The History Of Tenchiverse Forums

Forums Getting Started Guides The History Of Tenchiverse Forums

• This topic is empty.
    Due to some folks asking about previous history of the Tenchi fandom, I decided that while I still have the memory to do so, it’d be worth while to write it down so our successors could understand what had happened in the past, and perhaps learn and do us one better.

I’ll note here ahead of time three things:

1. You’re welcome to correct me if I’m wrong. This is simply the best recollection my memory and what records I have access to, could provide.

2. As you will come to find in this narrative, some serious stuff went down that was purposely kept from being public knowledge, in some cases, there may still be bad blood there. As such, some names will be omitted. For the people that were around during those times, I don’t doubt they can piece together who is who. There’s nothing I can do about that.

3. Far as I’m concerned, I’m going to tell it like it was. Meaning, if I say things were bad, then they were to me. I have no intention of this being a theatrical production, making someone out to be better or worse than they were. I’ve no desire to start up old wars. If you’ve got an issue with what I have to say, you’re welcome to take it up with me directly by PM or e-mail. Ain’t like I’ve been hiding anywhere over the last 12 years.

Ok so grab some chips and a drink, this will take a while to read….

To start from the top, like many of those reading this, I was first exposed to Tenchi from Toonami. For those not familiar with it, Toonami was a big deal in the USA as it was really the most widely televised block of anime on TV anywhere at that point in time. Many series were broadcast, but Tenchi was one of the shows that started around July of 2000. Really I had been exposed to anime previously, but wasn’t conscious of what it really was… it’d just been really good cartoons, up until Gundam Wing came about and I got hooked (I’m a mecha fan).

So I’d been exposed to Tenchi in the early 2000’s but while it was good, didn’t really hook me too much. The Tenchi that aired back then was also heavily edited for USA TV, some of the notable changes being editing out of nudity and alcohol, language, etc.

Due to Toonami’s success, other networks eventually hopped on the anime bandwagon, one being TechTV. TTV was unsurprisingly, a tech and all things gadgety network, but they launched a program called AnimeUnleashed (12 – 2002) on the evening slot. It showed at least 1 episode of two different series back to back, and they tended to be themed toward older teenagers. By this time Cartoon Network had come up with Adult Swim as the “mature” late night block version of Toonami. So AU was sort of a middle ground, not Toonami, but not Adult Swim either.

Eventually Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure was shown, and I loved it. It had a more tame relationship between the characters, had giant robots, good food, family, and a drop of sci fi going for it.

Now before we get ahead of ourselves, let me set the stage. We’re talking 2001-ish when Google didn’t really work well. Geocities and AOL Hometown, along with Yahoo ruled the “personal web page” space. Internet Explorer 3 and 4 were normal. Web rings were popular if you wanted to connect with fans of similar things. The animated GIF was “awesome” to everyone. We didn’t have message boards so much as bulletin boards… which I guess for the younger folk, you could say they were like a comments section on YouTube. One thing after another someone posted on a single topic and it stuck there, making a post chain. It wasn’t pretty. Forum avatars were often limited to 25×25, 50×50, and woah 80×80 if you were pushing it. Forum signatures were often like.. 50×250 max.

Ok exiting grandpa mode… but it wasn’t quick or simple to do anything in those days.

I’d been on the net for a good while by this time, using AOL dialup of course. Going through 1000 sites one by one in search results took me 8 – 12 hours of the morning… but I’d do it (don’t ask about the parents & phone bill). But I’d never joined a forum. TechTV I considered a safe place, it’d been around a long time… I lurked for a while. Finally decided to join the AnimeUnleashed (AU) section, specifically for Dual.

People were having fun, posting questions, ideas for more or what might happen in the next episode. All the usual fandom questions. We had a few people that were writing fanfiction, good stuff, just in the starting stages. Since two series were played on AU, Dual got paired up at one point with Crest of the Stars, which was a space focused anime. We had people that jumped back and forth between the Dual and CotS sections. A couple memorable events we had were running post on the fly – ongoing fanfiction. We had THE INSANE thread which was so many crossovers, it couldn’t be caterorgized. We had Dual with NGE, and Betterman, and Robotech, and Trigun, and Star Wars, and Gundams, and whatever else… and oddly enough.. it was whacked out, funny, and it worked. We had giant anime battles for some reason going on inside a Super Star Destroyer (that had crashed into Peacemillion) with Vash running around shooting guns with rubber bullets. Akamatsu Industries from Betterman helping supply Dual robots and EVA units. The writers also participated as their own characters or avatars in the story, often Jedi or characters from Xenosaga, other anime they liked. That’s what they derived their powers from and determined what they were writing into the story. So really we were sorta doing a RPG fanfiction without all the stats.

Anyway, I wanted in on that action, so I picked a name that was based on things I liked at the time. JediGundamZinv. Around that first Christmas AU was on, the writers did a big parody of the wedding from Betterman, of course with all sorts of other characters partying and fooling around, doing karaoke, making (really touching) speeches, whatever. It was great fun to read.

But as things were, posting at the TTV boards was a little restrictive. I’d known about DualFans, a fansite for Dual of course, for a while but hadn’t decided to join there. But several of the “important” posters moved over to DualFans, and things got lighter or a bit slow. So I joined as well. At this time the site admin’s handle was Kazuki, just a guy in the Phillippeans using prepaid cards to get some dial-up so he could make little updates to his fansite. Dual had shown overseas before due to another network prior to AU picking it up. But he had a very basic fan site, and originally a bulletin board. Kazuki upgraded it to a very early phpBB forum not long before I joined. So a lot of the fans shifted to DualFans, we grew to quite a few regular posters. Things were good.

Well, you know what they say about all good things right? TechTV was going to be sold off (2004) since Paul Allen was simply tired of watching his tech network. There were also rumors that Comcast’s G4 sort of started a cable network hostile take over of sorts to lower the value of TTV. In reality it was way ahead of it’s time, but Allen sold TTV to MTV. The regular show hosts were told if they were not willing to relocate to southern California, they were fired immediately. Several of the big names of the network like Leo Laporte, who’d been with the network and did many shows, stood up for the other hosts, and was canned or basically was forced to leave of their own accord. As a result TechTV became G4TV and eventually just G4. During that transition, the show quality tanked. The forums were at almost riot level. People did not want this… TechTV was awesome, it was needed, there was nothing else like it anywhere. AnimeUnleashed got stuck on a death cycle of repeats before being cut. Several of the other primary shows were cut or completely mutated into nothing that had to do with tech. Everyone hated it. So before the final axe swing came down… people had mostly said their goodbyes and were bleeding from TTV’s boards (which we told were to be closed for no good reason) like someone who got dropped down an elevator shaft. The Crest of the Stars fans (notably some fans of Dual in there too) fled to the Abh Nation fansite. The Dual folk fled to DualFans. G4 pulled the plug and we lost all our old posts and the Insane thread… which had gone on it’s 3rd or 4th version, usually 350+ thread pages long before we got the thread locked and made a new one.

