The Daughter of Darkness

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime The Daughter of Darkness

• This topic is empty.
    When Tenchi fans talk about the different Tenchi shows they normally talk about the OVAs, Tenchi Universe, and Tenchi in Tokyo.

Tenchi fans don’t talk about the movies nearly as much.

Giving that Christmas was last month I thought now was the perfect time to talk about the second Tenchi movie Tenchi Muyo! Daughter of Darkness also known as Tenchi Muyo! Manatsu no Eve.

Daughter of Darkness has always been my favorite of the Tenchi movies. It’s based on one of the novels written by Naoko Hasegawa.

Hasegawas Tenchi canon is somewhat based off of the OVAs(she was a script writer for the first OVA). There’s a great TenchixRyoko scene in the movie.

There’s a Christmas theme to the movie. The character of Mayuka is cute and likeable. This movie also has a few things in common with Tenchi in Tokyo.

Funfact Mayuka’s english voice actress also did the voice of Sakuya in TIT.

Once again the voice actors all do a great job. Especially Barbara Goodson as Yuzuha.

Speaking of which Yuzuha is another great Tenchi villain. And I love her character design.

And last but not least DOD has a great soundtrack.

Here’s the main theme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhqvlgvIEmk

So what does everyone else think about Daughter of Darkness?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Replies
      Anonymous
      Well I think part of the reason people only talk about those series and not the movies is because largely, the movies weren’t shown to as many people, the first movie had its runs on North America’s Sci-Fi channel, but that also wasn’t shown in a prime-time slot.

But getting back on the subject of Daughter of Darkness, like the other 2 movies, I find that it’s uniqueness stands out and I find it hard to put the movies in sequential order of how much I liked them.

Daughter of Darkness really brought the homely slice-of-life aspect back to the Masaki household, but of course did it in only a way the Tenchi house could.

I think of everyone who’s worked with the characters, Hasegawa really understands how they work the best, “what makes them tick” so to speak (Okuda does a really good job aswell), the scene between Ryoko and Ayeka at the lake is one of those moments that often gets overlooked in other continuities that really drives home the bond everyone in the house has, and that there are different dynamics in different situations and that Tenchi doesn’t ALWAYS have to be present for real emotion to take place.

Yuzuha and Mayuka were great not only as far as the story was concerned, but even though you knew they were the antagonists, you were given reason’s to love and hate them, it wasn’t simply just because they didn’t like the Masaki Household or Tenchi. Yuzuha as a villain especially was a nice change of pace.

Of course the Dub was good, though this was one of the first times that Bob Pappenbrook, Rebecca Forstadt and Wendee Lee took the roles they did, I felt Barbara Goodson swayed any doubt I may have had with them out the window because, as always, she did a phenomenal job.

It’s also one of the few times we see a seasonal side to the Masaki household (like Yugi mentioned).

I really like Daughter of Darkness. Though its length makes it feel more like an extended episode rather than a film as such, and Mihoshi/Kiyone get lost in the pack a little, there’s a lot to enjoy, and I find it’s the Tenchi movie I re-watch the most. Really like the showdown in Yuzuha’s world, complete with killer cuddly toys!
      Yugi12
      I agree with Dagon that Hasegawa really understood how the characters work and what makes them tick.

I kind of wish that she had been the script writer for OVA 2&3. I wonder what kind of state the Tenchi franchise would be in nowadays if she had stayed.

It’s clear that she and Kajishima didn’t see eye to eye on which direction to take the characters.

Too bad more of her novels were never made into movies.

Ballsmagee01
      i found it very entertaining to watch only cus its somthing that was different to see. and like you said yugi that it had references to many of the serise
      Sublyminal
      Participant
      I liked DoD except for one part and Ryoko fans will know which part that was.
      Ballsmagee01
      ahhh yes……that scene…..
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I enjoy all the movies for different reasons. It’s actually difficult to pick a favorite because of that fact. Yuzuha is a memorable villain–she seems so despicable, but really is another one of those Tenchi antagonists you end up feeling sorry for by the end (& like Tenchi Forever another instance in which Yosho’s past seems to catch up to him for successive generations to sort out).

