The Academy [FW’s original anime thread]

Forums Fan Stuff Fanfiction The Academy [FW’s original anime thread]

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    Okay, so… I really have no clue where to begin this thread.

I’ve got roughly 1,600 years of history of a world/location/academy in development in my head, and it’s getting cramped up there.

Kajishima’s works have been far and away the most influential on this made-up world, the last story (of which I have been doing the most development) is heavily influenced by Isekai no Sekishi Monogatari.

So far, there are fourteen stories in concept, three of which I am devoted to:

1. The beginning story, of the Invisible Oracle

2. The second story, of the first Architect and the finding and re-founding of the Academy

3. The end story, of Prot’n, Dena the last Architect, and of the fall of the Academy.

When I’ve been able to sit down with people and tell them in person about this place, just detailing the culture and technology has been able to take up as much as an hour. THEN the story would start, and it would actually make sense.

Now, the actual end product would have such explanations carefully integrated into the content just like any fantasy show (think InSM or Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou) but for now I have no choice but to preface the telling with the explanations.

In principle, there is only one thing to explain: “Amna”

If you were to observe the use of Amna, you’d say “Oh, it’s magic,” but you’d be slightly mistaken. Technically it’s just another element out there -somewhat comparable to static electricity and humidity- that happens to react to mental control (among other things).

The reason that the first Architect (leader of the Academy) made the Academy was to distinguish between Amna activity and that which was truly magic (and therefore demonic).

Oh, boy. Any questions? Any ideas where to start schpealing all this?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Replies
      For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Obligatory 3-d rendering of something pertaining to this thread:
      [spoil]http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l625/Elisnow17/tmp_zps70ca1a41.png" />[/spoil]
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

For Washuu wrote:

Any ideas where to start schpealing all this?

Not really, but I’ll try giving my two cents.

Sounds like a cool concept. Your “pitch” here was good because it was concise, it was enough to get me interested on some level.

Since you’re creating your own world, you’ll undoubtedly have a lot of info in your head. The trick is funneling all that to your audience. IMHO:

1. It’s a process. The reader/audience has to uncover things for themselves. You could hypothetically have an airtight, novel concept with zero plot holes, but if you just give away everything to your audience without them having the experience of digging things up or putting pieces together themselves, ultimately it’s “oh…cool story, bro.”

2. To that end (the process) provide what the audience needs to know when they need it, not more, and do it through your characters. If you focus on telling a story through characters, the rest will come when it needs to.

When I first read The Fellowship of the Ring did I want/need to know, when they arrived in Bree, that Stryder was Aragorn, respected Dunedain Ranger, friend of the Elves, older and wiser than he appeared and legitimate heir of Gondor? How about who/what the Elves are, and their background, or what/where Gondor is, or the tragic background of the Dunedain? Answer: no. I became interested in this mysterious figure with unknown motives, so I stuck with the story. I delved further later.

3. Finally, while I think it’s cool you want to share with us some of your ideas, remember ideas in and of themselves are not really protect-able. I’m not saying it would happen here, but just keep that in mind wherever you share your ideas (particularly on the internet). At some point, of course, you have to loose your concepts (in physical form) into the world, but save the really good stuff for yourself and play things close to the chest in general.

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      I can pretty much echo what Who has said, being myself in novelistic writing as well as some screenplay ideas. Having your audience figure out things is what keeps them interested. The catch there is that you don’t want to have so many unanswered questions at once or make it extremely hard to follow. It all comes down to balance on that end, and that really just takes time and experience to master that.

Your ideas alone are pretty awesome, and your pitch is solid. Also another thing I admit is that the story should not be story driven or narrator driven, and that goes with anything. Your characters are what need to be living and bring the story as a whole, into life. Essentially, if your characters are living and you have a predestined idea of where the story goes, the rest will solve itself based on your characters motives and such.

Also, my direct concepts while there are some safe places to share them like here, other places arent the same way. I put short sidestories based on my original work on the internet but not the original brunt of entire concept. My fanfiction serves as a practice ground for concepts and ideas that I may portray in later original takes ^^.

