Tenchi Muyo: The Toonami Version

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Tenchi Muyo: The Toonami Version

• This topic is empty.
    So most folks know there’s SlimD716V2 on youtube making the 1080P (well sort of) versions of the Toonami promos and so forth by using the DVDs. The Love Stinks one particularly was made from the Toonami Digital Arsenal .mov recorded VHS source. So the audio was pretty wonky.

So I hunted down a better audio source, recombined the files… and you have the remastered edition.

(Yes I’m aware of what “masters” are… but hey it sounds better :Tenchismile: )

Enjoy!

[BBvideo 572,312]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48IK73SnqhU[/BBvideo]

Here’s some of the UK promos too, (not remastered)

http://www.toonamiarsenal.com/features/toonamiuk/index.html

Viewing 133 reply threads
  • Replies
      I noticed in that one scene toward the end where Aeka and Ryoko are wearing school uniforms that for some reason Aeka’s was shorter.You’d think it be the other way around.And Green?It looked more like

a kilt than a school uniform.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I noticed in that one scene toward the end where Aeka and Ryoko are wearing school uniforms that for some reason Aeka’s was shorter.You’d think it be the other way around.And Green?It looked more like

a kilt than a school uniform.

That is most likely the Pretty Sammy world in the Time and Space Adventures episodes, hence their difference in height could be chalked up to how Sasami sees things from her perspective, seeing as that world is based on her ideals.

Anyway, great job JG! This is something that really benefits not only all of us, but everyone in the extended Toonami family. We might see a whole new trend in “re-mastering” the old promos spring from this example. TenchiForum leading the way! :sign:

shadbomb77
      This promo still gives me goosebumps, this is great though!
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Superb Z man! & I agree chuck, with the likes of Slim, JG & others talented with such things, remastering of old Tenchi/Toonami promos will probably be an underground fad for a long time.

Also, very astute & interesting observations regarding Ayeka’s/Ryoko’s uniform skirt length, chuck, never thought about it like that (like ML, I too thought it a bit odd how, if one of them were to have the shorter skirt, you’d guess it would be Ryoko right off the bat)

Yep,Ryoko wouldn’t have such a fuss about the length of the hem of her skirt whereas Aeka might.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      So JG, just out of curiosity do you know if any of the other Tenchi promos, such as the 15 second character promos, are in need of this same treatment? If so, do you plan on “remastering” them? It would be sweet if we could have a collection of all of the toonami Tenchi promos right here on the forum, potentially under the “Watch” section up top.
      jgzinv
      Pretty much all of them need help far as I recall.

Didn’t have plans to do the others, you’d mostly have to find other recordings or videos that sound better and hope that it’s the same length. I lucked out here cause they were almost identical, I could just 1:1 transfer it over and not have to synch it all again.

Mainly this one as well is the most famous and we had thought about using it at the con panel, was why I did it. There’s several others besides the character specific ones.

If you’re bored grab freemake video converter, and a easy youtube video downloader, and go to town.

Rip the 1080p remake from the guy if he’s got one, save it, remove the audio track and save, find the better audio source, get the audio off it as a separate file save, resave the 1080p one with the new audio file.

Anonymous
      This thread is for talking about all things associated with the Toonami Version of Tenchi!

Watch on our facebook here!

Anonymous

Lighthawk93 wrote:

Would anyone happen to know where someone can watch the toonami edited version of the tenchi series?

When I get my hands on a few more dollars, you’ll be seeing it here…. :Cheeks:

Lighthawk93
      Wwwwhhhhoooo: that was the same video I found,

Dagon: you are the bomb man

Kiyoka
      Buy why would you want to see it? To laugh at it? isawitplz
      Lighthawk93
      The reason being is to watch it they way it came on when we all first saw the episodes. It has a nostalgic value to me and probabley to some other people as well. True, the unedited version is funny, but that wasn’t the tenchi we grew up watching. Know what I mean?
      Kiyoka
      Silly edits do not bring nostalgia back to me. The show does.
      Lighthawk93
      If it weren’t for toonami, we wouldn’t have know about the show. It brings back those memories of when we first saw it. Plus, it would be funny to see what was changed in the tv version.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      I think that it’s something worth having just for posterity’s sake. We can gather round with the new fans and act like old farts, telling them how back in our day they censored nudity and sexual inuendos.
      Lighthawk93
      Well said Chuck

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Good question. Pretty much what Thorn said, as far as I know. If you ever find a place let us know!

