Overlooked Gems: Series that SHOULD be popular but aren’t

Forums Off Topic Other Anime Overlooked Gems: Series that SHOULD be popular but aren’t

• This topic is empty.
    Ever watched a show you somehow stumbled upon and thought it was amazing, but then went to look around and find that hardly anyone is watching/has watched it? Well here’s an awesome place to list them. Whether it never got licensed, or it did get licensed and just somehow fell through the cracks we’re looking for overlooked gems!

I’ll start us off with a few personal favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=</YOUTUBE&gt;

Viewing 108 reply threads
  • Replies
      Yugi12
      Big O

I really enjoyed watching this anime when it was on Toonami.

For those who don’t know Big O is about a city called Paradigm City. 40 years ago everyone lost there memories.

The search for what happened 40 years ago involves cool characters and giant robot fights.

Design-wise the show looks more like an American cartoon then a Japanese anime.

Big O was never popular in Japan, and it only got a second season because it did well in American, but that sadly wasn’t enough to get it a third season.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Big O…I vaguely remember that one… waaay back on Toonami. I remember giant robots fighint, which was cool, & I think it had a complex story as well, one that didn’t catch my 10 year old’s attention very much, but perhaps if I revisited it now I’d have a much better appreciation for it.
      Yugi12

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Big O…I vaguely remember that one… waaay back on Toonami. I remember giant robots fighint, which was cool, & I think it had a complex story as well, one that didn’t catch my 10 year old’s attention very much, but perhaps if I revisited it now I’d have a much better appreciation for it.

It’s one of those shows that people tend to either love it, or they tend to hate it.

Anonymous
      As far as overlooked Gems easy

Princess Tutu

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/princess_tutu_260_1024.jpg" />

You remind me of the babe, What babe? Babe with the power

At a glance it looks like a really shoujo-esque magical girl show with no substance but dancing, but after watching it, not only was I completely in love with it, it became one of my favorite shows BECAUSE of the plot, the dub is fantastic, and the music even better, completely overlooked because of what people see on the cover

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      This seems silly that someone hasn’t posted this, and it kinda’ goes w/o saying (Dual fans are rolling their eyes at this point)but for anyone here that hasn’t heard of it yet…DUAL! Seriously! I’ve juuuust started watching the series via youtube, and progress is admittedly slow due to my schedule, but so far I LOVE IT! I won’t go even try to go into depth about the premise or plot (we’ve got experts for that!) but suffice it to say, if you love Tenchi Muyo (especially oav) you simply can’t go wrong with Dual.

English:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR5xeVMSOr8” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR5xeVMSOr8

Japanese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16l-HibbHPM&feature=related” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16l-HibbHPM&feature=related

can’t decide which to watch first…

jgzinv
      The dub is great and they did do it freestyle to add to the series.

The jap is fine, but you need to watch the fansubs… the Pioneer subs are just completely awful.

Characters will be rattling on and on and nothing on the screen…. then you’ll get a half sentence if that.

Fansubs are much better… there’s a link in the forum here where I have all the video links to both.

Speaking of Dual:anything that Tanaka Rei ,who is the original Sanada Mitsuki in Dual,is in but especially

Shippo No Tenshi/Angel Tales.

Of what I am currently watching I would have to say I”S/I”S Pure,the problem there is that it’s rated M

mainly for the extra mini-episodes at the end of the I”S Pure regular episodes.The Ichitaka’s Delusional Diaries.

Which are more risque than the regular episodes.

Wedding Peach,got a bum rap from early ‘reviews’ at Animerica magazine.Didn’t deserve it.Fact is just as good

as Sailor Moon.Especially since some of the crew on Sailor Moon also worked on it.Interesting enough,Hingaku/Angel Daisy

is played by the same seiyuu that played Aisha Clanclan on Outlaw Star and a certain Asuka Langley Soryu on Eva!

Madlax,I don’t know why more people don’t like it,maybe because it’s the middle of the famous Girls With Guns trilogy

of NOIR/MADLAX/EL CAJUN DE LA BRUJA and it’s always tough being the middle child for some reason.But just as good

or maybe better.

Big O,I think the only reason it’s not as popular is because of the animation style.I could be wrong.But it has some

really cool episodes.

Full Metal Panic! could use some more love, considering it’s dwarfed by something with a similar title that reminds me of Harry Potter. I can recall many instances when I or somebody else tried to bring it up, only to be interrupted in a way impling we were about to talk about Fullmetal Alchemist. If the conversation is not only about anime, then there’s a war movie which has been sodomized by people continually repeating quotes.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

SilverWhisper wrote:

if the conversation is not only about anime, then there’s a war movie which has been sodomized by people continually repeating quotes.

