Tenchi And The 1990s

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Tenchi And The 1990s

• This topic is empty.
    Is it any coincidence that both OVAs 1 and 2 as well as Universe came out in the 1990s when you

consider the incredible amount of creativity of that decade animewise?

After all this is the same decade that gave us such classics as Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing,

Giant Robo(the very same year as Tenchi Moyu!), Escaflowne, Revolutionary Girl Utena and yes one of the greatest of all anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion.

In short the 1990s were a decade when anime was at its height and certainly Tenchi Moyu!

reflects this.

Note: I am not saying that other decades before or after the 1990s were less creative animewise,

I’m just pointing out the incredible coincidence that so many classics including the original

OVAs and Universe can be traced to this one single decade in the 20th century.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Replies
      Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

Note: I am not saying that other decades before or after the 1990s were less creative animewise,

I’m just pointing out the incredible coincidence that so many classics including the original

OVAs and Universe can be traced to this one single decade in the 20th century.

Well there is no doubt that Tenchi happening when it did contributed to its success.

The 1990’s for anime was the climax for the genre because everyone from small upstart companies to giants were still making money.

Part of it is generational as well, the crop of creators around that time were getting opportunities and getting spotlighted because companies wanted new, fresh ideas, case and point Pioneer and Tenchi Muyo!

Pioneer was looking for something big, and according to Hayashi, the planets aligned just right and that happened.

*From the April Issue of Animerica 1994

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/AIC%201_zpsvsoaq8p2.png" />

And on top of all of that, Pioneer pushed Tenchi as its flagship series (and rightfully so).

If you were to ask yourself, if Tenchi came out 10 years earlier, or 10 year later, would it have been what it was? I think all signs point to no.

Which is a very good point. It also raises the question if a show like Tenchi Moyu! could’ve

been able to compete against something like Urusie Yatsura that was one of the 1980s biggest

anime successes. I think probably not. Despite everything UY would’ve have made tough

competion for even a Tenchi Moyu!. Then looking afterwards you’ve got shows like

Ah!My Goddess, Love Hina and even Fruits Basket that would have given

Tenchi a hard time.

Technically the golden age of anime ended in 1988, when Akira’s theatrical release bombed. Afterwards, the industry was pretty lackluster, and the collapse of the Japanese economy in 1991 didn’t help either. Considering when Tenchi came out, it was certainly ahead of its time and has aged quite well.

Evangelion undeniably restored faith in the overall anime industry, but I suppose you could say Tenchi specifically restored faith in the OVA industry.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

SilverWhisper wrote:

Technically the golden age of anime ended in 1988, when Akira’s theatrical release bombed.

“Bombed” as in didn’t do well financially? Do you mean in the U.S. or elsewhere, where it had a very limited release? Because I do believe, my good sir, Akira did extraordinarily well at the box office in its homeland: practically an overnight success (one of the few that wasn’t a casualty of the aforementioned economic slump). But at any rate, all spot-on, astute points.

To the original question: is it coincidence? I think indeed not, ML. The approach that the folks controlling companies’ purse strings took with original content, listening to pitches, and frankly taking chances directly allowed creative works like Tenchi to happen. It’s scarier for a company to go out on a limb with faith in something new, and safer to adapt something already preexisting (look at U.S. and Japanese industries right now); the potential pitfalls are very real, but when producers actually put financial stock and faith in something that’s truly got a chance, the payoffs can be phenomenal. I wish companies would take some chances now and again, because things seem to have been pretty stagnant lately….

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

SilverWhisper wrote:

Technically the golden age of anime ended in 1988, when Akira’s theatrical release bombed.

“Bombed” as in didn’t do well financially? Do you mean in the U.S. or elsewhere, where it had a very limited release? Because I do believe, my good sir, Akira did extraordinarily well at the box office in its homeland: practically an overnight success (one of the few that wasn’t a casualty of the aforementioned economic slump). But at any rate, all spot-on, astute points.

Akira was a box office bomb at its original 1988 Japanese premiere. It was successful after some time released on home video.

