OVA 4: Chapter 7

Forums Fan Stuff Fanfiction OVA 4: Chapter 7

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    Tenchi: (Tears pouring) Grandpaaaaaa!

Tenchi’s head lowers and sobs, screaming as his clenched fist hits the ground.

Tenchi: (In a shaky but dark and determined voice)Don’t worry Grandpa, I’ll get him.

The water in the lake shoots up and Garyu appears out of it. His confident grin signifying that he isn’t badly hurt at all. Only a few scratches are covering his apparel.

Garyu: So, you’ve finally shown yourself. (Floats over towards Tenchi)

Tenchi lays Katsuhito back down.

Tenchi: Ryoko, Ayeka, protect the others. I’ll take him!

Tenchi creates the Lighthawk Sword. The white beam of energy courses through his hands and into the congealed blade in-front of him. He readies his stance, preparing to strike.

Tenchi: (His eyes penetrating into the evil figure) Let’s do this.

Garyu manifests a dark energy in his hands and forms a hilt from which the rest of the shadow blade quickly follows. His smirk not diminishing in the slightest.

Garyu: (His fierce eyes look at the landscape and then the others. Something devious festering in his mind.) Why don’t we do this away from your loved ones. That way, no one else will needlessly get hurt.

Tenchi: (Looks back to the household in shambles. They are winded and can’t carry on. Thinks to himself ‘I cant risk them getting hurt in a fight I have to do alone.’) Fine by me.

Garyu: (Grins evilly) Then follow me.

Garyu opens a red portal and disappears inside it. Tenchi hesitates but then steps into the portal. He looks behind him at the ransacked Masaki home one last time before entering through to the mysterious place Garyu was leading him to.

Washu: (Yelling loudly) Tenchi! No! It’s a trap!

Ayeka: Lord Tenchi, don’t leave!

Ryoko: Tenchi, don’t go! This isn’t right!

Tenchi: I have to defeat him. I can’t risk your lives. (he looks back once more into both his wives’ eyes.)

Tenchi disappears into the portal, which closes behind him. The scene of the Masaki shrine slowly fades away as everyone remains speechless.

Ryoko: (Looks around in shock. Her eyes begin welling tears at the corners and she grits her teeth before yelling out.) TENCHI!!!!!

Ryoko: (Narrating) And that was the last time we saw Tenchi.

Ryoko is on a screen that seems to be a hologram. Her expression is crestfallen, her golden eyes devoid of happiness.

?: That’s awful. Where’s he now?

Ryoko: (sighs and regains her composure to face the figure she’s speaking to.)We don’t know Kiriko. That’s why we need your help.

Kiriko: I’ll go get Seina and the others.(bows slightly)

Kiriko reappears with a very sleepy Ryoko Balta, Amane, Neju, and Seina holding Fuku.

Amane: (Rubbing her eyes and yawning loudly)I hope you have a good reason for waking us Kiriko.

Washu: Oh there’s a good reason all right! (Washu nudges her way past Ryoko and steps in front of the screen).

Amane and Ryoko Balta: Huh?

Seina: Oh, Miss Washu, how are you?(Scratches the back of his head.)

Fuku: Meow! (Jumps out of Seina’s hands and runs over to the screen pawing at it) Meow, meow, meeoow!

Washu: Hello to you too Fuku. (Washu giggles) You’ve gotten so big since the last time I saw you. (Washu’s smile fades and she looks back up at Seina. Emerald eyes directly on his.) Seina we need your help. As Ryoko was telling Kiriko, six months ago Tenchi disappeared chasing after Garyu, a being who seems to have tapped into the most profound energies there are. He’s like an even more deranged Kagato.

Ryoko Balta: I remember hearing about him. I know it can’t be good if that’s the case.

Washu: It’s worse. Kagato at least had a scientific approach to what he did. It was possible to predict what he was going to do next and therefore predict where he would go next. Garyu follows no pattern and he cares about nothing except finding the Gem of Kagabe. And yet he has managed to remain a ghost over the past six months leaving us to chase shadows and rumours. We have yet to find any solid leads. All we know is he’s wanting to rebuild a planet.

