Supernatural or Science?

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Supernatural or Science?

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    Is the powers in the Tenchi-verses supernatural or scientific power?
Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Replies
      Disco Steve
      Participant
      Very interesting thought.

Washu would tell you it’s all science, wouldn’t she… I would say it’s all science with the exception of the choushin and the Light Hawk powers.

But shit… what about Jurain power butts1

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Disco Steve wrote:

Very interesting thought.

Washu would tell you it’s all science, wouldn’t she… I would say it’s all science with the exception of the choushin and the Light Hawk powers.

But shit… what about Jurain power butts1

Juraian and those with Trees, Powers

Trees of Jurai

The Tenchi-verse is a mix of things, I was wondering which is more dominant power, science or magic?

These links could help you

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Even still Snow, there is more than one force of power, tech, high tech, and other. The powers are evident if you watch the anime closely and manga.
      Anonymous

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Even still Snow, there is more than one force of power, tech, high tech, and other. The powers are evident if you watch the anime closely and manga.

I think the better word to use would be “Magic” not “Supernatural”, Supernatural is more implied towards Ghosts or other such things, Tenchi Muyo! Is much like Star Wars, it might be a high-tech fantasy, but it is still more a fantasy than Sci-Fi, a term I like to use called “Sci-Fantasy”.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Dagon123 wrote:

I think the better word to use would be “Magic” not “Supernatural”, Supernatural is more implied towards Ghosts or other such things, Tenchi Muyo! Is much like Star Wars, it might be a high-tech fantasy, but it is still more a fantasy than Sci-Fi, a term I like to use called “Sci-Fantasy”.

I’m kind of going back and forth from “Magic” or “Supernatural” terms, because of OVA ep 4 Mihoshi Falls to the Land of Stars. The part where Ryoko calls forth spirits and creates a bigger one to fight Ayeka. Also Tenchi Universe ep 18, No Need for a Ghost! But yeah, I think Sci-Fantasy would be the term for now.

By the way, going to put this up before any Washu fans:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/214/3/d/washu_meme_5_by_kanjo007-d59m2ee.jpg" />

I have to agree with Snow on this one. Magic is simply science for those who don’t understand science,going back to Clark’s Law of course.

And this is what the whole thing with power in Tenchi Moyu is all about:it’s superior science

that according to Clark’s Law appears to be the same as Magic.

SnowQueen
      I think Tenchi Muyo has it all. Science, “Magic”, and Supernatural elements. I guess it depends on one’s personal beliefs and how they view the real world as well.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I think “Science Fantasy” is as close as a descriptive one-liner for such TM! elements. This is a great topic, and it’s one of the many reasons I love TM! so much! Much like Outlaw Star, it really is a healthy mixture of science and magic, and individual people choosing what belongs on which category or what categories there really are lends to its staying power.

Though due to my own experiences I tend to view science as the “fun buster” in writing and my own life, objectively speaking everything and anything falls under “science” if it’s objectively observable or quantifiable. So, though from my own personal view I would contend “The Devil Caller” Ryoko conjuring spirits falls in the spiritual/fantastic/magic realm, I am also aware that Washu is likely responsible for all of Ryoko’s abilities, including evocation…which means in Washu terms, even Shinto-esque fiddling around with souls or the essence of the divine found in even inanimate things is SCIENCE!!!

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

I think “Science Fantasy” is as close as a descriptive one-liner for such TM! elements. This is a great topic, and it’s one of the many reasons I love TM! so much! Much like Outlaw Star, it really is a healthy mixture of science and magic, and individual people choosing what belongs on which category or what categories there really are lends to its staying power.

Though due to my own experiences I tend to view science as the “fun buster” in writing and my own life, objectively speaking everything and anything falls under “science” if it’s objectively observable or quantifiable. So, though from my own personal view I would contend “The Devil Caller” Ryoko conjuring spirits falls in the spiritual/fantastic/magic realm, I am also aware that Washu is likely responsible for all of Ryoko’s abilities, including evocation…which means in Washu terms, even Shinto-esque fiddling around with souls or the essence of the divine found in even inanimate things is SCIENCE!!!

Just finished Hexagram of Love and I would totally agree and your points are merited.

It’s comparable to a lot of Dr.Who especially when Sylvester McCoy played the Seventh Doctor.

Lot of stories revolving around the Supernatural/Preternatural/Paranormal.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Quote:

SnowQueen:

I think Tenchi Muyo has it all. Science, “Magic”, and Supernatural elements. I guess it depends on one’s personal beliefs and how they view the real world as well.

I am starting to think in a way, this is how Tenchi is written, a thing (like a certain dress) that would look like what most people would recognize. Some would see something as a unexplained science, a natural phenomenon, a supernatural event, etc. It’s like the bridge and glue of all the scatter pieces everywhere that Tenchi has in it, hence the term Sci-Fantasy.

So what you’re saying is it’s in the eye of the beholder then?
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      ^ All ten of them.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

So what you’re saying is it’s in the eye of the beholder then?

Umm, as best as it can I describe, yes

Then we are back to Clarke’s Law again.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Then we are back to Clarke’s Law again.

Maybe? With Tenchi anything can go out the window in a second, especially with Washu and Mihoshi around

True enough.
      😆 😆 😆 😆

Though the song actually is:She Blinded Me With Science

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

😆 😆 😆 😆

Though the song actually is:She Blinded Me With Science

http://webpages.charter.net/smerrow/posters/washu.jpg" />

I was re-watching episode 24 of Betterman yesterday night and realized that that was yet another series where science and supernatural combine.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      A Certain Magical Index and A Scientific Railgun would also be a point and example of how it is in Tenchi.
      With Betterman it wa Asami who was the Voice of Reason and she would come up with an

explanation for all the weirdness in one episode in the following one.

Kind of like Washu is supposedly the Voice of Reason in Tenchi.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Tenchi in Tokyo is in my opinion, leaning more towards the supernatural than the rest of the Tenchi series.
      How so?
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

How so?

They kept throwing in spirits and stuff in the beginning episodes alot.

Oh…having not seen it I’m pretty ignorant of what goes on in TiT.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Oh…having not seen it I’m pretty ignorant of what goes on in TiT.

See it, then come back and debate after seeing supernatural stuff and science in one episode

😆

It would depend if I have enough room for it in my collection.

Both OVA 1 and 2 and Universe are probably the most Science-related as far as I know, and then Tenchi Forever seems to combine a bit of the two, but again mostly Science-related.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

😆

It would depend if I have enough room for it in my collection.

Both OVA 1 and 2 and Universe are probably the most Science-related as far as I know, and then Tenchi Forever seems to combine a bit of the two, but again mostly Science-related.

26 episodes and a special that was translated by the Tenchiforum translation crew

TiT Omake Specialhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_7fm__a7EM” class=”bbcode_url”>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_7fm__a7EM

I prefer to own. It’s just the way I am.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      ITunes has the series
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      He means discs.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

He means discs.

Try funimation or ebay

Well Rightstuf still has them available…
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Well, Hulu has all 26 episodes but only in subs, theres only 4 episodes dubs
Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.