OVA 4: Chapter 5

Forums Fan Stuff Fanfiction OVA 4: Chapter 5

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    [The next few weeks were spent like this. The girls would drill Tenchi all day, constantly using different techniques from their repertoire to train the Juraian prince. Tenchi has improved significantly as time passed, slowly conditioning through the many intense exercises being placed upon him. He would cook the meals for the three, after the rigorous training, and then they would go to bed. Ayeka has slowly been releasing her inhibitions to the point where she, and Tenchi and Ryoko, is comfortable sleeping in the large bed made for them courtesy of Washu.

About eight weeks in to the training, Ryoko is the first to wake up. She looks over at Tenchi and smiles. Then, as her gaze goes over her betrothed, she realizes Ayeka is missing. Ryoko sits up in the bed and looks around. She walks into the hallway, softly creaking along the wooden floor and a pair of legs sticking out of the bathroom catches her attention. Ryoko enters carefully to check on the princess.]

Ryoko: (Kneeling down next to Ayeka, a hand on her shoulder) Princess? (Shaking her gently) Ayeka?

Ayeka: Uhhhh…(Ayeka’s eyes open wearily and look up at Ryoko, watery stains from fatigue are brimming on the edges)

Ryoko: Wake up Ayeka. What’s wrong?

Ayeka: Ohhhh… Ryoko?(A groggy voice replies. A cough follows) I’ve been sick all night. I think I’ve got a fever.

Ryoko: (Placing the back of her hand to Ayeka’s forehead ) You do feel warm. Come on, let’s go take a nice hot bath. We haven’t had one of those in a while. (Smiles warmly)

Ayeka: Okay. That does sounds nice.

Ryoko: Let me help you up. (Lifts Ayeka up to sit on the corner of the sink) I’ll just tell Tenchi where we’ll be and then we’ll go.

Ayeka: Okay.(Nods softly, the motion hidden by rubbing tiredness away from face)

Ryoko crawls onto the bed and slowly moves on top of Tenchi, straddling his stomach. His breathing pushing his chest against her)

Ryoko: Tenchiiii. (She says very softly)

Tenchi: (Snores)

Ryoko: (Lightly brushes her hand against Tenchi’s face) Tenchi dear.

Tenchi: Huh? What’s up Ryoko?

Ryoko: Good morning my sweet Tenchi.(Leans down close to him, her fingers softly playing with his hair) Ayeka’s not feeling well today so we’re going to the onsen to take a bath. No practice today.

Tenchi: Okay, I guess I’ll go work in the fields.(Yawns) I hope Ayeka feels better.

Ryoko: We’ll be back soon.

Ryoko leans down and presses her lips to his. She begins to dismount and then halts herself, her lips curling into a grin.

Tenchi: What’s the matter?

Ryoko: Ha, ha. That’s the first time I’ve kissed you and you didn’t start bleeding.

Tenchi: What? (Blushes slightly and lifts himself out of the bed)

Ryoko: Bye Tenchi.

Ryoko dismounts off of Tenchi, grabs Ayeka, and teleports them both to the onsen. Tenchi gets out of bed and gets dressed in his usual clothes to work in the field.

Tenchi: Guess I should be grateful for the opportunity to go work in the field. I’ve missed it so much. (Stretches out his now toned arms and legs and yawns again)

[Tenchi leaves his room and heads out to the fields with his hoe and shovel in tow. Several hours pass while Tenchi busies himself with the carrots. It may be an alternate pocket world but the effort of work was always gratifying to the prince. While the toiling ensues, the girls have a nice relaxing day in the onsen; the steam filling up the entire vicinity and opening their pores. Ayeka’s sinuses clear completely from the warm vaporous air. ]

Ryoko: (Propped up with her arms against the side of the pool) Feel any better princess?

Ayeka: I do actually. Thank you Miss Ryoko. (Tilts her head and smiles to the former pirate)

Ryoko: Just Ryoko,(Holds a hand up quickly) and don’t sweat it. It was a good excuse to have a nice soak. Ahhhhhhhh. (Sinks down more into the warm water)

Ayeka: (Shifting her weight in the pool) So… how do you think Tenchi’s training is coming along?