Kiriko: Washu, did you say the Gem of Kagabe?

Neju: We’ll be in serious trouble if he finds that.

Amane: Hey what is this gem anyway? (Amane yawns)

Neju: Amane, you studied the history of the Helban System at the academy right?

Amane: Yeah, so?

Neju: Well do you recall how civilization ended in the Helban System?

Amane: Sure, the people compelled by greed developed a weapon to conquer the entire galaxy. But the weapon malfunctioned and wiped them out by mistake.

Neju: Answered correctly, according to the textbooks.

Amane & Kiriko: Huh, what do you mean?

Kiriko: Neju, are you saying that something was covered up?

Washu: That’s exactly what happened Kiriko.

Kiriko: (Grits her teeth and looks to Seina.)

Washu: (Putting on her professor’s uniform) The people of the Helban System did develop a weapon, well several actually, different blades, but it wasn’t to conquer the galaxy. They were created to defeat the ultimate beings, the gods of this dimension. They were one of the first of several failed experiments. They created the very thing based on Counter-actor energies but in a more controllable form. A form that could negate and even nullify lighthawk wings or at least manipulate them. When the gods found out about this Tokimi, the most vengeful of the goddesses, destroyed the planet and hid the weapons across the galaxy.

Seina: Miss Washu, if there was only one weapon how could it be hidden across the galaxy?

Washu just mentioned there were several blades, why would he refer to one weapon.

Washu: Well Seina, keep in mind that there are several that need to be used as a complete set, but one sword in particular was the catalyst to activating the full energy. To keep anyone from stumbling on a weapon of such power the goddesses used their powers to divide up the weapon. The sword which its creators named Kagabe was split into four pieces at the hilt and spread over the galaxy. But the most powerful piece of the sword, the Gem of Kagabe, was hidden very carefully. Even today very few know of its location. Garyu has found and reunited the fragments of the sword. All he lacks is a few pieces, the gem in particular. (Her expression goes grim) Then no one will be able to stop him.

Kiriko: What makes the gem so dangerous Washu?

Washu: It drains the goddesses’ very ethereal being. You see, the goddesses can take human form, but it’s just a shell. The gem will absorb the goddesses’ ethereal self once its shell has been destroyed. And anyone that could harness the power of the three goddesses would be invincible. The power of the Goddesses, like Tenchi’s powers, would be at the will of the blades’ wielder.

Seina: How can we help Miss Washu?

Washu: Keep your eyes open for Tenchi.

Seina: I will…(He looks at Washu.) Washu, Tenchi will be okay right? Honestly, if I could do anything to help him and to make things right…I would.

Washu:(Her eyes light up in surprise but then go back to normal to give a warm smile and nod.)

Ryoko: (Shoving her mum off the screen) And let us know anything that could lead us to him.

Seina: We’ll do our best. Seina out. (The com goes off)

Ayeka: Miss Washu … (Her voice is cracking)

Washu: Ayeka! I told you it’s Mom now!

Ayeka: (Ignoring Washu’s outburst) Why didn’t you tell them that you are one of the goddesses?

Washu: Well what fun would that be?

Ryoko: You really can’t help yourself can you?

Washu: (Smiling and trying to look cute. Putting her hands behind her back) I don’t know what you’re talking about Little Ryoko.

Ryoko: (Crossing her arms with a look of irritation. She sighs with a snarky and shallow tone.) Yeah, I bet you don’t.

Washu: Let’s go back to the house so we can regroup. Hopefully Sasami will have found some answers on Jurai.

Ryo-ohki shoots off into space with its long Myahh sound.

Ryoko: (Stands at the edge of the transparent hull of Ryo-Ohki, a hand lays against it as the space pirate gazes out at the stars.) I hope so, because I doubt Noike and Mihoshi found out anything.