It’s also a very similar dynamic to TiT: an ‘intruder’ in the group dynamic, and predictably, Ryoko and Ayeka are not very keen on her (especially Ryoko). This allows for some intense dramatic moments–such as the one Sublyminal alluded to–that reach, arguably even surpass similar ones in TiT in an incredibly short amount of time without feeling rushed (one rather short movie compared to an entire series, not that I’m trash-talking TiT).

Even the existence of Mayuka as an entity and her autonomy/lack thereof to her creator Yuzuha is reminiscent of Sakuya as Yugi’s “shadow” as is her being reborn and the prospect of her joining the Masaki household in the future.

You can’t help but see the irony in Mayuka’s and Sakuya’s dub voice being the same actress 😆

There’s even some funny moments; one in particular for me is K.T. Vogt as an evil teddy bear (I don’t have official citation on this, but tell me that’s not Washu in evil teddy bear form)

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIYUakCglg8[/BBvideo]

Yeah that’s pretty obviously Vogt’s voice, she did one or two supporting characters in Muyo and Universe too.
      Yugi12
      I love the talking stuff animals. And yes that is K.T. Vogt as the teddy bear.

Oddly the slapping scene never really bothered me. I think that the reason why I’m so forgiving is because it gives us that great TenchixRyoko rooftop scene which is one of my favorite Tenchi scenes.

Sublyminal
      Participant

Yugi12 wrote:

I love the talking stuff animals. And yes that is K.T. Vogt as the teddy bear.

Oddly the slapping scene never really bothered me. I think that the reason why I’m so forgiving is because it gives us that great TenchixRyoko rooftop scene which is one of my favorite Tenchi scenes.

That is the only reason why I still like the movie, was the part after it all happened.

I think Tenchi slapping Ryoko out of sheer frustration is a very important moment in the context of the film, no idea why it angers people so much.
      Ballsmagee01
      Well it never got angry about it but I understand why he did it. And also that roof scene was one of the unforgettable moments in Tenchi
      LOL I don’t remember any roof scene…
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

charliepanayi wrote:

I think Tenchi slapping Ryoko out of sheer frustration is a very important moment in the context of the film, no idea why it angers people so much.

Me, neither. 😉

Quote:

LOL I don’t remember any roof scene…

Really? :?

AstroNerdBoy

Yugi12 wrote:

I agree with Dagon that Hasegawa really understood how the characters work and what makes them tick.

Well, she was certainly surprised by Kajishima-sensei’s vision on characters, especially Washu. She just saw Washu as a loon, not a choushin.

Quote:

I kind of wish that she had been the script writer for OVA 2&3. I wonder what kind of state the Tenchi franchise would be in nowadays if she had stayed.

Actually, she only wrote two scripts from what I understand and I think did some polish work (the entire story was Kajishima-sensei’s from what I understand). However, her vision for Aeka wasn’t the one Kajishima-sensei had. From what I understand, Kajishima-sensei saw Aeka as a stronger character who was willing to accept Yosho’s death and move on while Hasegawa-sensei saw Aeka as a more tragic character, and that’s what ended up in the final script.

Quote:

Too bad more of her novels were never made into movies.

Actually, I always wondered why the entire light novel series wasn’t made into a TV series. It would have been cheaper than movies.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

AstroNerdBoy wrote:

Actually, I always wondered why the entire light novel series wasn’t made into a TV series. It would have been cheaper than movies.

Yeah that certainly would have been a more economical approach. Maybe it was Hasegawa’s preference to only animate one novel, or perhaps they had plans in the works, but the movie didn’t perform well enough or something. Or maybe the other novels simply weren’t as good as this one was. I mean, aside from the barest of descriptions we really don’t know what’s in the novels or how they read, and perhaps they just weren’t deemed good enough. I would have loved to see Hasegawa’s introduction of Kiyone Makibi, however, just to finally learn something of her backstory.

Anyway, as for this movie itself, I too was never angered or enraged by the slapping scene. I was certainly shocked by it, as it’s a much more forceful and sudden action than we’ve seen in Tenchi’s character so far, but on the whole I thought it was used remarkably well to reveal depths of their characters and eventually bring them closer for it.

Tenchitor
      I like the daughter of darkness,awesome movie!! :Tenchismile:
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.