The Adventures of Mihoshi and Kiyone Concept Thread

Forums Fan Stuff Fanfiction The Adventures of Mihoshi and Kiyone Concept Thread

• This topic is empty.
    Writing a fanfic is something I’ve been thinking about for a long time, but despite liking to come up with concepts for both fanfics and original ideas, I could never think of one that I honestly thought I could successfully write about. That is, until a few months ago when I got the idea for a Mihishi/Kiyone focused series set in the Universe continuity. Although I don’t plan to start writing this anytime soon, and it isn’t fully developed yet (as you’ll notice there are a lot of little details I haven’t settled on yet), I decided it best to go ahead and post my ideas and start collecting feedback (on the characters in particular, but also the plot).

The Adventures of Mihoshi and Kiyone (working title) would pick up about 6 months after KAIN’s rampage in TMiL. As seen in the movie, parts of GPHQ were destroyed and some lives were likely lost, but much of the facility seemed to remain intact after KAIN brought it back to the present. I’m going by the assumption that, rather than everyone dying, most of the people on the station at the time were flung throughout time (which is supported by that rogue GP officer being flung to the 70’s). At this point, about half of the GP’s workforce that were thrown to different time periods by KAIN’s powers have been recovered. Progress on repairs to GP headquarters have been coming along at a smooth pace, and it sits at about 60-70% restored, but clearly there’s still a lot of work to do. Despite this, the Galaxy Police are pretty much back to “business-as-usual.”

The first chapter would begin with Mihoshi and Kiyone returning, tired, from a long but successfully completed mission. After landing their ship the first thing they do is head to Chief Orion’s office to deliver their mission report. They’d stop and talk to a few people along the way, introducing part of the supporting cast. There’d be more to it than that obviously, but that’s what I’ve got at the moment. Due to an as-yet-unspecified blunder by Mihoshi the duo was quickly demoted from their new positions they achieved at the end of Universe back to resident officers stationed at Earth. They were quickly ordered to return to GPHQ following the events of TMiL to help with the repairs and take on the growing pile of missions and field work due to the GP’s current lack of resources and man-power.

Although there is an overarching story line, much like Universe (or other shows like Bebop), this fanfic will be mostly episodic adventures with the occasional reference or hint to the conspiracy (see below) before having a plot-focused chapter that delves further into said conspiracy and the mysterious circumstances surrounding KAIN’s outbreak. I’ve came up with a lot of crazy ideas for random stories, many of which probably won’t happen. I’ve got ideas for everything from Mihoshi accidentally awakening Cthulhu, to our duo being stranded in a ghost town in the Russian tundra with a vampiric space monster, to much more “standard” stuff like the obligatory beach trip/hot springs story with the Masaki household, or teaming up with Nagi to hunt down a particularly dangerous criminal. I’m open to any and all suggestions on random story ideas like these.

Now, back to KAIN. Did he just spontaneously break the lock on his subspace prison? I say no, he didn’t. He was merely one cog in a conspiracy by a group of shady figures to not only bring down the GP, but also the Juraian Royal family. And they would’ve gotten away with it too if it hadn’t been for those meddling time travelers and their dumb Cabbit 😉

Obviously, that stage of the operation failed. But the bad guys had a contingency plan that they’re just about ready to set in motion…

Since this is set between the two Universe movies, I would eventually tackle the events of TMiL2, expanding on Mihoshi and Kiyone’s roles in the film and showing things from their perspective. And of course having Kiyone get that new haircut :D

I’d also like to draw the occasional picture for key scenes, much like Kajishima does.

Main cast:

Mihoshi: Need anything be said about her?

Kiyone: Not happy about being demoted, but was satisfied with being back on Earth. She’s pining for another promotion now that the competition is thinned out…

Hakua: A recent recruit. Friends with the main duo (and “Young GP Officer”, see new characters section) and apparently a protoge of Mihoshi? Given her sole appearance is from a game featuring Kiyone she probably ties in more closely with the OVA1/Hasegawa timeline, so I don’t think it would be too hard incorporating her into the Universe continuity. Don’t know what her personality or back story is supposed to be yet. Perhaps I could even incorporate the events of the game, if we ever figure out what it’s about?)

