Photon?

• This topic is empty.
    Anyone know where i can stream Photon?

Peace.

Viewing 54 reply threads
  • Replies
      stewonder44
      ( also… is it any good? how does it relate to the tenchi-verse? )
      jgzinv
      Well as I’ve said elseware, Photon is the ISM as dual! is to Tenchi OVA/GXP.

So yes it does relate in a bunch of ways.

As to streaming it…

Dub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDqEiHRMSOU

Subs (the better of the two)

http://www.goodanime.net/category/photon-the-idiot-adventures

Give that a shot.

From what I read the title hero is so stupid he makes Excel Excel look like a genius. 😆
      For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Eh. Photon isn’t really all that dumb, he’s just a really simple guy. And pretty quiet. And naive. And innocent… for now.
      If I remember right Photon’s somewhat girlfriend,who is also as brain challenged as him,was played by

Hisakawa Aya better known for playing Sailor Mercury on Sailor Moon.If I’m right then not only did she

play one of the most brilliant female characters in anime but also one of the stupidest ones too.

Have to admire that kind of range! 😆

Thou I believe Photon is 15, like the rest of Kajishima’s main characters, in a sense he is more like someone even younger than that. He is more like an uncorrupted child, who only thinks of moving forward and the safety of those around him. That does not necessarily make him an idiot, it just makes him unbelievably gullible.

Thou it is amusing that he writes baka [idiot] on everyone’s foreheads and ahou can be interpreted as “stupid”. Meaning his ahou power [stupid strength] is what makes him strong. 😆 Or, to put it nicely, the ability to overcome any obstacle through sheer willpower, without regard for logic & reason. A trait he shares in common with another, more famous idiot. Monkey D. Luffy.

They made him younger in the American version because of the entire nudity issue.

I guess this was before SURVIVOR and people walking around in the buff hit American Reality Tv.

I don’t recall it ever stated how old Photon is, I’m just saying that I assume he is 15 because that is a common age shared by other Kajishima main characters.

Tenchi Masaki 15 in OVA1, 17 by GXP

Kazuki Yotsuga 16

Photon Earth ???

Seina Yamada 15

Kenshi Masaki 15

Japanese ages not given, US ages listed as “19”. lol

Gen Hiraga

Taiyo (last name unknown)

Shougo Yoshisuzu

I read it in a review of Photon that his age was made younger in the American Version because of worries about the fact that Photon goes around naked a lot.I forget which one it was where I read this,either

The Anime Review or Akemi’s Anime World.

jgzinv
      the female characters are more naked than photon.

I can only recall 2x that he even does and both are in the bath.

Watch it then denounce it… really not good to make claims before doing such.

Well I think they were trying to explain why the American licensee made Photon younger than he was in the actual Japanese.The whole idea was that if he was younger it would be so off putting when they showed him nude.I didn’t read anything about the women being nude or else forgot about that part.I think Photon’s nudity was the bigger deal for some reason.
      Kiyami
      Participant
      none
      Did somebody say Photon?

Look what I found at Otakon:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i410/kitteascone/cd7fcfc2.jpg" />

Time to dig out my VCR badassplz

Ah?Why does it say The Idiot Menace? I always saw the subtitle as being:The Idiot Adventures.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      The DVD collection’s certainly was.

But a look back on Amazon reveals each VHS volume had its own subtitle:

The Emperor Strikes Back

Enemy Pawn

Ok.
      I got lucky last summer and found a used copy of Photon at my local video store for only $14.49 I have watched it about half a dozen times sense then. Something about it, just amuses me.

Also I suggest Earth adapt the courtship ritual seen in Photon, merely by marking the same thing on you and another person that shall automagically make you married! Much cheaper then a wedding. 😆 :P

Soundmonkey44 wrote:

I got lucky last summer and found a used copy of Photon at my local video store for only $14.49 I have watched it about half a dozen times sense then. Something about it, just amuses me.

Also I suggest Earth adapt the courtship ritual seen in Photon, merely by marking the same thing on you and another person that shall automagically make you married! Much cheaper then a wedding. 😆 :P

Is that like the shadow tag game in the first Uresei Yatsura movie My One And Only?

mitsuki lover wrote:

If I remember right Photon’s somewhat girlfriend,who is also as brain challenged as him,was played by

Hisakawa Aya better known for playing Sailor Mercury on Sailor Moon.If I’m right then not only did she

play one of the most brilliant female characters in anime but also one of the stupidest ones too.

Have to admire that kind of range! 😆

Want to get even more technical? Aun (the girl you were referring to)- her English VA also voiced Filia Ul Copt in ‘Slayers Try’, and the Galactic Emperor’s English VA is none other than Crispin Freeman himself, who went on to voice Kamikura- one of the friends of the student punched out in the first episode of the first OAV. Damn, I’m getting technical…

Ah!Filia,one of my favorite supporting female characters.But I digress.