So DualFans was still booming though (03 ~ 04), several of the members that were mature, usually the fanfic authors, or people that had “stuff” like the US DVDs became moderators since the site had grown. The phpBB got upgraded to a green theme, Kazuki was trying to update his site some, but didn’t have the time, both in life or due to the prepaid Internet cards he had to use. You can see a old archived snapshot of the site here: http://web.archive.org/web/20050207033247/http://dualfans.host.sk/forum/index.php

Our fanfic section was booming, one of the greatest things to come out of it was COhugh’s Spaghetti or Curry fic, which when finished got virtually unanimous approval that it should be the sequel or was worthy of being called the continuation of Dual. How often so you see fans agree on something unanimously?

Some of the “big names” then were COhugh, Shadowdance, Andyscout, Xtor49, Xearo, Neo7, animegodfather, Tyr_13, Jacob Keyes, Jet981, JediInuyasha, cap, mr. winkie, DivineEternal. What seems amazing to me today is that we all got along so well. I can count the times any of the moderators did something “mod-y” on one hand, and it usually was something to the affect of “hey get back on topic.” Dual was unique in that if you liked it, you probably had a bunch of other things you liked that fit with everyone else too. It was like a perfect filter. Granted it was mostly a guys hangout, but we had a total of 3 female members, and even there, they were either put on a pedestal or treated like just another guy in the gang. None of the gender hate or abusive comments you find everywhere on forums these days.

But we had probably 30-40 regulars on the forum, maybe double that in people that came or went. At our all time peak, I think we had over 340 members (in 2005). Anyway (back to 03 here) I thought the board was nice and the site had some stuff, but we were pretty lacking in media and things. First thing being like our avatars on the forum.. We had like 2 of each major character… so about 10 to choose from. That wasn’t cool. So I did my thing, scoured the web for Dual pics and other fansites, snagging everything I could find. Figured out how to use Photoshop 5, which we had laying around the house and never installed for some reason… and made 500 avatars. Loaded them up to AOL hometown, and sent a copy to Kazuki, who was understandably overwhelmed (the forum couldn’t even hold that many avatars lol). But from then on I volunteered as his right arm, trying to collect everything I could to bring it to DualFans.

In those “travels” I found that Dual was actually a fairly popular thing in Japan. There’d been Mitsuki Sanada fan clubs, a real club with a button badge, with chapters in different major cities in Japan. There were Japanese fan sites. There were things like Dual soundtracks. Back then I hadn’t discovered machine translation (which was in it’s infancy anyway) so I didn’t dive in too much. I focused more on english sites and constantly ran into Tenchi Muyo related information… how Tenchi and Dual were somehow related. Even the fans that owned the DVDs would say things about how Tenchi and Dual were similar. So in my quest for more and more Dual, I decided to go lurk among the Tenchi-ites.

Back then, the Tenchi fandom was.. mostly either real young fans, or older fans who’d probably seen it off a VHS copy tape somewhere. Many were also outside the USA, a fair portion were from Europe. But the fan sites weren’t great in number, or I just didn’t really look for them. In any case, I ended up at AIC International’s own forum. AIC being the company in Japan that produces Tenchi, Dual, and a few dozen other series. They had a USA or english site, and forum, and it was broken down into sub categories by series, this being the AIC YaBBS.

Now the Tenchi section here, had quite a few of the personalities that would direct the course of the fandom in the years to come. At AIC is where I first met AstroNerdBoy (ANB), and many other fans that you could say were well known. When I got into the picture, I pretty much lurked and listened. AIC had a Dual section, but it was pretty much dead. The action was in the two or three Tenchi sections they had. At that time, this was a little bit before GXP was released in Japan. People were hanging on every little tidbit of info to come out of Japan… either by the handful that knew Japanese, or through owners of doujinshi, news articles. Did I forget to mention animenewsnetwork.com had just started gaining notoriety around this time? But generally it was good info. GXP came out episode at a time, supposedly there would be big ties with Dual, I was excited, but most of the Tenchi folk were far less than enthused due to the OVA 3 info coming out then. Generally we had to wait till someone imported a copy of the tape/DVD, or wrote up an account of it to get any idea if what was going on. We couldn’t have a guy just upload something to YouTube like it is now.

So anyway GXP Ep. 17 parallel came and went. Everyone then was calling what we know today as Idol, was ZINV (ie Dual’s mecha). There were similarities to Dual, as we heard third hand. I tried to relay things back to DualFans, which was starting to wind down. Our members were wondering when there was going to be a sequel… no one understood that Dual was already a couple years old by the time we got it, and how the whole anime publishing thing worked back then… we just wanted more… yesterday. So between Kazuki trying to update and add stuff to the site, and fanfic author’s not putting out much, we sort of entered a cooling off period. TechTV was long dead in our eyes (late 04 ~ 05). Somewhere in here I managed to get enough money together to buy the Dual US DVD’s box set. Finally I had something to reference and could know what the other leaders on the forum knew!

So I got to posting at AIC a little. AIC also had a cool little hidden section for members where they stashed wallpapers they created for fans to download. I’d talked to the admin / manager of the forum (ie one guy running it) about why didn’t their Dual product page have anything on it besides a place holder image? He said they planned to put various things there in about 2-3 months.

Well 2-3 months came, and the admin suddenly announced that the forum would be closing in about a month (3/04). Of course that sort of threw everyone into a tizzy. We had people planning to make backups of the AIC YaBBS, people making goodbye threads, etc. AIC never really gave a reason. It basically wasn’t profitable to keep it going. It’s my personal feeling that they closed it because they feared for information that was coming out of the Tenchi section, would somehow impact their sales. I could see that – as GXP wasn’t being received really well., OVA 3 was pissing people off left and right. We knew it, they knew it… so they did damage control. The whole “Tenchi chooses who” thing was such a big deal back then too… you’d think someone’s entire being was dependent on their favorite girl getting Tenchi. With the news on OVA 3 and Tenchi getting a random fiancé in the picture… people were outright disgusted. They hadn’t seen it either, no dub had been made. GXP was leaving people with a sour taste and it wasn’t out of the gate entirely either. The “Tenchi chooses everyone” ending to the OVA didn’t sit well with many either. Some preferred to wait till they could see it for themselves, some were ok with the idea, some jumped ship then and there. So the AIC forum closing down… somewhat came at a crossroads for many fans anyway.

The AIC board people split 3 ways. A small contingent went to BobN64’s Seidou.org aka The Sanctuary forum, which if I recall he created as a direct result of AIC closing. A few more people went to Tenchiboard, and the largest group went to AyekaFanClub, which had a web page and a ezboard based forum.