Then of course, that war movie got referenced in Fumoffu?. 😆

^The title and the boot camp scene yes, but nothing about eternal love for five dollars. Mind you, if Chidori offered me the latter, I would certainly oblige. :AAANND:
      jgzinv
      Well they did have some weird stuff later on in the manga… but at least it ended well.
      I add my vote for FMP.I really enjoy what I have of it,which is The Second Raid vol.3 & 4.

I’m a Tessa fanboy myself.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

I’m a Tessa fanboy myself.

http://us13.memecdn.com/Bro-Fist-lvl-99_o_116280.jpg" />

jgzinv
      Eh… Kaname wins in the end…. but Tessa’s contribution of decent.

Nice pic tho…

Almael
      The most overlooked with the highest worth points:

Legends of Galactic Heroes

nuff said.

I don’t know if I mentioned it,but Tenshi no Shippo/Angel Tales.I think I didn’t mention it because it’s OOP.

It’s a nice harem comedy where all the girls are really guardian spirits sent to watch over the hero,Goro.Also they’re

all his dead pets come back to life.And the fact that the lead heroine,Ran the Goldfish,happens to be voiced by

Tanaka Rei in the original Japanese and Michelle Ruff in the English language dub has nothing to do with it,

No sirreee…ducks….

Oh…looooookkkkkkiiiiieeeee….isn’t that Lina Inverse over there? 😆

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      [BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DakRYsUIiIE[/BBvideo]

Been re-watching it this weekend, and I can’t get over how much I love a hard sci-fi story in the vein of A. C. Clarke. It really tweeks my inner Apollo kid.

I saw the Azumanga Web Daioh ONA on Youtube yesterday.For something that’s only 4 minutes long it’s pretty hysterical.If you haven’t seen it or Azumanga Daioh try it.
      Vision of Escaflowne

fans of Isekai will love this title, guaranteed

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vnP5Sxd49Y[/BBvideo]

Fushigi Yuugi “The Mysterious Play”

a cross between The Never Ending Story and Chinese mythology, or at least how I’d describe it

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29aOmtRvOtI[/BBvideo]

Mermaid Forest / Mermaid’s Scar

highly overlooked Rumiko miniseries, must watch for fans of Japanese mythology and Rumiko’s works

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggPqAxjcZxY[/BBvideo]

I have the first two,well the Bandai Super Legends of Escaflowne and the first three volumes of the first season by Pioneer/Geneon for Fushigi Yugi.I been thinking about Mermaid Forest off and on.

Again I will mention Shippo no Tenshi alias Angel Tales.Mainly because of Tanaka Rei’s recent nuptials so I thought it would mention something she’s done.

Also if you want fun in learning Japanese,there’s always the fun and kawaii as well as hilarious

Bottle Fairy featuring Horie Yui.

Oh,and as far as MAgic Girl shows go,Pretear,speaking of Horie Yui,Pretear needs more love.But especially

Mikage/The Princess of Disaster aka Horie Yui! 😆

Almael
      You know Vision of Escaflowne and Fushigi Yuugi are hugely popular. Fushigi Yuugi was very influental, too. Mermaid Saga = Mermaid’s Forest /Scar is older. Any Rumiko Takahashi is popular anyway… They fit the classic thread more than here, although, Escaflowne imho is not really classic.

I guess I will recommend Mamono Hunter Yohko. :D

There’s an old and good one I just can’t recall the name now…

Almael wrote:

You know Vision of Escaflowne and Fushigi Yuugi are hugely popular.

Change “are” to “were” and you might have a point. But the topic is about titles that are not popular now and not exclusively about titles that were never popular. Also being considered influential really doesn’t mean a damn thing, when we’re talking about the popularity of a product outside Japan.

Almael

shades of blue wrote:

Change “are” to “were” and you might have a point. But the topic is about titles that are not popular now and not exclusively about titles that were never popular. Also being considered influential really doesn’t mean a damn thing, when we’re talking about the popularity of a product outside Japan.

Then there would be no need for a non-popular thread. A simple listing of classics would do which already exists for ages on well known sites.

Influental means a lot for the anime universe which is as good as everything. Who cares about anything not related to anime then?

And if you haven’t notice pretty a great portion of cartoon is very like anime now and not just the look but also the way they are written. Also not to mention the computer games and movies industry, lots of anime like designs as well as paid japanese staff.

Anonymous

shades of blue wrote:

Also being considered influential really doesn’t mean a damn thing, when we’re talking about the popularity of a product outside Japan.