Tenchi open’s his eyes slowly, feeling like a ton of bricks is laying on his shoulders. ‘What’s going on?’ His blurred vision makes it hard for him to perceive his surroundings. As they finally focus, his eyes widen at the sight laid before him. A desolate and metallic ground stretching to the horizons, and an atmosphere devoid of any light or cloud. A dead planet.

Garyu: About time you got up.(His casual voice is anything but inviting.)

Tenchi: (rubs his face and groans) G-Garyu? What is this place. Where am I?

Garyu stares into the distant starry sky for a bit before he turns his attention to Tenchi.

Garyu: Welcome to Oku II

Tenchi: Oku II?

Garyu: (Nods, almost as if he’s proud.) Yes. My home planet, or what’s left of it.

Tenchi looks around the dead world. He gets to his feet and notices that he isn’t bound, he expected Garyu to have restrained him whilst out cold. Garyu’s white hair flows in a gust of wind, his cloak billowing behind him exposing his outfit laden with pieces of blades. Hilts, tangs, pommels and the like all coating his body.

Tenchi: I can help you, Garyu. (He walks forward, trying to keep his voice controlled and soothing.)

A swoop of black energy radiates off of Garyu’s body, propelling Tenchi back down to the ground. His now long hair having fallen all over his face. A trickle of blood runs from his lip as he spits some out. Garyu turns to him with a wicked smile. His eyes embodying all of Tenchi’s fear pushing against him.

Garyu: Yes, Tenchi (He walks towards the prince.) It is you who will help me. I want your power, but I can get something so much greater by having a specific gem. (He opens his cloak to reveal a pommel with an empty chamber where a gem should be.) I can use you to rebuild this world and prove to all that I have the energy to make life, but it could kill you. (He smirks) However, with this gem, you wouldn’t have to die, and you could simply return home.

Tenchi: (Angrily) So you’re using me as a hostage? You bastard! (Tenchi lifts himself up and creates his lighthawk sword. Pointing it towards the dark figure.)

Garyu: (Shaking his head.) Tsk. Tsk, Tenchi. (He points a hand to Tenchi’s lighthawk blade carefully. He then rushes forward and grabs the blade, imbuing it with a black energy until it completely disappears altogether.)

Tenchi: What the-?! (He tries to make it once more and fails.) What did you do to me

As soon as he speaks those words a knee raises into Tenchi’s gut, sending him to his knees with blood dripping from his mouth.

Garyu: You’re going to help me get that gem, Tenchi. Whether you like it or not. (He then ushers out a dark, evil laugh that fills the entire planet with a chilling echo.)

A few days go by before Sasami finally arrives back from Jurai. She walks into the house and puts her things down by the door just as the Sun is going down over the now Winter laden hills.

Sasami: I’m home everybody.

Nobuyuki, Rhea, Katsuhito, and Tennyo are all sitting in the dining room and cheer at the sight of Sasami.

Nobuyuki: (Raises a greeting hand) Glad to have you back Sasami.

Tennyo: (Sipping some tea) Yes, and I’ll bet Ryoko and Ayeka are glad too. (Giggles softly)

Sasami: (Tilts her head slightly, with a puzzled look on her face) Why would they be especially glad Tennyo?

Katsuhito: Since they got back, the girls have picked up doing most of the chores around here. And quite well I might add.

Sasami: (Puts her head down, pouting a bit with a heaving sigh.) Oh, I see.

Rhea: (Notices Sasami’s pout) Oh don’t worry Sasami, the girls did a fine job but they can’t do it even close to as well as you. Isn’t that right Nobuyuki?

Nobuyuki: (Feeling Rhea’s elbow dig into his side as she sips her tea, he puts down his newspaper to speak) Yes! Yes! Not as well as you at all Sasami. I mean last night, Ryoko made some horrible noodles.

Ryoko: (Yells from the kitchen.) I heard that you dirty old man!

Nobuyuki: (Cringes behind his newspaper.) Ahhhhh!

Ayeka walks into the dining room to greet Sasami.