Anonymous

SilverWhisper wrote:

but I suppose you could say Tenchi specifically restored faith in the OVA industry.

Absolutely, I’d even go so far as to say it saved the OVA market for a little while.

Lets take a look at the extremely well received (According to Anime Planet’s aggregate rating out of 5 total stars) anime that came out in 1992.

Sailor Moon (TV Series) 3.22 (from 32,468 user stats)

Yu Yu Hakusho (TV Series) 4.23 (from 28,880 user stats)

Tenchi Muyo: Ryo Ohki 1 (OVA) 4 (from 12,600 user stats)

Porco Rosso (Movie) 4.13 (from 11,243 user stats)

Tekkaman Blade (TV Series) 3.65 (from 1957 user stats)

Giant Robo (OVA) 3.98 (from 1019 user stats)

It’s extremely important to note, that Tenchi was not only not adapted from prior material (YuYu, SM, Robo, Blade), but also was not from an established company (Ghibli) AND was in the top 3 numbers wise, being an OVA also means it didn’t run on mainstream television.

susano
      The series Robotech was shown on American television during the early 1980’s. The series was schedule daily Monday and Friday between 9:00 am and 10:00 am. At first, t he series seem to meant for young children. Yet, I have noticed that the majority of persons watching the series were likely college students. Robotech was one of the First Wave anime series.

The series during the 1990’s were the Second Wave series. The second wave had introduced anime to more people, and proved that anime was not meant solely for children. Despite of what ADV had done to Sailor Moon’s first two seasons, the series was able to become one of the finest anime series during the 1990’s. By the year 2000, the anime market had included some of the worst anime series to come out of Japan.

Today, anime has gone mainstream in the United States. There is so many anime series to choose from. I have been able to find some quality anime series. Some of the series are Harem series. One of the quality harem series is To Love-Ru. If any of you were able to see some of To Love-Ru episodes, it seems to make Tenchi Muyo look like a children series.

The 1990’s seem to have been a Golden Age for anime. Two of the greatest series according to my view are Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop. As a fan of Tenchi Muyo, I will consider the series as a ground breaker as well of the top twenty anime series to come out during the 1990’s.

soawesome1 blush1 Kiyofacepalm1

Dagon123 wrote:

Lets take a look at the extremely well received (According to Anime Planet’s aggregate rating out of 5 total stars) anime that came out in 1992.

Sailor Moon (TV Series) 3.22 (from 32,468 user stats)

Yu Yu Hakusho (TV Series) 4.23 (from 28,880 user stats)

Tenchi Muyo: Ryo Ohki 1 (OVA) 4 (from 12,600 user stats)

Porco Rosso (Movie) 4.13 (from 11,243 user stats)

Tekkaman Blade (TV Series) 3.65 (from 1957 user stats)

Giant Robo (OVA) 3.98 (from 1019 user stats)

It’s extremely important to note, that Tenchi was not only not adapted from prior material (YuYu, SM, Robo, Blade), but also was not from an established company (Ghibli) AND was in the top 3 numbers wise, being an OVA also means it didn’t run on mainstream television.

Comparing post-1970s Miyazaki material with conventional anime is like comparing water to Coke, which effectively puts Tenchi even higher.

I usually trust Anime News Network the most for ratings, because they use multiple averages with algorithms to remove bias and the impact of up/downvoting. Regardless, it’s consistently rated on ANN, with OVA 2 and the specials also around the same. This means many people have rated each segment rather than only rating OVA 1 in regards to the entire series.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

SilverWhisper wrote:

Akira was a box office bomb at its original 1988 Japanese premiere.

Really? News to me, and contradictory to everything I’ve ever read. If you could please give me a link for citation, or recommend some literature (or recount your time in Japan circa 1988), I would be grateful. I find it personally gratifying to periodically update my cinematic knowledge (here would be great, but if need be PM would work too since I am admittedly getting way off topic).

Anyway, No. 4 on an aggregate rating? To quote Tenchi’s old man, “Well done, TENCHIIII!!”