Depends on your definition of influential, because a shows “influence” is extremely broad, on the one hand yes its success can gauge how a number of business decisions may be made, but those decisions can be affected by how said show does in other regions, also its influence, largely by its popularity, can influence people to do a number of things, and the larger its influence the more it touches, and in the late 90’s, I don’t know a webring I went on that didn’t have Fushigi Yugi somewhere on it, so yes you can make that statement, but it wouldn’t be right, because you’re largely ignoring the other half of what it is and using that tired argument.

As far as shows that should be more popular?

Mononoke, really unique art style, great storytelling

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/mononoke.jpg" />

Are we limiting the thread then to CURRENT series or what? I haven’t seen too many current shows and all I know is what I read here and other forums and review sites like Anime.com.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Just to muddy the waters 😉 , I’m gonna’ cheat and post something that’d never be popular, but still a gem:

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrrMiv-qRUg[/BBvideo]

Now for the truth:

Quote:

Oji Tanaka has a wife, a child and a mundane job as a salary man in Tokyo’s modern society. But life wasn’t dull for him to begin with; 15 years ago, he was known as “Gabriel”, leader of a short-lived heavy metal band called Black Heaven. Oji’s life gets a sudden change in direction when he is invited by a mysterious blonde woman named Layla to pick up his Gibson Flying V and once again display his “legendary” guitar skills, not knowing that his music generates power for a massive weapon in an intergalactic war.

Created by Hiroki Hayashi, animated by AIC, produced by Pioneer LDC.

Also not Tenchi-related at all, but a couple of familiar faces pop in. :AAANND:

Almael wrote:

Also not to mention the computer games and movies industry, lots of anime like designs as well as paid japanese staff.

The funny thing is, the majority of anime animation work is done in South Korea these days. So can you call animated manhwa/manhua adaptations anime as well?

Anonymous

SilverWhisper wrote:

The funny thing is, the majority of anime animation work is done in South Korea these days. So can you call animated manhwa/manhua adaptations anime as well?

No, its how its animated and partially how its designed that make what the final product is, what it is. Who does it doesn’t matter, If an American makes spaghetti, which is an Italian dish, is it still Spaghetti? Yes, as long as he makes it correctly. Both France and the US have tried to emulate Anime (France being the closest) BUT more often then not, the design is correct, but the actual mechanics of the animation is a hybrid of there own fundamentals and traditional Japanese anime.

On the subject of South Korea, all they do is inbetween work, so “the majority of anime animation is done in Korea” is only partially correct, they are filling in the gaps, but they’re only doing the majority in that department, everything else is done in Japan and not every studio does it (you’ll never see Ghibli touch it) and they’re still copying anime’s fundamentals (hence why its “anime”, because thats what they’re being paid for), it doesn’t just automatically become uniquely Korean because they are Korean.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

SilverWhisper wrote:

*cough*Kurokami*cough*

Dagon123 wrote:

it doesn’t just automatically become uniquely Korean because they are Korean.

Unless of course, it’s actually Korean. 😉

Anonymous

Nobuyuki wrote:

Dagon123 wrote:

it doesn’t just automatically become uniquely Korean because they are Korean.

Unless of course, it’s actually Korean. 😉

Yea I meant in the context of Korean’s being the cheap labor part for everyone in the world who makes animation, just because they work on it, doesn’t mean its Korean, not in that Koreans can’t have they’re own unique animation, I know they do, lol I did laugh pretty hard when I saw this

http://cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/the-mike-toole-show/51868/macross-toy.jpg" />http://cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/the-mike-toole-show/51868/gundam-toy.jpg" />

I know this is about anime but can we also include manga as well?I would like to mention one manga gem that has gone OOP but people ought to read if they have a chance:Inubaka:Crazy For Dogs.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      [BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2yKFMPgXmA[/BBvideo]

I am so glad to see this come out again! :D

:washu: :washu: :washu: :washu: :washu: :washu:

Oh yeah! I bought the entire Pioneer/Geneon boxset at Borders.So much fun.It was one of the first series I watched completely subbed(other than fansubs).I hope that Funi keeps at least some of the original

extras.My favorite is the Got Wings that has Rakka goofing off. 😆

My favorite overall character would be Reki.If I remeber right her seiyuu also played Zakuro in Tokyo Mew Mew.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Older fandom (z-man) may remember that there’s one little ol’ show I like on par with (if not more than) Tenchi: mostest epic space battles, hot red-headed alien chicks, part-M*A*S*H, part-Star Trek, a little Animal House and lots of funny. Gentlemen… Behold!

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfSDNPFCPfY[/BBvideo]

Oh wait… you wanted something a little more serious informative?

