Tenchi Muyo Fan Episode

Forums Fan Stuff Tenchi Projects Tenchi Muyo Fan Episode

• This topic is empty.
    Today on mumble, Llwchwr, Ballsmagee and I chatted a bit about the concept of a Tenchi Muyo! fan series. With all the highly talented members of the fandom, it honestly surprises me that this hasn’t been done yet. With the inception of flash animation and other video/cartoon rendering programs the time is long past for this to happen. I myself know at least three voice actors/actresses who are Tenchi Muyo! fans and would probably jump at the chance to be part of such a project. I’ve yet to look into the legal logistics of such an endeavor but so long as it is simply a fan-made homage I doubt we’ll run into any serious problems. Now, I’m not friends with any exceptional flash animators, that I know of, though I’m sure if we trolled around newgrounds or youtube we could find plenty of people who are along the lines of talent we’re looking for and are either fans already of would be interested in such a project of this scale. We still would have to consider a script for this and I think it should be something we work on together as a forum. As the most heavily populated and active Tenchi forum I’ve ever seen, I think we have both the manpower and drive to get this done!

This is of course just a pipe dream at the moment, but I for one think it should be something we can see to fruition.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Replies
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      I love the idea of a fan series that everyone can contribute to! This is a cool idea, and you are absolutely right patu, if any community can pull it off it’s :sign: ! So many projects and great ideas floating around in this section though… I don’t know if you’ve checked it out yet patu, but there’s a current project we have underway here to “re-dub” OVA3. Read about it HERE. There’s absolutely no reason why we can’t do both of these at once, but I would kinda like to see that one pick up steam before shifting gears toward this. I love this idea though, and I will gladly offer my time and talent to see it through should it progress!
      Llwchwr
      Although this wont be an easy task to pull off and i have no exceptional skills to add i will do whatever i can to aid this project in anyway. I don’t have any contacts but i have joined the anime society of the university so i can see if anyone there would be able to help out.

First question though would be; which continuation would this fan episode take place in?

DarkPatu
      Alright, if we’re going to do this we need to take a tally of who can do what.

With a bit of practice, I can get back into drawing. For those of you who want to see what kind of art I do or my level of ‘skill’ I’ve got a slew of art here: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/darkpatu [be forewarned, it’s mostly furry and if you login there is indeed some adult material]

I’m currently trying to learn how to animate using Flash, an arduous process for those of us who didn’t go to art school. I’ve got a decent voice, but a piss-poor microphone. I can do a lot of voices but I’d really have to practice to get down the tone of any canon characters.

You all also know I’m a writer, but if this is going to be a forum-wide project, I think we should collaborate on a script, something we all want to see and watch and would be proud to have our name on.

I’m currently getting in contact with the voice actors/actresses that I know, and also those few people I can name that have some modicum of animation skill. Once we have something more concrete we can look into contacting professional animators and see if they would be willing to work with us on providing services as key animator for the project.

If you have a talent, skill, or just the drive to help make this happen reply in kind!

jgzinv
      Honestly I think y’all could get more done faster by using something like daz3D.

Main reason being is that while it’s 3D, I’ve seen someone that knows next to nothing take an existing model and it comes with the motions already built in.

Instead of having to draw it all by hand ala frame style. Just modify an existing model to look like each character, make the environment out of something. There are already 3D models of tenchi-ken, the house, ryu-oh, and lots of regular items.

http://www.daz3d.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne5Q82ATYv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nofJ5dsgJiA&feature=related

Also you should be talking the the lighthawk force guys and picking their brains. They’ve essentially already done this. To a large degree may be better that you try emulating them and get a “remixed” episode under your belt before trying something totally new.

DarkPatu
      You’ve got a good point there, that would be worth looking into. We’d still have some work ahead of us to modify the models to fit the characters, but it would certainly be less work than having to hand-draw each frame. We’d just need a powerhouse PC to render it properly. Great find, JGZ!
      jgzinv
      Long as you’re not trying to render everything in scene at one time, or have 30 dozen things in scene, it runs fine on a core2duo system with a pretty poor GPU.

I wouldn’t per say render on intel integrated or any integrated graphics option, but you should be able to mess around with it.

Llwchwr
      I’ll help in any which way i can. I can partially draw,can write but have never experimented with animation software. I suppose if i find a way i could try and use my guitar to provide some soundtrack or get others from the music society to help.
      DarkPatu
      I took a closer look at the DAZ3D site and I think that’s actually almost EXACTLY what we need! The way they have it set up is actually pretty cool. Then I suppose we’d have to decide on if it would look better more realistic or more anime/toon style since they have both readily available.

I’ve got a little bit of experience with 3D modeling too, but my textures are always awful, so I’d need assistance with that.

I’ll try to get in contact with TLF, it doesn’t look like they have an email address readily available, but I’ll leave a comment and see if I can’t get into regular communication with them.