All in all, like the idea, like the edgyness to it because it’s refreshing. Hope to hear more about it

On a side note: Read your first chapter of your work on here, thought it was rather enjoyable.

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Thanks for the start, guys. I was, however, wondering more about how/where to start telling you the story. (I already can play it back in my head like a memory of something I’ve seen; it’s that clear.)

Or maybe I should say world, as the individual stories are not all there is to know…

Also, shadows, if you’re reading “For Washuu”, you’re better off looking it up on FanFiction.net since that will be more up-to-date and error-corrected. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

For Washuu wrote:

Thanks for the start, guys. I was, however, wondering more about how/where to start telling you the story. (I already can play it back in my head like a memory of something I’ve seen; it’s that clear.)

Or maybe I should say world, as the individual stories are not all there is to know…

Right, I think we’re on the same page: I’m sure it’s much more clear in your own head, as the creator, than to anyone of us. So, when you say tell us the story, I’m thinking either an outline of the premise (a “pitch”), or treating us as any other reader/viewer, and as I said, using your character(s) and what they go through as the catalyst through which your world unfolds.

[obviously this is just an example as I am unfamiliar with your work but] say for example your protagonist is admitted into the academy for the first time: when he/she arrives, describe what it looks like with the various tools of storytelling at your disposal; if he/she, at a young age, is hearing about the academy for the first time, have him/her ask someone else (an elder, family member, etc.) about the academy so we learn as they do (think about when Kenshi arrives on Geminar, a world totally unknown to him–as he learns about Sacred Mechanoids and Aho, ultimately it’s a streamlined method to tell us viewers about Sacred Mechanoids/Aho, because upon first viewing it’s all new to everyone except Kajishima).

If, however, you just want to tell us about your concept or particular facets of it, you can really pick anywhere to start: perhaps, as you’ve already begun, explaining how the world itself works, how are its laws of physics similar/different from our own world? define and describe unfamiliar words and concepts, then maybe work up to characters and their roles in their world. It’s up to you what/how much you want to divulge.

p.s. before I forget to say it, good luck with your ideas, I hope you see them to fruition in some form at some point.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Re-reading my posts, in an effort to be concise and less verbose, I feel I overlooked a couple important points that I wish to communicate to you FW:

1. What you’re experiencing is not uncommon amongst authors who craft their own worlds; it’s an immense amount of knowledge you want to get across to others, let alone getting down to the nitty gritty of the narrative. I am only able to offer suggestions because I continue to struggle with such things constantly (I suspect one never outgrows these difficulties entirely).

2. The difficulty of your task shouldn’t be understated–though “common” amongst writers, it is a tremendous challenge, made up of many smaller challenges. Even the greats struggle with this very topic.

I was reminded of this very fact (and prompted to add this follow-up post) when I happened to read the preface of my edition of Tolkien’s The Silmarillion. Included is an early letter by Tolkien sent to his friend and editor Milton Waldman concerning his attempts to consolidate his multi-layered world of Middle Earth through his stories and what would be his books. An excerpt:

“My dear Milton,

You asked for a brief sketch of my stuff that is connected with my imaginary world. It is difficult to say anything without saying too much: the attempt to say a few words opens a floodgate of excitement, the egoist and artist at once desires to say how the stuff has grown, what it is like, and what (he thinks) he means or is trying to represent by it all.”

At least it would seem you’re in good company. ๐Ÿ˜‰

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Oh, goodness, Who. That quote is perfect! (And what better place to put it than in front of The Silmarillion?

Haa. Well, how about this: Amna. I shall describe the element Amna, as it is the cornerstone difference between The Academy and the world we’re in.

The namesake and pioneer researcher of this substance was the first Architect of the Academy, A. Mana.

Amana sequencing plant[/url] where the current Academy arc was thought up.)[/size] He was a skeptic that attributed anything even slightly paranormal to the realm of demons, evil, and That To Be Avoided.

Due to a certain person and some circumstances (accounted in the books of the Invisible Oracle), this view of “magic” was thrown into doubt and A. Mana set out in search of the legendary Academy, which was said to be the only place that could actually comprehensibly tell what “Magic” was and wasn’t.