We can do that. 😉

OK, OK, this time for real. 😎

Ok,so why did I suddenly think that one chick resembled Lisa Hayes from Robotech?
      I personally think Case Closed/Detective Conan & Lupin III deserve more love in the states, both great series that got pretty rough treatment stateside.

Oh well at least VIZ has had better luck with the Conan Manga so far then Funi did the anime *knock on wood*

And for newer series, Tatami Galaxy needs a whole Bucket of love! Still sad Funi streamed it but never gave it a physical release, i’d kill to have a nice fancy Tatami Galaxy Blu-ray with a nice english dub. Sigh…oh well.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Soundmonkey44 wrote:

I personally think Case Closed/Detective Conan & Lupin III deserve more love in the states, both great series that got pretty rough treatment stateside.

I love Lupin III! I haven’t seen Case Closed or Detective Conan though. Are they similar to Lupin II?

chucklocker wrote:

Soundmonkey44 wrote:

I love Lupin III! I haven’t seen Case Closed or Detective Conan though. Are they similar to Lupin II?

Case Closed is Detective Conan’s U.S. Title, it came out back when companies still liked to change names XD.

But ahh yeah, both Conan & Lupin III were/are made by TMS. Detective Conan AKA Case Closed here in the states is about a teenage detective that gets drugged while following some shady men, but instead of the drug killing him it shrinks hi down to the size of a kid, so basically, we have a series about a little kid solving murders, arson, etc. Which is pretty fun overall imo. Sadly Funimation couldn’t get the anime to work here so they only dubbed about 1/6th of it and 6 out of 15 movies. Thankfully VIZ has had better luck with the manga and Volumes 1-43 are available stateside and a new volume comes out quarterly!

But yeah, its a fun series, there was even a special not to long ago where Conan & Lupin III meet one another, sadly it has never been brought stateside… dag nab it Funi…let go of Conan’s license already so Discotek can save it like they did with Lupin III!!!!

Megazone 23: Part 1, which was essentially Macross/Robotech’s redheaded stepsister, but since the sequel was MD Geist-grade awful, I suppose it’s best to leave it hidden in the closet.
      jgzinv
      I really prefer the Conan movies over the series unless it’s the Black Gang Saga parts, otherwise there’s just next to no development. Shinichi x Ran forever. 😉
      Colleen Clickenbeard is great in the dub as Rachel. 🙂
      Anonymous
      One show that I’ve loved that from the beginning that never really got a chance was

Tweeny Witches.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/631595120073.jpg" />

Now see already we have a problem, just say that name to yourself, you’re probably already not excited, and the japanese name wasn’t much better ‘Mahou Shoujotai Arusu” Or ‘Magical Girl Squad Arusu” which, once you see the show, is the farthest thing from what your mind envisions when you say magical girl.

Plus the show was picked up by Media Blasters, and the best they could name it was “Tweeny Witches”? (Why not Steampunk Witches?, or something more Tim Burton) but this was far and wide one of those rare home run dubs they made, as not only did it have great talent backing it (Arusu is the same girl who played Sakuya, lol) but their were quite a few voices from talent outside of anime (which was a pleasant, surprise).

From design, to characters, everything is strong and unique and I’d recommend it to anyone who wants a different taste of Magical Girl.

I think I said this before,but Wedding Peach certainly is a lot better than it’s unfortunate rep in North America has been.You simply need patience and a good sense of humor to enjoy it.The second season really takes off. 🙂

Plus Sailor Moon herself,Mitsusihi(sp?)Kotono plays the ditzy Devil/Love Angel wannabe Potamos! 😆

Almael
      Back to the old days of entertainment and drama:

Idol Densetsu Eriko = Legendary Idol Eriko

I will mention an old and famous but as good as gone show:

Cat’s Eye

The original anime/manga not the old or new live action.

The one series- nay, FRANCHISE- that I’m not seeing here is ‘The Slayers’. One of the few good things to come out of Central Park Media/US Manga Corps (another being, of course, ‘Photon’). ‘Tis quite the Excellent blend of fantasy, adventure, comedy, MILD romance, yada yada… and best of all, the dubs were actually on equal footing with the original Japanese VA’s as far as the emotion the actors/actresses put into their various roles. Plus, one cannot overlook the main character’s- that is, Lina Inverse’s- influence in other media. I saw earlier that y’all were talking about FMP. Well, look in the first episode of the first series to see a magazine entitled ‘Dragon Magazine’ (an actual publication, BTW) featuring her likeness. Also in the world of gaming… well, one only needs play the original DOTA or DOTA 2 to find her.
      Almael
      Well, Slayers is very much alive and popular if you ask me. Just look at the recent Slayers Revolution/-R.

Miyuki needs new love!

