Scanlation project : Eternal Memory

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Translation Zone Scanlation project : Eternal Memory

• This topic is empty.
    Hey there !

What I want you to think right now is : “Oh, someone is motivated by a non-“canon” material 😮

So yeah, I guess most of you already know Eternal Memory, the manga telling the story of Tenchi Forever + the side story of Sasami during the movie.

Sasami’s story has already been translated, but the translator took a lot of liberties. Therefore I’ve decided to redo it, with the true meaning and luckily, with good scans quality…

My progression :

100% pages ripped (I double check the text for accuracy only when translating)

75% pages scanlated

I’m actually doing the editing right after I’ve translated, so I don’t get bored. Y’know… repetitive labor is your enemy..

Why I create this thread

While translation is hard, and translators are rare, translating this manga so far is very amusing and even easy sometime. If I’m lucky I can do a few pages in a row on my own… and when I’m not I have to seek help for one sentence per page.

I’m not trying to create a Scanlation Group or whatever. What I would love to have is more than my 2 own eyes to check my work. Accuracy of translation and localization is one thing, but quality of the scans, english expression and grammar are another. And I “need” all that.

I’m confident with my translations, but why should you trust me ?

What you could do, if you wan to

Get some time to look at what I’ve already done, telling me what should be changed (at large), & stuff

Editing the englsih text in the jap scans, photoshopping is funny after all

Help me proofread the rip text

Help me translating

People interested ?

Deadline : Sometime in August wth2

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Replies
      jgzinv
      Just as a note I’ve offered to help proofread his end result.

I’d also like to say thanks to Chaud for stepping forward and taking on a

project like this.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Hey Chaud i’ll be happy read and say anything to correct and/or improve the text when you’re done translating . We need more translators like you.
      ChaudSept

JGZinv wrote:

Just as a note I’ve offered to help proofread his end result.

And already helping today badass1

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Hey Chaud i’ll be happy read and say anything to correct and/or improve the text when you’re done translating . We need more translators like you.

I had a hitch about the scans, so I’m going through what I have already done, but anyway, hit me in pm with a mail adress, that way I’ll send some stuff whenever possible.

ChaudSept
      So.. here I am in vacation.

New sets of scans, lot of time to do translation, and for my own reasons I have japanese humans all over me. So even though I’m not super quick, I’ll try to be accurate. I’ll aim for the end of August. No guarantee though.

Also, what do you like to read, if say, Sasami calls out Tenchi :

1 – “Tenchi-niichan!”

2 – “Big brother Tenchi!”

3 – “Tenchi!”

I have my opinion, but hey, I want to hear yours.

This applies for all san, dono, sama.. and so on.

drillmaster
      That is awesome. I can’t wait to see how it all comes together in the end.

If I had a preference, I’d go with plain old “Tenchi.” We know Sasami’s relationship with Tenchi so it would be more natural for English readers.

But what do I know?

ChaudSept

drillmaster wrote:

But what do I know?

Jon Snow gendo1

I think I agree with you, though I started scanlating with all the “niichan, san..”.., I may or may not change everything.

Without honorific names, it’s closer to my french experience of TM!. But if you look at :

– Your dubs

– The mangas in english

Everywhere, there are the “Ms Ryoko”, “Lord Tenchi” and so on.

So will it be more natural for english viewer ? I’m not sure.

Crazed and Nil made the choice of going with all the “Miss and Brother” when translating Hexagram.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I think I would be easier to just stick with just saying “Tenchi”
      drillmaster
      Honestly, the two people in the English translations who insist on anything close to a honorific as Ayeka, who calls Tenchi “Lord” and occasionally Ryoko “miss,” and Washu, with “Little.” It works well with Washu since she is eccentric and with Ayeka since she plays up her nobility. We, as people who understand Sasami’s relationship with Tenchi, can imply the level of respect she has for him by her actions. Her character doesn’t really need the verbal tics unless you are trying to stick 100% to everything from the text.

Localizing a bit is not bad depending on what you are doing.

jgzinv
      On some level it also helps clarify how someone is saying a statement. In other words it can be as much a help for the reader as the translator slogging through the work.
      ChaudSept
      I hear what you all say. The hardest part of the choice is I don’t always like what everyone likes, huhu.