Thanks everyone. This is turning into a really fascinating discussion with more than I hoped for when I started it.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      The 90’s seemed to be the Age of Anime’s: Awesome era. Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, 3×3 eyes, Trigun, Fist of the North Star.

Try and say it’s not.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Really? News to me, and contradictory to everything I’ve ever read. If you could please give me a link for citation, or recommend some literature (or recount your time in Japan circa 1988), I would be grateful. I find it personally gratifying to periodically update my cinematic knowledge (here would be great, but if need be PM would work too since I am admittedly getting way off topic).

From Kinema Junpo, a Japanese cinema magazine which also publishes movie industry data. It’s actually cited on Wikipedia.

The budget was 1.1 billion JPY, but only amassed 750 million at the box office. While it’s a shitload of money and makes whatever Char’s Counterattack grossed look like chump change, it still failed to break even. Using the loss estimation formula, (TWG / 2) – PB, you get 725,000,000 JPY, almost as much as it originally grossed! We’re talking about 1988 levels, too.

The 49 billion JPY number tossed around the internet is likely from post-theatrical earnings, and recently inflation-adjusted.

Ukinojo92 wrote:

The 90’s seemed to be the Age of Anime’s: Awesome era. Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, 3×3 eyes, Trigun, Fist of the North Star.

Try and say it’s not.

Umm… Fist of the North Star and the original manga of 3×3 Eyes started in the 80s.

I find it illogical to associate a specific decade with the best of something, because if somebody argues, it’s bound to end in a flame war. Like all decades, the 90s had some really shitty anime. We tend (or attempt) to forget these titles, and instead focus on the excellent ones referenced ITT.

LOL, maybe this thread should be moved to the “Other Anime” section.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

SilverWhisper wrote:

The budget was 1.1 billion JPY, but only amassed 750 million at the box office. While it’s a shitload of money and makes whatever Char’s Counterattack grossed look like chump change, it still failed to break even. Using the loss estimation formula, (TWG / 2) – PB, you get 725,000,000 JPY, almost as much as it originally grossed! We’re talking about 1988 levels, too.

The 49 billion JPY number tossed around the internet is likely from post-theatrical earnings, and recently inflation-adjusted.

Wow. I guess when looking at such a fixed point in time, and comparing ‘flop vs success’ based on total production vs. short-term gross, Akira‘s promptly accumulated hundreds of millions can legitimately be viewed as having ‘bombed’ much like a Fortune 500 CEO getting a multi-million dollar severance check after stepping down is him/her experiencing unemployment. Thank you for being so obliging.

SilverWhisper wrote:

LOL, maybe this thread should be moved to the “Other Anime” section.

Agreed, as long as any sidetracks steer back towards Tenchi in the 1990s it can stay here, but otherwise there are other avenues for interesting discussions such as these.

Nostalgia for the 1990s has been at something like legendary proportions since the beginning of anime fandom, particularly internationally and on the internet.

Part of this has to do with the fact that the internet only hit its mainstream penetration towards the mid to late 1990s when anime also was hitting and overtopping its popularity crest in Japan, and setting in motion the mainstream popularity of anime in the US and other countries abroad, heading into the year year 2000-2002.

SO because of this time/confluence of factors, I surmise that most anime fans in communities such as these were kids or teens during the 1990s, with a lesser group a bit older being fans since the 1980s and less even for the 70s and earlier. Thus our hype for series of the 90s is huge, and Tenchi was a key series bringing about hype abroad because of Pioneers marketing – which was substantial for the US – and as well as the show being aired on Toonami in 2000 which immediately placed it among the most recognizable anime outside of Japan.

In Japan anime popularity was rising into the late 70s and 80s and experiencing a phase change in the 90s when the economic collapse happened, and generational differences changed attitudes and feelings about anime heading into the 90s.

In some ways overseas fans missed the cultural cues embedded in animes released in Japan in the 90s , but seemingly their appeal echoed with overseas fans years and sometimes a decade + later because Japan was simply ahead of curve in its cultural development arc, due to something like a coincidence of economic and social trends playing out on an accelerated scale in Japan as compared to the general developed world (speaking mostly of economic deflation and demographic implosion.)