As well as other near dead ones: Master of Mosquiton; Urusei Yatsura, 3×3 Eyes

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I will agree that Slayers is fairly popular all things considering (I’ve very familiar with it, despite me not being a very accomplished otaku and it never being on Toonami, and now it’s on outlets like netflix) but I totally agree with Makoto in that it is a hugely influential series to say the least, in Japan and abroad, in different mediums, and even amongst fellow anime creators/artists (now what DID we do with that Tenchi/Slayers crossover pic?). Any positive recognition it gets, it deserves.

To contribute, one series that I’ve just fairly become acquainted with is popular in Japan (so I hear) but not as much here stateside save for those of us “in the loop” about anime (this is likely because there is no official English dub yet).

I’m talkin’ about…

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/kaiji_zps50d91a9b.jpg" />

Kaiji!

I’m not going to give away too much, but the premise involves a young delinquent fighting his way out of his own self-dug pit of debt and overcoming a lot of external obstacles and inner turmoil along the way. It’s not very old (2007) but imo it will likely go down as a classic. Its messages are very topical and relevant to modern youth culture (in Japan, here and elsewhere) but are also timeless. I can’t recommend it enough.

If I’m wrong about this not being very popular outside Japan, and I’m the only one who didn’t hear about this anime sooner, I’d be all the happier. This is one of those things that needs to be experienced by everyone.

Anonymous

Makoto wrote:

One of the few good things to come out of Central Park Media/US Manga Corps (another being, of course, ‘Photon’)

Hey hey hey, lets not forget Lodoss War shall we? :Tenchismile:

But yea Slayers is a pretty big franchise as far as cult following goes and influence, I knew a guy once who was really hardcore into Slayers.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/kaiji_zps50d91a9b.jpg" />

Kaiji!

I think you might like this who ^_-

Dagon123 wrote:

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

The one series- nay, FRANCHISE- that I’m not seeing here is ‘The Slayers’. One of the few good things to come out of Central Park Media/US Manga Corps (another being, of course, ‘Photon’). ‘Tis quite the Excellent blend of fantasy, adventure, comedy, MILD romance, yada yada… and best of all, the dubs were actually on equal footing with the original Japanese VA’s as far as the emotion the actors/actresses put into their various roles.

Hey hey hey, lets not forget Lodoss War shall we? :Tenchismile:

But yea Slayers is a pretty big franchise as far as cult following goes and influence, I knew a guy once who was really hardcore into Slayers.

As true a statement as that is, you saw the gap between ‘Try’ and ‘Revolution / Evolution-R’ is almost that of a decade, correct? Same thing with the ‘Tenchi’ OAVs… then again, too much of a good thing at once can ruin consumers’ tastes.

And yes- the original ‘Lodoss War’ OAVs were tight as hell. But once the series rolled around, not so much.

I love the Lodoss War OVA.It’s what changed my mind about Yamagauchi Kappei.Initially I hadn’t thought much of him as an actor when I first watched Inuyasha subbed,but his role as Etoh in Record of Lodoss War

forced me to change that opinion.He was also in another rather underrated(at least in North America)

series:Wedding Peach.Once you get past the oepning episodes and especially toward the second season

of Wedding Peach it just gets better and better.Really by the end it’s Romeo and Juliette type of show. :D

I don’t know if either Ikki-tousen or Blassreiter fit the criteria for this thread or not,not knowing how popular they are,but if you haven’t gotten around to seeing either of them you should.

Almael wrote:

Well, Slayers is very much alive and popular if you ask me. Just look at the recent Slayers Revolution/-R.

Miyuki needs new love!

As well as other near dead ones: Master of Mosquiton; Urusei Yatsura, 3×3 Eyes

Maybe it’s his simple art style, but I never really liked anything by Mitsuru Adachi.

Considering how series come and go, Urusei Yatsura is one of the few which has basically been immortalized by Japan. Albeit, it’s more about Lum’s marketability, which is directed more to girls than the series shōnen roots. As for the United States, well it’s old. From the decreasing familiarity and ultimately popularity of InuYasha today, it’s like how many people talked about Urusei Yatsura when InuYasha was big (circa 2003). Funny, Ranma actually did reasonably well in the U. S. along InuYasha despite being a total flop in Japan.

Nevertheless, I’m seeing some sort of larger interest in older anime titles nowadays, as newer ones pumped out tend to be as sucky as most of today’s Western animation. So maybe a lot of aforementioned “gems” will be popular again.

The problem is finding them.Even with Youtube and the rest of the internet there are some gems that you

can’t find any more.

My prediction is that Usagi Drop and shows like it will end up being the Gems of the Future.