Ryoko: Honestly, better than I expected. Tenchi’s got down all the moves I taught him and he’s even starting to make up his own based on Yosho’s style mixed with mine. (Closes her eyes)

Ayeka: So what’s next?

Ryoko: (Opens them again, her relaxed expression gone) The hardest part I’m afraid.

Ayeka: What do you mean?

Ryoko: In order for Tenchi to beat your brother, he’s got to be able to summon the power of the Light Hawk Wings at will. He won’t be at full power without them. I know that they are powerful, but your brother is crafty; I should know. (Crosses her arms behind her head, her golden eyes still focused to the glass roof)

Ayeka: That’s no easy task you’ve set for him. (Looks to her distorted reflection in the water) Even Miss Washu couldn’t get Tenchi to do it.

Ryoko: I know. He’s been able to summon their power when he really needed to. Like the battle against Kagato, or when you guys were being sucked into that black hole, and when the Chobi Maru fired. But other then that …

Ayeka: Indeed. I see. (Her eyes look to the onsen’s glass roof)

Ryoko: (Sighs and looks up as well then back to the princess.) The sun’s sinking pretty fast, must be about dinnertime. Let’s get back to the house. You need to go to bed early.

Ayeka: You’ll have no argument from me.

[The girls leave the onsen through the door this time, which Washu linked directly to the house.]

Ryoko: Wait here, I’ll go get us some clothes.

Ryoko disappears, leaving the room to get both of them some clothes. She returns with the fresh, clean attire. Ryoko hands them to Ayeka who immediately puts them on without realizing what she is doing. She looks down and gasps at the outfit she has donned.

Ayeka: Ryoko, what are these? (Apprehensively looks at her outfit as if it terrifies her) Where are my clothes?

Ryoko: You don’t need to dress so formal all the time princess. (Giggles a bit, much like their first time at the hot springs, however this time a friendlier note by far) Besides you’re sick, comfort is more important right now than formality.

Ayeka: (Hesitantly)Well … they are comfortable.

Ayeka is wearing a white tank top with a pair of khaki capris. Ryoko is likewise wearing a tank top that is red and shows off her midriff and a pair of blue jeans.

Ryoko: Let’s go find Tenchi.

[The girls walk downstairs to find the front room empty. Nothing has been moved from earlier nor is any sound being made upstairs. The kitchen is not in use since no aroma of food is present in the air.]

Ryoko: Where could he be? (Knocks on the wall)

Ayeka: Perhaps he’s still out in the fields.

Ryoko: Maybe, let’s go see.

[Ryoko and Ayeka cross the front room and to the door outside. They trek along the path to the shrine and as they near, the sounds of Tenchi making a battle cry increase in volume. Ryoko and Ayeka’s pace turns to a fast walk, then to a jog as the sound of him hitting something also comes into earshot.]

Tenchi: Hiya! Wa! Ha!

What they see amazes both of them. Ayeka and Ryoko had both seen Tenchi practicing with his grandfather. One of his drills had Tenchi jumping from one stump to another while hitting a stick hanging from a rope with his bokken. But Tenchi is taking this drill to a whole new level. Tenchi has tied a rope to a tree and strung it to another tree. While balancing on the rope Tenchi is hitting a small wooden block with his bokken from one tree to the next. He would hit the chip to one tree and before they could blink, Tenchi would be by the other tree hitting it back. Suddenly, Tenchi catches the wood block.

Tenchi: Hey Ryoko, Ayeka, are you feeling any better? ( He looks down to his fiancées, gripping the block, and the bokken resting on his shoulder)

Ayeka: Yes, much better thank you. Um … Tenchi … what are you doing? (She says as she peers at this training rig Tenchi crafted)

Tenchi: Well I finished out in the fields and you guys weren’t back yet so I started doing some training.

Ryoko: That’s pretty impressive Tenchi. (Motions a finger to come down) I’ve got something new for you to work on.

Tenchi: A new technique? All right, I’m listening.