AFC had been around since 1999, and was started I think by Lesell Charis (eventually passed to Beagle-san). Tenchiboard I think was younger than AFC, but they went more toward the direction of having character and series info built right into the sidebar of the forum/site. Far back as I can remember, AFC’s site had a little thing on cat of the month, which was stuck on Beagle-san’s(?) cat, we had the AFC gong, to ring when you stopped by. But everything was done up in pink, white, and purple for Ayeka. Tenchiboard had a darker green and black theme going for it. The Sanctuary has always been dead gray. You can see an old archive of the AFC site here: http://web.archive.org/web/20050207101917/http://ayekafanclub.org/ny/aeka/Frames.html

But some of the notable names at AFC were Watotsu, MaryRN51, Jeff Morris, GenSao, True Sheol, Harls, Fudo, Literary Eagle, AFC Possum, AstroNerdBoy, rolf, Jeffery Harris, Admiral Tigerclaw, Beagle-san, antvasima, Y Anthony Who, Kiyoka Makabi, punistation, Kthardin, conawn, shadow writer, BlaqueTalon, TKIA Lan, Mohawk52, K’thardin, S.Naoe, oni_shin. To name a few anyway….

The best I can describe the original AFC was that it was open to new people coming in, but very heavily opinionated. If you said something stupid or incorrect, be prepared to get hit from no less than 3 replies showing you just where you’re wrong. While there would be great debates, heated debates, little quote wars, most of the players so to speak were the older Tenchi fans, so while things got heated… eventually they’d break from chewing on each other, get offline for a while, then come back and hit it again – or let the topic drop. It was a little more mature is what I’m trying to get at. Since they were older, they also had that one thing most of us did not – money. Meaning they had little collections of their own, or had unique knowledge of Japanese sites, etc. They were powerful resources, and at the same time carried some weight around.

But as you can imagine, drop a DualFan into a Tenchi crowd, who starts preaching or trying to ties things together to show how Dual and Tenchi mixed… and it wasn’t taken all that well. Again, recall that GXP wasn’t too hot except with specific people. GXP tied to Dual. So the preferred method of dealing with someone such as myself was to counter argument most everything brought up. No Dual had nothing to do with Tenchi OVA! Kajishima says they are only connected at the corners! Nothing more! Kiyone Makabi in ep. 14 of Dual is just a cel artist joke. The light hawk wings of Jinbu mean nothing. The fact Kazuki Yotsuga is the emperor’s father and shown in GXP, and just happens to have the same name as in Dual, means nothing. The Washu bioroids have no connection to D. No no no no no no… you’re full of it, leave it alone, there’s all this Japanese stuff that disproves anything you have to say. Getting the picture yet?

Well I’m stubborn, I saw how it fit even if they didn’t. They might know Tenchi, but I knew Dual. Dual was simply one layer in a infinite layer cake, along with Kajishima’s other series. I stuck around, posting when I could, picking up info, relaying what I found to DualFans. It may be of interest to note to fans that once upon a time, Kajishima did have a english website where fans could send in question by e-mail, already or preferably translated, and they might get a reply back. As it was, this is how we got the TM! 101 Secrets book. But for whatever reason, it was closed… I think we guessed it was spam or abuse at the time. AIC had a little note that all fan-mail was to go through their site from then on. *hint hint wink wink*

I sort of slunk back to DualFans for a while at this point. Didn’t frequent the Tenchi forums much. We had a couple of nice things happen, some of our members were finding loved ones, going on first dates, etc. But pretty much I’d say this was the start of where things went downhill.

DualFans had it’s first crash, something to do with the host screwing up a update. Took us down for a week or so. People took it in stride. About a week later it did it again, didn’t seem to be anymore problems. To be safe Kazuki backed things up. We’d upgraded the site and forums again, new theme, fresh coat of paint. Things had slowed down to mostly a core group of members and a handful of regular pop ins. We still had some fanfiction ongoing, but it was like book or series 4 of what started more than a year prior. It was good, but getting old. I’d managed to pick up the Dual US BESM Fan Guide by then and a bootleg OST (hey I was young and didn’t know the difference till I got it, still reported em to the FBI). So we were adding content in. Things were kinda stagnant though.

I think it was in spring when we got hacked. Over the whole web it seemed there was a major organized effort of overseas script kiddies going through and exploiting holes in what was poor phpBB security at the time. They hit a lot of forums everywhere. I can recall that I was starting to look at AnimeExpo and their forums even got taken out for a few days. So this was probably early 2005. Abh Nation that I’d finally reconnected with, got hit too, but they had people with IP security training and web development skills. They warded off the hacker attempts and kept on truckin. AFC I think was mostly ok. Tenchiboard got wiped or taken down for a couple weeks until someone in management noticed it was broken.

By this time too it’s worth noting that a lot of fansites started to fade away. The web rings were more like asteroid belts than connected sites. You hit or missed. In many cases I think the anime boom of the early 2000’s was winding down. Many people had websites up from the late 90’s and they simply expired, the hosting ran out, links didn’t work, no one remembered to update them. Unbelievable amounts of information was lost as lights winked out slowly but surely, not just for Dual, but Tenchi and other sites for what we’d now consider “classic anime.” Commercialism and mainstream anime took hold or at least came to the forefront in this period. Animenation’s store came into being, ANN was booming, this was also around the time that Toonami was going downhill in terms of their content. We hadn’t gotten to the Naruto’s and Bleach’s yet. Fullmetal Alchemist was about 3-6 months off from being on TV. The convention scene was growing painfully, but it was growing. I saw painfully because many big or “original” cons were suffering for funding and new content. We were in a transition period where con’s weren’t really together with any publishers, or sponsors back then. Trying to get guests or panelists was more about who you knew, or if someone cool just wanted to show up. It was much more informal and fan made than what we have now. Some cons died, some new ones rose in their places. Amazon.com was becoming a well known name.

I’m not sure if Geocities was taken down around this time or not, I think it was later around 2009. But that was like… getting knifed in the gut. Geocities had been a bastion for what old sites were still around. It closed fairly abruptly and took what felt like 1/3rd the Internet with it. Oddly I found out later that the Japanese branch never went offline, as of this writing it’s still running. Maybe what I’m thinking of is AOL Hometown…. which was like a offshoot of Netscape and AOL, which gave you something like 5 MB free storage online (woo hooo!). When they closed quite a few personal or mini anime pages disappeared. More so it was collections of GIFs, icons, little zip files and collections of stuff. Game sprites and things were pretty common. One guy from DualFans, MastaX.. had.. oh maybe 1000 animated GIFs on there. I stored all my avatars and banners on there. So while I had backups… all that went poof off the net. Many young startup web hosts were dying off too. So you could say that a good portion of the net had a lot of broken links, broken images, and so forth.