So in a bunch of ways, the 1990s -the 2000s was an unrepeatable trend that was a one-off time for anime (not to mention manga, and video games just as much so) which can never be repeated, in which a great deal of creativity and ingenuity had to be poured into new properties to try and squeeze profits out of a crunching economy, and overseas licensing was a major part of this effort – which increases today even as anime industry is frankly not very lucrative at all compared to the old days of 1980s (just look at simulcasts, overseas releases of manga picking up steam and being closer to their original than ever before, and this trend is reflected in the gaming world as well with smaller US publishers releasing smaller budget games from Japan at a regular pace, something once deemed impossible).

The way the industry is now is sort of like trying to squeeze blood from a stone, so to speak – desperation for profits at every turn, ingenuity falling by the wayside, and a move toward mobile devices, pay-to-play reading/watching subscriptions, f2p games with in-game purchases, etc. – all new business models to try and counter the loss of purchasing power on the part of consumers over time. And consider how pathetic BD/DVD sales generally are in Japan, and yet anime companies rely on these for profit. Videogames sell alot more #s wise but they also cost more to develop… and expectation levels for a *success* have fallen over the years.

Consumption tax isnt helping btw Abe.

Neither is Obamacare which is actually a tax on the residual wealth of Americans just at the time as their savings is decreasing and going towards food and gas which are taking up a greater portion of their income as before, during this recession/depression. Blood from a stone.

I also agree that ANN is a better metric for average ratings on anime, its where I always check if Im trying to gauge the general feeling on a series/title. Although its a bit sad since many series are lacking in total ratings counts but they tend to reflect the general *consensus* of reviews you can find around the net.

Akira did do poorly at the box office, but in a way its massive success at home video sales marked the beginning of the importance & viability of OAVs and video releases as a major profit center for anime.

Anonymous

VyseLegendaire wrote:

Neither is Obamacare which is actually a tax on the residual wealth of Americans just at the time as their savings is decreasing and going towards food and gas which are taking up a greater portion of their income as before, during this recession/depression. Blood from a stone.

Please do not bring politics into this discussion or onto this board.

SilverWhisper wrote:

Comparing post-1970s Miyazaki material with conventional anime is like comparing water to Coke, which effectively puts Tenchi even higher.

So basically everything Ghibli has ever done, including Nausicaa? lol I don’t see how that makes Tenchi look better

SilverWhisper wrote:

I usually trust Anime News Network the most for ratings, because they use multiple averages with algorithms to remove bias and the impact of up/downvoting. Regardless, it’s consistently rated on ANN, with OVA 2 and the specials also around the same. This means many people have rated each segment rather than only rating OVA 1 in regards to the entire series.

For shiggles, I decided to do the math and include ANN’s rating numbers, as well as Myanimelist’s, (also a point of note, for the Anime Planet ratings in my original post, I removed the ratings associated with the “Want to Watch” and the “Won’t Watch” category so that much like MAL and ANN, it was only based on user who had actually rated it and not just “seen”)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/Graphs_zpsr9sraine.png" />

It’s funny to note that the ratings and places associated with each anime almost doesn’t change, and in one case identical, so while you may use ANN, it is in no way better or more accurate overall than either of the other 2 sites, in fact really all it does is show that most people don’t use it.

I guess youre right about that, I always noticed that ANN had a low amount of scores for many series but an inordinately high amount for certain popular ones. But I do post my ratings on MyAnimeList for personal use. Its interesting to see pretty uniform ratings across the board.

As for my own post, I am sorry if you interpreted that comment as politics, but rather it is fact….I only brought it up to talk about the times. Feel free to ignore that fact if you so wish….

And for why does Miyazaki post-1970 make Tenchi better, maybe he is saying Miyazakis work became watered down? But a funny way to beat around the bush.