Tenchi jumps down off the rope he was balancing on and lands in front of Ryoko.

Ryoko: Well, not exactly. (Hesitates in an awkward pause, then her eyes meet Tenchi’s) Tenchi, you need to be able to summon the Light Hawk Wings at will.

Tenchi: (Pulls his right arm behind his head and scratches, his eye contact disconnecting) Yeah, I’ve never been able to do that.

Ryoko: I know, don’t worry Tenchi, we’ll figure it out.

Tenchi: We’ll start on it tomorrow. Come on Ayeka, let’s go get you some soup. (Takes both Ryoko and Ayeka’s hands as they walk back to the house)

(Narration) As the next day dawns, Ayeka gets a lot better overnight and is back to her usual self. The next eight months go by without much change. Ryoko and Ayeka take turns sparring with Tenchi. They spend the afternoon in the onsen while Tenchi tries to summon the Light Hawk Wings. The Light Hawk Wings are a personal energy that only Tenchi can manipulate so Ryoko and Ayeka stay out of the way so they didn’t distract his focus. Things overall keep going well in training except that Tenchi still cannot summon the Light Hawk Wings.

[Ayeka and Ryoko are out in the onsen talking.]

Ayeka: Do you think he can beat Yosho without the wings? (Looks over at Ryoko concerned)

Ryoko: Maybe, but I’d rather not take any chances, otherwise you and Sasami are going home. He needs to be able to use the Light Hawk Wings, damn it! (Punches the water, causing a rather large wave to the other end of the hot spring) We only have two months left.

Ayeka: Maybe we’re going about this all wrong.

Ryoko: What d’ya mean?

Ayeka: Well, it’s just a thought, but … (Puts a hand to her chin as her voice trails off)

Ryoko: But what Ayeka? (Leans in to hear the princess better)

Ayeka: (Restates herself louder) Well, we’ve had Tenchi concentrating to try and create the Light Hawk Wings. Maybe we should concentrate on creating a disaster that he needs to use the wings for.

Ryoko: A disaster, hmm …(Sits back in her usual casual position)

Ayeka: Yes, well, every time Tenchi has been able to summon the Light Hawk Wings there was a crisis that he needed that power for. Like when we were being sucked into that black hole.

Ryoko: That’s it! (Running out of the bath to put her clothes on) Get dressed Ayeka! (Smirks and turns her head so she can see behind her) Today Tenchi will learn to create Light Hawk Wings!

Ryoko and Ayeka go out to the fields where they find Tenchi planting more carrots.

Ryoko: Tenchi! We’ve found the answer!

Tenchi: Huh? (Wipes the sweat of his work from his brow)

Ryoko: We’ve figured out how you can create Light Hawk Wings. Well, actually it was Ayeka’s idea but … (Clasps her hands together)

Tenchi: Okay, okay. So what do I need to do?

Ryoko: I want you to visualise something Tenchi. Close your eyes.

Tenchi does as Ryoko asks and she places her hands on either side of his head and focuses her power into putting Tenchi in a dreamlike state, allowing his mind to focus on what Ryoko is saying.

Ryoko: Tenchi, visualise Kagato is back. He’s knocked me down and he’s torturing Ayeka.

Tenchi: Urgh! (Tenchi starts to shake)

Ryoko: You’re in a cage Tenchi, you can’t get to us.

Tenchi: Ah! (Clenches his fists)

Ryoko: Try as you might you can’t get to us.

Tenchi: No! Don’t!

Ryoko: Kagato’s got his sword out. He’s charging me for the final blow.

Tenchi: Gahh! (Tenchi keeps shaking more and more furiously by the second.)

Ryoko: Tenchi! He’s striking. Help me! Help us. PLEASE, TENCHI!. (In a terrified frantic voice.)

Tenchi: Stop It! (Tenchi reaches out and grabs the Light Hawk Sword out of the air) Don’t you touch them!

Ayeka: Tenchi!

Tenchi wakes up realising the weapon he’s holding is near Ryoko’s throat.

Tenchi: The-the Light Hawk Sword. I did it.