We could try doing a remixed episode just to play in the waters, or I could use the DAZ3D and some blank models to try to recreate episodes just as a way to get a good feel for the system. Who here does any voice acting, or can mimic voices pretty well? I doubt we’d be able to get the original cast & crew in on this without running into something pretty touchy on funi legal sides or just winding up bothering them. Speaking of which I’ll look into legal precedence and try to make sure we can cover our asses today as well.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Wow alot to cover! Where to start?

First of all, great idea DarkPatu (oh and LL and Balls and anyone else, sorry for my ignorance). It’s just this type of positive ambitiousness that makes for a dedicated fandom.

As to why hasn’t this been previously attempted? (because you’re right DarkPatu, there’s a lot of talent in Tenchi fandom). Funny you should mention, because once upon a time, some of us members here now on the forum made plans to do just that (I’ll leave it up to the ‘editor-in-chief’ here if we’re going to elaborate on that more at this time or not) but hasn’t yet gotten off the ground. It would take alot of doing, but we have alot on our plates right now, and life kind of got in the way so to speak. It’s so wonderful that more people are independently coming to a similar conclusion.

Some answers (in no particular order) to some of your other concerns raised:

I do amateur voice acting–whether it’s ‘good’ or not is subjective and I won’t argue the point, but I will say in the few years I’ve done so on youtube I have improved! (though I don’t know if I’d be suitable for anyone in the Tenchi universe, just answering your question).

If you’d like to get in touch with TLF, don’t worry about that 😉 we’ve got them on speed dial (so since this project will be ‘in the works’ for quite some time, and is very speculative atm, plus given the fact we’re trying to reboot Tenchi Abridged, let’s hold off on approaching them with this, eh?)

And legal issues? Well, yes that’s a tricky situation. On all accounts, for that reason we technically couldn’t get the official cast members as vocal talent without the okay from certain entities (not that they’d jump at the chance anyway, lol). With other concerns, as far as using what is clearly the likeness of characters and plots associated with a series that clearly isn’t our own…well, that could be a bit of a gray area. Someone arguing in favor of upholding copyright would say ‘no’ but at the same time, it would be a small, fun, fan-made, non-profit project, so being left to the copyright holders’ discretion, we might be ok. Parody is usually a reliable safety-net, but I don’t think that’s really what we’d be dealing with here.

*note: I am a non-attorney spokesman. I am NOT offering legal advice! 😆

So yeah, in short this is a good idea, alot to work out, but something that will definitely remain on the table.

DarkPatu
      After a little bit of research, yeah this does fall into a grey area of the fan-labor laws. It should be acceptable under the rules fair-use to avoid any kind of copyright infringement. But sadly I think you’re right. While we probably could approach Petrea and Kate and Matthew and everyone about it, it would likely ruffle some feathers with Funi and beyond that I’m not sure they’d even be interested in resurrecting their old roles. I’ve got a legal contacts that I can double check with, but I’d be willing to bet that route is off the roster for now.

I’ll be downloading Daz3D tonight and playing around with it just to see what we can do with the program.

I’ve got my fanfiction that I’m still working on, but before this gets too far off the ground I’d like to see if we can’t put together a rough script or at least a direction for the story to go in so we have a jumping point as it were. So, on that note what do you all think would be a better option; A) A continuation of OVA3 where we can finally close up some of the gaping holes in the canon, B) go in the opposite direction and try to forget that most of that happened since the entire series of events was supposed to have been wiped from the timeline, or C) go completely off the wall and head along the Y access and turn the world upside down? I’m calling out to everyone here, not just the writers, where would you like to see this go?

jgzinv
      I’ve got some more to add on this but I’ve got to run to work atm.

In short aim small and get like a two minute skit done then worry about an episode.

DarkPatu
      That’s more or less the idea for now. I’m going to get the Daz3D program and play around with it, try to make up some quickie animations for the characters and play around with posing before we get heavy into anything close to full-length.
      Llwchwr
      I think Patu i’m leaning more towards options b and c. No matter what we do we cannot rescue and repair OVA 3 and i would much prefer it to be set in the universe timeline as i think it’d be easier to string an episode onto it then the OVA’s (and to include kiyone in it).
      Llwchwr
      Found someone on youtube who seems to be doing a similar thing but fro dragon ball. Maybe he might answer a few questions or give us advice on our little project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-KD8sXaYYs&feature=plcp

Amitav
      I’d like to see the Manga or novels come to my screen, but I think it might be awhile before that happens.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Dragonball Absalon is amazing, I need to check in on him again sometime to see if he’s made some significant progress last time I checked (sounds like he’s gotten a lot of positive feedback and support). I love what he seems to be doing with his approach of @#$* power levels, throw them out the window and let’s focus on characters and plot instead of exactness of how many planets each one of them can bench-press at any given time.

Anyway, hopefully someday we can get the ball rolling on this, but we (the staff) are at work on a few other projects/chores atm, but by all means if anyone wants to try to get things started on this, go for it! (it can’t hurt to send people pm’s with innocent questions now can it?)

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.