As the account tells, he got there to find it a playhouse and, well, really crappy excuse of an academy, and he promptly threw out almost everybody.

BUT.

Only after having read the books there and learning of the nature of this element.

AMNA (as it came to be called later)

It is not, as it may seem, magic. It is a… something. Matter-type, element, force, particle/wave, who the heck knows what exactly? What is know is that it interacts and can be affected (or even controlled) by the thoughts of man -both individually and collectively. It, in turn, can affect most any matter in various ways.

…yeah, this is such a cop-out way of making magic into science…

One’s use of Amna is as limited as their study of ideas how to use it or, for their better use of it, their own creativity.

Uses of it have been recorded as:

-Heat displacement

-Wind induction

-Weight change

-Size change

-Object morphing/bending

-Augmented force

-Shielding

-Healing

-Building

-Materialization

The only know element that nullifies Anma are the ferrous materials – Iron and Cobalt.

So I’ve turned magic into science. Now what? ;)

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Ah, music. How could I have forgotten music?? It’s rampant! And I don’t necessarily mean in the Academy, but in the show itself.

When I was describing the setup for the background music for the Academy story I’m working on right now to a movie-directing friend of mine, he was caught off-guard by something. I had noted to him how the music tracks will be played by characters who are the original artists -which happens- BUT… the actual music track (half of them) is a live recording. He’d never heard of that being done before.

So, to clarify: Sym, Gym, Ojo and Gary of the band “Undercover” are all characters in the story and every now and then they play music… which in real life is a professional recording of their Cornerstone 2000 concert. The ‘live’ sound of it is fairly justified by the fact that the in-story band is playing live in an enclosed loading bay, right?

No, I’m not making a lame joke. It’s just that weird of a show. ;)

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

You are familiar with Arthur C. Clarke, yes? ๐Ÿ˜‰

For Washuu
      Participant
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

Quote:

You are familiar with Arthur C. Clarke, yes? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yeesss…. but I’m not even being clever about it. I mean, at least Kajishima set up his world so that all the power/magic/technology can ultimately be traced back to the Choushin (and then to Tench, I guess).

Also, here’s a short mix of ~half of the background songs: https://soundcloud.com/project-signet/arc-1-mixtape

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Posting from my Screenplay.txt file.

Episodes:

1: “Academy”{pilot, characters} Protn arrives, character intro’s: Dena, Wan, Undercover. “Daddy-O”, “Spill”

2: “Man, Oh, Man!” {setting, filler, characters} Intro Dale. Academy stuff, classes. “Man, Oh, Man” [Parts I and II]. Wan and Protn getting to know each other, chance talk on Wan’s interests, intro Cindy Simone, first meeting under Wan’s ship. “Man, Oh, Man” [Parts I and II], “Time”, “Time (remix)”

3: “Righteous Android” {conflict, intrigue} Mage attack on Bay. Dena interviewing prots on Mage attack. Intro robot. Religion conversation. “Holy, Holy, Holy”

4: “1 2 1” {filler} Bay 2 prod cuts. Cindy “REST!” incident. Evening ‘faux-stoners’, fight, Protn martial art. Night practice (Undercover), Dena tells Protn worries. Wan eavesdropping and staying awake. “Resurrection”, “One to One”

5: “Mamma, Say a Prayer for Me.” {conflict} Protn and Wan working on her ship, talking about recording. @@some song@@ Protn called to Dena’s talk with Mage. See off Wan in the Orca. Wan flashbacks of home. Wan attacked. “Have you Made It?” “Mamma”

6: “The Way of the Rose” {intrigue} Wan returns. “Way of the Rose”

7: “Attack on Bay 2” {Conflict} Attack on Bay 2.

8: “Wonderful” {mourning} Dena warns Protn, dies. Memorial, talk about her. search her cloak, trace items. Book of Legends. “Wonderful”

9: {} Preparation for the strike. “Intro”, Beginning of the End”.

10: “WAR!” {travel} Traveling to the location, preparing.

11: “Devotion” {climax} Strike on base, Protn disables Amna inducer.