Ryoko: Any time you need it just think of a reason why you need it and it will appear.

Tenchi: I understand… that makes sense. Thank you, both of you.

Ayeka: That was amazing Tenchi. I’m so proud of you. (Blushes deeply)

Ryoko: Not as proud as I am of both of you. Ayeka your idea was great and Tenchi, you’ve become stronger than I ever imagined you could be. (Rests her hands on her hips)

Tenchi: (Dissolves the Light Hawk Sword) Why don’t you two go back to the house and get ready for dinner. I’m almost done out here.

Ayeka: Okay, let’s go Ryoko.

Ryoko: Don’t be too long Tenchi.

[The next few days were a break. Rest and recuperation for all three. At least before his final training exercises.]

Tenchi: Ryoko, I want you to stay here for the day. I want to take Ayeka somewhere.

Ryoko: What?! (Yelling) Why do I have to stay?!

Tenchi: Ryoko, I promise it’s nothing against you. I love you just as much.

Ryoko: Then explain yourself, why are you doing this?(She looks at him with sad eyes)

Tenchi: Well…This is one big happy relationship. We do everything together but sometimes I would like alone time with each of you. I want alone time with Ayeka this time.

Ryoko growls then looks away and nods.

Ryoko: As long as you don’t do anything…don’t think of anything kinky, you hear me?!

Tenchi: (Laughing) Don’t worry, I’m not ready for that remember?

Tenchi goes to the living room where Ayeka is sitting, ready to go. She is wearing a nice silk dress that fits her body well but still allows her to keep her usual modesty. She smiles at Tenchi.

Ayeka: Shall we head out, Lord Tenchi?

Tenchi: (Nods and holds his arm out)

Ryoko turns around steaming but keeps her composure.

Ryoko: (Why am I even worrying? I know nothing will happen.)

[Ayeka and Tenchi go walking, her arm linked with his. They venture out to the shack where they had sheltered during the rain so long ago. They look out into the forests of the mountainside.]

Ayeka: No matter how many times I stand out here, or see all this, I always am filled with the beauty of it.

Tenchi: This place is great. I really love it here. The countryside, the quietness, all of it. (Looks over at Ayeka) I will be homesick on Jurai, Ayeka.

Ayeka lowers her head. She knows he loves it here, and so does she. Earth may not allow it but that is in only certain instances. She wants him happy wherever he is. If he is happy, then she is.

Ayeka: I know…It isn’t easy to have all this pinned on you. My royal obligations have the exact same issues. (Her violet gaze turns downward. She quickly picks up her head and attempts to keep the mood positive.) This may not be a date in town or anything but…I love it. (She smiles) No matter where it is. It’s always wonderful with you Lord Tenchi.

Tenchi: (Smiles and puts his arms around Ayeka.) As time goes on we will have better dates. I can’t exactly have these with Ryoko.

Ayeka: What?

Tenchi: Ryoko is great, and I love her. But I also admire quietness and calmness and these simple little moments and dates like these I really admire. It’s something I have with you that I don’t have with her.

Ayeka blushes and smiles.

Tenchi: We should head back. It’s about time for dinner.

Ayeka: Yes, of course. Shouldn’t keep Ryoko waiting. (Giggles)

[The rest of the evening passes without event. Tenchi makes breakfast for everyone the following morning and then they go out to the practice fields.]

Ayeka: Do you want to go first Ryoko, or should I?

1Tenchi: Actually, if you don’t mind I’d like to take you both on at the same time. (Taking his jacket off) Here Ayeka, you take the Master Key and I’ll use the Light Hawk Sword. (Tenchi tosses Ayeka the Master Key and then creates the Light Hawk Sword. Ayeka ignites the Master Key. The wood crafting shapeshifts into may different articulations until it forms into a long wooden handled Naginata).

Ryoko and Tenchi: Woah, how did you do that?

Ayeka: (Giggles a bit) Even though I prefer hand to hand combat, polearms are my preferred medium. I have some experience with them for means of self defence. I may have had guards and guardians such as Azaka and Kamidake, but my self defence skills are not to be taken lightly.

