Shadows list of animes to watch

Forums Off Topic Other Anime Shadows list of animes to watch

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    This list is a few shows I’ve heard of, discovered in my depths of internet surfing, or have watched several years back. In a way this is kindof like Mitsuki lover’s list and ive covered several as of late, but here is a list of animes I would like to check out.

If you guys have any recommendations, feel free to send them my way ^^

-Yamato 2199

-Hunter X Hunter

-Kaze No Stigma

-Demon King Daiamo

-El Hazard(no, I have yet to watch it)

-Black Blood Brothers

-Vandread

-Gungrave

-Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor

-A Certain Magical Index

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Replies
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Yamamoto 2199: From every source I’ve heard that I value and trust, this is a must-see. I regret not having seen it yet, and plan to ASAP.

Demon King Daiomo: I’ll be honest here, I disliked this one terribly. This is my personal opinion, and could be chalked up to “not my cup of tea” but again, in all honesty, objectively it’s really nothing spectacular or stand-out. It is a fairly typical “rage against the heavens” anime (which isn’t its weakness), so however you feel about those will likely have a big influence on your viewing experience.

(If you don’t want to read my rage review, please skip the following passage outlined below)

Here, however, is its weaknesses. Not only is the fan service frequent and gratuitous, but banal and predictable. It’s not even a small, ignore-able part of the show if you happen to not care for anything ecchi (as is, say, the fan service in Geminar). It’s the main edifice of the show. A lazily-thrown-on plot is included so it can call itself an anime.

Add that to the fact that the main character (and by extension, the show itself) has an uppity attitude about not only established religion but any sort of reverence, or belief, or possibility of belief in a higher power that equates to the pubescent-fueled angst expressed as non-intelligently and non-eloquently as could be expected from a freshman undergrad in their first week of Philosophy 101 and thinking they’ve got everything figured out–i.e. annoying (there’s nothing wrong with being atheist, but if your attitude about it is “I’m so much smarter than all of you” solely because you’re not religious and others are, on top of you won’t shut up about it…well, why would I put up with that, let alone sit through ‘x’ number of episodes of an anime?). It’s not even a redeemable character flaw of his (as is so with Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist). From the get-go, it’s “look at this character, he’s so much smarter than everyone else because he’s the first one to ever have the idea of disbanding religion, he’s brilliant!”

And all of this, ALL of this would be bearable were it not for the fact that he turns around and assumes his predestined role (as ordained by “God”) as “King of the Demons.” It strikes me as hypocritical (kind of like a hard-lined atheist begging to God for help when a storm hits, or religious leaders professing charity while lining their pockets with donations…hypocrisy, in any form, irks me something terrible).

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/84b595be-c727-4d50-b387-bef5e6aebd39_zpsdcb46535.jpg" />

(Rage over)

Where was I? Oh yeah, Vandread: I tried that a number of years ago, but it didn’t really click with me and I didn’t even make it through the first episode. If you do watch it, and it’s good, please let me know (or any others, I enjoy recommendations).

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      I’d rank Yamato and El Hazard (the original OVA) as “must-see”; Gungrave is good when it’s a crime drama, not so much when it reverts back to its videogame roots; Vandread‘s decent enough, though the message gets muddled; I’ve yet to open my Gemini of the Meteor discs; can’t get past the main character’s design in Black Blood Brothers and have no interest in the remainders.
      shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      I definitely will be watching Yamato and El Hazard. As for Black Blood Brothers I will see how it roles to see if I want to keep watching it. Gungrave I do want to see at least the good parts.

And Who, I did like the review you did; the rage review ^^. It probably saved me watching a flat story that I wouldve looked past the ecchi to only find a lackluster gem of a story. As far as Vandread, I will watch through it as I can and let you know if it gets better, although as Nobuyuki said, it tends to muddle its point.

Another anime I have to add to the list is Ergo Proxy. I am in current watching of Black Lagoon however ^^

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      I saw Gungrave on Anime Unleashed when it ran there,it has a rather slow start with the first episode dumping you right in the middle of the action.Basically not bad for an anime that started out as a video

game.Unfortunately in the first episode it does show it’s origins too much.But once you get pass it it gets

better.

El Hazard,I’ve only seen The Alternative World version.

Vandread,seen only one volume of The Second Stage(second season).Basically an interesting twist to the

war of the sexes.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

El Hazard,I’ve only seen The Alternative World version.

