Tenchi Muyo: Love! / 20th Anniversary Thread

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Manga / Doujinshi / Light Novel Tenchi Muyo: Love! / 20th Anniversary Thread

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    It is nearly upon us… the 20th Anniversary of Tenchi Muyo!, the show we have come to love and which has lead us to this forum and each other. The show and characters we obsess over, creating fanart and fanfiction. The show and spinoffs we spend our hard earned (well…) money on at the store and conventions and the interwebs as seen in the Collections thread.

The 20th Anniversary that Tenchi Muyo! first aired in Japan is September 25… how do you feel about it? Let us all reflect.

Wow, TWENTY years. Twenty… In 1992, let’s see.. I was.. 5 years old? I discovered Tenchi in 2000.. I’ve known it then for 12 years more or less and though it’s gained and lost steam here and there, it’s as awesome as ever. Speaking solely of OVA 1, with it’s traditionally drawn animation and catchy theme song, energetic interesting characters that have stayed in our minds.. There aren’t many shows like Tenchi Muyo! anymore, are there? Yeah, there are many other anime I’ve watched and liked, and I went through a hiatus but I feel this show is permanently etched into my brain. Fan for life :D. Anyway… TWENTY years.

Where do you think you’d be without Tenchi Muyo! in your life?

@.@ Without hearing Petrea as Ryoko or Sherry Lynn as Sasami/Kiyone? The other main cast or Japanese seiyuu? Without Jurai or Space pirates or the Galaxy Police or carrot loving cabbits? It’s certainly made an impact and I don’t know, honestly, how different my life would be without these influences.

What are you hoping for in the future?

An addition to the OVA is a given, or Geminar or other spin-offs. As mentioned other places, I really do want a Universe continuation or spin-off… even a prequel with Miho-Kiyo :) I really hope that the Funimation re-releases bring in new, diverse fans that bring awesomeness into the Tenchi fandom.

*passes around some muffins* I expect well-thought out answers and thoughts on the 20th Anniversary ^_^. If anybody wants to add any questions, go right ahead.

Viewing 163 reply threads
  • Replies
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Mittens wrote:

Fan for life

Wurrrd coolguyshadesplz

Wow. Alot to consider. Alot to look back and reflect on. Alot to account for and hopefully, alot more good times to come in the future.

The most profound questions for me personally involve speculating as to what my life would be like without Tenchi: what would I be doing? And most of all, (yes, you called it, but I’m serious) who would I be as a person? Difficult questions to answer; I imagine the shorthand response to all of these questions, in a nutshell, would be–in all honesty–my life would not be nearly as fulfilling. First of all, look at how many totally awesome, fan-freaking-tastic, amazing friends I’ve made from the fandom of Tenchi alone! Just stop and think about it for yourselves: How awesome is that? This aspect in and of itself alone would be enough proof that my life would not be as complete as it is now without Tenchi–and you all (well, is it ‘complete’ yet? I’d venture to say no, but it’d be waaay less complete without…oh you know what I mean).

Where would I be without the advanced, humanoid civilization known as Jurai? Or the rural Japanese teenager? Or the brash space-pirate/demon? I shudder to think. Seeing that stuff at such an early age, even I am at a loss as to just how much it’s inspired me, in my own writing/artistic endeavors and influencing my own sense of imagination. I’ll never truly know how much it influenced me…

But to the question of “where would I be?” Well, actually, again I cringe at the thought, but I might not be going in the ‘right’ direction in my life were it not for Tenchi!

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf0T2riQ_QY&list=PL161AD527CA2D9D26&index=3&feature=plpp_video[/BBvideo]

As simple as they may seem, the lyrics to this particular opening of Tenchi really inspired me during a crossroads of my life; if I’m ever successful at my future career endeavors –*knock on wood– I’ll owe a great deal of gratitude to everyone involved in the making of Tenchi Muyo!

Happy 20th Tenchi! :Tenchismile: Well almost!

Also great choice of AMV WWWWWWHHHOOOO!!!

Pioneer Truly a song that does a perfect job of expressing the heart of the Tenchi franchise

VIVA TENCHI! 20 years of entertainment, and lets hope for 20 more!!! *Knock on wood!*

Wonder if Japan will do any-thing special for any of Tenchi’s upcoming imporant B-days. They don’t seem to be doing much now, but they GOTTA do something come his 25th!

And yes I agree, its high time for some new Tenchi content, especially an OVA 4 &/or some new Universe related content!

Anywho Tenchi Fan since 2000!!! WHOO!!!! :washu: :washu: :washu: :scared: :fight: :Cheeks: :Tenchismile: :D 😎

Thorn
      Twenty years ago, I was just a mere toddler at the age of nineteen months. :D Like pretty much everyone here, I first discovered Tenchi around 12 years ago when it aired on Toonami. It’s always had a place in my heart, and admittedly, it had fallen off my radar but was not forgetten until I rediscovered it about 2 and a half years ago. Since then I’ve been an avid and eager participant in the Tenchi fandom.

As for the future, well, there are so many things that I hope for the future of Tenchi. I realize that much of the fun of the series is that Tenchi never chooses any of the girls, but at the same time, I hope we will eventually see the day that he does. I hope for a continuation of Tenchi Universe and for more of the story arcs from the manga to be translated onto the screen in some form!

Llwchwr
      Even though i only got into anime late last year and Tenchi Muyo is older than me I am thoroughly enjoying my time here on :sign: my first and only forum i have joined.

I will raise a glass in honour of Tenchi Muyo and to many more fun filled years to come.

Twenty years ago I wasn’t interested in anime.I was just getting re-interested in American comics at the time.I didn’t get into anime really until 2001/02.I didn’t even learn about Tenchi until I joined The Anime Cafe

Forum(R.I.P.)which has gone the way of a lot of other forums,sad to say.

Hmmmm…..The first time I saw Tenchi on tv was a scene between Sasami and Tenchi from Tenchi In Tokyo

on Toonami.I wasn’t impressed by the dub so I turned it off.What really got me into the whole Tenchi thing

were the manga and Dual!Of course back then I didn’t know the connection between Dual! and Tenchi.

Tenchi Forever was one of the first DVDs I bought.The first DVD I bought was vol.3 of GITS:SAC.

Ah!Now me is rambling.Sorry.

Ballsmagee01
      Ah Tenchi Muyo! How u have grown in the hearts of many people. What I am planing to do is draw a happy 20th birthday poster. I have been a Tenchi fan since 98-99 (can’t remember withch date it was when I started watching) and will always be a fan for life. Long live Tenchi Ryoko Ayeka Sasami Washu Kiyone Mihoshi Noboyuki Yosho and little cute Ryo-Ohki :fight: :Tenchismile: :scared: :washu: and long live :sign:
      Many happy returns: :washu: :washu: :washu: :washu: :washu: :washu:
      Happy twentieth anniversary!
      Hate to admit it but that makes our beloved Sasami 729 years old now!
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

SilverWhisper wrote:

Happy twentieth anniversary!

I second this!

It’s finally here:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY EVERYONE!

Here’s to many, many more with our very own ‘Masaki household’ and with the cast of unique characters here whom I’ve come to know and love as my own *[dys]functional ‘family’ of sorts.

*haha, jk bout that part (u all know I love ya, crazy or otherwise)

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Indeed happy anniversary Tenchi! It’s scary to think that only 20 years ago the world had yet to experience the wonders of Tenchi Muyo! While I can’t honestly say that Tenchi altered my trajectory in life, I do know that it played a big part in my continuing fascination with anime, which has brought many good shows into my life. Of course Tenchi has also given me years of enjoyment and brought me to this place we call home, and to the family of fans I have met here iloveyouplz

Here’s to twenty great years of Tenchi Muyo! and, God willing, twenty more!

Thorn
      Happy 20th Tenchi Muyo!!

Here’s to an amazing anime/manga and hopefully the continuation of a great series. May the Tenchi fanbase continue to thrive and grow along with the odd little family that is Tenchiforum! You guys are awesome! crosseyedclapplz imcryingsomuchplz

It be nice if Funi did something special for the 20th anniversary.

:washu: :washu: :washu:

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Like finally releasing video discs? :Cheeks:
      Kiyoka
      *raises a glass* To my dear Tenchi, no other anime has captivated me as much as you. Its all thanks to you I started writting seriously. My passion may ebb and flow but it will never cease! HEre’s to another 20 years!!! :washu:
      By then I shall be old enough to date Misaki and Funaho! 😆

(If they weren’t already married….)

WisperG
      From The Fandom Post

Original source: Sanyo Shimbun WebNews

Quote:

A new Tenchi Muyo series appears to be coming, but it won’t be like previous incarnations in some ways. The Sanyo Newspaper is reporting that Takahashi City has announced that a new anime is being produced with the city investing money into it. The series is getting a tentative name of Ai Tenchi Muyo! and the idea behind is is that they’ll be producing fifty episodes of the series – at five minutes an episode. That pushes the show more towards just being a comedy with some romantic material likely thrown in to keep it hopping. The series is expected to begin broadcast in October 2014 via Tokyo MX. The project brings back original creator Kajishima Masaki to work on it.

kiyonesmile1 mmmm1 soawesome1 gendo1

2nd Source: Anime News Network

Quote:

Representatives from the city of Takahashi in Okayama Prefecture announced on Monday that the city is raising money to fund a new Tenchi Muyo! series. The tentatively titled Ai: Tenchi Muyo! will be set in Takahashi, as the city hopes fans will come on a “pilgrimage” to see the setting of the anime, and plans to sell goods and host related events.

