Rock/revy

Forums Off Topic Other Anime Rock/revy

• This topic is empty.
    So I did this thread in another forum on a different name so I thought I would bring it up here. In black Lagoon do you think Rock and revy were in love if that was possible in that series? I mean it seemed the only one Revy let close to her was Rock and she did do things to help Rock which would be out of character of her like how she rescued him when he got kidnapped.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Replies
      It’s more than a given when you see this scene in question-

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd16Xfx-aJo[/BBvideo]

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      wth2 Darnit that I didn’t see this waaaay sooner.

Were they “in love” at any point we see in the anime? I dunno’ about that, it’s not quite appropriate wording in my opinion in this context, but they’re an item in my mind, no doubt about it. They’re one of my favorite anime “couples” largely because of how the series itself pulled things off as far as romance goes. Revy is, to an extent, putting up a front for protection (as we all do), but she never becomes weak and timid after she “lets a man into her life” (unlike, say, the huge let down I’ve heard many address with the female lead in the Sword Art Online series) because that just isn’t who she is. Likewise, Rock toughens up a bit out of necessity in his new environment, but he doesn’t change fundamentally or ‘magically become superior to Revy simply because he’s a male’ (anime viewers, you know what I’m talking about). Though he has his own skill sets that compliment the team, when it really hits the fan, Revy consistently has to swoop in and save him (they’re a perfect, non-parodying role-reversal of the “damsel in distress” trope).

I like very much your own phrasing, evilgenius, “if that was possible in that series” because the world of Black Lagoon is dreary and cruel, which makes moments like the ones Makoto posted so impactful: they are beautiful in that they are fleeting. As I mentioned before, the series hits the nail on the head in that it doesn’t hit us, the viewers, over the head with sappy, overt romance that would be downright out of place. It’s subtle, very, very subtle in a series known for its explicitness, but it’s there.

I wonder if that was part of the reason in this last arc that started with episode 19 they had Revy accompany Rock and Balalaika to Japan.I mean there’s no other reason for her to be there,Balalaika obviously doesn’t need her services and Rock can pretty much stay out of trouble as long as he keeps a low profile.So the only reason then to have Revy along would be to add to any possible Rock/Revy romance.

I mean she spends most of episode 20 in the background(unless you count the entire time she’s at the playground).

Thorn

The_evil_Genius wrote:

So I did this thread in another forum on a different name so I thought I would bring it up here. In black Lagoon do you think Rock and revy were in love if that was possible in that series? I mean it seemed the only one Revy let close to her was Rock and she did do things to help Rock which would be out of character of her like how she rescued him when he got kidnapped.

I’m a closet romantic so I like to think so regardless of the evidence with a lot of ships that I favor, but there is quite a bit of compelling evidence to support this ship. As already mentioned, she went out of her way to save him when he got abducted AFTER saying that she’d leave him to die two episodes earlier. Also, she saved him because she WANTED to because she had the documents the entire time. Another clue is that she tries more than once to get him to stay in Japan during the Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise arc. It wasn’t because she actually wanted him to leave…she didn’t. She wanted him to stay in Roanapur like he did, but she doesn’t want him to lose himself like everyone else. Also, does anyone here really think Revy would care if Eda chose to hit on Dutch or Benny?

Not really.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.