If I was making chapter titles, here’s where I’d put “downfall.”

From here on I’m going to be not mentioning particular names. Trust me it’s harder on me writing this “not” to mention them…

2005 wasn’t a good year. First off we had the above happening, second DualFans was getting slower and slower. Still had a decent core contingent but getting a hold of Kazuki was really hard. He’d vanish for months at a time. We’d had some prominent members sort of vanish, Kazuki elected me as global moderator and gave me the title Dual Guardian. Ganted nothing much by today’s standards, but I was honored.

I’ll get back to DualFans in a minute, but over at AFC they were having a multi part problem. One I think GXP got dubbed first by Funimation. A guy either from, or was working with Funi that went by the name Tomato, was working frequently back and forth with ANB about the translation. It came out and sort of rammed home that original feeling from the AIC days. Very very few people cared for the humor that GXP had. The mass wedding (sorry spoilers!) at the end made everyone realize what had been said about OVA 3 was probably true. The Idol being in GXP, along with 3 dozen other hints to Dual, made a lot of the anti-Dual people get much quieter. Overall, it was a big turn off.. again. As a side note ANB by this time had acquired the TM:R FAQ from DeathQuaker, so he was fairly figure head-ish in the community. But reason two, was a contingent of members became… oh what to call it… rowdy, causing trouble for lack of energy outlets, generally being serious pains in the ass? This caused problems with the moderating staff at AFC, though they did a amazing job not showing it on the surface. A lot was handled back door style, over PMs and emails.

The other issue, was we were getting new members that were feeding that same fire. Late teens to mid twenties folk that just did not know how to filter their word port. If they weren’t drunk when posting, it wasn’t a good time. (No offense to those who enjoy their beer). So fights were frequent, they started over nothing, or someone barbing another purposely to get a ruse. Some were organized attacks under the surface against the leadership, being reported to the mod staff as personal attacks, so the mods would take action or reprimand someone. If you can imagine Ryoko and Ayeka going at it non stop, complaining, yelling, etc that’s a fairly accurate mental image here. Once in a while we had a decent topic, some series news… some thought provoking discussion, but in came the jolly band of trouble makers… and it got a lot of threads locked… a lot split. Week long temp bans were fairly common cause people wouldn’t quit picking on others. It was a barely moderated zoo.

So we started losing more and more of the “old guard” members. I remember Watotsu fed up and leaving in some level of disgust. True Sheol, before he left had been talking to me on Dual ideas, said that he’d agreed all along about the multiverse theory. The mature fans were fed up with the direction the OVA was going, having a multi partner harem ending or this fiance come out of no where didn’t sit right, GXP had burned the bridge, and the board devolving into a place you felt wasn’t worth your time… culminated in them saying “I’m done.” So they left, and so did a lot of the information, translation abilities, and level headed parts of the board.

Now I’ll also stick in here that the AFC admin/mod crew then was sorta mixed. You had several people that were all taking care of things, but it shifted like everything else as some members just weren’t around as much any more. Like Beagle-san had kids, but in 05 I think Katrina hit New Orleans and that’s where he lived. They’d evacuated, but their house was more a sewer than a home when they got back. He’d already been sort of back and forth before that. Possium was reachable once in a great while. Bottom line is that the last crew standing was Jeff and Mary Morris (RedRN51), ANB, and Beagle’d pop in if they needed something big decided on.

Now let me step off her and talk about Jeff and Mary a bit. My first meeting was with Red as she was a regular poster from back since AIC. She had a big thing for GXP, and was one of the most vocal opponents I had against Dual fitting into the Tenchi-verse. She certaily got top 3 anyway. She ran her own ezboard and site oni-hime.com which was called Seto’s Fan. It didn’t see a ton of traffic, but it had it’s on little contingent of oldies that’d post there. Jeff was well known for his fiction that he wrote. You probably couldn’t find any original AIC person that hadn’t read it. I didn’t talk with Jeff much unfortunately, I probably would have learned some things. Mary and I went round and round until the point I started doing auctions.

Ok sorry but side stepping again, got to talk about that. Since I’d been around, and my Dual hunts lead me to buying stuff from Japan, I got involved with overseas brokers and machine translation. This being back with AltaVista Babelfish was the only thing around. So I had a way of getting stuff from Japan, to me. At the time, at AFC people had been complaining about the lack of Tenchi goods in the USA, they wanted stuff. This went on for a bit, and I finally piped up… what if I import things and you buy them off me? I know how to get them, you want em, we can all benefit from getting some novels and doujinshi in here, then we can see for ourselves what’s happening with Tenchi. Well this was well received, I just about had a qeue of people looking to get something. I’d flatly stated if I spend the money, you guys agree to buy it off me, I’ll keep the price for my end low as I can.

Well I went to Yahoo Auctions, went through my broker, bought up Tenchi doujinshi in bulk, groups of 30 to 40 at a time. I had pretty much everything except the Nontans at that point. Spent bit over $1200 in that first round. But I got around 110 doujinshi all toll, and some extras like novels and other books that were in the groups. Ok so I come back to the board, been keeping everyone up to date on things coming in. After the import fees, shipping, broker, and a little something for my time, doujins were about $40 a pop. Very few people wanted to buy anything. You’re free to visualize a roughly 18 year old sitting at a desk with a “oh cra…” expression. I’d spent the money, got what everyone wanted and more… now no one would take it. Sure I had some sales, but nothing like people had claimed they’d do. Learned an important lesson about trust in business that way…

As it was, I had to lower the price and take a hit on most everything. Oddly enough though, I got more people doing special orders, wanting specific things. So while I was eating crow on the big batch of stuff, I was breaking even or a little better on the special orders that came as a result of everything else. So here why I brought all this up – Mary got a hold of me, was interested in finding some GXP stuff, wanted to sort of call a truce. No reason we couldn’t do business, even if we didn’t see eye to eye right? Sure I could deal with that. Surprisingly enough we actually got along pretty well after all that, she even made me a moderator eventually at her Seto’s Fan forum.

At this same time, remember that the crazies had their run of the board too. One newcomer had quite an ego, but he came baring information direct from Japan in the form of doujinshi scans and partial translations sometimes. So on some level he fit in, and on another level depending on who it was, people were twittipated over whatever he came up with. Two problems though, ego and he was posting scans of stuff I was trying to sell. I consulted the AFC admins… I understood he was well within limits to post whatever, and in his position I’d post things too. But, not when someone is right there, was on the board already, and it was well established I was trying to get rid off all the stuff. I was just asking the admins, what should I do here? Basically what I got was.. you need to just talk it out in private, we’re not going to do anything (I wasn’t asking them to). So I got on the PM horn, basically said, hey can you just be considerate of me here, I’m not in great shape, deals went wrong. I think what you’re doing is helpful on some level, could you just maybe wait till after my sales are done or give me a heads up on what you’re going to post scans of – maybe we can work together on this?