Anonymous

VyseLegendaire wrote:

As for my own post, I am sorry if you interpreted that comment as politics, but rather it is fact….I only brought it up to talk about the times. Feel free to ignore that fact if you so wish….

Regardless of whether or not I (or anyone else) agrees with your statement, you made your point before making that statement, so please do not talk about politics.

VyseLegendaire wrote:

I guess youre right about that, I always noticed that ANN had a low amount of scores for many series but an inordinately high amount for certain popular ones. But I do post my ratings on MyAnimeList for personal use. Its interesting to see pretty uniform ratings across the board.

ANN has a lot of different cool features, but they are either completely hidden, or they just aren’t updated regularly, and with places like MAL or Anime Planet, it’s hard to find time to compete.

But I think it demonstrates that Tenchi was a huge series, both in Japan and over here.

VyseLegendaire wrote:

So in a bunch of ways, the 1990s -the 2000s was an unrepeatable trend that was a one-off time for anime (not to mention manga, and video games just as much so) which can never be repeated, in which a great deal of creativity and ingenuity had to be poured into new properties to try and squeeze profits out of a crunching economy, and overseas licensing was a major part of this effort – which increases today even as anime industry is frankly not very lucrative at all compared to the old days of 1980s (just look at simulcasts, overseas releases of manga picking up steam and being closer to their original than ever before, and this trend is reflected in the gaming world as well with smaller US publishers releasing smaller budget games from Japan at a regular pace, something once deemed impossible).

The way the industry is now is sort of like trying to squeeze blood from a stone, so to speak – desperation for profits at every turn, ingenuity falling by the wayside, and a move toward mobile devices, pay-to-play reading/watching subscriptions, f2p games with in-game purchases, etc. – all new business models to try and counter the loss of purchasing power on the part of consumers over time. And consider how pathetic BD/DVD sales generally are in Japan, and yet anime companies rely on these for profit. Videogames sell alot more #s wise but they also cost more to develop… and expectation levels for a *success* have fallen over the years.

I don’t think so. When early licensors approached Japanese producers and distributors, they were constantly surprised about the overseas popularity and considerations for international releases of series both old (1970s and 1980s, except maybe Yamato and Macross) and new (1990s and early 2000s). Even people involved with the localization of anime were surprised about large fanbases. Of course, I’m referring to Petrea Burchard and all the fan mail she received from the very beginning.

I suppose anime releases have become like video games with more consistent global release dates, but otherwise can’t be compared.

Dagon123 wrote:

So basically everything Ghibli has ever done, including Nausicaa? lol I don’t see how that makes Tenchi look better

VyseLegendaire wrote:

And for why does Miyazaki post-1970 make Tenchi better, maybe he is saying Miyazakis work became watered down? But a funny way to beat around the bush.

Let’s say if Hamtaro was considered the number one best anime ever, with Cowboy Bebop coming in second. Would you consider Cowboy Bebop number one over a petty children’s show? I’m not saying Ghibli films are the latter, but they’re certainly different to conventional anime (shonen, seinen, and many shojo series). I don’t think you can place Tenchi in a standing with Porco Rosso, or Cowboy Bebop with Hamtaro. Each are in completely different leagues.

As for Cowboy Bebop and Tenchi… well I like Tenchi better, so sue me.

Dagon123 wrote:

For shiggles, I decided to do the math and include ANN’s rating numbers, as well as Myanimelist’s, (also a point of note, for the Anime Planet ratings in my original post, I removed the ratings associated with the “Want to Watch” and the “Won’t Watch” category so that much like MAL and ANN, it was only based on user who had actually rated it and not just “seen”)

VyseLegendaire wrote:

It’s funny to note that the ratings and places associated with each anime almost doesn’t change, and in one case identical, so while you may use ANN, it is in no way better or more accurate overall than either of the other 2 sites, in fact really all it does is show that most people don’t use it.

Quote:

ANN is one of the earliest western anime sites, but the rating system in the encyclopedia came later. As I said, it’s more in depth unlike MAL and AP, where anyone can just sign up and downvote something and automatically count.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.