The series is slated to run for 50 five-minute episodes on Tokyo MX starting in October.

The town is raising 16,840,000 yen (US$165,293) in advertising expenses. Tenchi Muyo! creator Masaki Kajishima is credited as the original creator and Hiroaki Inoue is attached as the producer for the upcoming series. Kajishima is also from Okayama prefecture, where many works in the Tenchi series take place.

Anonymous
      So can I coin this one as well “Ai Tenchi Muyo” aka TENCHI MUYO LOVE

It’s also important to note that they will be producing a DVD for it, so we will more than likely be getting it over here at some point kiyonesmile1

http://www.sanyo.oni.co.jp/news_s/news/d/2014052622375624/

jgzinv
      Cliff notes version from my translations:

Mr. Masaki Kajishima of the Kurashiki City is an listed as original creator.

Professor Hiroaki Inoue of a Kibi International University of Japan animation cultural faculty takes charge of production.

Nippon Television Network Corporation (Tokyo MX TV)

It schedules in Tokyo to be broadcast in the TV station and Tokyo Metropolitan Television

Note that NTNC owns Hulu Japan or is partnered with.

168.48 million yen being raised to fund project.

Risk, Goods concerned are developed in cooperation with the commerce and industry group, etc, to promote tourism.

50 episodes of five minutes each = roughly 8.3, 30 minute episodes of length.

Broadcasting will start on a weekday night in October.

Production to DVD is planned.

Based around Takahashi City university.

Am I the only one having trouble keeping up with all the good news coming out of Japan now?

Although the proposed title for the new Tenchi is a bit confusing for me since it kinda makes me think of

Ai Yori Aoshi.

Personally I’m still pumped and stoked from the Sailor Moon news. tuxedodouche

Nil Admirari
      none
      50 episodes at 5 minutes long each? That’s got me a little worried that the series will be hammering hard on the tourism aspect moreso than anything else. Not a whole lot of breathing room for things to properly develop in such a cramped space even with 50 total episodes. And with a city putting backing funds behind it has me a little concerned about the budget for animation. Will they be able to give us a decently drawn and animated bunch of shorts? Or will it be more along the lines of the static animation used in the DVD special short?

Very interesting that the series is being put out under an alternate name – Tenchi Muyo Ai/Tenchi Muyo Love. If I were to take a guess I’d say that Kajishima’s using this as a way to get the characters back into the heads of fans and the Japanese TV audiences. Then, should it prove successful for them, he could use that leverage to shop around and get funding for a true OVA4. Though I wonder just how much involvement he has on this and if this is indeed what he talked about in the Comiket doujin last year. August will have to roll around before we’re sure.

In any case, this is a pretty damn exciting bit of news for Tenchi fans! kiyonesmile1

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      I am very excited about this! Any new Tenchi at this point is great news! Also, props to you Crazed and JG for calling this way back in your translation of 13.12!

Brief thoughts: The fact that AIC isn’t mentioned anywhere in the articles is curious, as it lends credibility to my theory that they had to give up some of their licenses up along the way to regaining their autonomy. It will be interesting to see more info about the production group/staff. I’m especially curious to learn what Kajishima’s involvement, if any, will be. He’s apparently listed as “character creator” which seems to be analogous to his listings in the TU/TiT credits, which could indicate that he won’t be involved in the actual show. OR, it could mean that he’s going to be providing the new designs to be used. It will be very interesting to see, either way. Another thing is the format. The short episodes could mean that this will be a pure animated tourism brochure, or it could be more in the vein of Hetalia or other short series, but with a particular focus on the fun times in Takahashi city. Either way, I highly doubt this will be in the more serious style that we’ve been used to seeing in Tenchi. I’d obviously rather see a more substantial show, but if this is successful in ginning up interest in a new series, I will be ecstatic!

Conclusions: It’s an exciting time to be a Tenchi fan! Hell, it’s a great time to be an anime fan in general. The number of announcements, news coverage, and explosive breakthroughs in this month alone has me calling it Ani-May! 😆 Anyway, I will continue to look forward to this show with hope and trepidation, but I can’t see this as anything but a win-win for tenchi fans who have waited so long to see new material on the small screen!

jgzinv
      I’ve been dumpster diving the net for other info, came across the university that it is being done at.

Some infos:

Takahashi map:

http://kiui.jp/pc/english/image/pdf/takahashi_map.pdf

Blog/ Working environment:

http://kiui.jp.e.cv.hp.transer.com/pc/gakka/bunka/anime/blog/

PDF’s on the courses and stuff happening (with mention of tenchi and pics of Hiroaki Inoue):

http://kiui.jp.e.cv.hp.transer.com/pc/topic/?p=1231

http://kiui.jp/pc/topic/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2014anime2.pdf

http://kiui.jp/pc/topic/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2014anime.pdf

Previous works:

http://kiui.jp.e.cv.hp.transer.com/pc/gakka/bunka/anime/katuyaku.html

Some Translationy stuff:

Quote:

Hiroaki Inoue animation cultural subject professor(Full-time

Publication from animated cartoon production, Product development, Game production, It is involved in the contents production of the event project management etc. and passing of years of 34 of ..earliness.. [ya], A lot of works have been sent off to the world. The character contents of Japan, Development with media, Commercialization of many kinds,

It is consumed in a lot of countries such as the event live that collect a lot of fans.

How to make the character and animation in this learning, In learning the method of [purodeyu-su], Will you aim at the producer who has the side as the creator who passes to the world?

Brief history”[Evangeriwon]”One of GAINAX founders who produced [wo].

In the Tezuka professional in 1980″Astroboy”It drinks and the animation career is started by production.

To a lot of famous animation production, Producer, It participates as a director.

It was held for the first time in Asia in 2007. “The world SF rally”It serves as the execution chairman drinking.

Aim at work ● lens man ● royal space army top ●.!

● A lot of works of movie such as useless ● Armitage III of [memori-zu] ● perfect and blue ● Tenchi ● blue gender ● bubble gums and TV・OVA.

Tenchi Muyo!” SF love rice ? AIC/[jeneon;yuniba-saruentateinmento], [tsukutsuu] agency, TV Tokyo, and Kadokawa Shoten in Okayama Prefecture

Quote:

It aims at a cool subject that learns [ku-rujiyapa] ° [n].

“Animation cultural subject”However, as [-] [tsuno] faculty, It will become independent this time. Along with it, It is said teacher Hiroaki Inoue, It will join a famous producer of the animated cartoon industry as a full-time teacher. Please power improved. “Animation cultural subject”..impurity.. expectation [kudasai].

Quote:

Pickup teacher

Brief history: 1980, [Anime-shonkiyaria] is started from the Tezuka professional. GG animated cartoon”Lens man”It becomes [nite] producer 1, [Gainakkusu] is started up in 1985. “Royal space army”It serves as Producer 1. It becomes independent afterwards,”[Memori-zu]””A lot of works such as Tenchi useless J are handled, It was held for the first time in Asia in 2007. “The world SF rally”It serves as the execution chairman drinking.

※ This content is a schedule, It is likely to change.

Full-time professor

Hiroaki Inoue

Specialty: [Kontentsupurodeyu-su]

I posted this on ANN, and though you like to read it:

This would seem explain the “If” Doujin released at the last ComiKet. It had no story line per say , but show a history of Tenchi’s and Siena’s children. If these are similar to previous short works by Kajishima Misaki, these will not be full anime, but more of a video slideshow with audio soundtracks. This would be an excellent way of covering a family history in Kajishima’s day in a life style of storytelling.

Anonymous

shadow_s_writer wrote:

I posted this on ANN, and though you like to read it:

This would seem explain the “If” Doujin released at the last ComiKet. It had no story line per say , but show a history of Tenchi’s and Siena’s children. If these are similar to previous short works by Kajishima Misaki, these will not be full anime, but more of a video slideshow with audio soundtracks. This would be an excellent way of covering a family history in Kajishima’s day in a life style of storytelling.