Which yes I was asking cause the constant barrage of a new scan of this or that, I’d had people cancel buying something from me. Had special orders that I got frankly told that the only reason they were going to finish sending me the money is they didn’t want to make it look (in public) like they held me out to dry. Cause the scans were out, why bother buying anything right? Scans somehow managed to get out about the time I got the stuff to me… so the hard part then was getting the deal to go through with payment.

So I got a response back. I was told there and publicly on the forum, in no uncertain terms, that he didn’t care if I was hurt or not by his actions, he was going to continue doing so, and if I didn’t like it, I could go fly a kite. (not actual words there, I’m being nice) Needless to say, we didn’t have much of a speaking relationship. I let ANB know, the AFC mods had a few run ins with the guy, usually coming to the point where he was telling them how to run the board. Like I said, ego. ANB made a offhanded quip about it at Seto’s Fan I think… I replied in agreement. I got PM’d in about 2 days with a high strung hot worded complaint / demand that I remove my comment. Something like it was damaging to his image or false information about him, and he deserved a honest and genuine apology.. blah blah blah. I ended up taking my comment down just to get him to leave me alone. In my reply I was clear that I wasn’t all too happy with him either thanks to him screwing me over time and time again with the scans. That didn’t matter to him. Anyway, he went after ANB too same deal. ANB edited it and back to the usual hell we went.

Ok so back to Marry and Jeff Morris, they along with ANB were the last of the mod staff for AFC. Marry and Jeff were pretty laid back to begin with, unless you were debating them. But it was pretty clear they were stressed and getting more and more fed up with the board. The stupidity, bashing, fighting, barbs, baiting, was in full swing thanks to a core little group of crazies that enjoyed chaos. Mary and Jeff were actually pretty patient people, but they were having trouble in life with moving and work, among other things. They’d had enough too.

Ok back to DualFans *awwwwww* Yes yes I know, but we have to keep some semblance of continuity right?

Ok so DualFans wasn’t in the best of shape either. Kazuki was often unreachable. Other than the Tenchi stuff I found or had acquired from the mega purchase of doujins, nothing new was coming our way. We knew it, the writing was on the wall Our catch phrase We Want More Dual… we knew it wasn’t coming to save the day. So people slowly were trickling out and beginning to stay gone.

At the same time, I hit probably the lowest point in my life up to that time. My mother left late one night under the guise of an excuse, to run off with another man after 20 years of marriage. She proceeded to rape, pilliage, and destroy everything we’d built. If she couldn’t have it no one could. Tried to drain all our funds and worst of all, took my much younger sister to guarantee herself a hostage of sorts. This was being done under the guidance of the man she decided to run to, who promised her money, and sweet temptations, which of course were lies he’d told to several women before. He’d had a petty grudge festering in his heart for those 20 years, and took his opportunity when it presented itself. But from her, the verbal abuse, the emotional abuse, it continued with the vehemence reserved for a star going nova. Things that should not be said to any child, ever, were said with glee and destructive passion.

So my soul, and emotional state was completely obliterated. Home life destroyed. School life went along with my mother, since she was registered as my home schooling teacher. I overnighted papers to her, to be graded and sent to the school, she “lost” them. I had to accept failing grades. We were not allowed to speak with my sister without her “captors” lording over the phone and recording what we said, one word out of line and the phone was ripped away. Much more could be described here of the injustice of it all, but that is not the purpose of this narrative….

At this time, in remorse, my soul weeping, I told the members at DualFans that I didn’t know if I could keep helping out, supporting the site and being around. too much was uncertain. There was no centerpoint to that world anymore. Perhaps to you the reader, this may seem childish to be concerned over such a thing. But I’d invested years here. These people were of a sort, my family too. Some of these friends I’d offered back and forth advice on the choice to propose and get married. To their credit, the members of that dear forum encouraged me, and helped in some small way to keep my whits during those first few rough months. I owe them a debt of gratitude, for their listening and support.

But our trials unfortunately were not over…

Kazuki and me had gotten together and he planned to do a final big blast for Dual by upgrading the forum and website to have everything I’d collected over the years, along with his own collection people had given him over time. He called it the Tribute to Dual. We’d been inviting people back to the site, doing interviews with the fanfic authors to go into an interactive fanfic section. We had galleries and info coming out of our eyeballs. Well sorta. We knew the site was winding down, but at least we’d go out with a bang and remain as a testament for any fans that came after us. Sort of sad, but we were happy to see people returning that had gone away.

Well the forum host… Host.sk (hey look em up they’re still around *spits like a cowboy*) decided that they were going to upgrade the database software system wide. Betcha can’t guess where this is going right? They screwed it up, to the tune of their entire network was crippled. Whatever databases didn’t get wiped, locked their own owners out of them. So Kazuki was locked out. Probably 10,000 other host.sk sites all frozen. But what we didn’t realize was with the databases gone, the system was eating itself from the inside too. So the forum was the first thing to fail, you got a corrupted database message. Host.sk thought they figured it out, the sites came back online for like… 8 hours, and were broke again. It never worked after that.

So the whole site gradually broke on it’s own, piece by piece, over time. It’s actually still locked that way on the last date it was active. If you aren’t afraid of trojan virus alerts, go take a look at dualfans.host.sk. Kazuki couldn’t do anything, I couldn’t do anything. It was like watching the body of a friend in a hospital rot away. I only had contacts over AIM with a handful of people. This went on for over a month. Kazuki had been having similar problems to mine in his home, which where keeping him from the site understandably. So I finally said enough, we need a temp forum if nothing else before we lost everyone.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Replies
      jgzinv
      So enter the Parallel World’s Community Forum. A freely hosted Invision Power Board.

The PWCF as we’ll call it, was using the free and ancient release of IPB 1.3. IPB was a big name in forum software, but they’d gone to a paid model after 1.3. There wasn’t much at all to choose from. You had SMF (the last DualFans forum was SMF after the phpBB attack got us) or phpBB pretty much. Being that we’d been there and crashed that… I went with IPB. I’ll tell you later why some of this is important.