Ayeka: (Walks into the room and wipes her forehead.) Welcome home Sasami. We were just finishing cleaning up the kitchen. I assure you it is just as you left it.

Sasami: Thanks Ayeka. Has everyone eaten dinner yet?

Ayeka: Yes, are you hungry?

Sasami: No, I ate on the way. I’m tired though. I think I’ll go to bed.

Ayeka walks over and hugs Sasami. Sasami grasps Ayeka hard but is able to keep from crying. She’s maturing and Ayeka knows it to be true.

Ayeka: (Smiles warmly.) Ok, goodnight Sasami.

Sasami: Goodnight Ayeka.

Sasami turns and picks up her things to go upstairs.

Ryoko: (Appearing at the doorway between the kitchen and the dining room with an equally warm smile.) Don’t think you’re gonna go to bed without saying goodnight to your other big sister!

Sasami: ( Turns around and giggles at the cyan-haired woman) How could I forget you Ryoko. I just didn’t know if you wanted a hug or not.

Ryoko: You can bet your life on it. Get over here kid.

Sasami runs to Ryoko and the two hug like they have been doing it for years. Ryoko kisses Sasami’s cheek gently.

Ryoko: Goodnight Sasami. (Brushes one lock of the girl’s hair.)

Sasami: Goodnight Ryoko. Oh and by the way you should go see Washu.

With that, Sasami leaves with her things and goes off to bed. Ayeka and Ryoko head to Washu’s lab calling for the little scientist.

Ryoko: Washu! Where are you? Sasami is back and said we should come see you. (her hands placed at her hips)

Washu floats in front of the girls sitting on her chair, a holotop in front of her.

Washu: I wondered what took you two so long. Follow me. (Washu glides in her chair towards one of her big consoles) I’m afraid Sasami didn’t find much. Actually she didn’t find anything. I’m still waiting to hear from Noike and Mihoshi but I’m not very hopeful they found anything.

Ryoko: They will. They have to. Tenchi couldn’t have just vanished completely without any trace. (looks up at the multiple lights and energies fluxing along the top of the massive contraption.)

A week goes by with no news. The family goes about their routines taking care of the house and waiting for news. Washu and Katsuhito think it best to keep Nobuyuki and Rhea ignorant of what is going on so they’re told that Tenchi had gone on an exploration mission for Washu. Ryoko grows tired of waiting and decides to look for Tenchi herself. Ayeka agrees to go along with. They take Ryo-ohki and travel from planet to planet looking for any clues. Washu stays at the Masaki house searching with her dimensional scanners. Noike and Mihoshi go back to the GP again in hopes of finding something. And Sasami remains with Washu to continue to cook for the remaining family members.

Onboard Ryo-ohki travelling to yet another planet the girls are silent. They both look at a near planet by the name of Concor; a shady place with nothing much to offer.

Ryoko: There’s nothing. Not the slightest clue. (Hits the panel)

Ayeka: Ryoko…(grasps a part of her cloak) you don’t think Lord Tenchi’s beyond our reach do you?

Ryoko: No way! (Turns her attention to Ayeka instantaneously) Tenchi’s the most powerful warrior in this universe! No one could take him out!

Ayeka: (Pulling out the Master Key and looking at it) Why haven’t you come back Tenchi?

Ryoko: We’ll find him Ayeka. (Her voice comforting.) I know it.

All of a sudden a distress signal comes in.

?: Unidentified craft, you’re entering a battle with a fierce space pirate! Turn back!

Ryoko runs up to Ryo-ohki’s main console and keys up a visual.

Ryoko: Amane! Is that you?

Amane: Ryoko, thank God it’s you! We need help! I’ve never seen anyone fight like this. He’s killed hundreds of GP members!

The screen is full of interference and keeps breaking in and out of contact.

Ryoko: Are Noike and Mihoshi there?

Amane: Yeah, but I don’t know for how much longer!

Ryoko: Where are they?

Amane: On the planet Concor, I’ll send you the co-ordinates, they’re trying to keep him from getting away!