Why would it be an audio slideshow when they are said to be promoting and using the Universities animation department? It wouldn’t make any sense, especially at 5 minutes long.

jgzinv
      Since it’s relevant… pictures of all the real world locations:

http://www.cuso4.org/photos/20040528-tyo/20040528-tyo-tenchi.htm

Nobuyuki
      Participant

WisperG wrote:

OP

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kmfDeasuoA[/BBvideo]

SnowQueen
      Wondering since it’s only 5 minute episodes if it’s going to be just short little comedic silly little moments rather than deep in depth story I was (probably everyone) was hoping for. And since its only short episodes most things like that I’ve seen like that are either done in chibi style or they not extermely detailed out. I’m guessing it’s gonna be like but who knows. Just having new Tenchi out with the orignial cast is beyond awesome!
      I suppose they might be aiming for a more comedic series for a change of pace.
      AstroNerdBoy
      When it comes to the 5-minute episodes, I’d look to things like the Chuunibyou shorts or other series that have had 5 minute shorts. Two minutes of these things (give or take) are dedicated to credits. :-(

Basically, assuming the contents of -If- are what’s going to happen, we’ll get 50, small slice-of-life episodes, focusing on comedy more than anything.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Yeah I’m pumped.
      Tenchitor
      I’m really looking forward to it! Tenchismile
      highgear56

Nil Admirari wrote:

50 episodes at 5 minutes long each? That’s got me a little worried that the series will be hammering hard on the tourism aspect moreso than anything else. Not a whole lot of breathing room for things to properly develop in such a cramped space even with 50 total episodes. And with a city putting backing funds behind it has me a little concerned about the budget for animation. Will they be able to give us a decently drawn and animated bunch of shorts? Or will it be more along the lines of the static animation used in the DVD special short?

Very interesting that the series is being put out under an alternate name – Tenchi Muyo Ai/Tenchi Muyo Love. If I were to take a guess I’d say that Kajishima’s using this as a way to get the characters back into the heads of fans and the Japanese TV audiences. Then, should it prove successful for them, he could use that leverage to shop around and get funding for a true OVA4. Though I wonder just how much involvement he has on this and if this is indeed what he talked about in the Comiket doujin last year. August will have to roll around before we’re sure.

In any case, this is a pretty damn exciting bit of news for Tenchi fans! kiyonesmile1

Pretty much how I feel. I’m not exactly pumped for it, I really am not sure whether to trust Kajishima again after OVA 3. But it’ll be interesting for sure!

Was I the only one here to immediately think of Hetalia Axis Powers when this was announced?
      Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

Was I the only one here to immediately think of Hetalia Axis Powers when this was announced?

I actually mentioned this in the podcast as that was one of the first things I thought of as well, lol

Great Minds Think A Like? 😆
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Dagon123 wrote:

mitsuki lover wrote:

I actually mentioned this in the podcast as that was one of the first things I thought of as well, lol

All of a sudden I’m picturing Britain and France fighting over America in a whole new light. mmmm1

SnowQueen
      I’m glad I wasn’t the only one thinking that way! mmhmm1 I was think the same thing which gave me the reasoning that this series is going to be more cutesy and silly but who knows.
      I’m kinda wondering now if they’ll use chibi forms of the characters instead of regular.
      So will the Usual Suspects(tm) be in it? I mean the seiyuus who play the characters.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Probably, except for the obvious.
      I can’t imagine Tenchi without Yokoyama Chisa as our beloved blue haired princess Sasami.
      Lighthawk93
      What’s the best website to go look at all of the news and updates? By that I mean if there is an official website for the new series
      AstroNerdBoy

mitsuki lover wrote:

So will the Usual Suspects(tm) be in it? I mean the seiyuus who play the characters.

I will be curious to see how Nobuyuki and Katsuhito are voiced now. The Japanese are pretty good at getting replacements that are close to the original seiyuu. (In the case of Lupin III, amazingly so for Lupin’s character.)

Anonymous

Lighthawk93 wrote:

What’s the best website to go look at all of the news and updates? By that I mean if there is an official website for the new series

Oh, check out this site here

Lighthawk93
      You got me good Dagon
      Anonymous
      Looks as though AIC IS involved with the project, and they are “celebrating” the franchise of Tenchi with Ai:Tenchi Muyo

via ANN

Quote:

The anime studio AIC confirmed on Monday that it is working on Ai Tenchi Muyo!, the new Tenchi Muyo! anime series. The studio’s website notes the animation production is moving forward, and that the official website will open this summer.

The city of Takahashi in Okayama Prefecture announced last month that it is sponsoring the new anime. The anime will be set in Takahashi, as the city hopes fans will come on a “pilgrimage” to see the setting of the anime, and plans to sell goods and host related events. The series is slated to run for 50 five-minute episodes on Tokyo MX starting in October.

AIC produced the first Tenchi Muyo! original video anime series and the projects that followed. The franchise is celebrating its 20th anniversary with this new project.

http://cdn02.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/max300x600g/cms/news/75604/201406_aitenchi.jpg" />

If you look at the outline, it looks somewhat similar to a school getup, especially with what he’s holding could be books.

If they are considering this a celebration of the franchise, my monies on it now that it has nothing to do with Tenchi Muyo -If-

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      4/20 ?

:add: Not surprised at all by the AIC bit.

Anonymous

Nobuyuki wrote:

4/20 ?

Looks like the OCR thing derped there a bit blush1 (wondered why it said that…)

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      It’s interesting to see the new image sporting a dual copyright symbol for “Masaki Kajishima” and “aitenchimuyo.” I’m assuming this is simply denoting that the characters and concept are Kajishima’s, as we of course already knew, and that the new show is its own entity, again nothing new here. The million dollar (or yen, maybe?) question is still to what extent, if any, Kajishima will be involved in this project. One question seems to be provisionally answered by this, and that is whether or not AIC had to give up the rights to Tenchi as part of its recent re-acquisition of itself. This seems to indicate that they still have it, which means the chances of seeing some “old hands” from the show’s past, such as Kajishima, involved in any potential shows later down the line is pretty good at this point. Make of this what you will. Regardless, we are at least getting a clearer view of how things could potentially play out for the franchise, albeit in very small bites. Thanks for the share, Dagon.
      I found the part about the city sponsoring the anime interesting.So trying for all that foreign otaku tourist dollars.
      Nil Admirari
      none
      Looking more and more like a new spin-off entirely. Like a new Tenchi in Tokyo or perhaps similar to the game where Tenchi is attending school with the girls as classmates. Which would be great to see! We only ever got a hint of that in Universe during Sasami’s Time & Space Adventure segment and it was hilarious. Tenchi Muyo in Love didn’t quite give us the same thing since they had to be much more serious while on school grounds and Tenchi had to stay in the background as much as possible.
      jgzinv
      The actual tweet and image reads:

AIC official:

Quote:

Tenchi Muyo! Project the 20th anniversary『Love and Tenchi Muyo!』 The animated cartoon production is progressing. Schedule of official site opening to the public in summer of 2014.

Lighthawk93
      I wonder if the DVD will be like the clone war series where it plays all episodes continuously.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Lighthawk93 wrote:

I wonder if the DVD will be like the clone war series where it plays all episodes continuously.

That will probably depend on what kind of show this is going to be. If it’s just little 5 min comedy episodes with no overarching/serious plot (like most, if not all of us, are theorizing at this point) I doubt the dvd will be set up that way. Now, if by some chance we’re all wrong, and the show will be more serious, like the Clone Wars series you mentioned, then it might very well be set up like that. Stay tuned to this channel for late breaking bulletins as they cross our news desk!

Lighthawk93
      It’s the only one I am on, haha
      Maybe Kiyone’s in actual charge then,if they’re only 5 minute episodes. I mean 5 minutes is all she can stand to be around Mihoshi! kiyonesmile1 😆

Though I seriously wonder if they got the idea for the new series as much from The Melancholy of Haurhi-chan

as Hetalia Axis Powers.Will there also be a manga to go along with the series?

rtil
      the 5 minute short format is becoming pretty popular. sometimes it is pulled off well (Aiura), sometimes not so much (Pupa). i don’t mind the format, however i hate that almost 2 minutes of the airtime is dedicated to OP and ED, which makes them more like 3 minute shorts.

i think it’s better if they don’t have an ongoing plot, because it’s so hard to tell parts of a story in such stunted pieces. i hope they keep it to contained stories, Aiura did this really well. of course, it always leaves you wanting more, but since they are so short they can cram in a lot more quality animation so there’s a good and bad side to it.

Bottle Fairy is a good example of a series that had a substantial storyline but also fairly short episodes.

Though in it’s case the episodes were 10 instead of 5 minutes long IIRC(haven’t re-watched Bottle Fairy

for awhile).

Then again the storyline to Bottle Fairy was also rather simple compared with Tenchi.

Anonymous
      Since Love is being considered officially a celebration of the franchise for the 20th anniversary, the 20th anniversary thread and the new anime thread have been merged into 1 big thread!
      kiyonesmile1

YEAH!

The 1990s were a great decade for anime consider:

1990:

Record of Lodoss War

1991:

Ranma 1/2

1992:

Tenchi Moyu

Giant Robo:The Day The Earth Stood Still

1993:

Please Save My Earth

1994:

Magic Knight Rayearth

1995:

Sailor Moon SuperS

Wedding Peach

Gundam Wing

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Fushigi Yugi

Tenchi Universe

1996:

Detective Conan

The Vision of Escaflowne

Rurouni Kenshin

1997:

Slayers Try

Revolutionary Girl Utena

years based as far as I can remember on the actual Japanese dates when first premiered.

I could go on and on with listing titles that came out of the ’90s,but my main point here is basically to show

what a decade of tremendous creativity the 1990s was for anime in general while also celebrating one of the

greatest titles to come out of the decade:Tenchi Moyu.

And when you consider all the other titles that came out during this time why so many of them such as Tenchi

remain so popular even 20 years later.

