Tenchi In Tokyo thread

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Tenchi In Tokyo thread

• This topic is empty.
    I’m just wondering because it seems like pretty much everyone despises her. You may have guessed it from my name, but Tenchi in Tokyo was my favorite series. I love all of them and just recently found the TenchiForum youtube channel and have been re-watching them. I thought maybe I liked her because I had only seen Tenchi in Tokyo as a kid and hadn’t seen the other series, but upon re-watching them I’ve realized that I saw Tenchi Universe as a kid and still wasn’t bothered by the changes in Tenchi in Tokyo. I really like the character of Sakuya. To me, she’s perfect for Tenchi because all she wants is to make him happy and she enjoys spending time with him not matter what the activity. She’s obsessed with him in her own way and she doesn’t let her feelings for Tenchi affect her like Ryoko or Ayeka. She’s kind and gentle, and although she’s just a shadow, I liked Ryoko’s hypothesis at the end of the series that if Sakuya was Yugi’s shadow, then Yugi may grow up and become Sakuya.

Believe me, I would like to agree with everyone else and hate Sakuya, since as one of her few fans it really sucks that if another Tenchi series were to ever be made there would be almost no chance that she would return because almost no one likes her, but I just can’t bring myself to dislike her. I see where people come from when they complain about adding her character to the series, but to me, she’s perfect.

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • Replies
      Anonymous
      First off, Welcome to the forum!

As far as Sakuya goes, short version, I don’t dislike her as much as I dislike Noike, lol I think her character had a lot of potential (much like Tenchi in Tokyo itself) but it failed to deliver.

Long version with quotes!

Tenchi in Tokyo wrote:

To me, she’s perfect for Tenchi because all she wants is to make him happy and she enjoys spending time with him not matter what the activity.

Now I’m not here to debate who’s best (nor will I condone it in the thread, lol) we all have a favorite girl and that’s what makes Tenchi fans, well, Tenchi fans, but the same could be said of any of the girls

Tenchi in Tokyo wrote:

She’s obsessed with him in her own way and she doesn’t let her feelings for Tenchi affect her like Ryoko or Ayeka.

Ah, but she does, multiple times throughout the series, she either feels depressed, or more often then not, whines dramatically whenever it can’t just be “her and Tenchi” so much so that it culminates, to me at least, to arguably one of the worst parts in the series (and no its not the kiss, lol)

Washu, who has been in her lab for a big chunk of the series at this point, Tenchi even knows this, comes to Tenchi and says (basically) “Look, stuff’s going down, we realize your having fun on vacation in Tokyo, but this supernatural being is rustling even our ancestors jimmies, and you’re the only one who can stop them” So what does Sakuya do? whines “Don’t Leave me” after having heard all that, to the point Tenchi doesn’t go, now for a character who needed all the help she could get to get over with the fans, pretty much just murdered her chances with that ultimate selfish act, and at this point, its not because she’s going to disappear, its not because she needs help, its black and white “Just because I don’t want to be alone” and Tenchi goes that route.

From the ancient past I’ve said this but, lol people don’t hate Sakuya because she’s a mary sue (she’s not) people hate her because she got everything for free that the other girls had been working entire series to even get a chance at. Ryoko is my favorite Tenchi girl, but even Aeka deserved it more then Sakuya, its not so much her fault as it is the writers. Tenchi In Tokyo had all the makings of a great Tenchi series, but instead of utilizing its strengths, which would have set it over just like Universe did, it added in a “tragic” character when we already had one (yugi), had her be a new love interest AND gave her Tenchi’s immediate affection and attention through the plot (which the writers loved to center around despite the backstory being about Yugi), that’s why I dislike Sakuya, lol.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      “Hate” is such a strong word. :(

I had bigger issues with the show. 😉

The only thing wrong with Sayuka is that in the end she turned out to be one huge lie. That said, she was better than any of the other TinT girls. SPOILER: Those stones Jugi wants are really crack rocks. Yeah, the TinT girls are all baseheads.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcNI26ILAR4[/BBvideo]

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      1st off: As Dagon said, welcome to the forum! 😉 Thank you for posting such an interesting question, and for being proud and supporting your ‘team’ even though it might not happen to be the popular choice.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/TenchiForum%20Pony%20Pics/scratch_team_sakuya_avatar.jpg" />

While, admittedly, as a Ryoko fan, my feelings of dislike for Sakuya were ‘strongest’ (I agree Nobuyuki, ‘hate’ is a strong word) during the infamous kiss scene, but I digress…

I don’t think it’s so much that I (or many Ryoko/Ayeka/etc. fans) would hate Sakuya for no reason or solely because she’s the new kid in town, I think the writing of the show, and the intentions of the writers were to set her up that way. Every other Tenchi series, it’s Ryoko vs. Ayeka, yet in TiT, I never really find myself rooting for Ryoko to get Tenchi over Ayeka, because in a similar way to Tenchi Forever (imo) I get the vibe of ‘all the regular cast vs. the intruder!’ (watching the special on our youtube channel recently confirmed my feelings on this dynamic for years) It’s definitely how alot of viewers (myself included) felt at first, and again, from my experience watching the show, my gut tells me that’s not by accident.

For many of the reasons Dagon previously stated (she gets Tenchi’s affections right away, Ryoko & the rest of the girls have been barking up that tree alot longer, they’ve ‘earned it’ so to speak–wow that felt wrong saying lol–& in so many scenarios, circumstances or even Sakuya herself sets herself up to make Tenchi choose ‘me, or all the other girls and your home and your family’ which makes her come across as selfish at times…of course, ‘selfish’ does not even begin to describe Ryoko in TiT 😆 I know, I know) the character of Sakuya seems set up from the very beginning to earn contempt from alot of the traditional fanbase, and it’s kind of left up to how people seem to feel about the series of TiT in general: either you love Sakuya, or you don’t.