But I setup the PWCF, sent out e-mails, IM’s, whatever I could to reach people. Told Kazuki it would be a tempoary forum till host.sk got their act together or we got a backup file. I managed to reach maybe 10 to 15 people, maybe as high as 20 tops over the lifetime of the PWCF. I spent many hours trying to hunt down screen names and e-mails for old members, didn’t get very far on my own. We had Andyscout, shadowdance, jacob keyes, mitsuki lover, animegodfather, neo7, cap, Xtor, Genkill00, and Xearo show back up over time. Managed to locate COhugh, who I’d always been on good terms with, and got a very angry worded reply back that he wanted nothing to do with us again. It was in very stark contrast to all he’d done for the community over the years. But there we sat pretty much, sort of hoping we’d hear one day that host.sk would fix itself. I made some forum banners, decorated the place. We started a real simple little translation section on the board, for machine translated using OCR. Found some more Japanese fan sites, loaded up a lot of pictures to Photobucket. Shadowdance and I were good friends, so we IM’d back and forth a lot. We started working on a online card game for Dual, using an online system called OCTGN, based off his fanfiction, the Dual series, and other info. Generally things were fairly bleak.

I began to also drift away from the fandom, I wasn’t a web designer – so I couldn’t build a new site. Kazuki was gone. All our work into the Tribute was shot and I didn’t even have most of those files on the site. The AFC was roughly a exercise in patience. I stopped by Tenchiboard to say hi and post what I had for sale in case anyone wanted it. My account and posts ended up being deleted for inactivity. Talked to BobN64 he offered us hosting if we wanted to rebuild DualFans, but again, no skills to do that with so we had to wait.

GXP dubbed did come out in the states from Funimation during this time. Picked up the DVDs that pertained to the Dual episodes, once again saw how every fit together in the overall Tenchi-verse. I also managed to get my hands on some stupid expensive copies of the Dual laser discs, DVDs, and other JP goods. In that process found out we’d been duped in the USA when it came to what was with the Pioneer DVDs. All that info, or what I could manage with all the other troubles in life going on, was put up on the forum. But in general, things were very dull and looking like we were going no where. I realized somewhere along the way that the PWCF wasn’t going to be a backup forum, it was all we had.

Let me cover another part of Tenchi forum history here, one that wasn’t ever really revealed to the public. In 2005 still, a new Tenchi forum was started up pretty quietly, this being TenchiHate. Now that’s hate as in Japanese (like ha ya te), it didn’t mean what it sounds like in English. If I recall right, the owners were a husband and wife pair that went by Quan and Mu. The main purpose of the forum was to translate the Tenchi novels, mainly the OVA set. Well word did get out to Tenchiboard and AFC, for a while it was very quiet, not many people went there. Quan and Mu released just a little material, some pages or chapters. What it ended up being was a whole bunch of people came over and the debates over this or that exploded. Most of it was really stupid, but everyone was hanging on every word again, demanding the latest translation from Quan or Mu. I can remember some really venomous threads, people damning other people for having an opinion or a high opinion of their own views. It got to the point I quit reading most of the posts as it was nothing but a slug fest, people starting even worse fights than at AFC because Quan and Mu just didn’t moderate their board.

Well TenchiHate vanished in the space of a night. We never heard from Quan or Mu again. People waited… waited, and then rumors started popping up about why they were wiped from the web. What I learned a year or two later, was that Quan had been contacted by the Japanese publishers of the novels, and had in no uncertain terms been threatened with serious legal action if he didn’t close down immediately. So what they accomplished, and all that therein, disappeared. This is why we can’t have nice things… Honestly I find it amazing that the publishers even knew of TenchiHate. It wasn’t promoted, it barely had been noticed on the main English forums. AIC had somewhat notoriously ignored the fandom since the closing of the AIC YaBBs, we were cut off from Kajishima (who he himself once said he was not aware his series were popular outside of Japan at all) so how it was “outed” or the details of all that I don’t know. Just has always seemed odd.

But anyway, I got a e-mail I think from ANB one day asking if I would help him admin or mod the AFC.

I replied back that I could, I supposed I would be able to part time or something. I’d run PWCF and modded DualFans. I had other issues to deal with too. ANB was pretty vague on why he needed me to help him.

So I got drafted basically, got admin access to the AFC’s private section. Jeff and Mary were fed up, had too many things going on in life, and frankly would have liked to choke the life out of some people. They were disgusted. Beagle-san could not and did not want to run the board full time, he was still living out of shelters or something due to Katrina. He wasn’t thrilled with the actions of the members either. The consensus was to close AFC down, the mature people had mostly left, Tenchi was winding down. Enough was enough. Might as well at least be the last ones to shut out the light.

ANB made a plea, and that being that if he couldn’t find some people to help him mod/admin the board in about a week, they’d close. Well ANB got me and Full Gonzo pretty much right away. I came in the admin section, promptly read everything… and was going back to ANB saying that he should have never let it get that far, he could have said something to me earlier. The old posts in the private section were littered back to the dawn of the board with moderation reports, discussions on what to do this time with person X, so n so is fighting with the other one for the billionth time, etc etc etc. So I sorta “got” why Jeff and Mary were leaving, mostly due to real life, but even though I read the logs and have been on the other side of the line so to speak, I didn’t understand what I was getting myself into in reality.

Around this same time, since I was mod at Seto’s Fan, antvasima or shadow writer also gave up on maintaining the Questions for Kajishima list, and requested someone to take it over. I sort of volunteered for that since no one else would. Basically it was a post, over 100 questions long of things the fans wanted to get answers to. The plan had been to pick a stopping point, get a translator to convert it and then send it to KM and AIC, hopefully get another 101 Secrets out of it. Well other than some tweaking, I didn’t do anything with it after I took control. Seto’s Fan just sat there most of the time. It’d crashed or got hacked in the past so the post counts were always way way off.

Well back to AFC. I wasn’t actually familiar with Gonzo much, as I said I’d been staying away from AFC for the most part. But he was an older gentleman, former school teacher, wasn’t a Tenchi zealot or anything, played brass instruments – level headed. He usually spent the most time at AFC, actually watching everything going on. ANB at the beginning was like around half the time. I was between ANB and Gonzo.

Now comes the hard part for me to describe, just how was the state of the board that we tok over. Well you had members that were on the fringe or generally tried to stay out of things. You had a couple knowledgeable folks left. Then you had either targets or attackers. Frequently we had to moderate threads for people trying to start crap by baiting other members…. and I mean constantly. If they weren’t insulting directly it was veiled. If they were stirring things like that up, they were having flame wars over the pm system through ezboard or over E-mail. If they weren’t making sexual comments about the characters, they were doing so against other members. Playing coy or stupid, brushing it off or playing with words was typical. The bottom line was their purpose in life was to cause chaos, other wise life was just too friggen boring for them to stomach. So pretty much every week, or other week, we’d have a temp ban. We’d have ANB telling people to back off, to which they replied that he enjoyed it.. blah blah blah. We also had a resident troll (yes I know that term applies to so many actually) that would spam the board with extremely vulgar posts, targeting the admin staff, but mostly aimed at ANB directly.