Makes one wonder what titles from the 2010s we’ll be talking about celebrating 20th anniversaries in the 2030s.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      It’s interesting that they’re still going for a “20th anniversary celebration” even though we’re nearly two years out from the real twentieth anniversary back in 2012. I don’t know whether they’re just taking the “eh, it’s close enough” route, or if they’re dating it back to some other part of the franchise such as TU (1995), which could have pretty significant implications on the tone and continuity of the new show. Very interesting… I can’t wait for more info!

chucklocker wrote:

It’s interesting that they’re still going for a “20th anniversary celebration” even though we’re nearly two years out from the real twentieth anniversary back in 2012. I don’t know whether they’re just taking the “eh, it’s close enough” route, or if they’re dating it back to some other part of the franchise such as TU (1995), which could have pretty significant implications on the tone and continuity of the new show. Very interesting… I can’t wait for more info!

Hey, they did something similar a while back with a Steve Martin movie called ‘The Jerk’ (the “26th Anniversary” DVD release).

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      I love that movie! Lol.
      😆

I do wonder if the anniversary is based around TU as well since that did come out nearly 20 years ago,or did

they simply miss out on celebrating in 2012?

I bet that half the members of the forum aren’t even as old as the original OVA.

Lighthawk93
      How long till you think it will be dubbed?
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      They’ll probably dub 5 minutes an episode, max. ;)

Dubbing’s the least thing I’m anticipating at this moment; I’ll wonder about that later.

Nil Admirari
      none
      Agreed, I feel like it is most likely the last thing on their mind at the moment. I did consider briefly the possibility that Toonami/Funi are already in on it considering the official Toonami Tumblr’s use of a Tenchi OVA gif a short time before the official announcement but it is most likely just convenient timing.

Still, Tenchi is a large franchise over here so I would expect it to end up over here in some capacity. We’ll just have to wait and see what the future holds.

Anonymous

Nil Admirari wrote:

Agreed, I feel like it is most likely the last thing on their mind at the moment. I did consider briefly the possibility that Toonami/Funi are already in on it considering the official Toonami Tumblr’s use of a Tenchi OVA gif a short time before the official announcement but it is most likely just convenient timing.

Still, Tenchi is a large franchise over here so I would expect it to end up over here in some capacity. We’ll just have to wait and see what the future holds.

Because the content lends itself to play between episodes, I don’t think they will, but I’d love for Toonami to run them between episodes for all the new stuff. It’d be a cool for fans of the old show and plus it looks “new” so most people would be like “Woh whats this anime short they are showing?” and then boom they’d search Tenchi.

SnowQueen
      That would be a good idea. Will it happen? Probably not because they would loose money from not showing commercials. But I think they should do that in general and starting it with a fresh new tenchi series would be awesome. Take one day out of the week instead of showing commercials they should show anime shorts in between shows on Toonami night. Tenchismile
      Lighthawk93
      That would defiantly be awsome
      That really would be like the original Clone Wars if they could do it that way.
      Lighthawk93
      I know right
      heromech40
      This is a surprising development in the tenchi franchise I am interested in seeing how this unfolds. Maha hahahahahaha jk
      Will there be t’shirts and plushies? I want either a Kiyone or Aeka t’shirt or plushie.

(Hey since we’re getting Sailor Moon tees and plushies for its 20th why not ones for Tenchi?)

Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

Will there be t’shirts and plushies? I want either a Kiyone or Aeka t’shirt or plushie.

(Hey since we’re getting Sailor Moon tees and plushies for its 20th why not ones for Tenchi?)

We’ll probably see something and know more when the website goes live.

CrazyCabbit
      Better late than never, right? Riggghhht? Well F&%! YOU THEN! sakuyafinger1

Just Kidding

Hmmm… 20 years ago… I didn’t even existed then in 1992. Only my older brother did, and he had only been interested in movies at the time. My parents and him lived at Farmington, NM for a handful of years till they moved to where I live now. Its been two years since I discovered Tenchi Muyo! It was a heck of a year. And It all started in 2012 when Toonami came back, and had GXP on the program. I thought how hilarious GXP was. Then I noticed their is alot of story telling & history behind each character. Which got me courious about the series, I then found Tenchi Universe on Youtube. I fell in love in everything the show offered, then felt very depressed the series was over. Untill I found the movies to watch, and again became so depressed that I thought to myself. “What now?”

So on I had a very hard time to understand all the alternate Tenchi Series, since I started with GXP and Tenchi Universe wth2 . But if Tench Muyo! wasen’t in my life…

Then I would be some fat f%$# without a life who spends all the useful time in a lifetime playing fps games. And have no interest in any Anime, Manga series what so ever. aquateencarl1

Without the influence I taken from Tenchi Muyo! and not hearing any of the voices from the amazing characters from such a wonderful world. I wouldn’t be comfortable around girls at all. Nor even have friends I have today.

I wish in the future, their will be a full potential in me to have my own encounters with everyone that involves Tenchi Muyo! Also of course a brand new Tenchi OVA.

And me finishing my collection.

I should go now, since I’m literally at work now.

And thanks for the muffins. 20 Anniversary, Holy S%$#!!!

And our favorite Tenchi gals are still has beautiful as ever,though poor Sasami is going to be stuck in

elementary school for awhile.Someone please hurry up and fast forward it 10 years so our favorite 2nd Princess of

Jurai can enter high school!

Nil Admirari
      none
      New info!

Hiroshi Negishi, director of Tenchi Universe and the two movies following that continuity, has been announced as the director for Tenchi Muyo: Ai!

Also, Suzuhito Yasuda has been announced as the art director/character designer. It’s quite a different look from the usual Tenchi, that’s for sure!

http://i.imgur.com/PUCSV69.jpg" />

According to the post on ANN, there are two new characters we’ll see with Tenchi in the new show. With Comiket coming right around the corner, surely we’ll see more new faces leading up to the 15th.

http://i.imgur.com/yOUTJ5a.jpg" />

Tenchi Masaki, the school’s new student teacher. He’s genetically predisposed to getting into trouble.

http://i.imgur.com/VbX4b8u.jpg" />

Momo Kawanaga, the school’s student council president. She is straight-forward and honest and has a strong sense of justice.

http://i.imgur.com/8cXrXcI.jpg" />

Kō Oninoshiro, the bodyguard of the school science club. She’s taciturn, brave, and confident. She has superhuman strength like an ogre.

julia
      Totally acceptable school attire!
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Gonna go out on a limb a bit and say I’m actually pretty okay with the new designs. Obviously, they’re a far cry from the great classics, but at least they aren’t generic blobs like most modern designs! Also, I am beyond thrilled to have Negishi back at the helm! Here’s hopping we have an August to remember in Tenchi fandom!
      Nil Admirari
      none
      By the by, the official Tenchi Muyo: Ai website has gone live as well. Right now it only has the character bios up and the main cast list, but soon enough there will be more info. They also have a twitter account.
      Anonymous

chucklocker wrote:

Gonna go out on a limb a bit and say I’m actually pretty okay with the new designs. Obviously, they’re a far cry from the great classics, but at least they aren’t generic blobs like most modern designs! Also, I am beyond thrilled to have Negishi back at the helm! Here’s hopping we have an August to remember in Tenchi fandom!

I agree, while the designs are not “classic” Tenchi they are a breath of fresh air and most modern anime fans probably prefer these over the classic designs. With Negishi back at the helm, I’m excited to see what happens and can’t wait to see where the show decides to go!

rtil
      this is not what i was expecting. this reveal didn’t really get me excited for the series as it all looks very unfamiliar and thus doesn’t remind me at all of tenchi. i will still give it a chance, but i won’t get my hopes up for anything groundbreaking. they are 5 minute shorts, after all.

just a shame that for tenchi’s 20th anniversary we get this. i think tenchi deserves better. sailor moon got an entire series reboot! but it’s far more popular and pushes more merch, so it’s not a fair comparison.

Nil Admirari
      none
      I’m sure we’ll see more in two weeks at Comiket, either through Kajishima’s booth or a general release mentioned during the hype. The website still has a lot that needs filling out. I have to admit, I am not too excited with these two new characters because they aren’t our girls. I will still give them a chance, they have had no opportunity to prove themselves so I can and will give them that much. I just hope we see at least Ryoko and Ayeka, maybe some of the other girls showing up as other teachers along with Tenchi.

I don’t blame anyone for not being too pleased at this announcement, but Negishi’s involvement alone has gotten me very excited to see what will be coming.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Tenchi as a teacher.

What could possibly go wrong? ooohhh

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

Tenchi as a teacher.

What could possibly go wrong? ooohhh

Lol, we’ve already got several jokes going on that front. My favorite is Nil’s idea for the unofficial series sub-title: “Tenchi Muyo Love: Hot For Teacher!” 😆

julia
      Didn’t I say teaching was the sexiest profession? ;)
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

julia wrote:

Didn’t I say teaching was the sexiest profession? ;)

Writing that one down….

LOL

Deep breath, regain composure, aaaaaand go!