Ryoko: All right. Tenchi, (Creating her own sword) here I come!

Ryoko charges Tenchi. He seems to disappear and then appears behind her.

Tenchi: You’ll have to do better than that Ryoko.

Ryoko: How did you get so fast Tenchi? You weren’t this fast the other day.

Tenchi: The tightrope training is paying off, I suppose. (The right side of his mouth curls into a smirk)

Ryoko: I can sure as hell see that. (Her eyes grow wide then spark in interest)

Tenchi: Let’s see what you’ve got. (Motions them both to come at him)

Ryoko and Ayeka attack Tenchi again and again but Tenchi always immediately forces them onto the defensive. Each attack being parried or Tenchi manoeuvres in such a way so he riposte with his own counter offensive. Ayeka is stunned many times by the sheer force of which Tenchi exerts in deflecting an attack. The Light Hawk sword itself is an emittance of his power gained from his training, making him an incredible force.

Ryoko: That’s it, I give up (Dissipating her sword) I’m beat. Tenchi, there’s nothing else I can teach you.

Ayeka: Do you really think he can beat brother Yosho?

Ryoko: Well he sure did spank the both of us, so …

Tenchi: Ryoko, Ayeka (Dismisses the Light hawk Sword) I need to tell you both something.

Ryoko and Ayeka come to the front of Tenchi, both grasping each of his hands. Tenchi’s face turns red as he composes himself to say what he has to say.

Tenchi: I want to go forward on our promise as fiancées now. It has been nearly 9 months so far in this place and now I feel comfortable and fine around you both. It is time. I want us to marry.

Both Ayeka and Ryoko gasp and their eyes light up. He said it. Their dreams are now in fulfilment. Ayeka however looks down suddenly, her expression turning to the opposite of the elation that the others have.

Ryoko: (Eyes Ayeka) What is it, princess?

Ayeka: Tenchi… (Tears brim at the corners of her violet eyes) How can we here? I can only marry if it is by someone under the name of Tsunami in lineage.

Tenchi: (Looks down. It was true that her father would not allow it, nor would Yosho at this moment. He wanted them to marry as well as be intimate without soiling her purity and image.)

Ryoko: Dammit! (Looks away in disappointment, then she looks up, her expression showing she knows what they can do) Ayeka. You are in the lineage of Tsunami. YOU could marry me and Tenchi together. Then I would be in the lineage and I could marry you both together.

Ayeka: (Darts her head to the pirate) What?! But, how do I know you aren’t just trying to take him all for yourself?!

Ryoko: Listen, princess! (She walks up close to her, pointing a finger at her) For the last 8 months we have been living together, and we’ve helped each other out. We have compromised on everything! I want all 3 of us, this is the only way it can work. You have to trust me on this.

Ayeka reluctantly nods. Tenchi agrees. This is the way it has to be done, should it be done at all. Ryoko grabs Ayeka’s hand as does Tenchi grab Ayeka’s and Ryoko’s. The knowledge of this being the most unorthodox Juraian marriage is a bit overwhelming in Ayeka’s view, but she is strong and knows what she wants now. Ryoko’s free spirit has rubbed off on her a bit as well, especially since this could be considered an act of defiance. However, since it still follows Juraian code, nothing can happen to her.

[Ryoko teleports the three from the training ground to the front of the lake, the water glistening from the sunset’s light.]

Tenchi: Well…I don’t exactly have any rings or any token to give you both until we head back. (Shyly looks down, his voice sounding ashamed)

Ayeka: (Hooks her arm around Tenchi’s) It’s fine, this is a bond of spirit, so rings aren’t necessarily required except as a physical symbol.

Ryoko: (Giggles a bit) Tenchi, the title of being your beloved and the feeling it brings is all that matters to me.

Ayeka: You see. Being part of the royal family has taught me many things. Thanks to the obligations I have, I was taught how to do the ceremonies. I even witnessed a few while I was still there.

Tenchi: How different is this going to be?

Ayeka: Tenchi?(Looks at the prince confused)

Tenchi: I mean, isn’t it completely different to a normal Earth marriage?