(which btw, I do like Tenchi in Tokyo, and after ‘maturing’ as a fan so to speak, I don’t hate Sakuya)… 😉

shades of blue wrote:

SPOILER: Those stones Jugi wants are really crack rocks. Yeah, the TinT girls are all baseheads.

That explains alot!

EDIT: also, I guess in more direct response to your question, Tenchi in Tokyo, you are not alone! There are other Yugi/Sakuya fans in the fandom, it’s just like you said…they often seem to go unnoticed due to the sheer number of Ryoko fans (*raises hand* guilty!) or other main character(s) fan bases. Long-time member Yugi12 is definitely a hardcore Tenchi in Tokyo fan (though sadly I haven’t seen him on the forum in quite some time).

jgzinv
      Well to answer the original question….

This person doesn’t hate her – http://sakuya.hisdivineshadow.net/home.php

this person doesn’t – http://users.animanga.com/Sasami-chan/sakuya/index.html

and so forth.

I think it’s pretty much been laid down the generic reason why most don’t like her.

But I’ll add this…. I saw TiT long long ago, before I recently saw TMiL2, there’s a lot of parallels

between Haruna and Sakuya.

Really, we can also say one thing or another about Sakuya, but we’re really talking about is Yuki.

We’re discussing a shadow of another character… and we assume based on the ending of TiT that

Yuki will one day awaken and express the feelings of Sakuya, and those remained to be seen.

Almael
      Don’t hate her. She’s pretty much the only normal girl.

Actually, Noike is a copy and developed of her character in Tenchi Muyo Ryo ohki OVA3…as with many things from the alternatives being taken up by ova3.

jgzinv
      actually I’d say noike is a copy from the manga… read that… it’s pretty obvious similarities.
      I think DarkRoxima is a Sakuya fan, but don’t quote me on that.

I never really disliked Sakuya. What I didn’t like about TiT was the story of how everybody met Tenchi, and the fact that Ryoko ran off with one of Yugi’s goons Hotsuma. In fact, I found Sakuya’s character to be pretty creative, i. e. Yugi’s older counterpart created to keep Tenchi away from the girls, but as a result falls in love with him to the point that her younger true self doesn’t understand.

Anonymous

Almael wrote:

Don’t hate her. She’s pretty much the only normal girl.

If by normal you mean “Normal Japanese Schoolgirl” then yes, but other then that, she’s far from normal, just like all the other girls, lol

shades of blue wrote:

That said, she was better than any of the other TinT girls.

Please elaborate wooooplz This thread is about explaining why you do or don’t like Sakuya, not who’s better.

jgzinv
      Dagon is that smiley a voodoo thing, a glomp in progress, or a stalker…. lol I’m not sure which.
      It can certainly be said that all of the girls just want Tenchi to be happy, but to me, that was all the Sakuya ever wanted. Ryoko had previously wanted to be a successful space pirate, Ayeka wanted to be a good princess, etc. Sakuya’s obviously at a big advantage because she didn’t exist until Yugi decided to use her to get to Tenchi so Sakuya’s only purpose was to get to Tenchi, which I liked. I think this quote from Sakuya sums it up pretty well. “It’s funny, but sometimes I feel the only reason I exist in this world is to love you. I love you even more now, Tenchi.” As cheesy as it is, I like it.

She does let her feelings for Tenchi affect her, but I suppose I liked it because they affected her in a different way than the other girls. The other girls would hurt each other and do whatever it took to get to Tenchi, which, while understandable, frustrated me. Sakuya on the other hand, became depressed and saddened when things didn’t go her way with Tenchi and she didn’t react by getting angry at the other girls.

I sympathize with her selfish actions of wanting Tenchi to stay with her because she, unlike the other girls, doesn’t really have anything to live for other than Tenchi. Granted, she could probably go out and continue being a popular school girl without Tenchi, but in her mind all she cares about is being with him, so I understood her not wanting him to leave, because without him she was completely lost. I also like that near the end of the series, after Tenchi tells her that he loves her, she “releases” him and lets him leave the dream world that they are in because she knows that he has other things to do, which makes her appear a lot less selfish and shows that she wants what’s best for him.

I agree that they probably should’ve put more effort into showing more of Yugi’s backstory and making it a bigger part of the story, but the series being focused more on the romance between Tenchi and the girls (mainly Sakuya) didn’t really bother me. I’d been waiting for Tenchi to make a decision, and in Tenchi in Tokyo, he finally did.

Nobuyuki, it was definitely annoying that they made Mihoshi so stupid in TiT, although it did lead to some funny moments. It reminds me of Erin from The Office. Both characters started fully competent, but have since become complete idiots.

Sakuya just being a shadow really sucked, but it didn’t bother me as much because she’s part of Yugi and hopefully, Yugi will eventually become her, or at least more like her.

I can understand why people are upset that she got Tenchi’s affection so fast, but for me, that just made me think that if she was able to get Tenchi’s affection so quickly when he had plenty of other girls that had been vying for his affection for who knows how long, then she must be a pretty good match for him.

