Pretty Sammy/Magical Project S

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Pretty Sammy/Magical Project S

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    I don’t really have anything in particular to ask or tell, but I do wish I could talk to someone about the Magical Girl Pretty Sammy and Magical Project S spin-offs.

Also, does anyone have a good review/synopsis on the Magical Girl’s Club tv series? The internet doesn’t have much in the way of a ‘is this worth watching’ reviews.

Does anyone here watch those OVAs/tv episodes?

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Replies
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      I have all those. Magical Project S is my second-favorite Tenchi-related series. :D

Sasami Magical Girls’ Club is rather “..ehh”, not something I’d break the bank to get. Thankfully you don’t have to. ;)

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I share your sediments For Washuu. Since it was never on Toonami, I don’t know a whole lot about the Pretty Sammy series (how many? oav’s/spin-offs, etc) but if I am to call myself a Tenchi fan, they’re worth looking into (even though one of them is unabashedly kind of a Sailor Moon rip-off). You’re also right in that while most series (Muyo, Universe, Tokyo) are all over youtube, there’s not as much for Pretty Sammy series. Hope I’m not spoiling anything here but–I think that’s what our noble leaders are working on uploading to yt as we speak, so everyone will soon get a chance to delve into new misadventures with familiar characters (even if their backstories change considerably).
      For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Cool. I’ve just recently finished watching MPS, and I have to say that it ranks up there by a lot. I love how it makes the viewer go “YESS!” whenever Gingi or Washuu pops up with some crazy solution.

And somehow I don’t think Washuu has had many finer moments than her entrance to the series. [Can you say “Washuu vs. the USA, and she owns them in the face”?] 😆

:washu:

Really, now. Where the heck did Gingi get that NASA spacecraft license, anyways???

teh187
      Everyone will have their own opinion.

I have watched season 1 and 2 of Sasami:MGC and it was definately worth watching, its what got me in to anime again and made me rediscover Tenchi Muyo after years, i think, or it was the other way around -.-.

But it is worth buying/streaming online.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I’m watching the Pretty Sammy oav’s currently in my free time (via our forum’s totally awesome yt channel!) & I am absolutely loving it so far. Granted, I’m not one of those guys that enjoys seeing Sasami-aged girls scantily-clad in a skimpy Sailor Moon outfit, & the plot is arguably not the strongest element of this series (I’m not saying it’s not solid or good, I haven’t watched it all yet, I’m just saying as a spin-off most of us are probably used to the characters from one of the cannon series) but then again I see the plot similarly to Tokyo–it’s supposed to be fun & whimsical, & as ForWashuu mentioned, characters like Washu really help make that happen.

Question. Is Magical Project S as good as the Pretty Sammy OVA ? By that I mean the whole Tenchi cast is more or less present in every episode ..does the same hold true for Magical Project ?
      Anonymous

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:

Question. Is Magical Project S as good as the Pretty Sammy OVA ? By that I mean the whole Tenchi cast is more or less present in every episode ..does the same hold true for Magical Project ?

No

Magical Project S solely follows Sasami, Misao and the the predominant Pretty Sammy only cast. Mihoshi and Washu make some appearances, but Aeka and Ryoko are pretty much non-existence, if you’re looking for something like the OVA, I wouldn’t look here, but if you are into Magical Girl, and want a more Tenchi flavored version of it, this would be the way to go.

Thanks for the head’s up. I may watch episode 23 on online then. It’s a real shame it didn’t keep the same formula as the OVA.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:

It’s a real shame it didn’t keep the same formula as the OVA.

See, that’s why I like it. It’s not the same old, tired formula.

Nobuyuki wrote:

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:

It’s a real shame it didn’t keep the same formula as the OVA.

See, that’s why I like it. It’s not the same old, tired formula.

I guess..but not having the same characters is a big killer for me. It is similar to every other magical girl type show from what I’ve been told though. As a Tenchi fan I want the Tenchi characters..ALL of them in it. :D For Sammy fans it does focus on her as the main character regardless of who else they used so I don’t see a conflict there.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:

As a Tenchi fan I want the Tenchi characters..ALL of them in it. :D

They’re in there. ;)

For Washuu
      Participant
      none

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:

I guess..but not having the same characters is a big killer for me. It is similar to every other magical girl type show from what I’ve been told though. As a Tenchi fan I want the Tenchi characters..ALL of them in it. :D For Sammy fans it does focus on her as the main character regardless of who else they used so I don’t see a conflict there.

Watch ep. 7. It is AWESOME!

Heck, even just watch the first scene. Washuu totally owns in that part! :D :D :D

Nobuyuki wrote:

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:

As a Tenchi fan I want the Tenchi characters..ALL of them in it. :D

They’re in there. ;)

..but Ryoko doesn’t appear til episode 23 right ? That’s pretty much the whole series isn’t it ?

For Washuu wrote:

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:

Watch ep. 7. It is AWESOME!

Heck, even just watch the first scene. Washuu totally owns in that part! :D :D :D

I’ll check it out . I have a bud I watch with and Washu is his favorite character ! :D

Edit : Went to youtube and found pretty much every episode but #7 ? Odd.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:

..but Ryoko doesn’t appear til episode 23 right ? That’s pretty much the whole series isn’t it ?