12: “World Come Crashing…” {warning, resolution}

1: “Academy”

2: “Man, Oh, Man!”

3: “Righteous Android”

4: “1 2 1”

5: “Mamma, Say a Prayer for Me.”

6: “The Way of the Rose”

7: “Attack on Bay 2”

8: “Wonderful”

9: {}

10: “WAR!”

11: “Devotion”

12: “World Come Crashing…”

=~~~~~~~~+~~~~~~~=

Episode 1: ACADEMY

=~~~~~~~~+~~~~~~~=

Protn arives at Academy. His first day.

Characters intro’d:

Protn

Dena

Misc. Bay 2 crew

Wan

“Undercover” Bay 2 crew group: Joei, Sym, Jym, and Gari

Cybamy/AmygCy (ish)

Scenes:

Protn writing to his mother while sitting in the shuttle as it crosses the desert west of the academy.

>-Title-< 2. Protn at the station. Dena greets him and leads him via special shuttle to an Academy entrance point. 3. Dena has brought Protn to loading Bay 2, as that is the place he agreed to work. He is introduced to the crew and Wan, who introduces him to the job. “Daddy-O” >-eyecatch-< 4. Dena preps the Bay 2 Crew for the Long Haul. “Spill” Spotlight on Bay work. Ship arrival sequence, including an early Amygcy appearance.

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      [continued]

Note: almost none of this is revised, and none of this is spell-checked.

It is incomplete, shallow, shoddy work that I know truly stinks in at least one place and truly doesn’t exist at all in another.

That aside, it’s the same introduction of sorts that you get in Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou… just not done.

=~~~~~~~+~~~~~~~~=

EPISODE 1: ACADEMY

=~~~~~~~+~~~~~~~~=

The view is a desert floor with some ridges and butes in the distance. It is morning.

The sound of an Anma engine grows, followed by a slight tremor before the view is blocked by the lower section of a {####} shuttle. Camera switches to a stationary view above and behind the shuttle as it continues, now away from the camera.

Cut to interior, port-side, looking out (the same direction as the first shot). [higher up and tinted]

In the background can be heard Undercover’s “Glorified” (as ‘elevator muzak’)

PROTN: I can see the Academa cliffs in the distance. Thanks to the total lack of Amna here in the low basin, there’s also a total lack of weather. [beat] Making this trip all the more boring.

The camera jumps back to the starboard wall, facing port (the same way).

PROTN is visible in the foreground sitting on a chair in a row of chairs. [there is no row on the other side(?)]

PROTN: And, of course, making the prospect of arriving all the more pleasant.

Camera cut to PROTN, showing just his eyes.

He stares left (audience right) toward the pilot in the back of the ship.

Camera cut to a view past PROTN toward the pilot.

PROTN: The pilot on this shuttle said that it should only be another couple hours until we reach the cliffs and get lifted to the cliff-top.

Camera cuts to a side-view of Protn’s eyes. They half-close, looking annoyed.

PROTN: Whoopie.

Another pause as the camera cuts back to looking out the port side.

Camera cuts to left-side shot of PROTN.

He is writing in a journal but stops and, sighing, rests head on his right palm. The frame cuts off just below his eyes. The music begins to de-attenuate.

PROTN: (exasperated) Mother, give me strength.

Camera holds for a second before backing through the rear of the shuttle. It rises as the shuttle continues to get further away, angling up to bring the cliffs into view in the distance (~200miles).

The music continues to grow in volume until it cuts off with an echo. At the same time, the screen goes black and the title appears.

+

In a drop-off point a story below Academy-ground level. Camera is looking along the shuttle and PROTN is bent over, reaching into it (lh) to grab his bag. He rights himself and turns away from the craft.

PROTN: (over his shoulder, to the pilot) Thanks for the ride!

PROTN breathes, squares his shoulders… and gets a concerned look on his face. Camera cuts to in front of him (at him), and he glances left and right. He looks ahead and down.

PROTN: (thinks to self) Okay… where’s a map?

Still holding his bag(s), he leans to the right, trying to look over into the hallway. He glances back over to the stairs to the surface (on his right) before turning and tripping on the step. He falls onto his hands and knees. The camera follows his fall.