*side note: I’m trying to get onto the old site “Tenchi Muyo Another Universe” (TMAU!) but am unable to atm…is it just my bad internet, or is something seriously messed up here? http://tmau.fateback.com/” class=”bbcode_url”>http://tmau.fateback.com/

Here’s one such video I found on yt uploaded by some charitable soul (the quality isn’t very good, but hey I can’t believe they filmed it when it was on Toonami!)

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfGh2rm8z9o&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLiMX3_psJ4c3qST94M1TrDw[/BBvideo]

Listen to the edited dialogue…it’s hilarious to hear it again, how it was watered down for kids, and, imo, still not bad all things considering (the swimsuits are another story)

As well as the “endings” used. I believe I’ve posted this before…

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlZDrcj5sWM[/BBvideo]

Yet, using the opening as the ending and specifically that one song for the whole franchise made more of an impression on me as a kid for some reason.

I wish somebody had the voice for when Tenchi is offered “tea,” whereas his father and Yosho exclaim “It’s good for you!”

Thorn
      Was the “magic fingers” scene in the edited cut? If so, I would LOVE to see how the hell Cartoon Network edited that. If not, it still is hilarious to think of the possibilities.

Thorn wrote:

Was the “magic fingers” scene in the edited cut? If so, I would LOVE to see how the hell Cartoon Network edited that. If not, it still is hilarious to think of the possibilities.

Yes, and the dub as a whole was censored to an extent. Instead of some slang, Washu specifically offers various sexual acts in the original.

Thorn
      Oh, believe me, I’ve seen the subbed version of that scene. Hilarious is an understatement!
      ^Not as funny as the looks on everybody’s face when they were editing this show for Toonami. It’s like, “how are we supposed to make this kid-friendly?!”
      Anonymous

SilverWhisper wrote:

Yet, using the opening as the ending and specifically that one song for the whole franchise made more of an impression on me as a kid for some reason.

I made a statement similar to this in the “Alternate OP/ED’s” thread, having the series use the same BGM for everything really unified it (which worked both for Toonami and the fans) because the minute it came on, you were glued.

Lighthawk93
      I always wanted to watch it when the first promo came on. After I watched the first episode I wanted to watch the rest of the series because it was that good.
      Thorn
      ^ I feel the same way. The minute I saw that promo, I thought “I have to watch this” and then I was hooked on it.
      So something good came from it then,which would be why anyone would want to see it again in the first place.

It’s also funny that Toonami wanted to make a series that was aimed at an older audience ‘kid friendly’

in the first place.

Thorn
      Well…look at the unedited version of DBZ. That’s not very kid friendly either. There’s even more blood and violence, swearing, and sex jokes everywhere. I think they just knew that anime was marketable and wanted to find a way to air it.
      Kiyoka

Thorn wrote:

Well…look at the unedited version of DBZ. That’s not very kid friendly either. There’s even more blood and violence, swearing, and sex jokes everywhere. I think they just knew that anime was marketable and wanted to find a way to air it.

When I was little I watched all of DBZ unedited. I was unaware at the time of edits I belive ^^

I think the dumbest edit in Tenchi was the blood they took out in some scenes. THE dumbest was the removal of Kiyone’s small cut in Episode 24 (I think). Further prooved with Mihoshi bandaging her head later! :WUTH:

Thorn
      ^ and the removal of blood when Ryoko’s in Ryo-Ohki at the end and she “dies”. It’s the blood that tells us what the hell’s going on!
      Lighthawk93
      ^ very true
      Thorn
      I always just assumed she passed out and didn’t understand what the big deal was or why there was a close up of her arm until I saw TU uncut.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      That is bizarre, because even as a 9 year old, I clearly understood that she had either died or was very near death. Even without all the blood, I felt that the weight of that scene still hit home with full force, so much so that I was devastated and desperate to catch the remaining episodes to see if she survived. Ryo-Ohki’s shriek of despair is still pretty jarring and haunting to this day…
      Thorn
      Well yeah, I get that she was injured, but it wasn’t really made clear that it was more than just passing out in the edited cut with the exception of Ryo-Ohki’s shriek.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Thorn wrote:

Well yeah, I get that she was injured, but it wasn’t really made clear that it was more than just passing out in the edited cut with the exception of Ryo-Ohki’s shriek.