Almael
      There are worst styles than Mitsuru Adachi just look at the later arc of Hunter x Hunter. I dropped it 5+ years ago. It’s simply no longer justifyable not that it was that much better than say 1/2 Prince or its SAO japanese version.

Well, since I donated some old (deluxe) scripts to the community some years ago the effort to redo the classics have been underway since then. And they are constantly being re-released through various channels. I haven’t been around the channels for quite awhile but I see them coming at the ends. You just gotta look around. Too bad we are still missing some 15 TB of script material from the script club.

Despite the problem that it ends abruptly,Please Save My Earth is still pretty much worth the view.

Almael wrote:

There are worst styles than Mitsuru Adachi just look at the later arc of Hunter x Hunter. I dropped it 5+ years ago. It’s simply no longer justifyable not that it was that much better than say 1/2 Prince or its SAO japanese version.

Well, since I donated some old (deluxe) scripts to the community some years ago the effort to redo the classics have been underway since then. And they are constantly being re-released through various channels. I haven’t been around the channels for quite awhile but I see them coming at the ends. You just gotta look around. Too bad we are still missing some 15 TB of script material from the script club.

I wouldn’t call the new Hunter x Hunter style bad. I suppose it’s inferior, but at least the character design is somewhat faithful to the previous one.

Also, I didn’t think text took that much space, unless it’s all Xeroxed in TIFFs…

Pretear is another series that I think doesn’t get as much attention as it ought to.One of the best

Magic Girl series of all time.Horie Yui makes a great villianness. 😎 :D

Boogiepop Phantom doesn’t quite get as much love as it should be getting.
      My #8 all time favorite anime.It was on the old Anime Unleashed back in the day when G4 was still

Techtv and had decent programming.My favorite character for some reason is Nagi.

It’s one of those shows that you really have to pay attention to.

Oh,Man!I was starting my re-watch of Angel Tales yesterday and have to say for something that is now

12 years old it still has some of the best animation I have ever seen.It also so happens to be currently

OOP.Doesn’t look like Funi or anyone else will get around to rescuing it though since it doesn’t seem to have been overly popular which is too bad.It’s worth getting just for the Venomous Tales extras alone.

Almael
      Could as well repost from AN but it’s too bothersome. 😆

Well, so I’m going to promote a rare one Caravan Kidd. Yes, there is an anime movie. It’s just very rare and very unknown nowaday.

Is Moonphase overlooked?

I don’t know if it is or not,all I know is that I’m enjoying this fun,sometimes insane,beautiful,horror/romantic comedy.I be Hazuki’s slave any day. 😆

mitsuki lover wrote:

Is Moonphase overlooked?

I don’t know if it is or not,all I know is that I’m enjoying this fun,sometimes insane,beautiful,horror/romantic comedy.I be Hazuki’s slave any day. 😆

As a cutesy vampire anime, it is somewhat overlooked. It has its charm, I’ll admit. On the lower end of the spectrum as far as vampire-themed anime go.

Yeah, I know that Hazuki isn’t in the same league of being a serious vampire as say Miyu in Vampire Princess Miyu.On the other hand if they had made the show about Elfriede instead..

mitsuki lover wrote:

Yeah, I know that Hazuki isn’t in the same league of being a serious vampire as say Miyu in Vampire Princess Miyu.On the other hand if they had made the show about Elfriede instead..

Hmm… considering how she’s landing in with the grandfather, it’d be interesting.

Speaking of VAMPIRE PRINCESS MIYUthat’s one really great horror anime,I mean the original ovas.

mitsuki lover wrote:

Speaking of VAMPIRE PRINCESS MIYUthat’s one really great horror anime,I mean the original ovas.

I’ve heard of them. Are they any good?

Oh yes,they are indeed.There isn’t much blood or anything like that but it can get rather creepy. 😎

Miyu isn’t even the main character though in the OVAs instead it’s a character named Himeno who is a

con-woman/exorcist and we see events mainly through her eyes.

Since I picked up Rozen Maiden for my birthday last week,and even before when I was reading reviews of it,I noticed that it hasn’t gotten as much love as it should have.

Another series would be Kaleido Star.A non-magical magical girl series.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

Kaleido Star

Good call, ML. even if it’s more like a shonen sports anime 😉

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlamR9a5BYM[/BBvideo]

As I said I plan on getting season 1 next month and also thinking of season 2 and the OVAs in May.

I think the two shows that come closest to Kaleido Star are Full Moon and Fancy Lala(which is yet another one of the shows that didn’t get the love it deserved).I’m just happy it got a rescue by Funi. :D

Ah!Yes,and tonight is episode 3 ‘The Assassination Play’ for me. 😎

Though I have to admit watching the clip without sound the theme from Madlax(another great Girls With

Guns series)kept going through my head. 😆

Then again Kirika and Margaret Burton are played by the same seiyuu,who also played Sango in Inuyasha

btw.