Sorry if this is a bit long. I tried to address everything I could. I don’t expect people to all of a sudden agree with me, but this is just a more elaborate explanation of my reasoning. For the record, I don’t dislike the other Tenchi girls. Sakuya is just my favorite.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Hello Tenchi in Tokyo! I’m really glad that you are cool enough to come right out and share your thoughts and opinions with us, I really like that! I just want to say that I certainly don’t hate TiT, far from it in fact! I found it hard to swallow the differences in animation and presentation at first, and I thought it was a bit more goofballish with its humor, but I thought the overall story was very solid. There are a lot of little moments hidden like gems throughout that series that many fans don’t appreciate because of the larger “problems” with the show. As for the great Sakuya debate, I might as well take this opportunity to go on record with my opinions. I absolutely do not hate Sakuya. I think that I would have liked her a lot more if we had gotten to see more of her personality, rather than just see her on the surface and then be told that she was only a shadow (thats a really bad copoutI think, cause a shadow can definitely have a good character!). I found that I liked her the most the few times that we see her get angry. She gets red in the face and you can just see that she’ really not happy about something, and she’ll just sit there and stew without blowing up, I think it was very amusing to see. I always look on the positive side of things, and I feel that there is enough positive things about Sakuya that I can certainly understand how you feel about her. Anyway, welcome to the forum, and thanks so much for starting up this great conversation! I look forward to hearing from you more!
      I haven’t seen Tenchi in Tokyo so I have no stance on Sakuya one way or another.Though being the Aeka fanboy that I am I always perfer Tenchi end up with her.
      DarkRoxima
      I am a big Sakuya fan, but I agree with some people disliking her and/or Tenchi in Tokyo. It’s just like SilverWhisper said. Everyone meets at the same time, Tenchi is the guardian of Earth, Sakuya is a Mary Sue, etc. I just wished the creators made a better job. Or at least reboot it and start from scratch. isawitplz
      Yugi12
      I don’t hate Sakuya. She’s not my favorite Tenchi girl, but I certainty don’t hate her.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Long-time member Yugi12 is definitely a hardcore Tenchi in Tokyo fan (though sadly I haven’t seen him on the forum in quite some time).

Well I’m back now. I didn’t mean to be gone so long. Just been busy with real life.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Yugi12 wrote:

Well I’m back now. I didn’t mean to be gone so long. Just been busy with real life.

iloveitmoreplz

Hi Yugi12! Glad to hear from you, I understand about real life, don’t feel obligated to be on more if you have a full schedule. I’m just happy to know you’re still around and will hopefully stop by every now and then 😉

Dagon123 wrote:

Please elaborate wooooplz This thread is about explaining why you do or don’t like Sakuya, not who’s better.

Actually it’s an opinion thread and should not be confused for a shipper thread. That said, in my opinion, she was the best girl in Tokyo. However, she was flawed because she was really just a piece of Yugi. Which insistently Sayuka/Yugi is just a rehash of Daughter of Darkness’ Mayuka/Yuzuha, with a backstory similar to OVA Ryoko and less implied incest. So do I have anything against Sayuka? Clearly not. Thou she is far from my favorite Tenchi girl simply because I did not enjoy Tokyo. Character assassinate an entire cast and there are bound to be a number of displeased people.

Kiyoka
      Dagon put it pretty well why people like Sakuya. That’s also my reason. She got Tenchi just like that, no backstory, no lengthy episodes to gradually ease into a relationship. It was so fast it was ridiculous. That’s what most fans feel like; cheated!

I do not like her for that reason.

In other words she came out of left field with no discernible reason why Tenchi should even give her the time of day,let alone go for her.It’s kinda like Archie going for Cherry and ignoring Betty and Veronica.
      Kiyoka
      How was Sakuya recieved in Japan? ANy idea?
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

It’s kinda like Archie going for Cherry and ignoring Betty and Veronica.

Cheryl.

Cherry’s from a completely different comic line. 😆

Kiyami
      Participant
      none
      While Sakuya wasn’t my favourite character, I have thoughts similar to some of the other posters here; Mainly that I feel Tenchi shouldn’t choose a girl, especially a random new girl. I just didn’t find her like-able to me, but I do have this sweet cel.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i410/kitteascone/Tenchi%20Muyo/e347c528.jpg" />

See? I don’t hate her (I paid $10 for that).

jgzinv
      Yes I want to devour her soul after I boil it in the cries of a thousand

dead worlds, and then bake in the tears of a million orphans.

imdarkplz

Nah just kidding… figured I’d lighten up the room.

iloveitmoreplz

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I’ve gotten a better understanding of why Sakuya is not a favorite of many Tenchi fans. I don’t really know how she was received in Japan, but I’d guess it was probably about the same as in the U.S.
      Hello again peeps! Been a bit of a long while since I’ve actually posted anything around these parts, in fact I remember the board looking quite a bit different. The media hotspot factor seems to have been diminished because of certain industry, but the community feels as strong as ever still, which I like a lot.

Now, as to the topic at hand. As a fan of Sakuya, I have to admit there was A LOT of character reinterpretation involved with Tenchi and the girls in Tokyo as compared to the first two OVA sets and Universe, both for laughter’s sake and to try to make Tenchi’s attraction to Sakuya not seem so out of left field. This failed in the eyes of many because, yes, everyone else was different in a way that helped her chances. I won’t get into the way Tenchi and the girls’ relationship had deteriorated in Tokyo‘s continuity even before the series had started. I will say that it was a nice touch making all of this turn out to be plot-relevant, though, with the family reconnecting in the end.

Sakuya herself, though, I once again stress that I liked. She was the normal girl, the calm in the sea of chaos, among Tenchi’s suitors, and I think that, being a simple man at heart, Tenchi gravitating to her for this isn’t necessarily part of the problem. This is not to say that she wasn’t also crazy about him, crazy in general, or supernatural; it was just all in a different, less in-your-face way than with the girls in the house, to the point it took near the end of the series for him to really even see it. Basically, she was doing it right when everybody else was just clashing. And her selfless sacrifice when she could’ve just kept him forever in that cherry blossom dream world proves that at the end of the day, she cared more about Tenchi himself than about winning him as a prize — which, while I will say this also applied to the other girls, they did struggle to show it at times.

The OVA continuity is destined to end in a harem marriage where Tenchi becomes the God-king of Jurai and everybody’s married to everybody. But a real good question would be, what if the main characters’ personalities in Tokyo were more like the OVA or even Universe, would Sakuya have had a chance then? Personally, I say yes. She most likely wouldn’t have “won” early on, per se, but she definitely would’ve still had among the better chances because of that different quality she possesses. I also find it just as likely if not more that she would’ve blended into the family somewhat as well instead of coming across as “the intruder” the entire time. Might just be wishful thinking on my part, though.