So Crispin Freeman is in the Photon dub?One of the best male VAs out there.Even though I’m more into

subs these days I would have to say that two of the best American VAs ever would have to be Crispin

Freeman and Wendee Lee.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Ah!Filia,one of my favorite supporting female characters.But I digress.

So Crispin Freeman is in the Photon dub?One of the best male VAs out there.Even though I’m more into

subs these days I would have to say that two of the best American VAs ever would have to be Crispin

Freeman and Wendee Lee.

Indeed, indeed, Crispin Freeman is in the dub. I should have read this thread a long time ago, before I obtained my dvd copy at Otakon…

http://tenchiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&p=19514#p19514” class=”bbcode_url”>http://tenchiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&p=19514#p19514

…but I digress

Interestingly enough, ML, I found on my dvd copy the exact opposite of your particular source with regards to the dub version toning down Photon’s age (not bashing or saying you were wrong, this is just what was on my dvd I watched recently). They “up-play” (opposite of downplay? lol) his age precisely because of the nudity. As stated by shades, Photon is certainly very young; not knowing his precise age, I would have pegged him as even younger, say like Son Goku in Dragonball aged (then again, I guess I don’t know his precise age, either), but 15 is a good guess. But the point is even 15 was too young for the English version distributors, so to play it safe, in a seemingly last-ditch effort to make it less appalling to conservative-natured folks, they put a disclaimer before the video starts that says something to the effect of “all characters in this production are at least 18 (or maybe 19, can’t remember) years of age” & blah blah nudity, blah blah.

Even though, of course, the few times Photon is in the buff, the context is non-sexual, I can see why (especially in the nineties) production people would want to play it extra safe (but Photon being 18/19 yrs? That’s just incorrect, imo, and I’m guessing centralparkmedia knew that but “fibbed” anyway).

Now, for folks who haven’t seen it, there are some scandalous scenes, but they’re of the whimsical, typical anime fan-service type, nothing more “egregious” than in Tenchi. I’ll probably say more later, but it’s great, see it.

Oh, and just so I can add my own little patch to the quilt of funny “well how about that?” ‘s that ML and Makoto started: I happen to buy both Photon and School Rumble at Otakon, two (unrelated) series I love. I particularly love the intro to School Rumble, “Scramble” which is sung by Yui Horie…who also voices Aun in Photon! Small world & all that, eh?

p.s. Soundmonkey… $14.49? FFFFemo (jk, lucky!) 😉

Is a bit jealous now since Horie Yui is one of my favorite seiyuus.
      shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      Crazy thing this: just found this kind of offer on amazon last night for Photon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004W61K/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

It’s…ridiculous. And it ships from my state so I wonder who decided to try to sell for that high. Kiyofacepalm1

I enjoy the series a lot, just not THAT much. lol

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

shadowsfall0 wrote:

Crazy thing this: just found this kind of offer on amazon last night for Photon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004W61K/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

It’s…ridiculous. And it ships from my state so I wonder who decided to try to sell for that high. Kiyofacepalm1

I enjoy the series a lot, just not THAT much. lol

yeah you can find a better deal somewheres, but that’s actually not terribly far off from what u will see photon go for.

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      I see what happened. >.< The guy took dropped the offer price a LOT since I posted it. The guy M and N Media had it running for 100k. Or at least that's what it was last night up until I posted about it today. The same guy made his offer of Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure at $1599. Guess he finally dropped his price to an extent.
      "For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      WisperG
      What did he drop it too? His listing is gone now. Did someone actually buy it?! :?
      shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      It’s in the used for about $80 now. I doubt he’s going to get sales since the used copies are stupid cheap compared to even that in the offers.
      I wonder if he’ll get any bites or if he’ll decide to go lower still.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

shadowsfall0 wrote:

I see what happened. >.< The guy took dropped the offer price a LOT since I posted it. The guy M and N Media had it running for 100k. Or at least that's what it was last night up until I posted about it today. The same guy made his offer of Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure at $1599. Guess he finally dropped his price to an extent.

When I clicked on it and subsequently commented, I saw $99.99 new; usually I see it in the $80 ballpark (I got mine used for $40-$45).

100K? As in, 100,000? Dollars? American??? That’s got to be a typo doesn’t it? $1599 is also outrageously overpriced, but I have an easier time believing it wasn’t a typo lol.

100k certainly does sound a bit over the top.

mitsuki lover wrote:

100k certainly does sound a bit over the top.

Uhh, you tell yourself that.