Anyhoo, I’ve decided that tonight is sample time! So feel try to feedback me on the honorific-titles issue.

Today isn’t a special 50% day of whatever, I just laughed doing that specific page so.. here it is.

[hidden]http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/33/1439164772-tcmyinl2-066.jpg" />[/hidden]

drillmaster
      …is that OVA Kagato?

Seriously, I want to read this whole thing so I have the proper context of all of this. The honorifics, again, aren’t my preference, but it doesn’t really matter. It’s still great material.

Thank you Chaud!

jgzinv
      It’s Eternal Memory, so unless done as a parody, it would be Universe Kagato.
      drillmaster
      Yeah, I get that. I’m just curious what the situation is. Im sure it’s a nod to the design, but I wonder if there could be any other nods to Tenchi’s lore.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      To be honest, when I first saw Kagato in the panel, I started to think it was a joke comic strip made by a fan. It’s kinda of weird seeing Kagato being made into a joke, even though Negishi had written the story. I think another nod would be Tsunami, I don’t think she has been mentioned in Universe nor been given physical appearance.

The honorifics are not that big a deal, but you could put in a note somewhere defining them just in case.

jgzinv
      Eternal memory introduces tsunami, not as the tree… But until the translation is dine we can but guess.
      ChaudSept
      Maybe I shouldn’t have spoiled all this.

Anyhou all this questions will be answered as soon as I’m done.

Btw, discussing Negishi’s continuity, I feel like a debate could exist about EM’s degree of canoncity.

Stay tuned & get hyped.

jgzinv
      *snicker*

You have noooo idea how long the debate about EM’s cannonicity has been going on lol. Kiyofacepalm1

ChaudSept
      Aaaaah it was based on either a liberty-translation or some images. Am I right?

Or some japanese-knowledge people did say anything about it?

It won’t stop me anywayyyy

jgzinv
      Well there was the whole Punistation debacle, we never really got anything outside of that.

Most of what we got was heresay from people that could read Japanese but were very opinionated.

I know the debate predates me though, at least as far back as the AIC YaBBS.

ChaudSept
      Glad to hear it. Put the past behind! We shouldn’t even bother to talk about it. muhuhu.
      evilpii
      Participant
      none

drillmaster wrote:

…is that OVA Kagato?

JGZinv wrote:

It’s Eternal Memory, so unless done as a parody, it would be Universe Kagato.

Having read Punistation’s version and seeing all the images, the character design being used is from OVA Kagato, or at least heavily influenced by him. Whether or not the character itself is Universe Kagato will have to be sorted via the content of the story.

Ukinojo92 wrote:

I think another nod would be Tsunami, I don’t think she has been mentioned in Universe nor been given physical appearance.

JGZinv wrote:

Eternal memory introduces tsunami, not as the tree…

Likewise, Ukinojo and JG are correct. Tsunami has never been mentioned by name throughout Universe or its two films. I have had my own pet theories about how Tsunami might be connected to the Jurai power referenced throughout Negishi’s works, but I am eager to see what Chaud’s translation yields. Tenchismile

How is that going, Chaud? qt1

ChaudSept

evilpii wrote:

How is that going, Chaud?

Huuu uh. .

Well I think I didn’t translate anything in months :|

Anyway, half of it is already done, but when a bubble stops me, it slows me, and I end up doing a big break.

The story is divided in several chapters, I’m thinking of releasing the first one instead of showing off the whole thing when done. What do you guys think ?

Also, how should I share it ? Nothing is better than direct download ?

jgzinv
      If the pages get much more yellowed you’re going to have a banana with text. wth2
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      are there pages that haven’t yellowed yet? gonna scan them or no?
      ChaudSept
      It’s been a while.

[hidden]Since the end is near, I choose to post what has been achieve so far.

https://mega.nz/#F!J4sgCAxT!MSLvYYlhYVlFxzCt8u9Nvw” class=”bbcode_url”>https://mega.nz/#F!J4sgCAxT!MSLvYYlhYVlFxzCt8u9Nvw

If the forum closes before I can post the end, pm me now so I can send you the full stuff in a near/nigh/far future.

I will keep all the extracted raw text and associated translation somewhere, if proofreading needed, we never know.[/hidden]

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.