PROTN: What the!…

His bag hits the ground to his right. It rolls over onto the foot of DENA.

DENA: [sighs] Not the best way I’ve seen somebody begin their time at Academy.

PROTN: Huh?

PROTN looks up at DENA. Camera pans up her (character shot). She cocks her head to the side (l).

DENA: But not the worst, either, I must say.

Camera returns to PROTN, with DENA in in the background (PROTN facing her, head turned away from the camera) He gets back on his feet.

PROTN: Um, sorry.

He grabs his bag and hoists it with some effort.

DENA: Hang on, first things first.

Camera cut to behind DENA.

She points her finger at a ~2′ horizontal slit in the wall. As she curls her finger back into her fist, an Aamna’d-air platform about 2’x3′ comes out of the wall and glides over to her.

DENA: Just put it here, student. No need throw out your back.

PROTN lifts his bag over the hovering platform, but looks at it disapprovingly before lowering his bag onto it.

Camera cuts back to DENA.

DENA: [chuckles quietly, then smirks] My, you’re a skeptic if I’ve ever seen one.

A pause, and then DENA smiles and offers a hand to shake. PROTN pauses and then shakes the proffered hand.

DENA: My name is Diandra Dena Amnรก, but you can call me Dena.

Camera cuts to a shot between the two, with the side of each head in view.

PROTN: Protn. Protn Earth.

DENA nods and turns. Placing a finger on the Amna air-platform (so it follows her), she begins to walk toward the hallway that PROTN had originally aimed for. The camera slides right, following her. PROTN follows.

Camera cuts to behind-left of DENA, with PROTN on the right side of the frame (following DENA on her right)

DENA: It’s good to have you, Protn, especially this year. There were fewer new students than usual, and we just lost a worker in Bay 2 over the break, so it’s pretty providential that you would offer to work there. Not to mention generous. [she glances back as she walks] I mean, you do know what kind of job you signed up for, don’t you?

PROTN: [looks left and down, at his bag on the platform] Um, no, not really. I just signed up for a high-paying job that fit my class schedule.

DENA glances at PROTN, blinks, and then returns her gaze forward.

Camera cuts to DENA, in front of her, at head-height. She has a blank or “oh” expression.

Camera cuts to a side-shot of her, same distance.

DENA: Well. I guess that works.

Camera cuts to black. Like a door, the stone wall in front of the camera “opens”, revealing DENA behind it with a finger outstreched having opened the “wall”.

DENA: Odd grounds for chosing a job, wouldn’t you say?

They enter the passage.

PROTN: Naah. [shrugs] I figure that I’ll just have to meet the job’s expectations, so it’s more of just a challenge than something troublesome.

Camera cuts to the entrance of the passage, facing in.

DENA waves at him, and they both stop. On their left are two seats against the wall: the closer one facing away from the wall, and the next with its back against the first. DENA motions to PROTN and he sits in the first seat (against the wall), his bag in his lap, and leaning back with his hands on the back of the seat (and the next).

Camera cut to in front of the chairs, facing them.

DENA sits in the front seat and hammer-fiste the wall. An Amna engine whir is heard phazing up.

DENA: Well, if that works for you, then good. [beat] Hang on, okay?

In the background, the stone wall/door can be seen closing.

Camera cuts to just behind PROTN (effetivly “in” the wall).

PROTN: [Looks at DENA] What?

The chairs both lurch forward down the passageway. Protn starts, grabing his bag just in time with one hand, and the back of DENA’s chair with the other. He quickly sits back down, clutching his bag

PROTN: Oy…

He breathes a couple deep breaths as the seats accelerate before returning to his previous posture, but this time with one hand [r] on his bag.

PROTN: So where does this… these… chairs… go to?

Camera pans left toward DENA.

DENA: The lower main Academy. Near to where you can get all the Academy and schedule info you’ll need to get acclimated.

Camera cuts to front of seats. They’re moving at 15-20 mph by now.

DENA: [glances back toward PROTN, smiles] But first you get to see the town.