Ryoko: Any idea who it is?

Amane: We aren’t sure. We’ve never seen anyone like this. All we know is that there’s two of them. One has black long hair and the other’s is white and spiky.

Ryoko: (The pirate’s eyes light up instantly.)We’re close to there! Let them know we’re coming! Let’s go Ryo-ohki!

Ryo-ohki bursts through space at high speed and quickly travels through Concor’s atmosphere. She lands, Ryoko and Ayeka beam down already in their battle gear.

Ayeka: Oh my god.. (She gags and holds her arms close to her at the sight of the carnage.)

Ryoko: Princess! There’s no time.

Ayeka: Who…who could have done all this? It’s sickening. (she gingerly steps forward, trying to avoid the a pile of ash directly in front of her.)

Ryoko: Ayeka. (She reaches out her hand.) Take my hand. I’ll lead you through here.

Ayeka nods gently and takes Ryoko’s hand. They cross through the ravaged ruins of a planet, bodies and ashes scattered like a crematorium graveyard. The cries of fear from distant citizens filled the air with a mixture of fires. The princess tries to keep her eyes set on Ryoko on account of all the death and fire around them. They arrive at the corner of a large destroyed boulevard where Mihoshi and Noike are.

Mihoshi: Noike! Look, it’s Ryoko and Ayeka!

Ryoko and Ayeka run past Mihoshi and Noike who have taken cover behind a boulder.

Ryoko: (Shouts back as they pass) We got this ladies!

Noike: No! Ryoko! Ayeka! It’s G…

BOOM!(An explosion drowns out Noike’s last words as everything surrounding them crumbles around the two GP officers.)

Ryoko: What’d she say?

Ayeka: No idea! We can’t stop now, though!

Ryoko: Ayeka, you check on them. I’ll keep going.

Ayeka: (Nods) Alright.

Ryoko runs through the metropolitan ruins until she reaches the interior of the Concor Capital vault. Stepping on the steps of the colossal building, she stops abruptly when she sees who’s holding a strange item in his hand.

Ryoko: Tenchi! (Her eyes light up.) We’ve found you! ( She runs toward her prince.)

Tenchi looks different. His hair is longer than the last time they’d seen him. It is now down past his shoulders. He also has some facial hair. It isn’t very long and must have recently been shaved.

Ryoko leaps at Tenchi to hug him, Tenchi drops the item he’s holding and puts his arms out towards her.

Ryoko: Tenchi! I’ve missed you!

Her feelings of happiness have returned. He’s fine! They have now found their husband. Elation fills Ryoko. Suddenly, Tenchi grabs Ryoko by the throat.

Ryoko: Ack! Ten … chi!

Tenchi: … (growls)

Ayeka: Ryoko! Their fine. They’re…(Her happy expression turns to a look of fear and confusion.) Lord Tenchi!

Ryoko looks into Tenchi’s eyes. Her shocked countenance turns dismal and she shakes her head in disbelief.

Ryoko: (Her voice cracking, both from his grip and her beginning of crying.)N-No …

Garyu comes out from the ransacked vault.

Garyu: Tenchi! That’s enough! Don’t kill the damned witch.

Tenchi drops Ryoko. Ayeka rushes to her, dropping down to her knees to check on her as Ryoko chokes and coughs for air. She shakes and slowly gets to her knees.

Garyu: Go home girls. Tenchi is mine now.

Ayeka: Tenchi! Remember who we are! The ones you love! (She gets up and keeps a firm stance while Ryoko remains on her knees.)

Ryoko: No, Tenchi, it’s me! (She begins crying and reaching to him) It’s your little Ryoko! Come back to me Tenchi! (Sobbing)

Garyu: Hmm … I’ll make you ladies a deal. Bring me the Gem of Kagabe and I’ll give your precious Tenchi back. We’ll be waiting on this planet in two days time. Otherwise, you can say goodbye to your prince. (Tosses a wrinkled paper with starship coordinates.) You have until then. Let’s go Tenchi.