Speaking of thinking on my part, though, this leads me to a good question we could get into on this thread. How likely do you all think it is that Sakuya would’ve either taken first place in Tenchi’s heart for at least a short while or been accepted into the family if she was in the original series, Universe, and/or if Shin/Tokyo was more like either or both of those series?

Couple fun notes:

• To the Cherry/Cheryl bit. The similarity between “Sakuya” and “Sakura” is almost right there with the similarity between “Cheryl” and “Cherry”. Upon thinking about it for a second I’m totally convinced this may have been on purpose.

• To the “Sakuya felt like Haruna” bit. Knowing that Sakuya came first (both to my eyes and to the actual order of publishing), I identify it more as Haruna being a composite of Yugi, Sakuya, and Yuzuha from Midsummer’s Eve/The Daughter of Darkness.
    I think if she had been from the original OVAs or at least from Universe,that Sakuya would have been more likely to have been accepted.Perhaps if she weren’t such a normal human girl and like Tenchi had some

secret connection to either the Royal or one of the noble houses of Jurai it wouldn’t be such a big deal.

But the fact is she is normal and compared to the other girls that means a bit bland.Not dissing on her,just

stating what seems to be obvious.

Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

I think if she had been from the original OVAs or at least from Universe,that Sakuya would have been more likely to have been accepted.

See that’s not really why Sakuya wasn’t accepted, Being from the OVA doesn’t give you a free pass, Noike was also from the OVA, but she was also largely dismissed for many of the same reasons (although Noike’s problem is she is the epitome of the Mary Sue character, Sakuya is a tragic character in a show that already has a tragic character with a better back story) Like I’ve stated too many times to count, I don’t hate Sakuya or Tokyo, in fact it had all the potential in the world to be the next best in line.

Sakuya being the “normal” girl to parallel Tenchi’s normality is something many have wondered why there WASN’T a “normal” girl before like her, but in this instance, we the viewers and Tenchi himself learn that “You don’t know what you got, till it’s gone”

wwwwhhhhoooo
    none
    I agree with Dagon for the most part on this one–it’s not because she’s from a spinoff that she’s not my fav character–but I do see your point Primo: the girls were very different (at least, their negative attributes were exaggerated) in Tokyo because: 1) reason for Tenchi to want to get out of the house 2) try and garner a bit of sympathy for Sakuya, & 3) as you mentioned, as a plant for a wonderful payoff in the plot at the end. Given this, it’s an interesting ‘what if’ (which we do have a thread for now, if this keeps going on in a direction too far off from discussion about Sakuya’s appeal or lack of) to consider the character Sakuya in a setting such as, say Universe (or ova).

My personal opinion (using universe as example, due to Kiyone being present): if she were present, we would still have people against her or for her, but perhaps to a lesser degree. First of all, (Ryoko forgive me) Tenchi’s attraction to her in Tokyo is apparent; it’s there, whether anybody likes it or not. However, I feel this was enhanced because the planet’s aligned so to speak: the familiar cast is portrayed right from the get go as being excessively selfish, needy, possessive, rude, etc. (for reasons we’ve already touched on). If we’re dealing with Universe/ova girls, this factor would lessen to considerable degree, and Tenchi would likely (imo) have a bit more neutral stance towards Sakuya (as he does with Ayeka and Ryoko, he just can’t seem to choose one…thus ‘Tenchi Solution’ especially if we’re dealing with ova realm).

Secondly (yet the primary reason behind my theory of her still retaining disdain from some and admiration from others) I don’t think she’s disliked because she’s ‘normal’ (though that may be a factor from some). It’s not because she can’t fly, or make force-fields, or is an alien/gp officer: it’s because she’s competition! Not to say that Kiyone/Tenchi pairing (obviously Universe Kiyone) wouldn’t be cute, but in reality in the series we just don’t see them really having a romantic interest in each other (even though they’re both shy/serious type, we see–in main series–no effort on Kiyone’s part, nor anything hinted at to suggest otherwise). Thus, hardcore Ryoko/Ayeka fans have no problem with Kiyone’s presence; same goes for Universe Mihoshi (she expresses romantic intent in ova, but she doesn’t really assert herself as competition, and the few times we do see it hinted at, it’s clear it ticks off Ryoko and Ayeka); same goes for Universe Washu (Washu is competition in ova, but…come on, it’s Washu! No one can hate her).

As we’re all aware, in Tenchi fandom in general, (perfectly paralleling the series) who is predominantly behind the most intensive debates on ‘who gets Tenchi?’ or getting in youtube comment spats or trolling elsewhere (if it occurs at all)? It’s either Ryoko or Ayeka fans! If Sakuya was ‘as is’ in Universe/ova, we would have a dynamic of a fighting threesome instead of the classic dueling duo, because unlike the rest of the cast, her desire for Tenchi seems almost as strong as –if not equal to–Ryoko’s or Ayeka’s, and if you’re ‘Team Ryoko’ or ‘Team Ayeka’ or ‘Team [not Sakuya]’ well, ‘we can’t have that now, can we?’

:fight: <-- picture that, but add in Sakuya 😆

As it is now, she (and similar figures like Haruna) is unfortunately a scapegoat, and bashing her has become common ground for Ryoko and Ayeka fans (the enemy of my enemy is my friend…cue ‘Night at the Carnival’ comparison) and it may likely remain this way, for some, for eternity; but with places like here where we can have intelligent, reasonable criticism and analyzing of characters such as this one, that may change someday.

