Punch Line (Anime)

Forums Off Topic Other Anime Punch Line (Anime)

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    This thread for the anime Punch Line, the What Anime You are Watching? thread is getting a little cluttered with a single anime discussion so here is a thread dedicated to it.

Okay from what I seen from eps 1-7 Yubafication is more spiritual than physical. Yuta took over Rabura’s body and Yubafied, I think that the body taps into their spirits power and uses it, Yuta, Mika, and the other girl bodies are more tuned to use it more frequently.

With the possibility of switching bodies admitted, I think it will happen again or there’s going to be a possession fight.

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Replies
      For those of us who haven’t seen it you might want to come up with a glossary of terms.

For example what is Yubafication and how does it work?

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

For those of us who haven’t seen it you might want to come up with a glossary of terms.

For example what is Yubafication and how does it work?

Yubafication was explained complicated a bit in ep 6, you can check on the Wiki for the synopsis of Punch Line or check on Hulu.

But basically certain people that have the ability to Yubafy gets excited or fired up gets superhuman strength for a short while. Although I recommend actually watching the anime first before reading or discussing it, it’s fanservice show but it does have a deeper plot.

Thanks. I was thinking that you might get some people reading the thread who might not have either heard of the series or seen it yet.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Okay the recent episodes are now throwing things everywhere with time travel and possibilities, some things that were brought up are now becoming important. A couple things that could become important in the future:

why hijack bus?

why hold hostages?

what is with the cat?

the flashes when he is overexcited in the first ep?

sister set up cameras and went away?

sister back in japan then went away again?

nations pact?

why meika was in yuta’s room?

Dr Tenga and inventions?

The need for fixed points?

okay the cat saying Yuta needs to keep certain events same in order to create a fixed timeline in order to work off a series of events that have the highest probability of saving everyone. The reason why the cat is irritated with Yuta is because he has tried to change the future over 6 million times and probably has tried every possible choice there is. Out of the 6 million tries, a few certain events have the best likelihood of being a good future for all. Probably why the cat said to let the guy go in order to kill the two classmates and fight Yuta and Strange juice at the same time.

ChaudSept
      First off, my fan-sub version talk about the “human preservation project”, is that the actual dialogue, or a fansub group invention ?!

This show really suprised me, you have to know that before PL, my newest anime in terms of release dates was Ai, so I’m kinda discovering things here.

People sell the show with the Panties issues, and it’s easy to think that the show is full of FanService. That’s why I wasn’t interest in it at first.

Also, knowing that the main character is surrouned by 4 woman kinda afraid me, ’cause I was forseeing an harem feeling, you know, with the girl showing off their sexy parts just to make the protagonist blush.

But it’s not that at all.

I surely not consider it as a FanService show, that’s not even ecchi or whatever. That’s a great suspense show, with freakin’ time travel !!

The little of panties and bras we see are not vulgar, and always quite soft. No sexual tension.

For half the season, Yutan is not even in his body, he’s just a ghost. Making sexual situation only visual and therefore not kinky at all. It’s just well put. The fact that he is not even “alive” implies that the girls can’t interact with him, making a harem impossible to form.

Even when he gets his body back, I was happy to see that the only new feeling appearing was the Love between Chiyoco and him ! That was lovely, or that is lovely.

The show is quite complicated. I don’t think I understood everything so far.. But the show takes time to explain itself a lot ! And that’s really enjoyable. With snarky remarks, it doesn’t take itself seriously !

The story is also good. And the character are just lovely. I’m in love with Strange Juice.
      It reminds me of Tenchi. We follow this boy, some stuff happens to him, and Oh Hey, in fact that boy isn’t normal, look at what happenned before !

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

ChaudSept wrote:

First off, my fan-sub version talk about the “human preservation project”, is that the actual dialogue, or a fansub group invention ?!

No that’ actually in the anime, checked it on Hulu and the Wiki

And this show is awesome, at first I though it was going to be a basic: heres a problem, a few dramatic moments and all of it solved in the end. But this anime just takes everything and throws it around everywhere, there are a few ecchi moments but not really that forced in. For what I hope for this anime is a 24 ep run or a second season because there is such potential in the story.

okay things that I mentioned in my previous post were answered. The reason why Meika was in Yuta’s room in the first place. And it seems to be that the point where Yuta would need to changed the future would be stopping Meika from accessing checking the Nuclear Weapons systems. Of course there might be a plan B if he does stop Meika, there usually is for a organization trying to end the world. Also apparent Yuta has tried 6 million times which would mean things are not simple, because one of them would have found out before and tried to do something about it. Of course if the Nukes are launched and make the meteor head for Earth I have a feeling the “Bottle Rocket Firework” that Meika has might be a future plot device.