Tenchi picks up the item he had dropped. Garyu and Tenchi disappear into a red teleportation orb and fly up to a large ship that ascends from the destroyed planet to the stars.

Ayeka: What…What just happened?(She looks at Ryoko, rubbing her shoulder where a cut is bleeding)

Ryoko: His eyes … (She shivers and looks up to Ayeka gripping her arm tight enough it makes Ayeka wince) They were so cold.

Ayeka: (She turns her attention to the ashen ground.) Lord Tenchi…

Ryoko: (Getting up, ignoring the small wound.) Let’s go get Noike and Mihoshi. We’ve got to get back home.

Ryoko and Ayeka head back to where they left the two GP Officers. They had cleared the rubble and are for the most part unharmed. Noike seems wounded and Mihoshi is mostly fine.

Noike: I’m sorry, I tried to tell you. (She grits her teeth and shuffles, nearly losing her balance.)

Ryoko: It’s okay, Noike.

Noike: What would drive Tenchi to do this. I mean I haven’t known Tenchi for as long the two of you, but I never thought Tenchi would hurt a fly.

Ryoko: (She clenches her fists and shakes her head menacingly.) There is nothing that could cause Tenchi to do this.

Nokie: But Ryoko, that was Tenchi.

Ryoko: No, it wasn’t! My Tenchi’s eyes are warm and caring, those were so…cold. Garyu must be controlling him.

Noike: Like when Kagato was controlling you?

Ryoko: Yeah, it has to be. (Rubs her face and slings her fist down to her waist before placing it there.) Anyway, we’ve got to get back to Earth and get Washu to tell us where the gem is. We’re gonna trade it for Tenchi.

Ayeka: I don’t think Miss Washu will agree to that.

Ryoko: She’ll have no choice. I’ll force her if I have to.

Ryoko and Ayeka board Ryo-ohki while Noike and Mihoshi take their ship and head back to Earth. Everyone arrives and goes into a very quiet Masaki home. Everything is the same except that the house is nearly empty of its usual inhabitants. All of the people unaware of what’s really going on. Unaware of the events that are unfolding.

Ryoko: Everyone! We found Tenchi!

Tenyo, Washu, and Sasami all are sitting in the living room sipping tea and whatnot. At Ryoko’s exclamation, they all jump to their feet.

Tenyo: What? Where is he?

Ryoko: He’s out on another planet and wants us to visit.

Washu: What’s the catch? (Her arms crossing and her face tilted to Ryoko, a puzzled look about her.)

Ryoko: (Fidgets and giggles nervously.) Ha ha ha ha! Catch, what catch?

Washu: Ryoko!

Ryoko: We need the gem, Washu.

Washu: (Swings her arm to the side.) Absolutely not! Out of the question!

Washu marches into her lab when Ryoko appears in front of her and grabs her by her shirt. Ryoko leans down pulling the redhead’s face just inches from hers.

Ryoko: Listen Mom! I have no intention of giving up the gem, but I need it for bait. Now you’re going to tell me where it is, or I’m going to beat it out of you. One way or another, you’re going to give it to me!

Washu: You’ve grown so much little Ryoko… You aren’t the girl you used to be. You’ve become a woman. (Tears form in Washu’s eyes but she blinks them away) All right, I’ll tell you where it is. Take me outside.

Ryoko and Washu go outside followed by Ayeka, Sasami, Noike, Mihoshi, and Tennyo. They stand in a piece of the clearing near the house near the edge of the lake.

Ryoko: Well where is it?

Washu: Under your feet silly.

Ryoko: Huh, you mean this pebble? (Ryoko reaches down, picking up an ordinary looking gray stone. It’s no bigger than ten centimeters.)

Washu: (Taking it from Ryoko.) Not just any pebble.

Washu closes her hand crushing the pebble. When she opens her hand again it reveals a small black gem.

Washu: This is the Gem of Kagabe.

Everyone: Ooohhh.