*bump*

This looks worth it just because Aun is played by Horie Yui.And also from what I read recently Orikasa Ai

had a small part in it as she played Keyne in the original CD drama(or was that radio drama? I’m a bit

:? of which it was actually).

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I think it’s worth owning, and it is most definitely worth seeing. Like classic shonen? How about early (non-Hentai) work of Kajishima? Do you enjoy laughing while being open to experiencing something, shall we say, Tenchi-esque? Then you won’t be disappointed.
      Hey having Horie Yui in it is good enough reason for me. kiyonesmile1
      Yosho24
      Just finished up Photon for the first time. I enjoyed it very much, although it got pretty weird at some points. I found all the characters to be very well-designed and enjoyable. Photon himself is a very likeable protagonist, along with Keyne, Ahn, and Papacha. It takes a little while for the story to really pick up, but it was very good. Go check it out if you haven’t already.
      Is it true that there’s no real plot until the last couple of episodes?
      For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      No, I wouldn’t way that. It’s just that -true to Kajishima’s style- the plot-elements present in the first 2/3 of the story aren’t clearly labeled “ELEMENTS OF THE PLOT” like in a lot of anime.
      Yosho24
      Its not unlike Tenchi in the sense that the main villain of the OVA doesnt show up until the second to last episode. There’s a lot of content that was squeezed into the 6 episodes, much like Tenchi. Lots of character development, which really helps to immerse you in their world, and care for the characters. Not to mention quite a few plot twists towards the end of the series. The only downside is that the series felt a little too short, but that doesnt take away from the charm that it has. You should most definitely give it a watch because it’s definitely enjoyable and filled with a lot of hilariously goofy goodness.
      Well it should be on my need to see list just because as I said it’s got Horie Yui in it.

Durn if she isn’t one of my favorite female seiyuus. soawesome1

Yosho24
      Yeah shes great as aun. Easily the best voice actor on the show
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Yosho24 wrote:

Yeah shes great as aun. Easily the best voice actor on the show

She’s just phenomenal, period. Though her performance is excellent, and her character admittedly provided an interesting blend for the show’s dynamics, at the risk of opening a can of worms did anybody not despise Aun? Or at least find her difficult to tolerate at all times? Maybe it’s just me, but it was hard for me to salvage her as a redeemable character in the end. And though the potential is arguably there to a degree, there really don’t seem to be Keyne vs. Aun camps* as there are for, say, Ryoko and Ayeka (maybe there was in the past, I don’t know, but I guess it’s to be expected largely in part to it being far less popular than Tenchi). Thoughts?

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Aun? Well, I definitely thought she deserved to have バカ written on her head more than anyone, but I didn’t despise her. She was annoying to no end, but she was a deeper character than many out there in anime, and… sometime you just need a total stinker in the cast, you know? ;)
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

For Washuu wrote:

sometime you just need a total stinker in the cast, you know? ;)

I absolutely agree. I love to hate her, and she adds that “x” ingredient; it would be a comparatively dull experience without her.

AJ LightH
      Anyone know where I can buy the Photon series cheap? I loved the whole thing and want it in my collection.

badass1

WisperG
      ^ Well, depends on what you consider cheap. The DVD is somewhat rare.

New copies on Amazon start at $70 and only go up from there.

Used copies in good condition run about $30 or so, which is certainly cheaper by comparison.

Assuming you care what condition it’s in you won’t find it for much less than that, unless you get lucky on an eBay auction or manage to find one in a used video store.

jgzinv
      It shows up at larger cons pretty frequently from $30 to $70.

I’m sure if you throw a “want” add in the appropriate section we can keep an eye out.

There’s always the slight chance that either Nozomi or Discotek might pick it up.Like I say it’s a very

slight hope/chance like something like that would happen.

Almael
      Photon has always (seemingly) young boy body so I dunno where this comes from.
      AJ LightH

WisperG wrote:

^ Well, depends on what you consider cheap. The DVD is somewhat rare.

New copies on Amazon start at $70 and only go up from there.

Used copies in good condition run about $30 or so, which is certainly cheaper by comparison.

Assuming you care what condition it’s in you won’t find it for much less than that, unless you get lucky on an eBay auction or manage to find one in a used video store.

This sounds the best. Thanks. mmhmm1

iloveit1
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTAwWDE2MDA=/z/83sAAOSwYGFU16O~/$_35.JPG" />

A Photon Idiot Adventures Audio Drama I think

Or music CD?
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      No it says Photon Drama 2 on it
      Ok…I thought you were uncertain as to whether or not it was a drama CD.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Ok…I thought you were uncertain as to whether or not it was a drama CD.

I didn’t read it closely the first time

Viewing 54 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.