Aaand whose show is it, again?

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7993/magicalprojectsvol154.jpg" />

:Cheeks:

Nobuyuki wrote:

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:

Aaand whose show is it, again?

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7993/magicalprojectsvol154.jpg" />

:Cheeks:

I’ll give you that, but cameos each episode would keep ME interested. ;)

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:

Went to youtube and found pretty much every episode but #7 ? Odd.

Well, a fair shot’s all that can be asked. Although I find it difficult to pass on something like this. ;)

Magic Girl shows are one of my favorite type of anime.

Aside from the connection to Tenchi is there anything else that makes Pretty Sammy/Magic Project S worth looking

into?

Little Washu wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

Well, a fair shot’s all that can be asked.

Nobuyuki does bring up some good points. You’ll never know until you give it a watch. :)

Agreed. I was just going to start with episodes I knew I had an interest in..might help me keep focused..lol It doesn’t seem like all the episodes are on Youtube though. I found like 1-5, 15-16, and then 24-25.. kind of odd..might just need to keep digging.

I’m going to guess it’s not on Netflix, Crackle or some other such thing is it ?

It’s a shame they didn’t bother to dub it either.. :/

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:

I’m going to guess it’s not on Netflix, Crackle or some other such thing is it ?

It’s a shame they didn’t bother to dub it either.. :/

Nope, the license reverted back to Japan, either when or probably before Geneon USA shut down.

As for dubbing, the (lack of) sales performance for the OVA series doomed any chance it had, as well as prompting the title change.

mitsuki lover wrote:

Aside from the connection to Tenchi is there anything else that makes Pretty Sammy/Magic Project S worth looking into?

It’s funny?

Ok.Is it better to get the OVA or the series?

mitsuki lover wrote:

Ok.Is it better to get the OVA or the series?

My vote would be the OVA..but it just fits what I like better. If you liked the Universe episode with Sammy you’ll probably like the OVA I think. I guess whether you prefer dubbed or subbed is also a factor.

I started dubbed on tv but now perfer subbed on dvd.

mitsuki lover wrote:

I started dubbed on tv but now perfer subbed on dvd.

I prefer dubbed ..it just let’s me pay more attention to the characters and what’s going on instead of reading. Though there are exceptions.. cough ( TM!OVA3 ) cough.

I perfer the Japanese voices now.I tried listening to the Haibane-Renmei dub when I first switched to subs and felt

the voices sounded off.Probably because I had become used to the sound of the Japanese seiyuus by then.

tenchi82fan
      I don’t know about you guys, but I wish Yugi was in one of these series. Say what you want about Tenchi In Tokyo, one thing I really liked about it was Sasami and Yugi friendship, and wish we saw Yugi in other non canon Tenchi projects, especially the ones that feature Sasami.
      Anonymous

tenchi82fan wrote:

I don’t know about you guys, but I wish Yugi was in one of these series. Say what you want about Tenchi In Tokyo, one thing I really liked about it was Sasami and Yugi friendship, and wish we saw Yugi in other non canon Tenchi projects, especially the ones that feature Sasami.

That is certainly an interesting angle! I would have never thought to put Yugi in a magical girl series with Sasami but that would make sense considering their history. Nice Idea!

tenchi82fan

Dagon123 wrote:

tenchi82fan wrote:

That is certainly an interesting angle! I would have never thought to put Yugi in a magical girl series with Sasami but that would make sense considering their history. Nice Idea!

Yeah if in any of these magical girls parody series, Sasami is suppose to be Sailor Moon, than she could be one of the four inner Sailor Senseis. Though if I really want to compare their relationship could be something similar to Chibiusa and Hortaru.

Except that Pretty Sasami didn’t go over to the Dark Side like Chibiusa did in the Black Lady arc.

Just mention it because I read it last Sunday. tuxedodouche

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      I invoke crossover fanfiction.
      😆

I do love a good crossover.

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Well, there was that doujin with “Sexy MISAki” on it. Weird. And scary. But, still, sexy. 🙄
      Heh!

Maybe some day someone will do a Tenchi/Sakura Wars crossover featuring Sasami and Iris. kiyonesmile1

If it hasn’t been done already. Right now I’ve been thinking up a Eva/Dual crossover.

Of course I mean PrettySasami and Iris. I wonder which one is more powerful as I don’t know much about

Pretty Sasami but Iris when she looses it can be pretty devastating!

I’m just mentioning it since Sasami and Iris are around the same age give or take the 700 years that Sasami was in

stasis.

Though to be honest I’d love to see a Pretty Sasami/Sakura Wars crossover just to imagine the fun of

Yokoyama Chisa talking to herself! tenchiforumsign 😆

As in Sasami talking to Sakura.

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      That… made a very… interesting sort of verbal… something… pop into my mind. o_^
      😆
      I’m still trying to figure out how to get the Madoka/Tenchi crossover I want to do with Sasami becoming a witch at the end just right in my head. All I know is I want it to begin with Sasami already being a witch.

I also need a good German name for her witch form.

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.