Camera cuts to the other side of the passageway, facing the chairs. As they exit the passageway into a street, the camera slows and pans forward, tracking the chairs and giving a view of the building and shops.

Camera cuts to front of chairs. PROTN is looking over DENA’s left shoulder, glancing back/left as things pass.

Camera cuts to a brick floor. (Camera is along the wall, facing down.)

The chairs glide into view and stop directly in mid-frame.

PROTN: [stands] Dang. That’s a lot different from where I come from.

DENA laughs as she ‘walks’ off of her chair.

DENA: I’d imagine so. Things are pretty different in Kouchi, aren’t they?

Camera cuts to PROTN.

PROTN: [hoisting bag] How’d you know I’m from Kouchi?

Camera cuts to DENA.

DENA: That’s my job as Overseer/Dean here: to KNOW things. (Pulls a copy of Protn’s enrollment papers out of the top of her sleeve and hands them to him.)

PROTN: Oh.

DENA heads for a flight of descendign stairs in front of the chairs.

Camera cut to side-back angle of PROTN’S head as he reads over his form.)

PROTN: [thinks to self] They sent the dean just to pick me up?

DENA: Just an overseer really, but yes, I *am* called dean.

PROTN: [disbelieving expression] Wait. Did you-

DENA: [cuts him off] Come on, student! You WANT to get lost?

PROTN: Right! [hurredly follws her]

+

Loading Bay 2. A panoramic view of the activity there is shown before the camera stops at the opposite end of the bay from the main doors, facing toward the entrance. (not the double-doors that lead to the outside docks.) Dena and Protn are standing, facing the bay. Cut to a side-shot of them (check-in entrance/worker’s entrance in the background)

PROTN: Okay. Why are we here?

DENA: It’s your job, student.

PROTN: [slightly annoyed] Well, yes, but why are we here right now?

DENA: “Those who have committed to a job ought to be ready, willing, and able to fufill that committment at any time that they may be called upon”

PROTN raises an eyebrow.

Camera cuts to a front view of DENA. She looks right, to PROTN.

DENA: Words of the Architect. You’ll be reading it in one of your begining classes.

Camera cuts to side-view, right of PROTN. He nods.

PROTN: Very well. I’ll have to remember that.

Camera cuts to PROTN’S head. He gets a sort of smirking frown.

Camera cuts to above and behind them, showing them from above as well as the rest of Bay 2.

DENA: [Sweeps hand out over the bay] This is Loading Bay 2. (Camera cuts to 2/3-angle shot of PROTN and DENA. Camera pans away form them toward the rest of the bay throughout line.) It handles the loading and unloading of crafts of high officials and those chartered by the Academy for speciual deliveries, as well as private crafts that pay a premium for speedy loading and/or handling of fragile cargo and luggage.

PAIGE: Warden?

Camera cuts to DENA and the PAIGE that has approached to the right of PROTN. DENA nods, and the PAIGE passes PROTN and hands DENA a folder. She waits as DENA flips through the contents of the folder. DENA closes the folder, hands the PAIGE a slip of paper, and nods. The PAIGE quickly nods and gives an Academy salute. She then turns, grabs PROTN’S bag, and quickly exits the Bay via the worker’s entrance)

Dena “these are the people of Bay 2”: not many. Two people and Wan, who begins to do crazy stuff on the slidey loader.

Dena mentions another group that comes in to help [undercover], and Protn “I take it this means that I’m getting straight to work?”

yep

‘what kind of place IS this?’

Academy, that’s what! You have a problem with that?

No. If that’s what’s up, then I am totally ready for work. But what do I do?

Wan can teach you that.

Who’s wan?

[wan speed-crashes into mats/pads, causing Protn to recoil/cover.

bla, bla. etc, etc.

He meets the Bay Ward, who tells him a bit about the job. She begins to tell him of the people working there: the amna box diffuser, that other dude, and “then there’s Wanda” and, Wan crashes a loader unit into the rubber impact spot she had set up. Prot is startled by this as wan comments that she loves how much that particular unit has loosened up over the summer. The Ward notes “and that’s the girl who’s in charge of this floor.” More surprise, and mention that there is an owner, yadda yadda yadda.