Ayeka: Actually, it is quite similar. (She smiles) Having noticed movies and such on your Television I can justify this.

Tenchi: (Sighs with a shaky voice) Okay then, I’m ready for this

Ryoko: Same here.

Ayeka: (Arranges both Ryoko and Tenchi so they are standing right at the edge of the lake, the reflection of the water glistening a golden red hue on them both as they hold hands. Ayeka finally speaks) Tsunami, these two stand before you in the joining of matrimony.(Pauses) Do you, Ryoko, take Tenchi Masaki to be yours forever?

Ryoko: I do. (Says a bit harshly but it’s only to cover up her nervousness and excitement)

Ayeka: And do you, Tenchi Masaki … (Pauses suddenly, her hesitation from the past forming up in her body. The thought of marrying these two is something she never imagined she would do or see, especially since the 2 years beforehand)

Ryoko: Ayeka, come on…

Ayeka: (Her hands shake and clench together in apprehension) I..

Ryoko: Please, Ayeka…(Her eyes fierce but solemn to the princess)

Ayeka looks up to the artificial sky then to the woods, then the mountains. The setting sun reflecting in her eyes.

Ryoko: Ayeka! We have been living together for nearly a year now!

Tenchi: Ayeka, please.

Ayeka: Um..I..

Ryoko: Dammit, Ayeka! I love him, and you love him! He wants us both, can’t you see? (Puts her hand on Ayeka’s shoulder.) I am nervous a bit myself but I’m not letting it stop this. If Tenchi isn’t happy, I’m not either.

Ayeka: (Bites her lip and begins curling in on herself.)

Ryoko: Ayeka..(Shakes her head then yells out quickly) I care about you too. There! I said it!

Ayeka snaps her head up to Ryoko in an instant. The words she never thought would be said have just come to light, from Ryoko nonetheless. Ayeka could never have brought herself to fully say it without worry the pirate would take advantage of the statement.

Ayeka: I need to do this. For Tenchi’s happiness. For my own happiness, also.(Ayeka grips her hands together and steps up to the two people she cares for and loves. She lifts her head and clears her throat before talking. She takes in a deep breath before exhaling, ready to do what she has to) Tenchi, (She gulps. Tenchi nods to her) Tenchi Masaki, do you take Ryoko to be your wife?

Tenchi: I do (He says solemnly. Ryoko’s starts to tear up)

Ayeka: Then by the power of the Jurai Royal Family, I do pronounce you both husband and wife.

Ryoko flies forward in a quick motion and pushes a deep kiss to her newly-wedded husband. The force of her impact is so strong that it knocks him straight on his back. Tenchi quickly recovers and then rubs his newly-wedded wife’s arms softly.

Ayeka: Ahem!

Ryoko: (Pulls away and giggles mischievously) Let’s not forget you. (She smiles warmly and sincerely)

Ryoko then takes the part of wedding Ayeka and Tenchi. Ryoko has a few concerns in her head but knows that they both get along now. They barely fight nowadays. They compromise. Even the princess has changed to be more independent as a person over the last few months. Ryoko is now married to the man she loves, so there is no worry.

Ryoko: So I guess I qualify as part of royalty now, right? (She winks to Ayeka and chuckles)

Ayeka shudders slightly but nods right after. Thinking to herself that in a few seconds they’ll actually be related …

Ryoko: By the power invested in the Jurai Royal Family, I pronounce you both husband and wife.

Tenchi and Ayeka look at each other and a blush fills their faces. Tenchi leans in slowly as Ayeka closes her eyes and they embrace each other; leaning into a meaningful kiss. Ryoko looks up as the evening sky is swiftly turning into an array of artificial stars.

Ryoko: Well, there you have it. (She slightly laughs but stops as the other two are blushing and quiet)

Ayeka: We…We’re one.

Tenchi walks between both his new wives and his arms intertwine with theirs. They hold hands and look at the now dimly lit generated countryside together.

Ryoko: (Tears at the corner of her eyes form) At long last. It has been so long. We finally have arrived to this point.

