Remembering AI Tenchi Muyi

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Remembering AI Tenchi Muyi

• This topic is empty.
    As Tenchi Muyo OVA is about to come out in Fall 2016, I start to remember Ai Tenchi Muyo. Ai Tenchi Muyo was all right, but it had its share of flaws. One of the flaws was the excessive fanservice. There were some scenes in which I think that the fanservice was all right. Still, one the events in the sports festival had gone too far with the fanservice.

Ai Tenchi Muyo ‘s main plot had focus on a time related paradox which threaten the existance of the universe. The paradox was created when Momo Kawanagare was accidentally sent to the future with Mihoshi and Ryoko by Washu. Strangely, Ryoko was her former self before she met Tenchi. Ai’s Ryoko is a lot like Universe’s Ryoko. Mihoshi had known about Ryoko being a Space Pirate. Like Ryoko, Mihoshi had not met Tenchi.

The paradox was created when Momo was sent to the future along with her guardian Hachiko. spoiler In the last epsiode, it had turn out that Momo was one of Tenchi’s female ancestors. Momo’s key sword is one of the important relics of the Masaki Family Shrine.

The paradox was resolved after Momo and Hachiko were sent to the past. in one of the last scenes, Momo was her young self. Hachiko and Momo were at the Masaki Family Shrine. The two had a run in with the Chief Priest and his three daughters. The chief priest of the Masaki Family Shrine and his three daughters were aware of Momo being a Jurain Princess. The Masaki Family is one of Japan’s oldest Clans.

Ai Tenchi Muyo had been able to disclose how the Masaki Family on Earth had an important link with the Jurain Royal Family. Momo have likely sent to Earth from Jurai as a part of a betrothal. All I can say about Momo’s fiance is that he was one of Tenchi’s male ancestors. Knowing of Momo’s status as a Jurain Princess, her fiance was likely the oldest son of the then present Head of the Masaki Family.

Ai Tenchi Muyo was a good series. It had disclosed a critical fact about the Masaki Clan or Masaki Family. Momo may havve been one of Tenchi’s female ancestors on his mother’s side of the family.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Replies
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Admittedly, I too was a bit worried about how Ai Tenchi Muyo! would turn out when I saw the first episode: the fan service was a bit too pandering for my tastes. Fortunately, it was largely a passing thing (perhaps it was there, as I’ve proposed before, to act as a sort of veneer of modernity to attract newer viewers in the first place…unfortunately, panties-in-face-of-male-protagonist = anime to a lot of people).

I’ll always remember Ai fondly for a number of reasons. Regardless of whether one liked it or not, those who are excited for OVA 4 have Ai to thank for testing the waters and garnering interest in a TM! property all over again. After Geminar and before Ai (which Negishi practically begged to have green-lit), Toru Miura himself said it was a dead franchise. There would not be an OVA 4 were it not for Ai Tenchi Muyo! existing. It should therefore be regarded as venerable, in some form or another, by all of TM! fandom.

One of the reasons I’ll remember it fondly is because it will forever stand testament to what this franchise could (and should) have been. Considering it was a mini-series (we have Toru Miura primarily to thank for that, due to not having faith in the franchise anymore), and the plot was repurposed from a would-be third movie, and the funds for the film were raised largely by Takahashi (you have old man Kaji to partially thank for bankrupting AIC in the first place), it’s nothing short of a miracle that it was produced at all (and at an acceptable level of production quality, unlike many reboots out there). If you would have told me before Ai that Negishi would effectively come out of retirement to helm a Tenchi project in 2014, I’d have called you crazy. It’s a shame that, once again, AIC (i.e. Miura) can’t fathom one iota of the potential they had in their hands with a talented director (who is more qualified than any other human being alive today to direct TM! in this day and age) like that back in the wheelhouse, and Negishi basically had to depart broken-hearted once more. At least, yet again, we’ll likely have Ai to thank for getting Negishi back in the saddle and ready to take on more personal (non-Tenchi) projects which he (and many fans) will find fulfilling.

And, of course, despite all the difficulties associated with it (a Herculean task, let me assure you all), I’ll remember the fan-subbing of Ai as the latest and greatest achievement in a long list of amazing fan-fueled endeavors in which I was able to revel with my Tenchiforum crew. It lead to amazing installments of Tenchicast, hosting a panel at a convention, and interacting with Matt and Petrea and much of the rest of the fandom. I’ll carry those memories with me forever.

Whether Ai is a taste of more to come in the far-flung future, or (more likely) it’s destined to be remembered as a last holdout for a TM!, AIC, and anime-viewing climate of yesteryear, I’ll always be grateful to everyone involved (including your own Dagon123, Nil Admirari, Crazed, and TITANOFCHAOS) for bringing Ai Tenchi Muyo!–a true blast from the past that struck all the right chords–to fans around the world for one last hurrah.

Only on the roller coaster that is TM! fandom can one experience the kinds of ups and downs–with both triumphs and tragedies, mountain-top highs and soul-crushing lows–that this franchise and its various fandoms have seen come and go. All I can say for now is “What a ride!” and get my bearings (you know, make everything stop spinning) before even considering getting back in line again. That’s the thing about carnivals…they can be both exciting and terrifying, and it all depends on which jaded, underpaid carny’s overworked hands are at the controls. I hope everyone has fun on this next ride…be sure and let me know how it goes. I’ll be waiting by the concession stand (you know, not puking my guts out).

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.