Dagon123 wrote:

See that’s not really why Sakuya wasn’t accepted, Being from the OVA doesn’t give you a free pass, Noike was also from the OVA, but she was also largely dismissed for many of the same reasons (although Noike’s problem is she is the epitome of the Mary Sue character, Sakuya is a tragic character in a show that already has a tragic character with a better back story)

Would like to connect the part about Sakuya being a tragic character back to the plot payoff which wwwwhhhhoooo and I both mention in our previous posts (one of wwwwhhhhoooom [get it? 😉] I’ll get on a little further down), by pointing out that Sakuya turns out to be a direct byproduct of that first tragic character, thus I don’t consider it a handicap that she herself is tragic as well.

Noike, on the other hand…yeah, she plays out like a composite of Kiyone (cop girl, responsible, partner of Mihoshi) and Sakuya (extra wheel sent in to attach to Tenchi for ulterior motives, gains Tenchi’s favor quickly), with her orders from Seto serving as the gateway to bring Jurai’s politics to the forefront. Not a pretty combination there, at least in my opinion.

Dagon123 wrote:

Like I’ve stated too many times to count, I don’t hate Sakuya or Tokyo, in fact it had all the potential in the world to be the next best in line.

Sakuya being the “normal” girl to parallel Tenchi’s normality is something many have wondered why there WASN’T a “normal” girl before like her, but in this instance, we the viewers and Tenchi himself learn that “You don’t know what you got, till it’s gone”

Like we’ve covered in the past, you and I, there were definitely pieces to the Tenchi in Tokyo concept as well as Sakuya being the “tomato in the mirror” that in all likelihood could’ve been pulled off better. The “you don’t know what you got, till it’s gone” thing, though, definitely seemed to be the moral of the story. In a way, fate may have been guiding Sakuya’s steps even more than Yugi was. In the long run, miss Kumashiro seems to have been predestined to help Tenchi and the girls appreciate each other more, as well as show him and Yugi herself that behind the crazy kid trying to freeze the world was a lonely and tortured soul not too unlike those Tenchi’s already been housing.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

I agree with Dagon for the most part on this one–it’s not because she’s from a spinoff that she’s not my fav character–but I do see your point Primo: the girls were very different (at least, their negative attributes were exaggerated) in Tokyo because: 1) reason for Tenchi to want to get out of the house 2) try and garner a bit of sympathy for Sakuya, & 3) as you mentioned, as a plant for a wonderful payoff in the plot at the end. Given this, it’s an interesting ‘what if’ (which we do have a thread for now, if this keeps going on in a direction too far off from discussion about Sakuya’s appeal or lack of) to consider the character Sakuya in a setting such as, say Universe (or ova).

Just looked around upon reading that and saw the ‘what if’ thread. Guess this is not exactly a great opportunity to put emphasis on what I initially meant by “accepted into the family”.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

My personal opinion (using universe as example, due to Kiyone being present): if she were present, we would still have people against her or for her, but perhaps to a lesser degree. First of all, (Ryoko forgive me) Tenchi’s attraction to her in Tokyo is apparent; it’s there, whether anybody likes it or not. However, I feel this was enhanced because the planet’s aligned so to speak: the familiar cast is portrayed right from the get go as being excessively selfish, needy, possessive, rude, etc. (for reasons we’ve already touched on). If we’re dealing with Universe/ova girls, this factor would lessen to considerable degree, and Tenchi would likely (imo) have a bit more neutral stance towards Sakuya (as he does with Ayeka and Ryoko, he just can’t seem to choose one…thus ‘Tenchi Solution’ especially if we’re dealing with ova realm).

Yeah, this is probably the most likely thing. OVA, she’s part of the Tenchi Solution for sure. Universe, it does remain more of a competition, and while I still think Sakuya could gain the highest of Tenchi’s favor for a cup of coffee, it wouldn’t stick for much longer than that. And as we’ve both extensively covered the advantage she has over the others in Tokyo, there’s no need to keep on about that.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Secondly (yet the primary reason behind my theory of her still retaining disdain from some and admiration from others) I don’t think she’s disliked because she’s ‘normal’ (though that may be a factor from some). It’s not because she can’t fly, or make force-fields, or is an alien/gp officer: it’s because she’s competition! Not to say that Kiyone/Tenchi pairing (obviously Universe Kiyone) wouldn’t be cute, but in reality in the series we just don’t see them really having a romantic interest in each other (even though they’re both shy/serious type, we see–in main series–no effort on Kiyone’s part, nor anything hinted at to suggest otherwise). Thus, hardcore Ryoko/Ayeka fans have no problem with Kiyone’s presence; same goes for Universe Mihoshi (she expresses romantic intent in ova, but she doesn’t really assert herself as competition, and the few times we do see it hinted at, it’s clear it ticks off Ryoko and Ayeka); same goes for Universe Washu (Washu is competition in ova, but…come on, it’s Washu! No one can hate her).

As we’re all aware, in Tenchi fandom in general, (perfectly paralleling the series) who is predominantly behind the most intensive debates on ‘who gets Tenchi?’ or getting in youtube comment spats or trolling elsewhere (if it occurs at all)? It’s either Ryoko or Ayeka fans! If Sakuya was ‘as is’ in Universe/ova, we would have a dynamic of a fighting threesome instead of the classic dueling duo, because unlike the rest of the cast, her desire for Tenchi seems almost as strong as –if not equal to–Ryoko’s or Ayeka’s, and if you’re ‘Team Ryoko’ or ‘Team Ayeka’ or ‘Team [not Sakuya]’ well, ‘we can’t have that now, can we?’

:fight: <-- picture that, but add in Sakuya 😆

As it is now, she (and similar figures like Haruna) is unfortunately a scapegoat, and bashing her has become common ground for Ryoko and Ayeka fans (the enemy of my enemy is my friend…cue ‘Night at the Carnival’ comparison) and it may likely remain this way, for some, for eternity; but with places like here where we can have intelligent, reasonable criticism and analyzing of characters such as this one, that may change someday.