Supporting characters:

Nagi: Would be a recurring character.

Mitsuki: Part of the first group of GP officers to be recovered after KAIN is dealt with. She, along with 4 other GP officers were found… somewhere, haven’t decided yet. They arranged for a message detailing their location to be sent to Kiyone on a specific date hundreds of years later, Back to the Future style.

Kuramitsu family: Still undecided on utilizing them and involving them in GP/Academy affairs in the Universe timeline, and potentially the events of Kagato’s takeover of Jurai. If used, they would appear in similar roles to their OVA counterparts.

Masaki household: Would make appearances here and there, but not the main focus of the story.

Washu: Given her ties to the Academy and the space community in general, she would likely appear more frequently than the rest of the Masaki household.

Dr. Sanada: Yes, THAT Sanada. Just an idea I’ve been toying with, where the Sanada of the Universe continuity would briefly aid the GP by helping Washu build a time machine to pick up missing GP officers flung throughout history by KAIN.

Potential new characters/species. I’ve tried to keep new characters to a minimum, although given the size of the GP there is a lot of potential here. Aside from Orion, a lot of the details on these guys aren’t set in stone yet. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Young Male GP Officer: Still unnamed detective. From the same graduating class as Kiyone and Mitsuki. Might team up with the duo for the occasional mission, but would mostly appear in a supporting role. Also friends with Hakua. His personality is not completely worked out yet. My initial idea was for him to think he’s a ladies man, but much like Brock from Pokemon is woefully unsuccessful in his endeavors 99% of the time.

Orion: One of the GP’s Chief officers. Stern, but kind. A very large man. He’s getting up there in years, and bald, but he’s very well built.

Another KAIN?: There are two ways this could go. One is the assumption that KAIN was part of some weird (and extremely rare?) species of time/space manipulating space-entities, and this is another member of the same species. The other follows the popular theory that KAIN was originally a Juraian (or another humanoid species) and something happened to him (or he did something to himself) to make him into the creature that we know him as. But what if he wasn’t the only one that did that? I’ll change the name, but KAIN#2 (who is tinted a burgundy/red instead of black and wears a mask) is sealed away in a long-forgotten crystalline cave on an barren, inconspicuous planet (Not unlike Celestine’s moon prison in A!MG The Movie) deep in a lawless, pirate-controlled sector of space. This one shifts through dimensions, instead of through time, which opens up the possibility of another Time & Space Adventures dimension-hopping story and alternate universe crossovers!

Ll… the Assassin?: Mostly a joke character. A GP officer inspired by Ll’s humorous “cameos” in a few lines spit out by our translation software. Ll, Ninjaboy and I came up with a brief backstory for him. He’ll probably just have a few background/cameo appearances. May or may not actually end up being an assassin in the finished product.

Shadow Beasts: These things may not actually be used and I haven’t decided on a proper name for them. They bear a passing resemblance to KAIN, as they’re strange globule creatures that look like they’re made out of black flames. They can phase between two different dimensions through their shadows which act as a doorway of sorts. Their power was inspired by the alternate dimension inside the OVA’s Soja, where Mihoshi phases into the alternate, but identical dimension inside the ship where Washu was detained. Mostly walks on all four’s, but they can stand on their hind legs. Very smart. They exhibit a collective/hive mind mentality and behave similar to a large feline (like a Cheetah or a Jaguar). Inhabitants of the planet where KAIN#2 is detained.

Random GP Officers: The GP is really big. Lots of people work there, whom the main characters would need to interact with from time to time. Most would be one-and-done appearances. Some could be recurring, but would have minimal dialogue when they do appear.