I don’t know how to explain it. You are right that the ONSCREEN evidence would indicate that she is merely injured, yet, for me at least, the context of her actions and the “spirit of 1000 knights” comment from azaka, combined with the overall feel and tone of the scene drove home that her life was slipping away and that she could very well have died.

Lighthawk93
      When you all watched the coming up next commercial for toonami, did you ever realise they showed ryoko and tenchi together at the cherry blossoms, like in the last few minutes of the last episode?
      Thorn

chucklocker wrote:

Thorn wrote:

I don’t know how to explain it. You are right that the ONSCREEN evidence would indicate that she is merely injured, yet, for me at least, the context of her actions and the “spirit of 1000 knights” comment from azaka, combined with the overall feel and tone of the scene drove home that her life was slipping away and that she could very well have died.

Yes, I understand that now that I’m older, but when I was younger I didn’t read quite as deeply into what I was watching.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Thorn wrote:

Yes, I understand that now that I’m older, but when I was younger I didn’t read quite as deeply into what I was watching.

I guess that means that I was just a smarter and more intuitive 9 year old than you were! :umad2:

Lol, JK! I definitely agree that the censor job clouds the significance of the scene and is an all around nuisance :Cheeks:

Lighthawk93
      It looks like like chuck and I were more intuitive as children watching the show. Chuck and light for the win, haha
      Thorn
      Actually, I’ve always been highly intuitive. It just hasn’t always been applied to all aspects of my daily life :D
      Lighthawk93
      Touche Thorn, touche
      I’ve only seen the un-edited version and read about the edits at Tenchi Muyo!Another Universe.
      Lighthawk93
      Hopefully you can watch the toonami edit one day ML.
      Thorn
      By the way, this is a bit off topic, but here’s the old Tenchi Muyo Toonami intro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oe8l96pAdQ&feature=related

WisperG
      Toonami always had the coolest intros/promos :D

Oh hey, I found a higher quality version of that TOM2 intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrKcTQ7lJwY&list=PLA033E559BD198D3D&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Also found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_0sRoBEzcI

A fanmade Tenchi Muyo in Love Toonami promo. If I didn’t know any better I’d think it was real 😮

Lighthawk93
      And how nostalgia takes over
      Thorn
      amgplz Holy crap, that DOES look like a real promo!
      Lighthawk93
      Did that movie ever come on toonami?
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      No, none of the movies did, but I wouldn’t blame someone for mistaking that because that promo is almost unrecognizable as fanmade!
      Lighthawk93
      Some fanmade videos look legit. If those movies were to have been on toonami, those would definatley be the videos for the promos
      Thorn
      And now I wish those movies had been shown on Toonami.
      Lighthawk93
      Same here
      It would have been interesting to see them on tv.
      WisperG

mitsuki lover wrote:

It would have been interesting to see them on tv.

While not on Toonami, Tenchi Muyo in Love did have its US premiere on the Sci-Fi (now Syfy) Channel WAY back in 1996.

Lighthawk93
      WHAT?!
      WisperG
      Hey, found the Sci-fi promo on Youtube. Check it out :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEfulN3cfxU

Anonymous

WisperG wrote:

Hey, found the Sci-fi promo on Youtube. Check it out :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEfulN3cfxU

While I never did get a chance to see this in all the times I watched Saturday Night Anime, that logo brings back a wave of Nostalgia (First Anime I ever saw was Vampire Hunter D on there). Great Find (However, letterboxing the promo and NOT putting the name in the black space they could have at the top and bottom drives me CRAZY, lol)

Thorn
      Well, that’s interesting. I wish I had been more into the Sci-Fi channel back then.
      Lighthawk93
      I remember animonday, not the saturday thing
      Anonymous

Lighthawk93 wrote:

I remember animonday, not the saturday thing

Animonday didn’t start until WELL into 2005? I want to say, possibly later (I want to say 2007 since I don’t remember Gurren Lagann ever NOT being on there) but Satuday Night Anime was a 90’s thing (If you couldn’t tell by all the metal music and squealing guitars, it just goes good with everything, lol) And stopped I want to say 2001?ish maybe not too long before Toonami 2000 launched

WisperG
      June 11th, 2007. The GITS SAC Solid State Society movie was the first thing to air. GL didn’t join until mid-2008 though.
      Lighthawk93
      Wish i knew that was back then. I use to watch scifi alot when i was a kid

mitsuki lover wrote:

It’s also funny that Toonami wanted to make a series that was aimed at an older audience ‘kid friendly’

in the first place.

The funny thing is, Tenchi wasn’t aimed at an older audience. It was a shonen anime, meaning it was aimed at kids our age (preteen) when it was released. It’s just our society is so ass-backwards that you’re allowed to have magazines on display at the supermarket checkout talking about sex moves, but if something questionable happens on TV, it’s the end of the world. Seriously, cultural rot comes from a lot worse places.

Thorn
      ^Reason being that television provides an audio/visual display of just about all of life’s different elements and most are of the opinion that film and television create potential for the “monkey see monkey do” effect in children and other impressionable individuals. That isn’t wrong, as children to learn by imitation. The problem is that our society thinks that it’s up to the television networks to “parent” any child viewers who may happen to watch their shows. That’s what Parental lock and V-Chip are for.

Thorn wrote:

^Reason being that television provides an audio/visual display of just about all of life’s different elements and most are of the opinion that film and television create potential for the “monkey see monkey do” effect in children and other impressionable individuals. That isn’t wrong, as children to learn by imitation. The problem is that our society thinks that it’s up to the television networks to “parent” any child viewers who may happen to watch their shows. That’s what Parental lock and V-Chip are for.

I grew up in the 1960s-70s when there were no such things.Of course there was no such thing as the internet either back then.That was back in the day when All In The Family was considered a bit edgy.

Lighthawk93
      It is true that the cultural refrence has a humongous impact as well as the monkey see monkey do thing. America is really sensitive about these kind of things, Japan just flat out doesn’t give a crap.

Lighthawk93 wrote:

It is true that the cultural refrence has a humongous impact as well as the monkey see monkey do thing. America is really sensitive about these kind of things, Japan just flat out doesn’t give a crap.

Well they do, but generally there’s a better judgement on whether something is truly obscene. The main reason it’s difficult in America to determine if something offensive should be censored, regulated, or banned is because our society is losing cultural consensus for the sake of political correctness.

Lighthawk93
      well said my friend, well said
      I agree.We’ve become too PC in too many things lately.
      Lighthawk93
      I wonder if we could get a petetion to lossen things up a bit
      You could try.People are always writing petitions all the time.It might end up being worthless,but then again

you might not know unless you put the effort into it.

I’m not in the habit of signing petitions myself too often,so maybe I’m not the guy to talk about it.

Thorn
      We’re WAY too PC. We’ve gotten so PC that everyone walks on eggshells around everyone else for fear of saying something even remotely offensive.
      Lighthawk93
      We are way to focused on being politically correct. Besides we know know what all the the censored things in the tenchi series are now, we all found out eventually
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Isn’t it ironic how Tenchi is targeted at youth? It’s not out of place within its Japanese genre or its intended market at all, but Lighthawk is totally right from an American perspective–seeing the .gif swimsuits covering up full-frontal nudity–thinking “wow, why are they even trying to show this to kids?” Because an American show aimed at a younger audience…well, Ryoko’s cupcakes or anything equivalent would definitely be a no-no!

What’s a shame to me, that I sincerely hope will change (slowly, but gradually) is how animated programs are marketed here in the U.S. In animation, from a producer’s standpoint, seems like there are only 2 markets: young children and adults (& of course “adult” having the connotation of low-brow, overtly sexual, etc.). Rarely is anything ever targeted at pre-teens, teens or young adults (well, much of anything with substance, imo). There’s virtually nothing inbetween. It’s either Dora the Explorer or Family Guy.