Going the triple threat route would be pretty fun to see. I’d be especially curious as to how Sakuya being passive-aggressive or even just plain passive would impact THE BATTLE FOR TENCHI. The complications and painful lessons to be heaped upon all three ladies from such a scenario, I can only say “wow”.

Of course, this would only worsen the “die for our ship” dynamic. I almost feel stupid for underestimating that at the moment, and if I’d forgotten about it altogether and this wasn’t the brilliant TenchiForum that it is I’d be setting myself up for a walk of shame somehow. And as you’ve so astutely pointed all of this out, I look around and I’m glad that this is still a place where even after disappearing a long while, I can come back in the building at least for now and have this kind of conversation with no fear of butthurt.

Last but not least…

gotta go back to something.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

(Washu is competition in ova, but…come on, it’s Washu! No one can hate her)

Nope! Not even a tough-as-nails independent android could! Thus is the charm of the incredible little Washu!

:washu:

Anonymous

Primo.Lucani.17 wrote:

by pointing out that Sakuya turns out to be a direct byproduct of that first tragic character, thus I don’t consider it a handicap that she herself is tragic as well.

It can work, absolutely, but in this case I think it hindered both characters (and somewhere I know I wrote this down…ha here we go)

“Basically, when we look at Tenchi in Tokyo, we saw that it was going to be the direct sequel to Tenchi Universe (Showed the Knights and Nagi in the promo art) the setting was “2 years” after they had met, had Kiyone etc, so during early writing (and possibly very early production) that’s how it was going to be, then, I don’t know if it was the writers, the director, AIC upper suits, somebody decided to change it’s focus from Yugi and what we’d expect from a Tenchi series to Sakuya the “Normal Japanese school girl”, and to make this new girl essentially “win” Tenchi by default and then phone-in Yugi later. So the first half of the series or so is almost completely dedicated to Sakuya, and the antics of the girls falling behind her, this school romance plot, and slapstick, humor then right after Yugi attacks the house, we’re shifted towards the plot we were shown when Aeka and Ryoko found the Jurai ship, and a more OVA esque feel, which was probably the original, at which point Sakuya is completely sidelined with no real “point”, (emphasizing the change in plot), and the biggest contender to this is the “new” origin story for Tokyo, which instead of being shown in the beginning is shown considerably late in the series, (for me at least) solidifying that THAT was not the original intention.”

My entire point with that was, Sakuya could have worked if it was just Sakuya or if Sakuya WASN’T independent of Yugi, Yugi would have worked if it was just Yugi, but they were products of 2 radically different plots, that the writers wove together to try and get over with the fans at large, but instead of focusing on what DID make it work, they instead focused on the negatives too highly, couple that with a distinct art change, and there was just no way that the hordes of fans behind the prior 6 girls were going to budge or be polite about it, lol

Now of course Tenchi In Tokyo has a dedicated following, there was no way it wasn’t going to, but I personally feel that having them both in took the spotlight from the other.

I did hear about the fact that Tokyo was originally supposed to be a sequel to Universe. In fact, I wanted to bring it up, but I wasn’t sure exactly where it would fit, nor was I able to figure out how going that way possibly would’ve affected how the plot or Sakuya and Yugi’s characters were carried out. You definitely covered that pretty well, though, I think. That’s another possibility that may have just sprung from here, as well as, surprisingly, something that our previous debate on the subject elsewhere didn’t cover.

Now that I have an actual foundation to work with thanks to your summation, I think I can try and figure things out a little there. Yugi did seem to just do a lot of overseeing events and hatching minor mischief early on. I think there was only one or two episodes before the final stretch where she or her main trio of servants actually did anything truly threatening to the Masaki clan. This seems like something that would pretty likely change, as well as Sakuya possibly having more done with her than just being meant to be the crazy cool girlfriend. But, not going too much farther into that because that’s for the ‘what if’ thread is for, and while I can tell that sooner or later this discussion is gonna end up being taken there as well, I’d like to stay within the intended discussion a little.

For what it’s worth, the eventual plot reconstruction was done in a way that made sense at least in my eyes. If we’re talking about two years after they all met, then the old adage of “familiarity breeds contempt” could certainly apply. Keeping in mind the chaotic mix of all these people, the individual traits and ambitions (either in abundance or lack thereof) of each girl, the bond between the house members could be hanging on by a thread for all we know. That thread ostensibly being Tenchi, and even he’s not fully into it anymore at the time.

Him announcing his intent to go to Tokyo would probably be the final straw that broke the camel’s back and caused the girls to flat-out stop giving a crap as much anymore, especially Ryoko and Ayeka with how crazy they are over him. From there, Yugi just had to bring out Sakuya to get Tenchi’s attention, unleash her little bits of mischief here and there, watch the bonds unravel, and pick her spots for opportunity to strike. But Sakuya’s genuine love for Tenchi, combined with Hotsuma’s dishonesty with Ryoko, Kiyone’s final choice of friends over the job, and the fact that Washu was researching the truth all along, brought everything back full circle. That was the in-story impression I got of things, and, while there was very real room for improvement, it generally worked.

I think part of Tokyo‘s appeal in the end is its capability for future development. With the family just sorted together again but still not quite as sane as in the OVA, and the possibility of Yugi either growing into or bringing back Sakuya once she wakes up from her seal, it feels like a story that’s waiting for a sequel more than the OVA or Universe are.

susano
    I did like Sayuka from Tenchi in Tokyo. What I didn’t like was the way which Sayuka being one of Yugi’s shadows. She is an independent character who represented the main rival of Ayeka and Ryoko for Tenchi’s affections. If Sayuka had appeared in the Ryo-Ohki OVA series, she will be able to drive Ryoko and Ayeka crazy.
    Anonymous

Primo.Lucani.17 wrote:

Him announcing his intent to go to Tokyo would probably be the final straw that broke the camel’s back and caused the girls to flat-out stop giving a crap as much anymore, especially Ryoko and Ayeka with how crazy they are over him. From there, Yugi just had to bring out Sakuya to get Tenchi’s attention, unleash her little bits of mischief here and there, watch the bonds unravel, and pick her spots for opportunity to strike. But Sakuya’s genuine love for Tenchi, combined with Hotsuma’s dishonesty with Ryoko, Kiyone’s final choice of friends over the job, and the fact that Washu was researching the truth all along, brought everything back full circle. That was the in-story impression I got of things, and, while there was very real room for improvement, it generally worked.

