Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Pros and Cons of the Tenchi-Verses

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    State the Pros and Cons of a Tenchi Series

Note please be objective and not attack others opinions

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Replies
      I think the biggest pro is that all of the main protagonists are very likable characters.

As far as cons go…well…I think the entire harem thing can get too overdone at times and Tenchi

does seem to be overly wishy washy over the whole thing..the boy needs to really make a decision

between Aeka and Ryoko and stop acting like a bowl of jello.

ChaudSept

mitsuki lover wrote:

As far as cons go…well…I think the entire harem thing can get too overdone at times and Tenchi

does seem to be overly wishy washy over the whole thing..the boy needs to really make a decision

between Aeka and Ryoko and stop acting like a bowl of jello.

It’s true that anyone who hate (like really hate) harem stuff shouldn’t like Tenchi that much.. Even though i didn’t have a big harem-feel watching OVA1 or TU.

For GXP or WoG, well the feeling was here..

About Tenchi in Tokyo :

Pros: – It changes the atmosphere, after TU and OVA123 who were *kinda* similar, it’s refreshing to see a really different storyline.

– The tenchi x ryoko relationship is well developed in this arc, with the date and all, there is somehow a feel a achievement after all this year wishing to see them closer together…

It’s true that in Negishi’s universe, the Ryoko + Tenchi love is implicite, but in Tokyo i feel that it is more real.

Cons : – I think i started enjoying the show after something like episode 14… The show takes ages to start !

– Sometimes it was too goofy for me. I mean ok it’s funny, but seeing Aeka and Ryoko overdeformed 24/7 pissed me off.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Pros: Everything for everyone

Cons: Story changes every series

Cardboard Marty
      Participant
      none

ChaudSept wrote:

It’s true that anyone who hate (like really hate) harem stuff shouldn’t like Tenchi that much.. Even though i didn’t have a big harem-feel watching OVA1 or TU.

I think that’s the thing, with OVA1 and TU, it’s a boring dude surrounded by a bunch of females, but I never got the impression that it was about “girl collecting” and eventually “procreate and marry them all”. By OVA3 there are just so many women in the house (and thus characters) that the time is fragmented between them and thus nobody really gets to develop as much as they should.

PROS:

• Strong female personalities (which according to Kajishima don’t exist in real life, apparently!

• …the entire series has been misappropriated by Kajishima (and others) as some sort’ve shitty self-insert fanfic. Somewhere along the lines, the franchise went from being a really neat fusion of action, romance, and drama to what Julia once called “girl collecting”. Look at Ai for instance. We have a ton of new cast members who literally serve no other purpose than to be one dimensional (aka having one specific character trait), and be objects to latch onto Tenchi or whatever. Kajishima’s ultimate endgame for Tenchi is for him to break character, the girls to break character, everybody screws everybody, because I’m sure that’s what pitches Kajishima’s tent. Tenchi went from being a fairly unremarkable nobody who gained super powers thanks to his bloodline, to a literal god who is actually a SUPER god above all other gods because why not?

“But Marty, Kajishima had nothing to do with Ai!”

And I’m aware! The biggest point I’m trying to make is that the series has been shoved into this “harem” genre when it used to be so much more. I didn’t come to the series because “MAN I WANNA BE LIKE TENCHI AND HAVE 12 GIRLFRIENDS”, I was attracted because of the strong, adventurous personalities and fantastic story telling, and hell, even THE ROMANCE. When your newest series opens up with a “panty gag”, you’ve got a problem.

• With that being said, this is a personal point, I really do want them to try to add some closure to Tenchi’s romantic life. Even if it ends in (!!!) a break-up or something drastic, or plain doesn’t work out, why wouldn’t this dude give it a try? On one hand, I understand that the implication is “well if Tenchi chooses, there wouldn’t be a story!”, but I disagree. If anything it opens up a whole new avenue of storytelling that could lead to some really INTERESTING stories for everyone involved!
  • There hasn’t been an animated version of the manga. Seriously, OKUDA WHERE YOU AT BRO
  • I have a bunch more for pros AND cons, but I’m gonna be making a video on them pretty soon. woo?