I can’t–I won’t, I refuse to lol–even begin to imagine how I would have turned out if my sole animation experiences growing up were from U.S. Alot of anime (granted, we see the ‘good’ ones, there’s crude Japanese animated programs too, to be fair) is targeted at younger audiences (youth, teens, etc.) but they’re not condescending them; they’re not patronizing them. They give teens, in a geuine and sincere way, something every teen desperately wants and needs: they treat them like young adults. They don’t insult them with ridiculously simple plots, or one dimensional, cookie-cutter characters, or lame-ass, overused, fart/sex jokes. They’re rich, dynamic stories filled with passionate, genuine, unique, well-thought out protagonists, antagonists, antiheros and everything inbetween, fighting against personal anguish, moral dilemmas and societal/political crises that are on a level that, frankly, are some of the key reasons adults enjoy the series. They’re not hollow. They mean something. Certain shows become staples of people’s identities (why alot of us are here, in 2012, am I wrong?) and for good reason.

It’s no wonder to me why people look at otaku, or general anime fans, or casual viewers of anime with a strange look of “Really? Why?” It’d be like if someone said “FAMILY GUY is my LIFE! It means sooo much to me!” I’d be like “Really? Why?” Sorry to rant, but maybe thinking of that will help the next time someone gives you flack for being an anime ‘nerd’/dork/whatever…pity them…pity the HELL out of them. 😉

Lighthawk93
      I totally agree with what you just said wwwwhhhhoooo. When we watch anime, there is so much more to the story than we realize, but the way we are shown things in America really hinders our comprahension of other things. Think about it, most anime shows deal with many topics like politics, war, culters, customs, etc, but most people shrug it off bc they can not comprehend the meaning behinde the story. After watching the first two episodes of War on Geminar( funimation, please post the rest soon ) it really deals with different cultures and customs, not to mention the political aspect of Lasharah(if I misspel her name, please let me know) recetly becoming king of her kingdom and kenshi being forced to kill her to return home.( you think washu would have come up with a way to get him back to earth). Most people see anime loveers like us as: nerds, geeks, losers. In reality we are getting much more in tuned with the world than the idiots who love family guy( not to bash on the show, because i think it’s funny in some areas, but you catch my drift). Since we started watching these shows on toonami when they first came out, we generly have a better understanding of what the real world is like. True, nearlly every single anime has some kind of fantasy to it, but it is a way of capturing our attention without us just staring at a box for hours on end. The animes we have watched since childhood have made some of the most boring topics in life more enjoyable in the story form. In the end it is people like us who got into all of this without realizing it who are much better off. True we didn’t understand much in our younger days, but we were getting educated without ever really knowing it.

Thank you Toonami and for the people who made it, you have opened our eyes from an early age and it will take us far and definatley make us stay gold.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Lighthawk93 wrote:

I totally agree with what you just said wwwwhhhhoooo.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxO_jD-TFrM[/BBvideo]

Well said Lighthawk all around, & though every generation can make the claim or would like to claim that ‘we’re special, we’re unique’ because of x, y, or z (& each one can, in some way I suppose) I genuinely believe there’s some significance in having seen Toonami in the ‘golden years’ on CN, because especially in the 90’s/early 2000’s before internet really took off, it truly was a stepping stone towards blending pop cultures and exposing western kids to art/ideas that seemed very different at first, yet after closer observation made us all realize how similar we all are in many ways.

Lighthawk93
      No prob man. Love the vid. T.O.M’s speeches also helped defined who we are, god that guy had some pretty badass speches back in the day. This definatley proves why toonami needs more air time.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

I can’t–I won’t, I refuse to lol–even begin to imagine how I would have turned out if my sole animation experiences growing up were from U.S.

Hi there! 😉

Of course, I had better material to work with at the time. :D

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

Quote:

I can’t–I won’t, I refuse to lol–even begin to imagine how I would have turned out if my sole animation experiences growing up were from U.S.

Hi there! 😉

Just to be clear, I truly meant how I would have turned out, not implying that anyone w/o late 90’s, early 2000’s Toonami growing up must have inevitably turned out to be some wretched person wringing their hands in eternal remorse. 😆

Exhibit A: Nobuyuki (you turned out alright)

& yeah! You had Looney Tunes! Of course, as I’m now remembering, I had Looney Tunes as well. Pretty sure they still show them on tv. Why? Glory days of Good ol ‘Merican cartoon making! 😉

*sorry, if I want to continue Looney Tunes/other cartoons talk, I’ll track down the appropriate thread

Lighthawk93
      We know bud, times have changed since the golden years.
      Yup!