Well, through various chats and posts here and elsewhere over the years, many if not all of us have wished and wondered about Tenchi being brought back, re-vamped or rebooted for a new generation. I was always a member of the enthusiastic camp of “what if?” or “wouldn’t that be something?” for some reason never really picturing the reality–even after hearing the initial anouncement of Ai Tenchi Muyo!

Now it’s staring me right in the face, and I’m dumbstruck. I literally don’t know how to feel about this–I mean, I’m excited (nay, ecstatic) about it, and genuinely looking forward to it, but it’s almost too much to take in at once (maybe I should have let this settle for, oh I don’t know, at least five minutes before writing a post but screw it). Negishi directing? Stellar. Yasuda as a character designer? He’s one of the best currently in the biz. But I imagine I feel like the first chaps who accidentally mixed their peanut butter and chocolate together…two wonderful things brought together, but so many thoughts spring to mind: what is this? How do I feel about this? How should I feel about this? Is it right, or is it wrong? A glorious step in evolution, or an unholy chimera? What have we wrought??????

*splash of cold water to the face

What? Who? Yes, I’m here…wow, I mighta suffered heat stroke today, ladies and gents. The shortened (sane) version of what I’m trying to say is my mind has been blown from what I suspect will be pure amesomeness, and hopefully I can pick up the pieces in time for when this bad boy actually sets sail.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwGQ_w9lgHw[/BBvideo]

I’m going to take this with the blue stuff in the trunk of my car a grain a bullet to my cranium a whole box of Kosher salt. I knew this wasn’t going to be canon, but I didn’t think they’d bring back the director of a non-canon series for this. And I didn’t think they’d borrow heavily from another character design either. On top of this, no recurring characters have been hinted at aside from Tenchi.

So what do I expect?

Not much anymore. I’m sure you’re all excited, but I feel like I was led with a carrot and hit with a stick. I expected to have some familiar faces teaching me about Japan, but now I have super excitable student council sword girl and pain angel cave girl to look forward to. I’m used to being jerked around with this series, but I should know better than to expect something genuine from this.

My Gif folder is not large enough to express my distaste for this news. So I’ll try to summarize my feeling in just one the best I can.

http://i.imgur.com/yNtg5MV.gif" />

Nil Admirari
      none

Ryoko’s Stepdad wrote:

I’m going to take this with the blue stuff in the trunk of my car a grain a bullet to my cranium a whole box of Kosher salt. I knew this wasn’t going to be canon, but I didn’t think they’d bring back the director of a non-canon series for this. And I didn’t think they’d borrow heavily from another character design either. On top of this, no recurring characters have been hinted at aside from Tenchi.

So what do I expect?

Not much anymore. I’m sure you’re all excited, but I feel like I was led with a carrot and hit with a stick. I expected to have some familiar faces teaching me about Japan, but now I have super excitable student council sword girl and pain angel cave girl to look forward to. I’m used to being jerked around with this series, but I should know better than to expect something genuine from this.

My Gif folder is not large enough to express my distaste for this news. So I’ll try to summarize my feeling in just one the best I can.

http://i.imgur.com/yNtg5MV.gif" />

It’s still fairly early to call, though I have to admit I’m not really feeling the designs of the new characters. There’s still two more weeks til Kaji’s booth at Comiket, and i’m betting we’ll see an info dump either as a side-doujin from him (alongside another -If- style doujin and 14.8) or on the site in conjunction with his releases.

At that, I think AIC is not that insane to fund a Tenchi show without at least a few of the original girls. Ryoko/Ayeka at home, Sasami at school being taught by Tenchi, Mihoshi as a teacher as she appeared in Universe and In Love, Washu as director of the Science club, etc. Or hell, having them as students as well along with our two new characters. I think this may be a really weird way for them to bring the new girls up front before revealing the new girls, as a Tenchi show without at least the core of Ryoko/Ayeka feels like show suicide. And AIC really can’t afford that.

We’ll have to wait and see though. Totally understand you feeling bummed out though, man.

Anonymous

Ryoko’s Stepdad wrote:

I’m going to take this with the blue stuff in the trunk of my car a grain a bullet to my cranium a whole box of Kosher salt. I knew this wasn’t going to be canon, but I didn’t think they’d bring back the director of a non-canon series for this.

Why wouldn’t they? Ai Tenchi Muyo from the beginning was being touted as a “celebration of the franchise”, naturally it wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility to bring back a big director who was a big part of that franchise. Plus they could do what they did with Kajishima’s name and use it as a marketing gimmick, it’s a win-win.

Ryoko’s Stepdad wrote:

And I didn’t think they’d borrow heavily from another character design either. On top of this, no recurring characters have been hinted at aside from Tenchi.

It’s only the first day that the website went live, 90% of it isn’t even live yet, they went with the new girls first because naturally, no one is going to care about the new characters at all if they just start with the girls, and the classic girls will be in the series, there are PLENTY of spots left on that home page to announce them.

And while Lum certainly made the tigerskin look famous, she’s not the only character allowed to wear tigerskin, and the look of the new girl is based on the description of a japanese ogre, to play on much the same way that Ryoko shares many similarities to that of the Japanese Oni.

Nil Admirari wrote:

At that, I think AIC is not that insane to fund a Tenchi show without at least a few of the original girls. Ryoko/Ayeka at home, Sasami at school being taught by Tenchi, Mihoshi as a teacher as she appeared in Universe and In Love, Washu as director of the Science club, etc. Or hell, having them as students as well along with our two new characters. I think this may be a really weird way for them to bring the new girls up front before revealing the new girls, as a Tenchi show without at least the core of Ryoko/Ayeka feels like show suicide. And AIC really can’t afford that.

I’m still clinging on to the hope they bring back the classic characters, even in some way as you suggest. My concern is five minutes per episode isn’t much and leads me to believe it might turn out to be some sort of Go! Go! Nippon! thing where the focus is misleading; I think you’d get more mileage out of using the established characters instead of forcing onto us these new, obviously quickly shat out newcomers.

Dagon123 wrote:

Ai Tenchi Muyo from the beginning was being touted as a “celebration of the franchise”

I won’t put it past them to do what Crapcom did with Mega Man’s 25th anniversary by essentially authorizing a Fan game and saying it celebrates the franchise, aka without them putting forth any actual effort. I’ll reserve further judgement when the anime starts to air and I can see what they put forth as a celebration of the series, and hopefully not just a sort of quick cash in on the name and license. I’d like to see a potential spark of interest in a new canon series or OVA lines. I feel the future of the series hinges on this, and so far I’m skeptical as to what this announcement is leading to.

Anonymous

Ryoko’s Stepdad wrote:

I won’t put it past them to do what Crapcom did with Mega Man’s 25th anniversary by essentially authorizing a Fan game and saying it celebrates the franchise, aka without them putting forth any actual effort. I’ll reserve further judgement when the anime starts to air and I can see what they put forth as a celebration of the series, and hopefully not just a sort of quick cash in on the name and license… I feel the future of the series hinges on this, and so far I’m skeptical as to what this announcement is leading to.

While we don’t have anything physical other than pictures, the fact that Inoue is producing again and now owns AIC, Kajishima signed off on it, they hired a well known modern anime designer to bring in new fans and bring tenchi into the modern era, and went through the effort to bring Negishi back after being dormant for 8 years says to me they are putting way more effort into this then the initial concept warranted. They want this to be good as they possibly can given the format.

julia
      I THOUGHT OF LUM, TOO
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Dagon123 wrote:

the fact that Inoue is producing again and now owns AIC

Where are you pulling this from?

Miura owns AIC ls&b.

Anonymous

Nobuyuki wrote:

Dagon123 wrote:

the fact that Inoue is producing again and now owns AIC

Where are you pulling this from?

Miura owns AIC ls&b.

Yep, thanks for pointing that out, had the 2 mixed up.

WisperG
      Super exciting news! kiyonesmile1

I’m impressed they brought Negishi out of his 8-year… retirement? That definitely instills some confidence.

I’m not a huge fan of Yasuda’s works or his design style, but I think he’s done a good job here. I especially like how Tenchi turned out. He looks different, but still recognizable as Tenchi. I don’t love the new girl’s designs (they feel very run-of-the-mill design-wise), but they certainly don’t look bad.

I’m a bit iffy on what these two new girls could mean though. The tough oni girl and the seemingly prim and proper one. That sounds awfully familiar. In the back of my mind I’m a bit worried these two are replacements for Ryoko and Ayeka. But I know, like Dagon said, that the production company should be well aware that a Tenchi series without two of the franchise’s most popular characters is a very, very bad idea. I’m know I’m just being paranoid, but I can’t quite shake the feeling yet. Hopefully we’ll see more character reveals next week.

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      A lot of response to the first pictures from Ai Tenchi Muyo! has been negative, both in Japan and in the States. From what I have heard, these responses reduce to the following: “not my Tenchi” and “ruined forever”. To put this into perspective, I would like to describe the history of another fandom I frequent.

The Tenchi anime franchise if my first love for anime, but it is not my first love in animation. That would go to the Transformers franchise, which has gone through similar growing pains. The series has been rebuilt and reinvented numerous times since its inception in 1984, when the original “G1” cartoon aired. However, many incarnations were met with strife and fan uproar when the series content in any way deviated from G1.