And speaking of the manga Marty Kirra has actually hit the nail on the head:

pro: the Okuda manga is one of the best things about Tenchi Moyu!, it has everything that

we associate with the name: humor, action, Aeka vs. Ryoko, drama, love, interesting new characters,

story arcs that keep us on the edge of our seats and plenty of Sasami! soawesome1

con: As he also said it ain’t been made into an anime as yet…

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Pros: Liked everything from the first OVA’s and Universe

Cons: Judge everything after to OVA’s and Universe

That’s pretty true.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Pros: Has a popular fan base

Set the standard sort of for harem animes

Cons: Can’t get a reboot like some other animes from the 90’s (sailor moon)

susano
    Ryo-Ohki OVA 3

PRO

We learn the truth of the 3 Chousin Goddesses.

Tenchi is the powerful kami whom the Chousin were searching for.

Washu, Tsunami, and Tokimi are the three Chousin goddesses.

We learn about who are Mihoshi’s parents and her family.

CON

Mihoshi turn out to be more like her Universe counterpart.

The name of Mihoshi’s father was not mention by Minami.

Mihoshi’s father was the Galaxy Army General talking to Minami.

His name is Nakita.

Noike wasn’t like Sayuka from Tenchi in Tokyo.

More like the prequel for Tenchi Muyo: GXP

Kiyofacepalm1 woooo1

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Pro: got OVA 3 after 2

Con: Not enough things explained and the one that everyone still hates every time they’re reminded of it

pro: Tenchi Forever was a good farewell to Universe.

con: the dub drove me crazy.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Pros: Movies ended the Universe series

Cons: We didn’t get one to end the OVA’s

Shounenbat
    Participant
    Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki OAV 1 & 2

Pros

• Excellent, strong characters! It honestly didn’t feel like a sexist, wish-fulfillment anime or an animation dating sim. The characters were strong, quite unlike the normal way females are according to the Japanese perspective.

The lore is absolutely fascinating. There is so much more to this than we’ve seen, and I love to speculate on it.

The blend between character development, slice of life, action, and general world-building is pretty well balanced. I love the pacing of the first two OAVs!

• Cons

• A few points left me feeling a bit confused, and I feel like Kajishima doesn’t care enough about the individual characters enough to elaborate on those bits, but that’s more of an OAV 3 gripe.

Sometimes the girls can be a little
    too
    focused on Tenchi. I’m pretty sure more than one episode fails the Bechdel test.

The Aeka/Sasami relationship could’ve been written better. I remember having to explain, multiple times, to the friend I was trying to convert in to a Tenchi-holic that the two of them were sisters. After watching too much Adventure Time and Gravity Falls (heck, even My Little Pony (don’t judge me, bro)) and seeing very well-written sibling relationships, I think they could’ve been handled differently, even in spite of the age gap between them. Sasami, in particular, comes across feeling a lot like a lost puppy whom the household adopted.

• Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki OAV 3

Pros

• …???

I thought of one! The exposition dump regarding the Chousen’s motive was nice. You didn’t need it if you’d read the novels, but it was still nice to see.

Tsunami looked surprising good in the new art style.

Speaking of Tsunami, it was interesting seeing that her relationship with Sasami isn’t totally one-sided. If her will is strong enough, Sasami can force Tsunami into action. Unfortunately, she seem to suffer from a sort of schizophrenic personality; which personality reacts strongest to the event at hand seems to become the dominate one.

• Cons

• With the exception of Tsunami, the characters all look like crap. Who thought this was a good idea?

There were too many characters and too much story stuffed into too few episodes. This would have been better to pan out over two OAVs instead of one. The pacing in this was just terrible!