Ayeka: I as well have been waiting for so long. It has finally happened.(Combs a lock of her hair gingerly out of her face)

Tenchi smiles contently. He also has what he wanted. He knows that with his new-found skill and his newly proclaimed wives that all will be well. The duel with Yosho, the future that awaits. All of it rushing through his mind. He is happy tonight. However, he knows that he needs to just relax and enjoy himself.

Tenchi: I love you, Ryoko and Ayeka Masaki.

Ryoko and Ayeka: (Simultaneously) I love you too, Tenchi.

Tenchi blinks then looks to the Masaki house in the mid distance. He nudges both his wives and they nod. The three walk to the Masaki house holding each other by the arm; Ayeka on the left, Ryoko on the right. They reach the house and step inside, ready for whatever the future will bring.

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Replies
      NinjaboyMMGN
      Great as always! Glad you were able to put about the whole training into the chapter.
      evilpii
      Participant
      none
      This chapter centers on the development of the relationship between Tenchi, Ryoko, and Ayeka during the compressed year following the scheme implemented in the previous chapter.

Overall, I did enjoy seeing the three of them grow closer and more open with one another. Ayeka in particular went through several changes, culminating in the climax of the wedding at the end. Even then, she was quite apprehensive but chose to have faith in her “sister-wife”, which was ultimately rewarded. Tenchi takes time to have a date only with her, showing that he can have exclusive moments with each of them, cherishing each of them separately, yet equally. Also, I really liked that Ayeka used Tenchiken in its naginata form from TMiL. That was a nice touch. Further, the scheming conversations between Ryoko and Ayeka fit very well as they become a tighter unit.

Likewise, the method used to give Tenchi control of the Light Hawk Wings was nice, reminiscent of how Katsuhito trained him mentally in the first volume of NNFT. As Washu surmised in OVA series 2, Tenchi’s issue is likely mental, calling on the power only in a crisis he cannot solve any other way. The setup of the situation is good, but I found the execution a bit lacking. While Ryoko was verbally describing the circumstances in Tenchi’s head, it might have been helpful to give a set-direction description as well. This essentially would allow to show what Kagato was doing, how desperate the event was, and the need that existed, make it more real, both for Tenchi and the reader.

The control acquisition scene also leads into my main critique of the chapter, pacing. The chapter covers about eight or nine months of time from the trio’s perspective, but several scenes just suddenly stop and have trouble flowing. Case in point, Tenchi’s acquisition of control over the Light Hawk Wings happens immediately due to the “mental crisis” Ryoko gave him. Then, the two women head to the house while he tills the yard again, and more days pass. Given Tenchi’s troubles manifesting the Light Hawk Wings over three OVA series, he might want to test a little before going back to farm work. This would be a great opportunity for him revisit some of Tenchi’s feats of might with the wings, have him rediscover them as he masters the wings. Moreover, he could find new ways to use them, but like he has with Ryoko’s tutelage, blending his learning from her with Katsuhito’s lessons. Admittedly, this could be tricky as the wings could distort or destroy the Time Saver itself, but that might, in itself, be an interesting point to address.

Another pacing issue seems to appear when Tenchi finally decides to marry the two women. He just beat them in sparring, and it seems odd that the first thing out of his mouth afterward would be “Let’s get married now”. Granted, he has had months to ponder the whens and hows of this, but the reader has not really been given insight into Tenchi’s mind. Ryoko and Ayeka have been the primary characters of this chapter, mainly discussing Tenchi and each other. Perhaps seeing some more of Tenchi’s thoughts could smooth this transition.

One last minor note was that while having Ayeka get a good bit of ink this chapter, which is greatly appreciated, Ryoko did not get a date with Tenchi. Granted, she likely has been getting a lot of flirtatious time with Tenchi while sparring, though that might not be really considered “romantic”. It might be interesting to see what Ryoko would consider “romantic” in a moment just between her and Tenchi. Perhaps Tenchi could show her his idea of romance, or vice versa, while adhering to their standing “no erotica until marriage” rule.

ookamilord
      Participant
      i really enjoyed this chapter. at some point i thought i was watching an actual episode
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.