ChaudSept
      dawohki1 dawohki1 dawohki1 dawohki1 dawohki1 dawohki1

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/24/1434051611-cuteness.png" />

dawohki1 dawohki1 dawohki1 dawohki1 dawohki1 dawohki1

Can’t handle such cuteness arrrhglglgl

So the “human preservation project” is a direct reference to Evangelion badass1

I would also hope for a 24 episodes lenght, though idk about a second season.

Btw, the plot actually go really fast, so they would have to do some hardcore plot twists. But plot twists are quite common anyway, right ?

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

ChaudSept wrote:

Btw, the plot actually go really fast, so they would have to do some hardcore plot twists. But plot twists are quite common anyway, right ?

Yeah, I guess that what makes the show so good in the first place and keeping it interesting. Though I’m guessing all the twists until now are the build up and meant to throw us off.

ChaudSept
      Opening’s lyrics in english by Damedesuyo.

Pan-pantyshot, pun-punchline

No !

Twenty-five centimeters above the knees

Just not giving a damn about the seasons

For a girl, the length of the skirt

Is inversely proportional to her feelings

I beg your pardon?!

Please refrain from such uncouth words

There’s nothing indecent about it

Girls are allowed

To wear whatever they want

Flustered and fumbling around like you do

Why can’t you keep yourself from peeking at me? *why*

Why can’t I just say that I love you?

The heart of my hypocrisy

Is bursting with these hot, hot feelings

But yes! Yes! I want to give it to you!

Why, why, why, why, can you tell me why?

I just don’t understand why

More! *more*

I just want you to look at me more!

Why not look at my Punch Line?

Girls need that embarrassment to get by

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Well, at least the song is better than the Heaven’s Lost Property nipples song. Not as funny, but sounds better.
      ChaudSept
      Spoiler episode 11 ahead !

So So… One first thing I wonder is : “That wasn’t the end, right ?”

I hope there is more than 11 ep, seriously if the sequel is in a next season, I’m gonna crack it out.

The episode was good, a little of action can’t hurt ! It was awesome seing the “disbodied soul” fighting and all, since we didn’t see him in a while ! Looking at the first half of the season, it makes sense that he participate… I wonder if he spied on the protagonists, or the cat told him…

The strategy is deliered very quicly, that’s kinda lame. Meika just give order and roll-out !

Speaking of “roll-out”, little bonus mech’s action scene, well, why not.

Strange Juice can beat the shit out of hundreds of Uberfied people, whitout being Uberfied herself ! That’s a little surprising, but as she said “She has trained her whole life” so why not…

A chunk of theory of what happens next :

So, a few rockets are heading toward the house, and everything seems lost. Possibilities of way out :

– Chiyouko Uberfie one last time, save the day, but risks her life

– Yuta manage something

– The mech’s sacrifies itself

– Yuta’s soul go back in time and do something. I mean maybe he could go back a little before, and do stuff wth2

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      okay, first off, totally called the whole Meika’s mech and firework being important to the story. I have a feeling that Meika is going to use that back-up plan button in the next ep, and I’m seriously seeing Madoka in this. Chiyouko’s speech about her being the hero when she needs to be in the last battle, reminds me of Madoka in her last battle in the series. The one tsubouchi or whatever the guy’s name was is probably come in the last moment along with the one that is possessing Yuta’s body. Yuta let slip about time travel in the earlier episode, so that might come into play with that girl possessing yuta’s body (can’t remember the name). I really hope that the cat decides to do some action himself, though I get the feeling that this is going to turn into the Madoka ending because of similarities. Pink hair, blonde hair with a pet, blue hair, black hair, just need a red head to complete.
      jgzinv
      They already have a red head when Uta goes super saiyan uberfied.
      WisperG
      My finale prediction:

The three lab children will somehow swap back to their original bodies. Guriko knew her original body was failing but may not know that it can literally only last for one more Uberfication. They’ll all Uberfy for one final face-off, with Guriko inadvertently sealing her own fate.

