Tenchi Muyo! Ai dubbing translation.

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Tenchi Muyo! Ai dubbing translation.

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    There many jokes in Ai that only funny in Japanese but wouldn’t be in English. In the Petrea podcast I believe, it was said that the script went through a lot of changes and many of the jokes changed as well. In the eventuality of Ai being dubbed, what major jokes or dialogue would have to be changed in order to fit English dub. gendo1
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Replies
      SnowQueen
      Well they do this to many anime’s in general I believe because Japanese and American humor are quite different sometimes though I’m not sure what certain joke’s would be taken away I’m sure if the show got dubbed the context would stay the same but probably worded quite differently.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I believe the joke that Hana made in ep 22 would be changed differently, the subtitle note stated the Kanji for “anticipate” and “secret fear”. Also the parts with the use of “Onee-sama” and “Sensei” that involve Tenchi.
      Anonymous

Ukinojo92 wrote:

I believe the joke that Hana made in ep 22 would be changed differently, the subtitle note stated the Kanji for “anticipate” and “secret fear”. Also the parts with the use of “Onee-sama” and “Sensei” that involve Tenchi.

I think it depends on who gets it ultimately.

In the last decade, many companies have tried less to localize and to “appeal” more to the otaku demographic by trying to keep many Japanese phrases and jokes in the English dialogue and relying on translator notes or liner notes to explain later what significance it has.

Sensei will almost surely stay intact, Onee-Sama will depend on who gets it.

When it comes to jokes, I’ve always been of the mind to find the closest English or American equivalent and go with that, because a joke is a joke, and if you have to explain a joke, regardless of the language, it misses the whole point of what a joke is.

SnowQueen
      i think the “Onee-Sama” and “Sensei” statements would stay. Even in some dubs they keep “-Chan” and “-Kun” and other suffixes in the dialogue.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      A list of possible changes:

Ep 7 the kanji for Tenchi Muyo and This way up

Ep 14 possible change to Ryoko noble death and go to Heaven joke

Ep 39 “The Motherload” joke made by Yuki and Aoi

Maybe ” The Motherload” could be changed to “The Goods” in order to keep the joke the same.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      In ep 52 the title “Tenma’s Arrival” comes with a note and meaning. It could be left as is in the dub, however maybe they’ll have a option in the dub dvd for all the cultural references for the Okayama prefecture as is the show is for advertising.
      Anonymous

Ukinojo92 wrote:

In ep 52 the title “Tenma’s Arrival” comes with a note and meaning. It could be left as is in the dub, however maybe they’ll have a option in the dub dvd for all the cultural references for the Okayama prefecture as is the show is for advertising.

I think it would be cool if they did some extras on the DVD/Blu-ray explaining some of the Okayama places and legends that crop up.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Quote:

SnowQueen Wrote: i think the “Onee-Sama” and “Sensei” statements would stay. Even in some dubs they keep “-Chan” and “-Kun” and other suffixes in the dialogue.

A precedent El Hazard: The Wanderers episode 1 has proven with Makoto-chan

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Quote:

Dagon123 Wrote:

I think it would be cool if they did some extras on the DVD/Blu-ray explaining some of the Okayama places and legends that crop up.

I have missed the news on the dvd, it could be possible they will copy the same features they show on the jap dvd set when they release the dub, or though it entirely depends if they think the extra features are worth it.

Anonymous

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Quote:

Dagon123 Wrote:

I have missed the news on the dvd, it could be possible they will copy the same features they show on the jap dvd set when they release the dub, or though it entirely depends if they think the extra features are worth it.

Well if it’s Funimation then you won’t get any of the special features of the Japanese release, lol.

Negishi has talked about liner notes for the show, those would be interesting to have translated in english, even better would be if he did a commentary track talking about the show.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Quote:

Dagon123 Wrote:

Well if it’s Funimation then you won’t get any of the special features of the Japanese release, lol.

Negishi has talked about liner notes for the show, those would be interesting to have translated in english, even better would be if he did a commentary track talking about the show.

If the old English dub cast does come back, it would be awesome if they did behind the scenes video of their time with Tenchi Muyo!

I would call it “Back to the Gang” or since it’s Negishi directing, “The Carnival’s return” badass1

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I hope for a good voice cast if the old English cast can’t come back for any reason. Funimation has a roulette on whether the voice actors are good or not, sometimes they’re awesome and sometimes they’re not. A problem in some voice acting for animes are the actors are just reading the script and not putting the appropriate emotion during a scene. A awesome scene of good voice acting in my opinion is Petrea Buchards voice as Ryoko in Ep 6 of OVA 1, her scream/cry before Tenchi is blasted by Kagato soawesome1 . I could not only hear, but feel the scream of emotion made by Ryoko in that scene, one of my favorites moments in the OVA’s iloveit1 . In Ai, the show has a variety of feel moments, and I hope they can pull off an excellent dub work, or else rageblow1 .
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Something came to mind while thinking more for this topic, will the dub be released directly on dvd/bluray format or will we see on tv with a different schedule from the original showing? I understand if they wish to deploy dub by dvd/bluray quickly when it’s done, but I can’t help but think if it was shown on American networks. If they do release to American tv networks it could be Tenchi’s return to Toonami? WANT1

Although this is just my thought.

Anonymous

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Something came to mind while thinking more for this topic, will the dub be released directly on dvd/bluray format or will we see on tv with a different schedule from the original showing? I understand if they wish to deploy dub by dvd/bluray quickly when it’s done, but I can’t help but think if it was shown on American networks. If they do release to American tv networks it could be Tenchi’s return to Toonami? WANT1

Although this is just my thought.

Ukinojo, I’d be interested to see what your thoughts would be on this

AI DUB CAST: WHOM WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

But I don’t think that Tenchi is really conducive to Toonami anymore, which is about action, and while Ai Tenchi has action in it, I don’t see it doing well on Toonami, though I would love to see it.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.