Oh I agree they made it work, it made sense in the end and they brought us back to the familiarity we’ve come to know from sitting down and watching a Tenchi series, I was merely stating from an analytical angle why I think it could have been better and what caused it’s shortfalls, the duo-plot scenario being the largest.

Universe and Tokyo both succeeded in the end at doing the classic “Until Next Time” ending but still giving us a good deal of closure, that much I will heartily agree with desufaceplz

Yugi12

Primo.Lucani.17 wrote:

I think part of Tokyo‘s appeal in the end is its capability for future development. With the family just sorted together again but still not quite as sane as in the OVA, and the possibility of Yugi either growing into or bringing back Sakuya once she wakes up from her seal, it feels like a story that’s waiting for a sequel more than the OVA or Universe are.

I agree. Tenchi in Tokyo‘s ending really feels like it was designed for future stories somewhere down the road. Giving how the show ends with Yugi sleeping I’ve always wondered if there had been plans at one time to make a TIT movie.

Ok,should I order TiT now or wait until later? I want to know if I ought to get the singles right away or wait until Funi releases it as a boxset of some type.What say ye all?
    chucklocker
    Participant
    none
    Sorry for the necropost, but I just wanted to let the people here know that on Saturday Oct. 20 (That’s THIS SATURDAY!) at 3:00pm eastern time, we will be recording the next Tenchicast which will be about Tenchi in Tokyo! There were some great topics and points brought up in this thread by people who clearly know their stuff and are passionate about this series, and I just wanted to let everyone know that you are all welcomed, nay, encouraged to take this opportunity to join in a conversation that will be heard throughout the larger fandom! If anyone needs info about how to go about joining the cast feel free to ask one of the mods or support staff.
    wwwwhhhhoooo
    none

chucklocker wrote:

Sorry for the necropost, but I just wanted to let the people here know that on Saturday Oct. 20 (That’s THIS SATURDAY!) at 3:00pm eastern time, we will be recording the next Tenchicast which will be about Tenchi in Tokyo! There were some great topics and points brought up in this thread by people who clearly know their stuff and are passionate about this series, and I just wanted to let everyone know that you are all welcomed, nay, encouraged to take this opportunity to join in a conversation that will be heard throughout the larger fandom! If anyone needs info about how to go about joining the cast feel free to ask one of the mods or support staff.

*BUMP* (ik how dare he?!) wthamiseeingplz

Good point chuck

Thorn
    I’m a little tardy to the party on this one!

Anyway, here goes:

I never really hated Sakuya, per se. Like any other Ryoko and/or Ayeka fan out there, I’ve simply been annoyed at the fact that they’ve been trying to win his affection for a while and here comes this mousy girl and she gets it so easily. I can understand why and how she managed that, but it’s no less annoying. Anywho; overall, I’d say that I do feel sympathy for the character.

Anonymous
    [BBvideo 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_7fm__a7EM[/BBvideo]

The Tenchi In Tokyo Omake Special is in English! (If you want more stylized subs you can find them under the article shortly)

https://tenchiforum.com/tenchi-in-tokyo-omake-special-in-english-for-the-first-time-ever/

Nobuyuki
    Participant
    No wonder he ran away to Tokyo in the first place.
    Nil Admirari
    none
    That’s one way of getting your man! iloveit1
    Neoghoster Akira
    Participant
    I am going to analyse that question about Sakuya too.

I have heard that Tenchi is among the characters in anime that protect a concept of integrity and I must agree. I perceive his attraction towards Sakuya as something authentic because he will always recognize the good features of people even if the good point belongs to a bad person or enemy and there is something that shines inside Sakuya as well that connects with an important part of Tenchi’s nature (aside Yugi’s magic).

Having said that I can see that both Aeka and Ryoko dreamed about taking Tenchi away from his simple life he always loved and treasured. For Ryoko she would love to travel the galaxy with a “crime partner”… Whereas Aeka dreams of transforming him into some sort of noble husband. In both cases (Ryoko and Aeka) I truly think that Tenchi knows they have those desires out of love. He aknowledges the girls strong qualities and love them for who they are.

In the end I think that Tenchi took a lemon (a dangerous shadow) and transformed it (Sakuya) into a wonderful lemonade and honorable enough to deserve love (not only pity). I mean, it is like Sakuya becomes more and more human (alive) to a point that out of mercyfulness she should become real. And I think that is what is cool to me about her, that she is trying to be better, to improve when she could more easily choose to be like the other shadows of Yugi.

Although this kind of evolution is hardly accepted by the main girls however it is a feature that I see is shared by Aeka, Ryoko and Sakuya (at the same time).

Perhaps Tenchi noticed the good potential within Sakuya and channeled that “energy” for the best purpose. In this sense, Sakuya is a great success because Tenchi nature deals with taming wild girls to better, more gentle women.

