Sword Art Online

Forums Off Topic Other Anime Sword Art Online

• This topic is empty.
  • Replies
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Mittens wrote:

Mittens prefers the first part of Season One because Asuna is more badass in it.

^This.

I too quite enjoyed SAO (the first part at least) and I’m looking forward to the new season! I thought that it was exciting while still more intelligent due to the cool technology and concepts it employed. As you said, Mittens, it’s certainly nothing that hasn’t already been explored in the .hack// franchise, but I felt that it was still new and interesting enough to merit attention. A lot of people like to complain about the main character being massively overpowered and basically a fan wish fulfillment character, and I can’t really argue that analysis all that much. What I did enjoy most about his story though was the fact that the romance wasn’t dragged out to the end of the show. He found his gal pal, the aforementioned badass Asuna, and after a sufficiently believable amount of time they acknowledged their feelings and hooked up. This impressed me, because in most other shows I’ve seen the romance is stretched to the very end of the show, and only then do the love interests get together. I just thought it was a nice change of pace to see two characters come together and draw strength from their relationship openly and confidently from relatively early on in the season.

My overall impressions: SAO certainly isn’t the BEST SHOW EVAR that some in the anime community make it out to be, but neither is it the WORST SHOW EVAR that most want to make it out as. The only qualification I make to my review is that I only speak highly of the first half, as the second half is almost entirely without redeeming value in my opinion. Bring on season 2!

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Mittens wrote:

Mittens prefers the first part of Season One because Asuna is more badass in it.

Unfortunately I haven’t continued viewing since Otakon blush1 but this is one of the more prominent criticisms I’ve heard: a character with wheelbarrows full of potential, and she is relegated to the Japanese feminine stereotype of the demure damsel in distress. Shame, really.

jgzinv
      Well I’ll admit I’m a SAO otaku… maybe not quite to Dual level but I’m completist about it.

The SAO everyone knows is a loose variation of the novels, where Asuna and Kirito had a lot more time spent together before they tied the knot virtually. Events also took place in different orders or very differently in nature. Kirito also tended to be a bit more of a smart ass in the initial volumes. Asuna had more depth… pretty much that can be said across the board.

Like everyone has said, Aincrad arc was great, Fairy Dance was poor overall.

Worthy of note is that what was Gun Gale Online, is now becoming SAO II: Phantom Bullet.

Here’s a partial list of the main volumes composing the SAO series.

5.1 Volume 1 – Aincrad

5.2 Volume 2 – Aincrad (SAO Side Stories)

5.3 Volume 3 – Fairy Dance

5.4 Volume 4 – Fairy Dance

5.5 Volume 5 – Phantom Bullet

5.6 Volume 6 – Phantom Bullet

5.7 Volume 7 – Mother’s Rosario (Full Text)

5.8 Volume 8 – Early and Late (Full Text)

5.9 Volume 9 – Alicization Beginning (Full Text)

5.10 Volume 10 – Alicization Running (Full Text)

5.11 Volume 11 – Alicization Turning (Full Text)

5.12 Volume 12 – Alicization Rising (Full Text)

5.13 Volume 13 – Alicization Dividing

5.14 Side Stories

5.14.1 Sword Art Online: Material Editions

On a note, I have all these as PDFs as Bakatsuki is stopping translation, due to the novels getting licensed by Yen Press. However Tap’s translation is ongoing, since it will take them a long time to catch up.

As you can see, Phantom slides in and probably will make for a smaller 13 ep series.

Phantom sees Kirito trying to find a place in life after the events of SAO (ie. a job) so he starts working / is taking up jobs from the government official that was in charge after the mass abductions during the Aincrad arc. He’s also the guy that cut the deal for Kirito to know where Asuna was in exchange for cooperation.

Essentially, someone is killing players in a very public execution style in a gun combat VRMMO, in a way that should be impossible. So Kirito is tasked with going in and investigating. With this he converts his player data and ends up with a long haired feminine character. While trying to get new weapons, he ends up with essentially a lightsaber and meets Shino, a female player who is one of the best in the world as a sniper gamer, but has extreme gun phobia in real life due to unfortunate events when she killed someone as a small child. For better or worse, Shino hooks up with Kirito to figure out the mystery as another killing happens in front of them. Eventually the case will spill back over into real life, as enemies of Kirito’s past come back to haunt them in the real world once more.

Personally, I wasn’t a huge fan of the Phantom Bullet arc, mainly cause we don’t see much Asuna, and the tsundere-like nature of Shino somewhat feels like we’re adding into a harem. But she’s added to the crew… Kirito is also either stupid lucky or just suffering from super man-itis by this point, and it shows when he’s in game. Out of game, the times he’s with Asuna are good… but it’s makes you wish that was more of the focus. Phantom Bullet sets up characters and events for later arcs, mainly Alicization, and some of the “if” type side stories.

Mother’s Rosario I think will end up being a movie, because it’s 89% Asuna, with everyone else playing 2nd fiddle. But it is home to some of the best writing, and the ending while tear inducing, is beautiful and “should” be how gamers really conduct themselves.

Either way, nice to see more coming out though I completely expected this would be the case.

The SAO fone, app also got released today too… though it doesn’t seem to completely work.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      I just noticed that SAO is now available on Netflix’s streaming service! I’ve never actually listened to the dub since it was released, so I think I’ll give it a shot soon! Everyone else, I recommend at least giving the show a shot if you have the opportunity :D
      ookamilord
      Participant
      i have seen sword art both sub and dub and i like both. i could never find a decent site that had the manga in order by that i mean one minute im on page one the next im at the end thats a total of 2 pages Tenchismile
      jgzinv
      Well SAO 2 ep.1 subs are out…

Having seen it they pretty much copied the first chapter largely verbatim, which isn’t a bad thing.

I’m surprised they stretched out the Asuna/Kirito bit for the whole episode, although in all reasonableness,

that is going to be the most you see of Asuna for the rest of the whole season if it follows the novels.

I did notice the subtle difference in art style between the shaded kinda grainy real world,

and colorful solids of the game world. Some of what was shown was a allusion to what is a main

plot item in Accel World later on as well, dealing with the imperial palace.

Next episode, should be all battle with Sinon and some real world showing of her situation.

We probably won’t see them together till Ep 3.

Overall, good start.

SnowQueen
      I actually gave up on Sword Art Online because I couldn’t get into it but this new one looks like it could be promising so I’m thinking of watching the first one again just so I could watch the new one. Looks more like my style. Tenchismile
      jgzinv
      You might try Accel World Queen… it’s set in the same world 20 years later

when the technology of virtual worlds has matured quite a bit.

Which considering your siggy now… you may have already…

The tone is a fair bit different as is the art style. Same author.

If that is better, then you might find it easier to dip back into SAO, as the ancestor of AW.

SnowQueen
      I’ve seen Accel World and I LOVED it. I watched Accel World first ( I know I was going in the wrong order of things but I still knew what was happening) which set my expectations probably to high for SAO so I plan to give SAO 1 another chance. It does seem really good and I feel like I can learn more about Accel World watching it but my issue with Sword Art was the lack of character development and how everything felt so rushed. I’m sure you heard that a million times though. ^_^;
      Almael
      Sword Art Onlne II is online now!

So far it’s just intro into the Gun World.

If you miss episode 3 this week you gonna regret it!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.