Sadly some for the worse. 😥

Lighthawk93
      Your telling me, my brother watches some of the shows on CN and when I walk in I swear, I about throw a fit. They all suck( the ones I have seen anyway)
      Thorn

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Isn’t it ironic how Tenchi is targeted at youth? It’s not out of place within its Japanese genre or its intended market at all, but Lighthawk is totally right from an American perspective–seeing the .gif swimsuits covering up full-frontal nudity–thinking “wow, why are they even trying to show this to kids?” Because an American show aimed at a younger audience…well, Ryoko’s cupcakes or anything equivalent would definitely be a no-no!

What’s a shame to me, that I sincerely hope will change (slowly, but gradually) is how animated programs are marketed here in the U.S. In animation, from a producer’s standpoint, seems like there are only 2 markets: young children and adults (& of course “adult” having the connotation of low-brow, overtly sexual, etc.). Rarely is anything ever targeted at pre-teens, teens or young adults (well, much of anything with substance, imo). There’s virtually nothing inbetween. It’s either Dora the Explorer or Family Guy.

I can’t–I won’t, I refuse to lol–even begin to imagine how I would have turned out if my sole animation experiences growing up were from U.S. Alot of anime (granted, we see the ‘good’ ones, there’s crude Japanese animated programs too, to be fair) is targeted at younger audiences (youth, teens, etc.) but they’re not condescending them; they’re not patronizing them. They give teens, in a geuine and sincere way, something every teen desperately wants and needs: they treat them like young adults. They don’t insult them with ridiculously simple plots, or one dimensional, cookie-cutter characters, or lame-ass, overused, fart/sex jokes. They’re rich, dynamic stories filled with passionate, genuine, unique, well-thought out protagonists, antagonists, antiheros and everything inbetween, fighting against personal anguish, moral dilemmas and societal/political crises that are on a level that, frankly, are some of the key reasons adults enjoy the series. They’re not hollow. They mean something. Certain shows become staples of people’s identities (why alot of us are here, in 2012, am I wrong?) and for good reason.

It’s no wonder to me why people look at otaku, or general anime fans, or casual viewers of anime with a strange look of “Really? Why?” It’d be like if someone said “FAMILY GUY is my LIFE! It means sooo much to me!” I’d be like “Really? Why?” Sorry to rant, but maybe thinking of that will help the next time someone gives you flack for being an anime ‘nerd’/dork/whatever…pity them…pity the HELL out of them. 😉

And of course there are a boat load of examples from the 90s where our children’s cartoons had adult humor infused into them. Did any of us grow up to be amoral heathens simply because we witnessed a few dirty jokes? Certainly not.

Lighthawk93
      ^ too many to count 😆
      Well that was before everyone got all PC.I mean have you ever watched a Tex Avery cartoon?
      Thorn
      Ah, I miss Tex Avery… :D

Besides, there is a certain amount of dishonesty that accompanies being PC. People and tv shows that are PC go so far out of their way to avoid offending anyone that they exist in their own sort of warped reality wherein the world is a perfect place and everyone gets along and no one’s feelings are hurt by anything.

Anywho…how ’bout that Toonami version of Tenchi! :Cheeks:

Lighthawk93
      i really want to watch the toonami version again. I found a website that showed the differences from tv and dvd
      Was that Tenchi Moyu!Another Universe?

They have loads of info on their site including showing what was cut in the edits and cultural info.

Lighthawk93
      Yes it was
      Anonymous
      The Toonami Versions of the first 2 OVA will be going up shortly! (First on the facebook, and second on the site) Stay tuned badassplz
      Ballsmagee01
      imhappylaplz me excited to see!!!

Dagon123 wrote:

The Toonami Versions of the first 2 OVA will be going up shortly! (First on the facebook, and second on the site) Stay tuned badassplz

I’m confused.Who’s facebook site are you talking about?(I take it you mean Tenchiforum but just

in case I’m wrong…)

Lighthawk93
      Oh god, I have this huge tsunami of nostalgia building up and it will hit the second I see it.