Random people Miho/Kiyo meet on their adventures: With episodic stories comes lots of random people for the cast to interact with who probably won’t show up again. Some will be made up on the fly, others I might pull from original stories or old scrapped fanfic ideas I’ve had. I may even utilize minor characters from other Tenchi continuities or unrelated works from Kajishima and Negishi. As a big fan of crossovers, I think it’d be interesting to use others’ fanfic characters too for some of these one-and-done roles if you guys would let me (and it made sense story-wise. Of course, we’d work the details out before hand to make sure personalities and motivations remained intact, if not just letting the creator write the dialogue for their own characters), but I realize that’s venturing into questionable territory. Just a thought I had.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        wwwwhhhhoooo
        none

WisperG wrote:

Now, back to KAIN. Did he just spontaneously break the lock on his subspace prison? I say no, he didn’t. He was merely one cog in a conspiracy by a group of shady figures to not only bring down the GP, but also the Juraian Royal family. And they would’ve gotten away with it too if it hadn’t been for those meddling time travelers and their dumb Cabbit 😉

Never thought of that angle before; it sounds interesting.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/twoface_zps759292e0.jpg" />

Kain’s just a mad dog. I want whoever let him off the leash.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say you’ve given this some thought, haven’t you Wisps? 😉 It shows, cuz you’ve got a lot of fun, episodic ideas here (perfect for Universe continuity) and a larger, overarching plot with some serious substance to it. I’d say based off your outline here, it’s got potential to be a really fun read–if your fanfic writing is anything like your writing for your fanfic writing, it’s indicative that it’ll be a good reading experience too: I for one am a fan of having a big legion of doom style cast of villains and/or minions, orchestrating some secret conspiracy with sinister machinations and galactic-scale destruction interspersed with the occasional light-hearted antic (“those meddling time travelers” angle, etc.). The addition of a few supporting original characters, plus your intertwining with the Universe canon, would really help make it feel believable (especially considering Miho/Kiyo’s roles after TMiL are really only supportive, not much specific attention is given to them, leaves room for whatever).

I don’t really have any suggestions at this point, admittedly mostly because like I said I’d never even pondered the angles you’ve got here, I’d rather sit back and be surprised at what you’re going to do with it. I’m sure others, myself included, can help you more specifically along the way–sounds like Ninja and Mister L are on board conceptually as well–but as has been said, it’s fanfiction, you’re the fan, and as the Isley Brothers might say, do whatcha’ wanna do!

Llwchwr
        The advent of Ll shall begin, mwuahahaha.

This fanfic sounds like it has a lot of potential, I look forward to see what becomes of it.

WisperG
        Thanks Who, I’m glad you could tell I spent a long time thinking about this, even though I’m only part of the way done.

When I first came up with the idea to have a group of bad guys I didn’t think about the Legion of Doom similarities. It was only later that it crossed my mind. I find the fact that I unintentionally created a Legion of Doom-esque group of baddies to be incredibly awesome. Maybe I need to set up their base of operations in a swamp? Or at least give them a dedicated conference room 😆

I’m also twirling around the idea that Kagato may have been part of this Legion, before things went south for him, and possibly re-purposing Z to fit into the Universe timeline, but I shouldn’t get too carried away before I even start writing this thing ^^;

And don’t worry Ll. You will rise the ranks of fanfic stardom in due time, just as planned… gendo1

Nobuyuki
        Participant

WisperG wrote:

Maybe I need to set up their base of operations in a swamp? Or at least give them a dedicated conference room

Make sure they all have pants, that will head off troubles later. 😉

segaman4
        THIS HAS SOME POTENTIAL.IT COULD BE LIKE A SITCOM OR EVEN A SCI FI DRAMA COMEDY. kiyonesmile1
        ookamilord
        Participant
        it would be funny to see mihoshi and cthulu in a story even if its a side bit where they have tea time and kiyone is like how. the mihoshi gives this stare badass1 and says all he wants is a friend
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.