On that note, I didn’t care for the story much anyway. I was left thinking, “So, Tenchi is the supreme being in the Universe and will one day bang everything from cute furry critters to space pirates to a pair of princesses and their mother (literally, from what I gathered regarding the solution to the Counter-Actor incident) to goddesses. Why would I watch that?” It makes Tenchi so strong he’s untouchable, and it turns every other female character in the show into a glorified blow-up doll. Terrible direction to take the story in, so I would appreciate someone else being brought on to revise/retcon/reign Kajishima in. At this rate, Tenchi will put Captain Kirk to shame and rise to become the Ultimate Womanizer. rageblow1 wth2 wtfisthis1

I don’t often watch dubs, but Petrea Burchard really is the better Ryoko.

I don’t care much for Noike. Perhaps it’s because we didn’t have time to grow to like her and get used to her, as everything was being thrown at us in quick succession, but it made the household look like it was in severe disarray before she showed up, which certainly wasn’t the case.

Noboyuki’s remarriage. Just didn’t like it.

I’d better stop now. This list could go on and on…

• Tenchi Universe

Pros

• I loved how it felt so familiar yet different. It was like an alternate universe, and it was a nice ride.

The characters that were added into this continuity were excellent. I love Kiyone, Achika, and all the rest. Perhaps this is why I was so disappointed in Noike; the Universe characters just fit better with the cast. Excellent villains, too.

I thought that, like the first two OAVs, this was very well paced. It was slice-of-life and a quest-like story all rolled into one, and it never felt too forced.

The characters are still just as great, and Kiyone really doesn’t feel new. It doesn’t take long before I felt like she’s always been there, and then I missed her a little when I re-watched the OAVs. The new plot just gave us a chance to see the characters in new situations.

• Cons

• Mihoshi sure got the short end of the stick when it comes to intelligence. This isn’t a burnt-out detective, it’s that annoying person who seems to breeze through life without problems while you, or in this case, Kiyone, have to work for every scrap of prosperity you can get! She was still great, though.

I only cared about getting to Kagato because of Aeka and Sasami; it had nothing to do with an interest in Jurai, which is too bad. I really wanted some politics explored, but I never really got what I was looking for. Game of Thrones this was not.

• Tenchi in Tokyo

Pros

• The characters’ personalities were tweaked to be made more extreme, but they still managed to be endearing. It wasn’t too annoying and could be downright funny.

The idea of Tenchi being away from the group is a good idea. It opens up opportunities to give the girls something to do other than pine over him, even though they tend to do just that anyway, and gives Tenchi a chance at a more normal life.

I thought the Aeka/Sasami sibling relationship was done a bit better in this continuity.

Yugi was a great villain!

• Cons

• I didn’t care much for Sakuya. She should have won my heart over to her long before the reveal, but she just came across as awkward and forced. I get that that’s the point, ultimately, but… I don’t know. Sasami made me care more for Yugi than Tenchi made me care for Sakuya.

I know there’s more, but I can’t really think of them.

• Okuda Manga

Pros

• I don’t want to recap all the pros I laid out for the first two OAVs, but, like Universe, Okuda managed to give us new characters (villains and allies) without them feeling intrusive or out-of-place. It was handled very, very well! I love it so much!!!

• Cons

• It still hasn’t been animated yet! Why hasn’t it been animated yet?!?! sadface1 WANT1

• Hasegawa Novels

I’m not going to go into these, as I haven’t read them all yet. In fact, I’m skipping around pretty badly. I finished the first one and then went straight to Hawaii Vacation, and I know now that I really shouldn’t have done that. There’s a villain in it that makes me think, “I should probably read these in order. I might understand it better.”

So far, however, it seems like a nice alternative to OAV 2.

Maybe they’re waiting to do a Tenchi/Suddenly Princess crossover? 😆

Seriously though an Okuda Tenchi series would certainly be different.

and speaking of the Okuda manga:

pro: they were are fun to read.

con: I didn’t collect enough volumes!

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Pros: All cool material and stories

Cons: Most are Raw Japanese in sketch books

War on Geminar:

Pro: Really exciting new characters and fun combination of mecha and harem comedy.

Con: not enough Doll in the first part.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Tenchi In Tokyo

Pros: A new character that threw in a interesting plot

Cons: Hated her, and the animation looked awful in some parts

• Viewing 16 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.