Ryoko: You mean this whole time…

Washu: Where better to keep something but in plain sight?

Ryoko: Listen, I have coordinates to the place where Garyu wants to meet us. We can head there but if we go, there may be danger. (She faces the group with the composure of a leader. She is hurt but she knows that in order to get Tenchi back, this risky endeavor needs to be done.)

Sasami: I’ll stay here and keep with Tenchi’s father.

Tennyo: I’m going. I have to see my brother.

Washu: Of course I am!

Ayeka: You know I am of course.

Ryoko: (Nods and a confident smile stretches across her face.) Good. Let’s go!

They all board Ryo-Ohki and get themselves ready. Ryoko puts in the coordinates to the planet and they warp to the place which Garyu awaits. They arrive at the desolate world and land cautiously on the flattest surface they can. All the group exits and looks around the barren wasteland.

Washu: So that’s what Garyu wanted…

Ayeka: Look, it’s Garyu’s ship.

Everyone looks up to see the large ship coming into view. All of a sudden a red orb comes down landing on the ground several feet from the group. Out of the orb come Garyu and Tenchi ready for battle. Garyu’s cloak opens, exposing the handle with the pommel missing it’s gem.

Garyu: (Bowing ominously.) Welcome to Oku II..

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Replies
      Yosho24
      Awesome as usual! I loved the plot twists and how you incorporated the cast from GXP. Good work! :D
      evilpii
      Participant
      none
      At first, this chapter would seem to be the throwdown between Tenchi and Garyu, the latter having easily dismantled nearly every other character. However, this is subverted by having Garyu offer the seemingly noble gesture of changing location. Then, the chapter takes an unexpectedly different tone, mirroring TMiL2‘s concept and atmosphere.

The benefit of this bait-and-switch is that Washu and Garyu have some time for exposition. Washu finally reveals the secrets of Kagabe while Garyu shows Tenchi his ruined world, as well as a more surprising demonstration of his power. The secret of Kagabe and the use of the Helban from Okuda’s NNFT is original and played to nice effect. Garyu’s motives differ from his manga counterpart’s, wanting to resurrect his world rather than die with it, though his methods have not, exchanging Tenchi for Ayeka in the mindwarp scheme. Realistically, given Garyu’s drive in the manga, this seems a more appropriate use of him to revitalize his planet, rather than yield himself to its death. Also, the plans for the Counteractor’s energy through Kagabe opens some new possibilities considering its ability to negate Light Hawk Wings.

As mentioned above, this chapter mimics the concept for TMiL2, splitting the household to search for Tenchi. After six months, Ryoko and Ayeka leave in Ryo-Ohki, Sasami spends time on Jurai, Washu monitors transdimensional conduits, Noike and Mihoshi seek the aid and resource of the Galaxy Police. This garners some cameos from GXP, which are thankfully nonintrusive. However, while the parallel is apparent, the deep feelings of desperation seen in TMiL2 are not quite achieved here. Ryoko and Ayeka are not shown seeking and failing time and again, pushing them to rely on one another to resist succumbing to hopelessness. Arguably, this might be a missed opportunity to show that side of them, to break them to rebuild them stronger. In this way, this chapter suffers from the same staccato gaps as Chapter 5, though not as severely.

Yet, the confrontation with “Dark Tenchi” in the chapter’s climax does grab the reader’s attention. The complete “face-heel turn” is not unexpected given Garyu’s original incarnation, but is played to nice effect by having him physically threaten one of his wives, as well as committing other atrocities. As this evil streak will likely not be permanent, how Tenchi handles what he was forced to do could be an interesting character study. It could also serve to develop Ryoko since, as the author noted through her, she was dominated and manipulated by Kagato. Those shared experiences could be explored quite easily from this event.

ookamilord
      Participant
      i really enjoyed this chapter and glad to see yosho aint dead yet. at times i think he is part saiyan with how many times he is near death and then comes back and becomes stronger. yosho super saiyan jurain 2 glowing spiky purple hair.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.