BTW dagon, how did you get the toonami version?

Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

I’m confused.Who’s facebook site are you talking about?(I take it you mean Tenchiforum but just

in case I’m wrong…)

The Tenchiforum facebook, here

Lighthawk93 wrote:

Oh god, I have this huge tsunami of nostalgia building up and it will hit the second I see it.

BTW dagon, how did you get the toonami version?

Pioneer released all of the first 2 OVA, and up to the Time and Space Adventures on VHS of the Toonami Versions, after that the big swell of Tenchi’s ultra popularity was gone, they stopped. I grabbed old copies (in quite awesome condition I might add) and have been transferring over from VHS tapes to digital.

I guess I’ll say this here

IF ANYONE HAS TAPED EPISODES OF TOKYO, LET ME KNOW

Lighthawk93
      Tis a dream come true imcryingsomuchplz
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Dagon123 wrote:

Pioneer released all of the first 2 OVA, and up to the Time and Space Adventures on VHS of the Toonami Versions, after that the big swell of Tenchi’s ultra popularity was gone, they stopped.

They actually completed Tenchi Universe before quitting.

Anonymous

Nobuyuki wrote:

They actually completed Tenchi Universe before quitting.

You learn something new all the time, thanks for the heads up.

Lighthawk93
      To amazon her we go!
      I finally got with the program and sent my order for TU in to Rightstuf yesterday. :Tenchismile:
      Lighthawk93
      awsomeness
      Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

I finally got with the program and sent my order for TU in to Rightstuf yesterday. :Tenchismile:

Mitsuki Lover, that is great, but lets try and keep discussions in the right place, this thread is for talking about the Toonami edit, we already have 2 threads associated with the new releases, thanks!

Lighthawk93
      How goes getting the toonami version up?
      Anonymous

Lighthawk93 wrote:

Episode one is up on the facebook! (The first 2 OVA will be uploaded there before they are uploaded here)

Lighthawk93
      Just saw them on facebook
      Thorn

Dagon123 wrote:

Lighthawk93 wrote:

Episode one is up on the facebook! (The first 2 OVA will be uploaded there before they are uploaded here)

Sweet! It’s wierd to see the differen now that I’ve gotten so used the unedited version.

Lighthawk93
      It really is.

Btw how did this become your post dagon?

Anonymous

Lighthawk93 wrote:

It really is.

Btw how did this become your post dagon?

Well now that it’s up on our facebook and soon to be site, I changed it around.

Lighthawk93
      Ah, well I wished I had a little more heads up on that
      How many episodes are you putting up at a time?
      Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

How many episodes are you putting up at a time?

3 at a time, as a I rip them from each VHS

Lighthawk93
      How soon till the next three?
      Anonymous

Lighthawk93 wrote:

How soon till the next three?

Next batch should be up sometime tonight, or early tomorrow morning.

Lighthawk93
      Just saw them get posted on fb. When will they be on the website?
      Anonymous

Lighthawk93 wrote:

Just saw them get posted on fb. When will they be on the website?

After I’ve gotten through episode 13, The page for all things Tenchi related from Toonami will go up

Lighthawk93
      Sweetness! Thanks for the update
      bkev
      Oh my God what is this I don’t even I’m amazed what. The edits are cool, but is this one of the only ways to see the English text credits? As weird as it is that’s a huge part of my nostalgia, takes me back to renting the tapes back in the day!
      Lighthawk93
      Those were the days my friend
      Anonymous
      Even though it’s my birthday, here’s a gift to all of you, the Toonami version of the site is now available, just use the tab at the top “Watch” then click on Toonami ^_^
      jgzinv
      Looks like a couple of the “remastered” editions could benefit from new audio.

The Tom 2 intro was the one I always remembered from back in the day…

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Wow, the promos and character intros too!? Thanks so much Dagon! It’s so mean that Kiyone is the only girl without a character intro…. 😥
      jgzinv
      Pretty sure there was a fan made Kiyone one made way back….

can’t seem to find any traces of it though.