A paige tells the ward that she is needed above, and she leaves Wan to finish filling in Prot of the details and intros. She leaves, and Wan stands there mute.

“…and, yeah. That’s about it.”

“Well, what’s my JOB?”

“don’t worry about it so much. I’ll teach you, and it’s not hard.”

Wan begins to outline the basic procedures and routines. She ends by mentioning that, due to the MASSIVE influx of people (coming back from break), the “odd-shift team” would be joining them for the day and night. Prot begins to ask, but Wan instead begins to tell about the overnight[?] haul (not explaining, per se). She is cut off, however, by the beginning of “Daddy-O”.

P: “What the- what’s that?”

W: “Ahh, here they come…”

The music fades in over the clapping on the track, and first you see the hand of the drummer, and then the keyboardist’s hands, and then the rest of them.

P: “That’s a loading team?!?”

W: [laughs] “One of the best! At least if you like their music. But they’re good.”

Various shots of work beginning run as the song plays, and at the end of the song [“never gonna LAST”], the scene ends on the last beat.

+

[eyecatch]

+

Bay 2. View of the whole bay, and then a close-up of DENA (near workers’ entrance) as she claps her fists together.

DENA: So!

Cut to her back, facing the rest of the Bay crew, who are relatively near. They face her.

DENA: Any last words before we continue? (no response) Very well! (camera begins to move to the left of her) Dale hasn’t arrived yet, as he has been having trouble on the Clifton Road, so you’re on your own. [glances at Wan] Okay… Wan?

Camera cut to wan. She looks sidelong and laughs nervously.

WAN: (gives an Academy salute) Right!

Camera cuts to facing them all, DENA on the right (by the entrance) and the rest more toward the left.

DENA: (nods) Then I declare this year’s “Bay 2 Long Haul”… commenced!

Track: “Spill

Camera cuts to DENA’S view of the B2 workers as they procede to move to wheir respctive stations.

m1: GYM (guitarist) stands leaning against the wall, tapping out the guitar line. PROTN follows WAN toward the loaders. SYM is standing next to GYM, and all the others have started toward their respective stations.

m2: Camera cuts to SYM.

SYM: Well alrighty, then!

m3: Camera cuts to right of GYM, facing far wall and DENA. GYM pushes off wall and heads toward the camera.

m4: Right as the measure ends, DENA turns and starts to exit.

m5: As the instruments come in (b1), the camera cuts to the back wall, facing the Bay.

m9: Flying camera on the left wall (with the doors to the exterior dock), second floor. Camera slides left and pans down, showing GYM warming up/preping a loader and SYM passing en route to the Amna engine.

m17: Track fades a little. Camera cuts to WAN and PROTN who are a floor down from the exterior doors.

m18:

WAN: Protn! (Camera cuts to PROTN, and back to WAN) (waves a paper) C’mere, I’ve got our day’s orders!

Camera cuts to PROTN, who heads over and they examine the instructions.

m21-24:

Camera cuts to SYM as he begins to sing while working.

SYM: Brittle bones / Try to find their way / Fight the cloth / Between the fingers

Camera rotates around him, behind him, as he approaches WAN and PROTN. WAN salutes him and hands him some papers and a clipboard.

m25-27:

Camera cuts above SYM and follows, gradually rotating down and away from him.

SYM: On the canvas / Watch the painter call his painting / Call the trouble

On the word “Call” of “Call the trouble” {m27b2}, the misc. Bay worker hits the button to the left of the main doors. (the “open” trigger)

m28: Camera cuts behind SYM as the doors begin to open.

SYM: Under feet that can’t stand-

m29: The doors actually start opening, and the light from outside fades the camera to white.

SYM -Still

@@@@@

(Bay 2 is given a break to see the sunset)

All over, Wan asks Protn how he likes it.

Protn: “Well… I don’t mind the music.”

Wan: [teasing] Whaaat, that’s it?

[getting dim]

Wan: “Alright! Back to work.”

Protn grumbles, but follows. Fade to black with the sunset and song fading out.

-end

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.