Still no idea how they’ll deal with all those missiles flying at the apartment though…

…or how they’ll deal with the spirit of Qmay’s founder, who’s apparently now inhabiting the body of a military commander.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I know I said this in the Mini-Chat, and it happened in the last ep, but I just have to say it: CALLED IT! I said that Yuta/Pine would die in the end, and that is what happened. The time traveling black haired hero and the pink haired hero stop existing so that everyone can live, red haired hero fights tragic blue haired former friend trying to save her, total Madoka vibes. The one thing I didn’t really like was Rabura conveniently using her spirit exorcising powers when she couldn’t before to exorcise the one guy that just showed up. Most things were just quickly tied up like Rabura possessed as a child and the Cat’s reason for being there, he already was there and was living in the happy ending and wanted to make sure it happened after he died so that his past version could live in the happy ending.
      WisperG
      I’ll catch us up on some Punch Line news.

The week the anime ended, a PL visual novel/adventure game was announced for PS4 and Vita. Uchikoshi returns as writer.

What’s interesting here is that the original plan for PL was a visual novel, before some complications put it on the backburner. The anime, which had already been green-lit, continued moving forward and ended up coming out first.

The game will have different endings and branching paths depending on choices you make throughout the story. Given PL’s time loop story, all of the endings could technically be canon as things that happened in previous/future loops.