So here’s the thing. ezboard was old. It was 90’s software, probably millions of ezboards were made. It was centralized, so you could make one account and then post on other ezboards, or make a board local account. But it was just a hair above a BBS essentially. We couldn’t even split topics, move posts, pretty much any “standard thing” since like 2003. With everything centralized we couldn’t do much besides temp or permaban a user name from accessing the board. Problem was, all you had to do was start a new ez account and bang you’re back in. So trying to admin anything effectively, was futile.

In 2008, ezboard up and decided that they’d redesign their system and forcibly switch everyone to the new Yuku system. Besides the outages that messed with the board several times, they managed to move us over eventually. There really was nothing to love about the update. Lots of things broke like the color scheme and backgrounds we had for the AFC. I’d almost say adminning got harder not easier. Ads were integrated into everything, where as before we’d had members pay for ad free premium service.

At this same time, the primary pain in our side was visibly trying to incite displeasure in the members against us and the Yuku change. If someone goes around and whispers in enough ears, and complains enough to get on that person’s side like they are fighting for a cause, they can rally troops. So we had a mild little uprising of members bitching and moaning about how things were and saying we should step down and the de facto leader of the uprising be put into our place. Of course this person acted as though they’d done nothing, it’d be an honor to be placed in that position if that’s what the members wanted. Manipulative BS. Well we weren’t having any of that, they couldn’t force us to stop adminning the board, and there was no way to usurp us directly. So it’s like the village farmers beating on the door of the castle gate. No way to get in, so they could only make noise and just get tired.

In truth, since the Yuku switch we’d been talking about moving the AFC already. Between all the problems, ezYuku wasn’t working. I brought up a few times to ANB that we’d be better off moving – why not use the same system as my PWCF? At that time it’d been stable, I knew the controls, it’d give us much more to work with. We checked out a couple systems, ANB picked the IPB finally. We had already setup a test board, which we configured to do what we wanted. We finally spilled the beans that we would be making a mandatory move to the new board, and the old one would be closed, but viewable. Well of course our little firestarter piped up like they’d won a great victory, the people had spoken and the admins had bowed to their demands… well whatever floats your boat.

So people moved over, notices were made to Tenchiboard and Sanctuary. We had the usual moving pains. Yuku like it was, there was no database we could grab, in order to move posts, so that all had to be left behind. People complained about the board style not being a BBS type, etc etc. But we had much better admin controls, we had logs, we had tools and things now. A few of the “fringe” people came back to the board and tried to post, hoping thing would be better with the promise of a new forum.

In general, I’d say we lost about a third of the usual posters in the move. Still had the usual trouble makers, but things were toned down a little bit. We got some new members, like Will1984 and ChaosCore that helped me with doing some translation of the doujinshis. conawn, who by that time went by Kamiki Takashi Jurai, also helped some.

We had a rules post on the board, but we still had problems, notably suggestive or hentai material being posted by certain people, picking on other members. Same old problems, just they came and went, it ebbed and flowed like the tide. They’d cause everyone to pull their hair out, then back off just enough, let it settle, then start again. Come to think of it it’s like a military torture process to get you to break.

So things got dull again, a new board does not a new series make. ANB was working as a mod for the Funimation forums I think by then. So I think we’d been in the loop as to OVA 3 and it was starting to come out on DVD. GXP had been running in an endless loop on the Funimation Channel, which was a couple hour anime block on Sat TV. But when things get boring, the trolls get antsy. So back to the trying to start up topics by any means necessary to hear themselves talk again…

I’ll also state here that from then on we got a constant increase in attacks by “vulgar troll” – when we moved it was all “it” declaring victory and expletives and BS, I get tired thinking about it. Anyway we got hit with spam bots, all the InvisionPlus hosted boards did. The software was old, and wasn’t secure enough, nor did the host care enough to put in proper measures against it. So we ended up having to lock down the board, put everything on administration approval only. That didn’t help matters with the members any. Me and Gonzo were watching the board round the clock at all hours trying to catch spam posts. Managed to only let a few slip through out of several hundred a day. We finally got a different captcha put on the board that dealt with that issue mostly.

Let me step off to the side here to talk about the Abh’s before I finish off AFC’s and PWCF’s stories.

As I said a ways back, most of the TechTV folk fled to the Abh Nation. They had a paid IPB board with the support, new bells and whistles. They had older members that had jobs, paid for the hosting and expenses, as well as were network or web security trained. They had people that knew Japanese, they had many well rounded members that stuck around. They had elections for staff, bylaws, sort of a charter. To me they were kind of the ideal 1 series board and site setup. The site owner there went by ACIDSTEALTH. I’d been over there as I’d also liked Crest and Banner of the Stars. Tried to stop by an see what was going on. During the big multi board hack attempt they managed to ward them off, another concentrated attack directly against Abh Nation years later was dealt with over a couple months. One big highlight for them was Tokyopop came to them to help with the translation of the Crest of the Stars novels for the domestic US release (CotS has it’s own full alphabet as well). They got credited in the shelf copies. But there was a split among the members due to their work being leaked, that tained several things.

During the PWCF’s sluggish period I was looking for any way to maybe build up the site. I knew by then that single series focused forums, without new information, without members willing to participate, or without tons of money input, were doomed to fail. In the latter years of AN members left the site due to what I would l find out later was Acid frankly being a jerk and trying to assert too much control. So after a big split where AN lost almost the whole staff team, and quite a few of the regular members – Acid was looking to also beef up their forum again. I forget who made the initial proposal, but we started talking about combining forums. Ended up all he was willing to do was make a subsection inside another subsection, for Dual, and we would not be allowed to bring over any posts… we’d have to close the old board. I’d be assigned to moderate only that subsection, while we’d be expected to use and post in all the regular Abh parts of the board. Well that’d strip us totally of any identity as DualFans. It wasn’t a merger, it was leasing a billboard on the side of the road. So I said no.

In the end, Acid was being more of a dictator over how everything was to be done and run (granted it’s his site/board) and that pushed people away. He wanted to get into other things, felt betrayed or something by the people that left. No one was allowed to talk about them, so as you can imagine – he finally said he was closing AN. This actually came as a shock to me, I’d always expected AN to outlive all us other boards. So once again people started trying to make up new places to go.

I started yet another forum, this time on Forummotion hosting, called Kin of the Stars. Had a lot of more recent features than the IPB 1.3 stuff, had better support boards. Etc Etc. I skinned it up, and tried to let people know I was making it as an option for a safe haven cause AN was closing pretty soon. Well I got a E-mail from Acid saying that I couldn’t use my banner cause it had an image in it that was in his gallery (I’d used Google actually), I was not allowed to use any images or content whatsoever from his site, even if they were DVD covers or like actual images from Japan, not fan made stuff. He also claimed every post anyone ever made on the forum, the rights belonged to him alone, and if I went ahead anyway, he’d complain to the host, he make such a stink about it, that I’d be shut down and never heard from again.