I was thinking of what a definitive list of mecha anime would be like and then when I got to Geneshaft just realized how underappreciated that gem was.It was one of the reasons I enjoyed Techtv’s Anime Unleashed so much.Amanda Winn Lee as Mika in the dub to boot! 😎
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Neither overlooked nor unpopular, but still worth a watch- Studio Trigger’s short future animator’s project “Little Witch Academia” up officially on the ‘Tube:

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBlqxEIJ_Cg[/BBvideo]

Failing that, it is on Crunchyroll, too.

😎

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Ok, so it’s not technically a series, but bear with me!

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/9462/ny6kax9y.jpg" />

Perhaps the most overlooked of all the dubbed Ghibli movies, Whisper of the Heart is an incredibly well written and emotional film! As a massive fan of Ghibli/Miyazaki’s epic sci-fi/fantasy movies, I approached this movie with a little trepidation the first time I watched it, but I was absolutely blown away by the depth of the characters! The main characters, Shuzuku and Seiji, both dream of becoming artists, Shuzuku an author and Seiji a violin maker, and they eventually develop an amazing relationship that goes beyond mere friendship or romantic attraction. Their struggles to find their path in life, and their close bond really resonated with me, and I was totally absorbed into their story. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who appreciates excellent and accurate portrayals of the traumas and triumphs of young romance and dreams. The movie was directed by Yoshifumi Kondo, who was apparently being groomed to eventually replace Miyazaki as Studio Ghibli’s creative center before he tragically died shortly after the completion of this movie. I can only imagine how things might have developed differently had this young genius had the chance to develop, but I think we have truly missed out. Anyway, we still have his one and only movie, and what a movie it is! Do yourselves a favor and the next time you feel in the mood for a Ghibli marathon (as I often do!) try out Whisper of the Heart! You won’t be disappointed!

And once you have seen it don’t forget to pick up and watch it’s ‘sequel’ of sorts:

The Cat Returns.

mitsuki lover wrote:

And once you have seen it don’t forget to pick up and watch it’s ‘sequel’ of sorts:

The Cat Returns.

Both movies are pretty good, I’ll admit.

Anything by Ghibli you might say.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Anything by Ghibli you might say.

Eh, I wouldn’t say “anything by Ghibli.” I mean pretty much anything that Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata have made with Ghibli (which is the vast majority of Ghibli’s library) is widely considered to be classic/must see material. Now, if you were to say “anything by Ghibli’s lesser known directors” I would agree entirely!

Speaking of gems,I start watching Rozen Maiden for the first time tommorrow.It should be fun.

I mean what’s 😎 than a show combining living Dolls and Highlander.

Yeah there’s an idea for a anime demotivational poster there somewhere with Shinku and the

Highlander slogan:”In the end there can only be One!” 😆 😆 😆

After the first six episodes I have to say that Rozen Maiden is indeed one of those shows that is a MUST watch.
      Moonphase.Just finished and it’s a fun mix of comedy,horror and romance.Episode 26 is a special like

Dual episode 14,so in reality there are just 25 instead of 26 canonical episodes.

mitsuki lover wrote:

Moonphase.Just finished and it’s a fun mix of comedy,horror and romance.Episode 26 is a special like

Dual episode 14,so in reality there are just 25 instead of 26 canonical episodes.

Oh, I CONCUR with that sentiment…

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNWr_Jlx6p0[/BBvideo]

I think in all this discussion we should also thank companies like Discotek and Rigthstuf/Noizomi for

bringing back titles that haven’t been seen in a long while and thus rescuing Gems that might have sat

OOP forever.

mitsuki lover wrote:

I think in all this discussion we should also thank companies like Discotek and Rigthstuf/Noizomi for

bringing back titles that haven’t been seen in a long while and thus rescuing Gems that might have sat

OOP forever.

You just reminded me- Lost Universe. Nice little sci-fi series that ran back in ’98 and is based off of Kanzaka Hajime’s series of light novels. Tis but a sibling series to The Slayers.

heromech40
      if you like harems which tenchi fans definitely should, then you’ll love IS now i will admit i don’t know how popular it is but i consider it overlooked i think it has a potential but anyways it is very hilarious so i recommend it for people who are looking for something new
      shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      I watched the first three episodes of Infinite Stratos and so far its a really great show ^^
      "For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      I might just look it up to see who’s in the Japanese cast.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Since it came up in mini-chat tonight: 😉

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udmx3ioHWDI[/BBvideo]

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      ^I’ve only just seen the first two eps tonight, but I can already guarantee that this recommendation is %100 on the level. It was described to me as “Philosophy: The Anime.” So far I completely agree :D
      I think it’s easy to overlook a lot of magic girl shows because of the idea that:they’re just for girls.
      Wedding Peach much more popular in Japan than here.The problems with it can be seen as why so many anime titles get overlooked:

1.The preception of it just being a Sailor Moon clone for younger girls(which it may indeed be,but

doesn’t make it bad).