The first really notable case of this perspective was the CG series Beast Wars created by Mainframe Entertainment, the same studio that did ReBoot. This series showed a drastic change in content where the cast members changed from robots to animals. Many old fans reacted very badly to this design choice, coining the phrase “Trukk not Munky”. Moreover, the franchise was labelled as “ruined FOREVER”. Older fans demanded the their “GEEWUN”, all the classic characters and settings they liked and found familiar. Worse yet, they regarded anyone who did not like the G1 continuity not a “true fan”.

However, Beast Wars took chances and advanced the series, introducing new concepts and characters that have now become mainstays in the series proper. Also, new fans awoke to the Transformers franchise and began to delve into the larger mythos and multiverse. The series was not ruined forever. It was resurrected from obscurity. To some, including myself, this series is beloved along side G1.

Another notable series was Transformers Animated. This show aired on Cartoon Network shortly after the first Michael Bay film was released, and shared some similarities in character origins and designs. Some people, including myself at first, thought it was just a cash-in on the film. The older fans did not like the radically comical art style, done by the same studio as the Teen Titans animated series. Again, the series was ruined FOREVER. Outcries for GEEWUN bellowed from the hilltops. Anyone who liked it was not a true fan.

But, Transformers Animated paid homages to virtually every incarnation of the franchise existing at the time. It was a reboot and a reinvention that held true to its roots, acknowledging and using the greater mythos. Moreover, it notably grew increasingly more mature and had season-long story arcs, appealing to the older and wider fandom. They even got back classic voice talent from the previous different series to reprise their roles, most notably Susan Blu, the original G1 Arcee. By the end of its three seasons, Transformers Animated was arguably a celebration of the franchise.

Turning back to Tenchi, the anime franchise has been “ruined FOREVER” numerous times. Universe was a reinvention of OVA series 1. Tokyo had a new art style and more slapstick approach, not to mention Sakuya’s introduction. GXP had Nabeshin’s direction and taste in humor, as well as following Kajishima’s canon. OVA series 3 continued Kajishima’s canon and pushed many of the main girls to the side in favor of GXP cameos. Seikishi had little to do with the fate of Tenchi and his household. Also, Tenchi has its own collective of people who believe they are “true fans”.

Now, Ai Tenchi Muyo! has released with new artwork and some brief hints at characterization, and little else. Already, the franchise is “ruined FOREVER”. I do not believe this any more than I did when GXP or OVA series 3 was released. Tenchi fandom is, in my opinion, no different from the Transformers fandom. There is a knee-jerk reaction to anything different, or “non-canon”, being bad and ruining to the franchise. That is not true. Each of the “ruined FOREVER” series I listed above for Tenchi have their fans and have lead new fans to the brand. Are all of them your personal taste? No, and I do not believe they have to be. Just like with Transformers, the series needs new blood to stay fresh and relevant. Change is inevitable, regardless of those who hold it back. Masaki Tenchi will not stay the 17-year-old high school student forever any more than Optimus stayed a truck.

Will Ai be a financial success, where other recent Tenchi series have not? I do not know yet, but I am willing to give it a chance. It has some fantastic talent already in Negishi and Yasuda. Even if the voice actors are not the same, I will withhold judgement until the series airs. I owe my favorite anime at least one run. If anything, I hold out hope that Ai will be the analogue of Transformers Animated.

SnowQueen
      Well I’m gonna sound like a broken record at this point but I have mix-feelings about this. I really like the art style I say Tenchi looks good but I am worried how the others are going to look IF the other are even involved. It’s to early to say and to bash something you know little about is unfair and pointless but I hope these girls aren’t going to be Ryoko and Ayeka replacements instead of having the real girls in the series just make carbon copies of them instead but like I said and like others have said it’s way to early to say and I still got my hopes up and I’m excited to see more news!
      The only criticism I have is why they give Tenchi glasses? They make him look a bit odd.

AFAIG:I have no problem with the two new female characters.They look like they could hold their own against the likes of Aeka and Ryoko.

Though I would really love to see the one with the club really get into it with Ryoko! soawesome1

And there has to be something about a pink haired girl with a sword.

So for now I am saying nay to the naysayers and predicting this will be totally soawesome1 soawesome1 soawesome1 .

Yosho24
      Kiyofacepalm1
      Crazed
      none
      Here’s what the new introduction says on the site.

Quote:

Tenchi is the teacher for these high school girls!?

Once again, Washu has caused one of the worlds largest predicaments!

In order to save the world from danger Tenchi must discreetly disguise himself as a student teacher at the all girls love high school.

Naturally, Tenchi getting this new job will cause him a lot of problems….

evilpii
      Participant
      none

Crazed wrote:

Here’s what the new introduction says on the site.

Quote:

Tenchi is the teacher for these high school girls!?

Once again, Washu has caused one of the worlds largest predicaments!

In order to save the world from danger Tenchi must discreetly disguise himself as a student teacher at the all girls love high school.

Naturally, Tenchi getting this new job will cause him a lot of problems….

Dammit, Washu. tenchiahhhhhh It seems that Tenchi’s doing some world-saving after all, and it’s Washu’s fault. gendo1 While I am a bit disappointed in not seeing the classic girls listed, I am pleased to see Washu’s named dropped in the description and that there is an overarching plot. fyeah1 The new girls haven’t grown on me yet, but I will be giving them a chance once the show premieres. butts1

So are those horns on Hachiko’s head and why?
      WisperG
      To appease Chuck’s curiosity, I ran Hachiko (my favorite of the bunch) through my translation software. Here are some basic things I pulled from it, which may not be entirely accurate. I’m sure Crazed will have much better translations (likely in complete sentences!) by the end of the day, but in the meantime…

Hachiko

– Member of the student council

– In charge of the (the council’s?) “fighting power.”

– Chivalrous, brave and ambitious.

– Likes pink things (thanks, Julia!)

I may update this post with a few more later, but probably won’t get to all of them before Crazed does his thing lol

WisperG

mitsuki lover wrote:

They look like dog ears to me. She may be some kind of InuYasha-like dog demon.

SnowQueen
      Sorry to say but I am disappointed by this. the characters look so generic and just replacements of the original girls and the plot it sounds like a carbon copy of Date A Live. I know I shouldn’t judge it till I see it or bash it but I’m disappointed that the REAL tenchi girls don’t look like they aren’t going to get any spot light. How sad.
      Nil Admirari
      none
      Breakdown for each of the girls:

Quote:

Kurihara Ukan

“Sophomore turf!” Teacher.

She has the duty of becoming a guide to Tenchi, having been a teacher before him. She uses a whip to coach the students.

Quote:

Fuka Yuki

Science club director.

Quick-tempered and unyielding.

She aims to seek the treasure circulating around the Junai academy. She thinks of herself as a rival……to the student council.

Quote:

Fueyama Touri

Clerk of the Student Council. Responsible for the brains.

Her wisdom overflows. In any situation she can preserve her sanity, retains her coolness and doesn’t panic. Her school record is very good, for a first year student.

Quote:

Aoi Rui

Science club member. A shy, timid girl.

With a rather large body, her hunger is unusual.

She has some unsavory ties with her childhood friend, Fuka.

Quote:

Saryu Hana

Student Council Treasurer. Responsible for leadership. Plenty of sex appeal.

Contrary to her fickle appearance, she is trained in Aikido.

Keeps a broad outlook, easily grasps the situation and can get a good read on the matters at hand.

Quote:

Hachiko

Student council auditor. Responsible for fighting power.

A rather chivalrous spirit with ambition, she’s mainly just courageous. She loves Momo. Anyone who gets close to Momo is an enemy to her.

Nil Admirari
      none
      Hi ANN~

It’s interesting to see their mentioning of the legend of Momotaro and the new characters’ similarities to characters from that story. Specifically, Washu overhears Nobuyuki telling Sasami the tale at the very end of the first Hasegawa novel. It is most likely unrelated, due to the popularity of the tale, but a funny little thing either way.

Also, glad to hear Washu getting namedropped, especially as the source of the new chaos. If she’s there, the other girls should be to some degree or another.

TheFrieza
      Hmm, interesting. I quite like the bio’s of some of these new characters, I look forward to seeing more of this :) thanks for the updated info.
      WisperG

Quote:

Hachiko

Student council auditor. Responsible for fighting power.

A rather chivalrous spirit with ambition, she’s mainly just courageous. She loves Momo. Anyone who gets close to Momo is an enemy to her.

Ah, I see Momo is a name here, and wasn’t meant to be translated as “pink.”

Guess I shouldn’t be surprised though. You can’t have an anime about an all-girl’s school without the token lesbian 🙄

Nobuyuki
      Participant

WisperG wrote:

mitsuki lover wrote:

They look like dog ears to me. She may be some kind of InuYasha-like dog demon.

> Hachiko

> dog ears

> loyal to Momo

Nice touch. ;)

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

SnowQueen wrote:

Sorry to say but I am disappointed by this. the characters look so generic and just replacements of the original girls and the plot it sounds like a carbon copy of Date A Live. I know I shouldn’t judge it till I see it or bash it but I’m disappointed that the REAL tenchi girls don’t look like they aren’t going to get any spot light. How sad.