Anonymous

JGZinv wrote:

Looks like a couple of the “remastered” editions could benefit from new audio.

Yea unfortunately slim only used the audio from the Toonami Digital Arsenal for sources (as well as abusing the Poster Edges filter when upscaling, yuck)

Lighthawk93
      This is awsome! Thank you!
      Lighthawk93
      Any idea when Universe and Tokyo will be on there?
      Does anyone know where I can find a clip of Robert Martin Klein’s Seiryo voice? For censorship reasons, he redubbed all of John DeMita’s dialogue for that character in the Toonami version of Episode 13 (apparently all of it, not just a couple lines). If anyone has a clip, I’m curious to hear it (I would also need it to do a Seiryo voice compare on BehindTheVoiceActors).
      WisperG
      Well, the Toonami version of the OVAs are on the site after all. You could just watch Episode 13 yourself.
      Lighthawk93
      Did they redub his character because he sounded gay? No offense,

that’s what I heard, but I’m not entirely sure

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Dunno’… he’s quite the dandy in either version, but that lisp was probably a little too much for comfort.

Although GXP watchers know the truth 😉 :

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/harleybmw/18GXP03L.jpg" />

Kiyami
      Participant
      none
      Back when Toonami and the anime dubbing industry cared and made decisions such as bathing suits…. and in another show turned lesbians into cousins isawitplz (Sailor Moon). Would they make the same sort of silly changes today?

And I liked Seiryo’s original voice. It was funny.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Mittens wrote:

Would they make the same sort of silly changes today?

Depends on when they planned on airing it:

4 PM- Yes.

4 AM- Probably not. 😉

Though that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t necessarily censor certain things even if it aired at 4 a.m.

I mean they still censored Mugen in Samurai Champloo even though that series ran on Adult Swim(and when you listen to the uncensored bits on DVD it ain’t as bad as they make it out to sound).

Thanks! I was able to watch his appearance. The new voice still sounds pretty wacky, but in a very different way. I don’t think any of his lines were changed though. If they were, they weren’t big changes. It was probably changed because he sounded too flamboyant, and could come across as stereotypically (sp?) gay. Robert Martin Klein did sound higher-pitched and younger than John DeMita. Ironically, neither voiced him in GXP (that was Kirk Thornton).

I also checked out episode 1 with the redubbed Kumakura (I think that’s his name. Not sure) with Michael Sorich redubbing Mark Tracy. Both voices work. His lines were probably redubbed for censorship reasons, and since his appearance was very brief, it was probably more convenient to just redo them all. I believe Sorich also voiced the character in Tenchi in Tokyo (haven’t gotten there yet, but that’s what I’ve heard).

I’m surprised they pulled in Petrea Burchard, Matt Miller, Kate Vogt, Jennifer Darling, and Sherry Lynn for redo some lines here and there. I believe Bob Pappenbrook and Rebecca Forstadt did Katsuhito/Nobuyuki and Mihoshi’s pickup lines instead of Jay Hopper and Ellen Gerstell respectively.

Now for the infamous swimsuit episode! :P

EDIT: I watched it, and I’m surprised how well the Photoshopped swimsuits looked. It seemed like it took a lot of work, and the lighting was even adjusted. Although there were a few places where Ryoko’s swimsuit looked like it really “popped”. It might’ve been the color. Don’t know why they didn’t make it a less noticeable black or something. Why purple for Ryoko and orange for Ayeka? I thought it was amusing that Ryoko was given a bikini and Ayeka a one-piece. At least the editors seemed to know the characters’ personalities! XD I’m also surprised they kept Mihoshi’s “Oh my God!” instead of redubbing it as “Oh my Gosh!” (or something else with the same meaning).

Lighthawk93
      They had to redub some of the lines because they mentioned death, which apparentley was a big no no at the time in america. I don’t know if it is the same now. Some of the more promiscuious lines had to be toned down, because after all we were just kids when we watched this
      I know why some lines were redubbed. I’m just surprised they were able to pull in (most of) the original actors to do them, especially since a couple of them weren’t very active in voice acting.
      Lighthawk93
      I agree, the re dub made some of their voices sound weird. The actors probaley had to come in some years after they already dubbed it and their voices were a bit off
Viewing 133 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.