If I had to guess, we could likely recreate the anime’s ending as well, possibly with a less bittersweet variation if it lets you choose not to sacrifice Yuta. Maybe you can even achieve the supremely happy, peaceful future? Given Uchikoshi’s reputation, things can probably go horribly, HORRIBLY, wrong as well.

~~~

Today, a manga was announced. Not an adaptation, but a SEQUEL. There aren’t any story details out yet, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it features ghost Yuta immediately after the ending and follows his continued time-looping efforts to achieve that happy future.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Awesome news on the manga side, not an adaptation but a sequel. This might be enough start up for another season or movie, after some time.

Link for manga news

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-08-08/punch-line-tv-anime-gets-manga-this-fall/.91341” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-08-08/punch-line-tv-anime-gets-manga-this-fall/.91341

ChaudSept
      That’s great news. I think the anime was a good enough success to get an official english version. Wait and see.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

ChaudSept wrote:

I think the anime was a good enough success to get an official english version.

Correct. gendo1

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      So what time frame are we looking at for sentai series getting an English dub?
      WisperG
      Well, the last volume doesn’t drop in Japan until December. I’d say if we’re lucky and there’s not an extensive grace period, we *maybe* could see it by (late?) summer of next year, but a more realistic expectation would probably be fall or winter 2016 at the earliest.

Unless they make Sentai stagger their release by at least an entire year, then we probably wouldn’t see it until early 2017.

And that’s if all goes well and there’s no unexpected delay or other problems.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Punchline was good and it’s getting an extension in manga form, and the visual novel game if it does good, it might get adapted as another anime, like fate / stay series was sorta.
      I wonder if Right Stuf will do a Punchline Special when it comes out.
      WisperG

mitsuki lover wrote:

I wonder if Right Stuf will do a Punchline Special when it comes out.

What does that mean? Put it on discount?

I can’t see them doing anything special for PL. Not that it was particularly unpopular, but it was far from being the most popular show that aired that season. It didn’t explode in popularity like, say, Madoka or something, and there won’t be enough product to even warrant a special promotion when it comes out. All we’ll have is the DVD and Blu-ray. It’s not like a big Shonen Jump property where they would actually have tons of DVDs and manga and merchandise galore to actually make a promotional sale out of.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Well, we are getting a game and a manga, so chance to be more popular or remembered more.
      WisperG

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Well, we are getting a game and a manga, so chance to be more popular or remembered more.

Japan is getting a game and a manga. Nothing has been announced in the US/Europe yet, and I don’t see any company going after either until after the anime has been released here and they can gauge the series popularity by how well the DVDs sold.

I meant if Rightstuf might do some sort of Bundle. They do that from time to time.

And I agree that Madoka was and is still pretty up there in popularity(the Puella Magi Homura Tamura

manga is out now btw)while Punchline might not be that popular outside of Japan.Then again a show

like Puella Magi Madoka Magica comes around only once in a blue moon.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Probably not

but I think the dvd/blu ray came out already with some cds

check here:

http://www.punchline.jp/” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.punchline.jp/

a lot of stuff can be found there

WisperG
      As seen here, the first volume came out last month, volume 2 lands next week, actually. They’re coming out monthly. The sixth and final Japanese volume doesn’t drop until December.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

WisperG wrote:

The sixth and final Japanese volume doesn’t drop until December.

so we might see a bundle after all when the final volume drops.

WisperG

Ukinojo92 wrote:

WisperG wrote:

The sixth and final Japanese volume doesn’t drop until December.

so we might see a bundle after all when the final volume drops.

I was referring to the Japanese volumes. We English speakers won’t see anything until Sentai releases their box set next year, or whenever they’re allowed to.

Rightstuf won’t be bundling the Japanese volumes for sale in the US/EU.

Ah…well..I just hope whatever happens it won’t be too expensive.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Ah…well..I just hope whatever happens it won’t be too expensive.

The blu-rays from what I can tell, cost 6800 in yen, 66 dollars in US. The dvds cost 5800, or 58 dollars. I don’t know the exact price of the cds that are coming out as well, but buying merch is going to cost.

Had to put it

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLP5hseVAAA3KQU.jpg" />

WisperG
      I believe Mitsuki was referring to the price of the eventual English release.

It should be in line with Sentai’s other dubbed releases (assuming it gets a dub, which I think is likely). For a 13 episode Blu-ray set, something like $70 MSRP, but Rightstuf and Amazon will have them marked down closer to the $40-$50 range. As usual, dirt cheap compared to the Japanese Blu-rays. It’ll basically the entire show for roughly the price of ONE Japanese Blu-ray volume.

Unless they only do a Collector’s Edition,which seems to be the case right now with Yuki Yunna.
      WisperG
      Sentai isn’t releasing Yuki Yuna. Pony Canyon is, who are taking the Aniplex approach of border-line Japanese prices for single volumes of like 4 eps each with fancy, elaborate CE’s.

If Sentai did one for Punch Line, it would still be a complete box set and could probably be found for $80 to $120 depending on what’s in it.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

WisperG wrote:

Sentai isn’t releasing Yuki Yuna. Pony Canyon is, who are taking the Aniplex approach of border-line Japanese prices for single volumes of like 4 eps each with fancy, elaborate CE’s.

If Sentai did one for Punch Line, it would still be a complete box set and could probably be found for $80 to $120 depending on what’s in it.

When it comes out it comes out and it will cost what it will cost:

http://www.fandompost.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/punchline1.jpg" />

Punchline being promoted at a convention

http://yattarjapan.com/admin/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/150324-01-04.jpg" />

The costume actually looks nice

https://33.media.tumblr.com/012ae4e56cfba8c186815e5bedeaafaf/tumblr_nnmw6vQkfd1sg1ksjo1_500.gif" />

I’m sorry but I happen to be one of those people who has a problem with overthinking everything too much. I don’t even go out the door without checking to see everything’s locked three or four times.

And….yep that is one nice costume.What con was it taken at?

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

And….yep that is one nice costume.What con was it taken at?

AnimeJapan 2015 I think it was called,

here is some pictures to get people interested in Punchline

https://d.maxfile.ro/nmysgrzwcn.gif" />

https://38.media.tumblr.com/8aede4ba9e0051ca7039ab96362bed2e/tumblr_nogii25gev1s8sotmo1_500.gif" />

and here is a pic of punchline game
      http://i.imgur.com/dd99K8Zl.jpg" />

Nobuyuki
      Participant

WisperG wrote:

We English speakers won’t see anything until Sentai releases their box set next year, or whenever they’re allowed to.

August, sub-only.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      just a reminder the Punch Line ps vita game comes out on April 28

and the manga is out, just no translation so far that I can find

http://gs.dengeki.com/news/56780/” class=”bbcode_url”>http://gs.dengeki.com/news/56780/

Is there any specific date or do they only know that it’s supposed to be August?
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      no specific dates, just August
      WisperG
      Actually, we do have a date. August 16th.

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Punch-Line-Blu-ray

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      link to the punchline op, I wondered why this wasn’t here already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Zku8hut4g” class=”bbcode_url”>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Zku8hut4g

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.