2.Bad reviews(thank you so much Animerica and Tris Ledoux et.al.,btw if you want to see a good example

of how not to review an anime try to find Animerica’s ‘review’ of Wedding Peach.

3.Poor dubbing,though this would probably true of most Magic Girl shows in general.If you really want to

watch Magic Girl shows you really need to go with the sub or raw Japanese. bth_kiyonespritegif.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Akawoa wrote:

Whoa.

I’ve been watching Ballad of a Shinigami:Momo,The Girl God of Death and don’t know if it qualifies or not as I don’t know how popular it is.But I think it’s a real gem.I especially love the fact that it’s more about the people that

Momo and Daniel interact with than it is about Momo and Daniel.

I would also bet that a lot of gems that get overlooked tend to be non-Shonen type of shows.

Picked up Pumpkin Scissors today at B & N.The back states that it’s a gem that FMA fans should pick up and watch.Wonder why it seems not to get the notice that FMA has.Any way looking forward to watching it.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

Wonder why it seems not to get the notice that FMA has.

I’m guessing the title has something to do with it.

Yeah,I guess anything with Pumpkin in the title might not be taken too seriously.
      Gaff
      Participant
      Not at all influenced by my having just bought the new box set, I feel obliged to mention Space Adventure Cobra. Or, “Lupin in space”, if you like the elevator pitch.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWnCWjVzNsE[/BBvideo]

Hugely popular in continental Europe, but it seems to be largely ignored in the English-speaking world. Nozomi also have the entire original series uploaded to their youtube channel, although only a handful of episodes appear to be unlocked outside the US.

I was re-watching episode 26 of Madlax on Monday and was thinking how of the three series in the

Girls With Guns Trilogy it’s the one that gets overlooked so much,and IMO it’s probably the best of the three.

*Bump*

Re-watched episode 7 of Stellvia on Monday and that got me to thinking of how much a gem it is.

*End o’ year Bump*

Yes,get Kaleido Star like yesterday if possible.The ending to Season 1 is just astounding.

The Grand Manuever as performed by Layla and Sora is truelly spine tingling soawesome1 .

It’s worth the watch just seeing how the relationship between these two grows from one of

total antagonism on the part of Layla to warm lifelong friendship.

I think I mentioned this before but it bares repeating:the director is the same as Sailor Moon

and Princess Tutu so it’s got the pedigree.

Full Moon should definitely be considered a gem.Too bad ViZ canceled it before it got past

the first 3 or 4 volumes.

Another more recent one is Girls Und Panzer, it’s more than simply Lolis riding around in tanks.

It has great characters and an interesting storyline for only being 12 episodes long.Plus one of the interesting things about it is that the ED shows the chibi versions of the different main tank crews.

It’s worth the watch just to see Darjeeling calmly give orders whilst sipping her tea. soawesome1

Spring Bump:

Vividred Operation is another gem I think should get a shut out. After watching it I have to say it is definitely one of the best Magic Girl shows to come out this decade.Certainly up there with

Puella Magi Madoka Magica though without much of the latter’s angst.It’s also by Aniplex.

Might be a little slower for people to get into, but it picks up and like Madoka is only 12 episodes long.

The real pay off comes toward the end so patience is needed.

*Bump Again*

Yes definitely Kaleido Star this is a title that needs more love and popularity. Go watch and

be amazed by the awesomeness that is Layla and also Sora! soawesome1 iloveit1

After seven weeks I think Humanity Has Declined should be added here. It’s a bit weird but

fun.Plus if you do get it be sure to also watch Survival Of The Fittest on disc 2 of the Sentai

version.

Utakata a darker older Magical Girl series from around 2004-5 rated MA for Mature Audience.

Keep forgetting to list it, but Ichika and Manatsu need to be loved.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Kyousougiga

a good anime, not that large as popular titles but still good, it’s like alice in wonderland, or Disney anime

Umi Monogatari. A magical girl series about two girls from the sea who come to land

to return a ring.

Patlabor should get more attention, I only say that because I picked up four volumes of the manga that VIZ

came out with comic book style in 1997/8. I think in the area of mecha it doesn’t get as much attention as some of the others

do.

Viewing 108 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.