The only good parts of that series are the OP theme, ED theme and Quawoor. 😉

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      El Hazard the original is actually really good. As well as this show I discovered called Ergo Proxy.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

shadowsfall0 wrote:

El Hazard the original is actually really good.

To be clear, I was strictly referring to the “Alternative World” series.

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      Oh, I know. I was just stating that the original was good, I started it. I probably won’t watch the Alternate World. Nevertheless, the original so far is actually really well done, I wouldnt think I would like the artstyle that it used (Tenchi in Tokyo’s) but it actually fit it rather well
      Well you have to go with whatever happens to be avaible at the time,and I think that The Alternative World was the only one avaible at Rightstuf when I ordered.

On the plus side:Inoue Kikou(aka Belldandy on AMG)as the teacher’s love interest/wife.

Almael
      Sometimes being spoiled in the wrong (watching) order is bad but i don’t see this happening here.

Get Yamato 2199, El Hazard first then

Vandread and the rest

Btw. “A Certain Magical Index” comes after “A Certain Scientific Railgun” and before “A Certain Scientific Railgun S” <_< imho weird naming order, waiting for SS, SSS, and Z 😆

Kaze No Stigma; kind of slow, it’s more about character relationship & building and slapsticks, could as well pass it

Hunter X Hunter; I wouldn’t watch beyond the first arc the rest is naruto-esque

Demon King Daiamo; fan service

Black Blood Brothers, Gungrave, Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor; kind of the same as Trigun

For a better (action) watching list look for the “best anime fights” thread somewhere in this forum.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

On the plus side:Inoue Kikou(aka Belldandy on AMG)as the teacher’s love interest/wife.

Can’t believe I missed this earlier… but no, wrong character, ML. 😳

eh…been awhile since I watched The Alternative World.
      shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      As of now, I have added to the list and am watching S-cry-ed. Dagon was right in saying it was a good anime. Since I am a Needless fan, I have enjoyed this anime, and even though I am only on episode 4 so far, Sunrise has yet to disappoint me with this and their other franchises. Also Dagon was right that the Dub cast is great.

Another anime I have to add to my list, courtesy of Pii, is Bastard!. Watching many AMVs of it, has made me want to watch it. I have read only a bit of the Manga, but the anime as I am told is excellent.

S-cry-ed is another show that aired on AS back in the day.I would say it was a bit better than Code Geass.
      shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      Okay, so now I have an update to my list of animes to watch

Mobile Suit Gundam(The Original)

Nadia

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

(Finish) Big O

Blassreiter

Rozen Maiden

Kanon

Gatekeeper(The Series, not OVA)

shadowsfall0 wrote:

Okay, so now I have an update to my list of animes to watch

Mobile Suit Gundam(The Original)

Nadia

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

(Finish) Big O

Blassreiter

Rozen Maiden

Kanon

Gatekeeper(The Series, not OVA)

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi also had a brief manga that was only two volumes.I have the first volume.It’s raunchier than the anime in parts.

The Gatekeeper OVA is called Gatekeepers21 and is actually considered better than the series by some.

It’s also darker.The OVA aired on Anime Unleashed.

I don’t know if you realize but there’s a newer version of Rozen Maiden out now.It takes place in an alternative world where Jun didn’t wind Shinku.

I don’t know much else about it except that John at Animenation’s Ask John wasn’t much impressed by

the new version.

Overall though Rozen Maiden is a fun series,but if you get the Sentai version be careful as they pile

their discs in a stack.on the other hand with Sentai you get the entire series the original season,Traumend

and the two episode Overture OVA.

Blassreiter is something that somehow gets passed by and needs the love.Amanda should really be up there with the likes of the Major from GITS and Priss from Bubblegum Crisis when it comes to anime heroines.

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      I have watched all of the shows I wanted to but my list keeps growing…

Here is an addition to my list of shows that I plan on watching

-12 Kingdoms

-Madoka Magica

-(finish) Serial Experiments Lain

-Black Heaven

-Rahxephon

Nobuyuki
      Participant

shadowsfall0 wrote:

Here is an addition to my list of shows that I plan on watching…

Approved.

I don’t know if you watched it or not yet but I would say Evangelion is something to watch.
      Serial Experiments Lain has one of the biggest Mindf@@k endings since Eva!
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.