I can’t help thinking that with proper treatment she would become one of Tenchi’s most loyal soldiers. So, Go Sakuya, be happy and I like you! And Go Ryoko, go grab Tenchi so that the other girls can have a life too… (Tenchi-Ryoko fan mode)

wwwwhhhhoooo
    none
    One of the more mature, well-thought-out opinions concerning Sakuya and Tokyo in general that I’ve read in quite some time. I also agree with you on most points, and because we’re all entitled to our opinions, I must disagree with one of them:

Neoghoster Akira wrote:

In this sense, Sakuya is a great success because Tenchi nature deals with taming wild girls to better, more gentle women.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/ryokonewgifhq2_zpspnvumnjk.gif" />

Ryoko’s a firecracker, a veritable force of nature. There’s no hope of “taming” her, and she wouldn’t be “better” any other way. badass1

Neoghoster Akira
    Participant

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

One of the more mature, well-thought-out opinions concerning Sakuya and Tokyo in general that I’ve read in quite some time. I also agree with you on most points, and because we’re all entitled to our opinions, I must disagree with one of them:

Neoghoster Akira wrote:

In this sense, Sakuya is a great success because Tenchi nature deals with taming wild girls to better, more gentle women.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/ryokonewgifhq2_zpspnvumnjk.gif" />

Ryoko’s a firecracker, a veritable force of nature. There’s no hope of “taming” her, and she wouldn’t be “better” any other way. badass1

Hi and thank you for the feedback!

Yep, I think I get what you mean for we are really looking at someone that is already amazing (about need to improve).

I guess Ryoko would be comparable to one of XMen female charachters, Storm. Those types of women store inside them a great amount of power and would carry along a bigger force of nature than, say, a poor common guy like Tenchi’s friend, Amagasaki kiyonesmile1 One would be a star (Ryoko) and the other would be a grain of sand (Tenchi’s friend, Amagasaki). They both would have influence (as a force) over nature but Ryoko has infinitely more direct authority over matter (needless to mention that she looks much better than Amagasaki). kiyonesmile1

Looking back at XMen movies and comparing to Tenchi’s part in the story it looks like the role of professor X (Xavier), as someone helping others to balance love with power while he too learns about things that he didn´t know.

I imagine that it is no wonder Sakuya felt a desire to change sides, because Tenchi’s power over a specific area of nature (women as a female part of the universe) seems capable of physically stealing solid chunks of power from entities that are less aware about it, like Yugi for instance. Which remembers me that Tenchi would be a dangerous guy to have around if we are with a girlfriend, he could penetrate our field of action without being noticed.

In other words, It is cool to think that Ryoko isn’t the kind of force of nature that only changes for bad, or a kind of person that doesn’t change at all. Fortunatley Tenchi appears to be capable of administrating those girls for their good, like you know, evoking from them only the best of their efforts instead of cruelty (Aeka, Ryoko and Sakuya all had great potential for that).

Truth be told I am inclined to think that Sakuya was lucky too. During the movie Daughter of Darkness Yuzuha symbolically represents the sort of energy that no matter what we do is always lost (space cannibalized her as negative energy). So unlike Yuzuha Sakuya got the chance of becoming more positive in the end (sparking a wave of rage inside Tenchi against Yugi in episode 25 after her last flashback).

http://s28.postimg.org/h9ndp7jst/saku_sc_091.jpg" />

The comparison of Tenchi with X-Men was interesting.Though I think Ryoko is better compared to

Rogue than Storm.The reason I say this is because like Rogue Ryoko hasn’t yet learned to control herself,she’s

still a wild card.Storm is more of a master of herself and her abilities.

Neoghoster Akira
    Participant
    ^^^^^

You got the idea. We too could pick another mutant like Rogue for an evolution approach. In a universe with tree godesses with human features (like the greek gods) we end up producing beings with non-pure personalities (like our world where it is rare to find someone with a pure profile), a convoluted mix”soup” of incomplete or potential desires like Ryoko (referring to the case of half-humans being foster of gods).

To the point of one wondering how hard youth must have been for Ryoko, Rogue and Storm, to learn and survive to the basics of their power. Specifically Ryoko who complains that even though Washu should have been responsible she didn’t raise her at all.

*Concerning the timeline and concept of the movies, there is an interesting detail that appears during the music score of Tenchi franchise which is one of the tracks (one of the most beautiful song of the album) from Tenchi Daughter of Darkness OST being named “Complications”. Which means that something that was created simple walking towards a higher order of complexity (from bad, ignorant and meaningless to someone good and important through some sort of sacrifice). For instance, Sakuya being born simple and dark, but changing orientation (future) and escaping her old fate (being stolen by stronger powers) to become something else and defying her evil master. In the movie Mayuka receives a second chance and we see it, but as for Sakuya, in the series, there are only clues that show that the part of energy that once belonged to Yugi (to build Sakuya) may have ran away (because of Tenchi) and could even be inhabiting some weird kind of plane promising to keep alive those happy memories from Mr. Masaki. (An enslaved form of energy that is capable of finding freedom? Or someone (a type of spirit) from another plane trapped by Yugi to serve her wishes? That is food for thought.)

Interesting idea,if a bit metaphysical.
    Neoghoster Akira
    Participant
    You got it right again. The show is so rich with religious reference concerning japanese spiritual heritage that Yugi atacks Shrines bringing apparently inanimate matter into life (actually from sleeping matter or dormant life/energy). And this way it is like Tenchi Muyo is saying that at their universe spirits already inhabit stones, trees, grains of sand… Probably due to the producers beliefs or we could say that at least for Tenchi Tokyo there is a cycle of soul migration from the lowest to the highest form following the asian spiritual tradition. Imagine that… I guess that in that case probably Sakuya would have to wait an eternity to go from stone to plant, from plant to animal, and from animal do person do reach minimum human level. sadface1

In Tenchi Muyo TV the periphery seems to be always wacthing.

I think that inanimate objects having spirits like people is basic tenet of Shintoism.Re-incarnation is more Buddhism.

I think the way it works is plants to lower animals to higher animals to human and then if you’re very good you

get to become a Boddhivasta.Which is an incarnation of the Buddha.

I might have gotten some of that wrong.

btw:Rumiko Takahashi’s manga series Rin-Neis a good example of Buddhist thought,with the wheel of reincarnation,etc.

• Viewing 49 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.