I share some similar sentiments. Overall I’m still excited for the new series, and they haven’t given me enough of a reason for me to withdraw from my usual “don’t knock it til ya try it” policy; but Snow, you literally took a few choice words out of my mouth with things like “generic” and “disappointed” but that’s me being brutally honest.

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w609/Why_Crazed/Tenchi/UkanKurihara_zps128fd0be.png" />

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/mitsuru_ref_zps90c95bda.jpg" />

….eeeeeehhhhhh…. :-?

(insert “Not Sure If”.jpeg here)

With what little we know currently, now I’m developing an inkling of a mindset “this is too catering to ‘new’ anime fans” but we’ll see. I’m still of the opinion that as far as announcing new details goes, they are decidedly getting the new girls out of the way to try to minimize the expected knee-jerk misoneism. If they focus on fundamentals–Tenchi and the girls, not the girls–and don’t end up with some hair-brained situation of Tenchi “getting” ALL the (new) girls (of course, rom-com antics along the way are to be expected and more than welcomed) Negishi can pull this off.

EDIT: on a much more positive note, congrats on the well-deserved shoutout, Mr. Crazed, and thank you once again for doing the leg work.

Ah…I see…thanks Nobuyuki.Though they do look like horns in the sample image than ears,or it could be the way I was looking at them.

I like the description of Hachiko has being chivalrous. iloveit1

Now we need a pic of Momo.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

Now we need a pic of Momo.

Dude… page 9.

Anonymous
      Otaku USA just did an article on it

New Tenchi Muyo Series Details Revealed | Otaku USA

http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/Uploads/Public/Images/Newsletter/08-25-14/tenchi01.jpg" />

Ok,I guess I missed that or it didn’t register.So Momo’s the one with the sword.Though overall it looks like Hachiko

so far is the coolest. soawesome1

Nil Admirari
      none
      The girls are here.

http://i.imgur.com/q5RyHks.png" />

http://i.imgur.com/AMNf6me.jpg" />

Profiles soon.

julia
      Sasami’s outfit is ok but I dont’ really like the other’s. but I’m excited to see them!
      Kiyami
      Participant
      none
      Well at least Washu is cute :)

I think Mihoshi’s boots would look better on someone else though.

How exactly will this promote tourism? Sex sells?

Still can’t wait to see this ^_^

Nil Admirari
      none
      http://i.minus.com/iur1ZDSvJOUel.jpg" />

Ryoko

柾木神社に封印されていた伝説の鬼。

宝玉に秘められた強力なエネルギーを使い、さまざまな能力を発揮する。 短気でヮガママ。

The legendary demon who was sealed up in the Masaki Shrine. She has powerful energy stored in her secret gems, and can execute various abilities using them. She has a rather short temper.

http://i.minus.com/iwGH61XMEvQMD.jpg" />

Aeka/Ayeka

樹雷星の第1皇女。行方不明の許嫁を捜して地球までやつてきた。 気品があり、穏やかな性格だが、怒らせると怖い。

家事が壊滅的に苦手。

The first princess of Jurai, she’s come to earth looking for her missing fiance. Graceful and mild-mannered by nature, however once she becomes angered, she is extremely frightening. She’s devastatingly bad at doing housework.

http://i.minus.com/ibgtKlnYApppQR.jpg" />

Sasami

阿重霞の妹。樹雷星の第二皇女。無邪気で明るい性格。 阿重霞と対照的に家事が得意で、

柾木家の家事全般を担当している。

The younger sister of Ayeka, second princess of Jurai. She has an innocent and cheerful personality. Her skill in housework, in comparison to Ayeka’s especially, is very good. Because of this, she’s taken charge of the Masaki home’s housework by herself.

http://i.minus.com/il4TTsj71XK7r.jpg" />

Wasyu/Washu

科学ァヵデミー出身の自称「宇宙1の天才科学者」。 容姿は幼いが、実は2万年以上も生きている。

天地に興味津々。

The science academy’s self-designated “Number one Genius Scientist in the Universe”. Though she appears to be very young, she’s actually been alive for 20,000 years or more. She finds herself fascinated with Tenchi.

http://i.minus.com/iiCQfzRrXmsws.jpg" />

Mihoshi

ギヤラクシ1ポリスのー級刑事。偶然の天才で、

本人の意志とは関わりなく飛んでもない方向へ進むことが多い。

Detective First Class in the Galaxy Police. She’s got a natural gift for accidents, many crazy and unthinkable things occur around her against her will.

jgzinv
      I have more an issue with the clothing looking like intimate wear than the character designs. Ryoko’s head in the group pic is disproportionate to her body. But it seems to be that one image only.

On to the story…

Nil Admirari
      none
      Some of the girls appear to have some kind of elemental markings on them, perhaps as a signal to their fighting style? Ryoko has a flame on her chest, Ayeka has some blue lines so… perhaps wind/water? Sasami has a shield on her chest so perhaps she’s a defender of some type, though her staggered yellow boots make me think of lightning. Washu and Mihoshi don’t appear to have any specific markings, though I did laugh at the nametag rather hastily clipped onto Mihoshi’s uniform.
      Anonymous
      Something, something, “Celebration of the Franchise”

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/i_told_you_so_stephen_colbert.gif" />

SnowQueen
      WANT1 …….

From disappointed to excited again my feelings for this just keeps going all over the place. I really like the design of the girls! I’m loving the new outfits though they look like lingerie their sexy enough to pull it off so who cares! Only complaint is the marking on ayeka is cool but its a bit much but that’s no big deal because OMG THE ORIGINAL GIRLS!!! soawesome1

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Kiyami wrote:

I think Mihoshi’s boots would look better on someone else though.

Why, whomever could you mean?

rtil
      i have mixed feelings about these designs. i’m interested to see how they translate to animation cels.
      Cardboard Marty
      Participant
      none
      GAH! The hype-o-meter is back at regular levels!

I definitely love the designs for Ryoko and Washu. I was never a fan of Washu’s design but now I totally dig it. What they did with Ryoko’s hair is really cool, an attempt at making it look quasi-realistic while retaining it’s characteristics. Everybody else looks pretty normal, in fact the only redesign I could care less about is Mihoshi, but I know that outfit is almost straight from the OVA (I didn’t like it there either!).

Definitely wondering what the mark on Ryoko’s chest and Ayeka’s leg mean. Hey, anything to give them more story relevance!

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Marty Kirra wrote:

I definitely love the designs for Ryoko and Washu. I was never a fan of Washu’s design but now I totally dig it. What they did with Ryoko’s hair is really cool, an attempt at making it look quasi-realistic while retaining it’s characteristics. Everybody else looks pretty normal, in fact the only redesign I could care less about is Mihoshi, but I know that outfit is almost straight from the OVA (I didn’t like it there either!).

Didn’t like original designs? dawohki1 Sad face. But it’s cool, your opinion is your own.

Marty Kirra wrote:

Definitely wondering what the mark on Ryoko’s chest and Ayeka’s leg mean. Hey, anything to give them more story relevance!

Hmm…I got it!
      [BBvideo 425,350]http://youtu.be/pJUgCzEdx9k[/BBvideo]

& for my own two cents, the outfits are cool, look a lil’ too skimpy to just be wearin out n’ about (prob not their classroom attire…if they end up in a classroom, that is). The designs themselves for the characters are pretty much how I imagined for years “what would happen if Tenchi became modernized?” (given the current anime climate) and I think they’re pretty rockin. Can’t touch the originals (but how could they?) but I feel like I’m getting a fresh take on familiar favorites.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

a fresh take on familiar favorites.

Like Star Trek.

drillmaster
      Here I thought this was going to be just a random show trying to appeal to the Tenchi brand name. Nope, we got the entire main cast back! (I can’t speak for Katsuhito or Nobuyuki, but we KNOW Ryo-Ohki will show up.) The bios seem to be based off of the OAV 1 so that is always good. The one thing I can’t get behind is the overly sexualized designs of the characters. It seems like half of the new cast are in their panties. Thats…a bit unsettling for high schoolers.

Color me interested.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

It seems like half of the new cast are in their panties.

Color me interested.

^ What I read. 😈

Cardboard Marty
      Participant
      none

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Didn’t like original designs? dawohki1 Sad face. But it’s cool, your opinion is your own.

I didn’t dislike them with an intense hatred or anything, more like a “meh”.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

The designs themselves for the characters are pretty much how I imagined for years “what would happen if Tenchi became modernized?” (given the current anime climate) and I think they’re pretty rockin. Can’t touch the originals (but how could they?) but I feel like I’m getting a fresh take on familiar favorites.

Pretty much this! I really like the fresh take, but it definitely doesn’t save the new girls from seeming, dare I say, ~anime generic~. I always liked Tenchi because Tenchi just looked like a normal, typical Japanese guy, and all these ladies with different hair colors and such set them apart from any of the humans that appeared on Earth. Now we’ve got a whole school of SUPER ANIME LADIES running around in their underwear, so…yay?

Sparkle
      Hey all!

