Star Citizen

Forums Off Topic Video Games Star Citizen

• This topic is empty.
    Star Citizen

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Is a crowd funded game to come out next year.

It’s headed by Chris Roberts from the Wing Commander series.

It started out sometime last year and has already gained 16 millions in pledges.

With the Nexus the Jupiter – Incidence 2 failing twice, I didn’t expect to see it to doing so well. So I wasn’t paying as much attention as I should have.

Anyway, it seems it will offer player-mods e.g. your own ship designs.

In addiction it seems to offer planetary adventure of some kind. I guess with everyone trying to merge MMO’s space & FPS it’s not really surprising.

The game is using the Crysis 3 engine. I kind of have doubts it would do well with space stuff but there’s nothing else in the works.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Replies
      jgzinv
      I’m already in there, and may be moving my mod there in the future.

Joined the Sanctuary Republic clan for it, as I knew a couple people in it already.

I’ve got a constellation and 350R package…

[SR] JGZinv or in game “Zinv” at your service.

Almael
      Thanks for answering. I was about to ask that. :D

The mod feature is certainly intriguing, but seeing as to how much work needs to be done it’s more like a (lifetime) job than a hobby.

I’m good at designing and I’m probably could do the complete 3D stuff but I doubt I could spare the time.

If ya need a man for design, outside & interior, engineering stuff I’m willing to get on a project.

As to 3D, 5 levels of detail for every object part versions not to mention upgrade versions that’s easily dozens of the same work for each one.

With about 100 objects for fighters …way too much work needed for anyone wanting a big ship.

Anyway, with life insurance gone there’s not much choice but to join some faction.

There’s lots more of pledges you need to do now and the only real incentive is the membership…

I’m not sure if I should pledge. *shrugs*

I, just hope it won’t become a faction heavy game and there’s still some independence left. I’m tired of becoming a rebel and fighting the biggest faction every time. 😆

jgzinv
      I think the constellation is 1.3 million polies at lod 0… incredible is all I can say.

I’m used to work with ships that max out at 1200 polies.

But yeah the mod features should be robust if they make good on what they’ve been saying.

Ultimately they have said that they are going to use the Cytek sandbox editor that is already

in place, so if you really want to get going ahead of time, just download the SDK.

I’ve been meaning to, but just haven’t had time.

Right now we’re look at the hanger module being released in the next couple weeks if I recall.

The alpha dogfight thing won’t be till the end of the year.

We could certainly use some help. Right now we’re still suffering with the FS2 engine. I don’t want

to commit to SC, and then find out it flops… so we’re still FS2 based for right now.

If anything I need help getting models lightly rigged, like weapon points, dock points, etc.

We have old game models from the original source game finally. Which admittedly are low poly and

aged, but it’s something to get playable. We’ve got a fair number of higher poly items, but they are not textured, so I’ve been concentration on using the old stuff for the time being to get a demo made.

Almael
      Yes, exactly. We modders are used to have to do all details within some kilo polygons. Even the recent Sins of Empire game only allowed up to 20k for ships. And FPS shooters maps like Elite Force1 & 2 aren’t hardly complex at all. SC is a whole quantum leap for everyone. I dunno how exact the count is but it seem 3k for each object in case of the Hornet. That’s a lot. Of all the 0.1% member “3D artists” in the mod section I doubt there are many with any modding experience. It’s going to be a wake-up call for many when they realize the real scope of modding. Although, they shouldn’t have a problem to go all wild as usual without care for polygon counts. Still it’s an alluring prospect to do a big ship. :D

It seems the SDK doesn’t work properly on my machine; too demanding plus a strange windows graphic problem I couldn’t resolve. Teamwork is the magic word for me..

I think SC is gonna kill Eve-online, Star Trek online and most other starship games. Its complexity may become trouble or cause upgrades to take too long. If it does run properly I think it will run for a long time.

I see. If I can run the tools there’s no problem other than time.

Nice, any way I can get my hands on the models? Even if only for looking at. :D

jgzinv
      The new models or old?

Either way, we can probably setup something if you want to get in with the mod to

do little stuff.

Hit me up on IM or email, Even a few models are fairly big files size wise so it’d be better

to use something like a direct transfer.

Almael
      Ready whenever you are. I take whatever comes my way.

There’s also something I would like to point to.

jgzinv
      For those from here looking to get in… this is the last chance

to do so and get infinite rebuilds of your ship or buy some of the special

packages…

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13377-Anniversary-Sale-Details

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.