So I’ve been a Tenchi Fan for ages (been on this forum since like… 2009? I dont remember ha!) but I was sorta out the loop with tenchi news recently. I’ve looked into this but I can’t find answers to a few questions-is this a sort of spin off series like gxp? or is it more like,universe or tokyo with a whole new story?

Thank youuu!!

Nil Admirari
      none

Sparkle wrote:

Hey all!

So I’ve been a Tenchi Fan for ages (been on this forum since like… 2009? I dont remember ha!) but I was sorta out the loop with tenchi news recently. I’ve looked into this but I can’t find answers to a few questions-is this a sort of spin off series like gxp? or is it more like,universe or tokyo with a whole new story?

Thank youuu!!

While the basic character profiles seem to be originating around the OVA storylines (Big hint being Ryoko’s profile as it claims she was the “Demon trapped in the cave”), this seems to be an alternate spinoff from that rather than a continuation. So yeah, I’d expect it to be an Alternate Universe ordeal similar to Tokyo/Universe.

Welcome back to the forum, by the way! kiyonesmile1

Sparkle

Nil Admirari wrote:

Sparkle wrote:

Hey all!

Thank youuu!!

While the basic character profiles seem to be originating around the OVA storylines (Big hint being Ryoko’s profile as it claims she was the “Demon trapped in the cave”), this seems to be an alternate spinoff from that rather than a continuation. So yeah, I’d expect it to be an Alternate Universe ordeal similar to Tokyo/Universe.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Ah, so I guess we wont really know until the series is released? It’s late September or something right?

Nil Admirari
      none

Sparkle wrote:

Nil Admirari wrote:

Sparkle wrote:

Hey all!

Thank youuu!!

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Ah, so I guess we wont really know until the series is released? It’s late September or something right?

Mid to late October, airing on Tokyo MX. There’s already a planned DVD release for Japan as well, though no word on if Funimation is working to bring it stateside.

Sparkle
      Cardboard Marty
      Participant
      none
      I’m sure we’ll get soooomething from Funimation on it, eventually. I’m really curious about the dub possibility, mostly because I really want to see the OG English cast return. C’MON FUNIMATION.
      It will probably have to do with just how popular it is in Japan and how well it does on wheter or not it gets licensed outside.

Though I wonder if at the last moment they might decide to do a Sailor Moon and make it avaible streaming on the internet.

Anonymous

Marty Kirra wrote:

I’m sure we’ll get soooomething from Funimation on it, eventually. I’m really curious about the dub possibility, mostly because I really want to see the OG English cast return. C’MON FUNIMATION.

I think this is wholly going to be on whether the Japanese voice cast returns, because if they don’t, Funimation will just pull a GITS: Arise and say “Well since the Japanese redubbed it, we are too”

Well there is the fact that GITS:ARISE is a prequel and so you would expect a younger cast for most of the

characters.Except didn’t Aramaki’s VA die?

It would all depend if the original dub cast for Tenchi:

1)were still avaible to revise their roles

2)were eager and ready to do so

3)Funi wanted them.

You know just because a VA is willing and avaible don’t mean Funi wants them.

I’m really excited about the new Tenchi series! :D It wasn’t what I really expected…but it still seems to be awesome. I’m glad some of the classic characters are back. Kind of sad they didn’t bring back Kiyone Makibi though /: That would have been epic there :) I’m assuming they have revealed all of the characters. I guess there is a possibility she is in it but not yet revealed, but I think that is unlikely.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

It would all depend if the original dub cast for Tenchi:

1)were still avaible to revise their roles

2)were eager and ready to do so

3)Funi wanted them.

You know just because a VA is willing and avaible don’t mean Funi wants them.

Your right ML, in this case however we can cross off one and two, as we’ve heard firsthand from Matt and Petrea they’re willing and able.

It’s a matter of how secure Funi would feel if they could make a good enough profit financially. I’m a little skeptical about Funi ‘going the distance’ to get the alumni back (assuming it gets dubbed, that is, not just picked up) but they have the track record of OVA3/GXP to go off of now. Since the reception to their dubs were very much less-than savory, maybe they’ll rethink their approach to this nostalgia mine they’ve gone through the trouble of reacquiring in totality.

I agree about the “if/then” scenario with regards to the Japanese end: if we want even a chance of dub VA’s returning, the original cast would have to return, otherwise Funi’s got the out they need to not go through the ‘extra effort’ to get, say, Petrea back.

I’m glad you said that about Petrea as I know most if not all dubfans would love to have her back as Ryoko.Though her and Matt being willing to come back doesn’t mean that Funi would want to have them back. I mean look at the

controversy over them not re-casting Amanda Winn Lee as Rei/Pen Pen in the Eva remakes,even though she

seemed willing and ready to do so.

But again we’re back to the ‘If/Then’ situation since we won’t know how well it will do in Japan yet.We don’t even

know if it would be Funimation that would even get the licensing rights to the new series even if it were available.

This is just all speculation at this point since Funi has the rights to the rest of the franchise.So we need to wait and see what happens before getting too excited.

In the meantime let’s keep our fingers crossed.

Kiyami
      Participant
      none
      The website for Ai Tenchi has been updated. Masami Kikuchi, Ai Orikasa and I think the others are reprising their roles. It also lists the rest of the voice cast.

http://www.ai-tenchi.jp/cast_staff/index.html

http://www.ai-tenchi.jp/

New visuals too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxVHbxECEAAFfHM.jpg:small" />

http://www.ai-tenchi.jp/images/top/visual_popup.png" />

Ai Tenchi’s twitter:

愛・天地無用! ‏@ai_tenchi

【キャスト】愛・天地無用!キャストも発表です!!主人公、天地は菊池正美さん、川流もも役は東山奈央さんです!

その他のキャストは是非公式HPにてご確認ください!!

Anonymous
      http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/Untitled-2_zpsdbe74dc5.png" />

RIGHT SIDE:

Ryoko: Ai Orikasa

Aeka: Haruhi Terada

Sasami: Chisa Yokoyama

Mihoshi: Yuko Mizutani

Washu: Yuko Kobayashi

LEFT SIDE:

Tenchi Masaki: Masami Kikuchi

Momo Kawanagare: Nao Tōyama

Beni Kinojyou: Taichi Yo

Hachiko: Yuki Kana

Hana Saryu: (M.A.O) Mao Ichimichi

Touri Fueyama: Ai Fukada

Yuki Fuka: Azusa Satou

Rui Aoi: Rui Tanabe

Ukan Kurihara: Ayako Kawasumi

Lots of great voices in here, sad to here the original Ayeka won’t be coming back

jgzinv
      Can we cross reference this with the english vas these typically get replaced by if they have previous works?
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Dagon123 wrote:

Marty Kirra wrote:

I think this is wholly going to be on whether the Japanese voice cast returns, because if they don’t, Funimation will just pull a GITS: Arise and say “Well since the Japanese redubbed it, we are too”

The ball is in the dubber’s court, now. fyeah1

If they (Funimation or whoever) are smart, they’ve got my money. If they’re not, they won’t. See how simple that is?

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

The website for Ai Tenchi has been updated.

I approve this message.

Anonymous
      Bring Back The Original English Cast of Tenchi Muyo! – IPetition

Let’s get some steam behind this one!

Good to see that both Orikasa Ai and Yokoyama Chisa are reprising their roles as Ryoko and Sasami respectively. kiyonesmile1
      SnowQueen
      That’s sad that Ayeka’s voice actor isn’t coming back T^T but I’m still getting more pumped for the series and the final designs are just amazing! mmhmm1
      Nil Admirari
      none
      Really glad to see them get almost every Seiyuu back, wonder why they were unable to secure Ayeka’s… Even still, really liking the way these final designs are looking. Way more polished than the quick sketch-outs we were shown weeks ago. The added facial expressions was a great touch, lets you see more aspects of the characters. Now let’s get that trailer!

The background with all of the characters looks great, too.

http://i.minus.com/iFJGF9xq8UitI.jpg" />

highgear56
      Only way I’m watching this is if Petrea came back as Ryoko!
      Nil Admirari
      none
      Seems like some fliers are making their way around the town:

http://i.imgur.com/GD6N4b2.jpg" />

Looks great enough so far to be Kiyone approved! kiyonesmile1 kiyonesmile1 kiyonesmile1 kiyonesmile1 kiyonesmile1
      I believe I’ve held this off for a while now, but why the rattail? Why?!

Sure it might be a characteristic to Tenchi himself, but so was Washu’s hair resembling a crab, which was obviously thrown out the window for her character redesign.

I was hoping to see something more along the lines of his older appearance in Tenchi Forever! Also, how Sasami appeared in that certain Kamidake Onsen story, although Kajishima’s drawing style is completely different on paper.

jgzinv
      Cause it’s another crew doing the production, it’s a fresh take on everything, and KM’s not really involved?
      Read a synopsis of the new series at Absoulte Anime website yesterday.So the whole thing is Washu’s fault?

And Tenchi has to pretend to be a teacher to stop the Universe from going Ka-Blooey? wth2

Is there not some connection to Mihoshi being Mihoshi somewhere here that wasn’t mentioned?

rtil
      anyone know if any fansub group is picking this up?
Viewing 163 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.