So naturally I replied back the truck up here… the original creator of the series owns the images, not you. The same goes for the forum posts and fanfiction, etc. Anything not created by you, ie owning the copyright or license to, isn’t yours. So we got into a heated back and forth over that. Fortunately other people were getting the same treatment and brought it out on the forums, enough public outcry happened that he relented. The AN site and forum would be archived, people could go do what they wanted. So we did. Abh Nation closed and was indeed archived.

Kin of the Stars was ok for a little while, we were better off than some. Most of the “refugees” ended up at Project Haruhi after the fall out. But while Kin was a pretty board, with nice features and things, we suffered from a few problems. 1. We were still a single series board and by then the info had totally dried up. B. I was managing at least 4 forums (I’d started a video game mod project too) so I couldn’t be around full time. C. I’d made a critical error in picking Forummotion. That being that they also used sort of a hybrid IPB / phpBB system and considered all your posts their property. So no backups. One of the former AN members had worked on forum conversion scripts, so when we were in a slump we thought about combining several forums together so we’d solve some of our problems.

Unfortunately, he wasn’t around as often as he said he’d be. That went no where cause I had no knowledge of the setup methods. So Kin sat and did nothing, much like PWCF unfortunately.

OK back to AFC and PWCF. At PWCF Kazuki had resolved some of his family problems, and was looking at getting DSL finally. So he was starting to pop up a bit more often. Mentioned that he wanted to build a new DualFans site. I’d tried to rally the members at PWCF, a few times. Essentially saying we need members, here’s where we can go and advertise, here’s lists of old members from what I found ages ago that was too much for me to do alone. If we can’t get something going, we’re probably done for, we’re doomed to sit and be lethargic forever. Well folks kinda sorta thought about, couldn’t get anyone to commit. Tried again 2 more times. Last one I had Jacob Keyes offer to help, but we didn’t get more than a couple days into it before it got shoved under the rug.

At AFC our “vulgar troll” was outright attacking ANB in full force, round the clock. If he couldn’t post directly with a fresh account, he’d make posts waiting for admin approval so we’d see them. If that wasn’t enough, he’d put vulgar things as the email address and name he registered with. He was spamming ANB’s blog, he was spamming Funimation. If ANB was there, so this psychotic stalker was too. The funny thing is that when it came to AFC, it was going through mostly Gonzo, and if not him, me and rarely got to ANB unless we posted one of his flaming vulgar rants in the admin section to add it to ANB’s collection. ANB was getting death threats, I do recall he got mail at his old address one time (he was trying to move then) full of threats. The nutcase was certifiable. It was a round the clock job just to deal with the psycho for Gonzo, and the troll would hit on him quite heavily too, though it was limited to e-mails and the forum. Plus we had the members doing their usual antics half the time.

Whoever we temp-banned our main public firestarter, the troll would go into overdrive and all the messages would be laced on how that person was the greatest, most wonderful thing compared to us, the only thing keeping the board alive, on and on endlessly. We were the bad guys, the judas, the *bleep*sucking, *bleep*ckers, stupid *bleep*gots, goat *bleeeeeeeeeeeeep* ‘ers that’d never come close to the wisdom and blah blah blah…. this is not one e-mail a day. This is every method of possible contact you have to yourself is getting bombed almost 24/7.

So let’s take account here. We’re working round the clock on a free forum against bots and psychopaths. A pretty good contingent of the board hates our guts. The good people won’t post cause they are just going to get attacked. ANB’s got a personal stalker. I’m managing multiple boards, a game project, and still in the middle of my parent’s disaster of a divorce. So as you might imagine, we were not happy admins.

Gonzo being a teacher, had the patience of a saint. He got to the point he had to take time away from the board like a vacation. He was thoroughly pissed. ANB left the AFC essentially in our hands and locked himself away sorta. Tried to pull the psycho away from the AFC and focused on himself at his blog, at least maybe make that sacrifice. We were trying… trying hard.. despite all the raw poop we’d been handed to make a board were people could just come and enjoy talking about Tenchi or whatever… chill out, have fun, and we never did get there. We were plagued with a disease from birth, that’s the truth of it.

Well in this timeframe, being 2006, I also toured some anime conventions, met up with some of the DualFans. Went to ACen, AX, and Ohayocon. Had seriously started looking at starting a con in the Louisville, KY area. LouiCon. So I’d been picking con leader’s brains and going to as much as I could. That didn’t end up panning out due to a change in heart. But if you’re ever interested in doing so, I’ll give you a helpful tidbit of info. The backdoor into all the conventions staff talk, is an old mailing list, called animecons-list, which I think is part of like baka updates.org or something like that. You can find it if you search. There used to be a “black book” too of how to run and start a con, not sure what became of that.

So getting back to our forum fun….

As to AFC, I imagine if you’re not one of the trolls, you’re asking why didn’t we just mass ban people. Kick them out, clear the deck. Well at ezboard it was a board issue, we didn’t have the tools. At IPB, I guess somehow you could say it was our own weakness and a couple other things. One being the trolls were using the Tor network to anonymize their IP addresses so you couldn’t just ban by IP and lock them out. They could log out log in and get a new IP and be back in 3 minutes time. So you’d have to keep everything on admin approval. I eventually came up with a potential way to break Tor and get their IP, but we ran into other issues before we got it ready. Second issue being we were low on people that were posting. While the problem members were indeed causing the very issue keeping people away, if we kicked them out, would we have any posts at all?

So that played a role. ANB self admittedly said he shouldn’t have given some of them as much rope as he had in the past. It allowed things to get out of hand rather than just putting his foot down. Me and Gonzo didn’t care nearly as much, but we had a 3 part admin staff. When it came to anything important, like banning or changes, we voted on it and the majority won. Clean and simple. So we ended up asking ANB a lot of the time… to ban or not to ban… and we’d let them off with a warning. Hours to days later… they’d be back at it.

So yeah some of it was our own fault for not being harder and just laying out the hammer.

Well let’s wrap some of this up shall we?

We were frustrated and angry with things in general. Our firestarter was basically blatantly doing whatever they pleased without fear of us. We weren’t stupid, compared to what they must have thought of all the AFC admins. We knew there were others involved. It was like a underground mafia. They’d collaborate to troll or incite chaos where we couldn’t see, over e-mail or the PM system. We knew about it 3rd hand.

So I got pissed and tired of it all. If you know me you know I’ve got one heck of a long fuse, this had been building for years and wasn’t fair to anyone, particularly the admins. So I set out to prove once and for all, that we had justification in permabanning this person. Well I first searched the existing the board. Read every post and compared it to the board rules. Made a list of 87 violations, with links and notes to each. Still wasn’t enough, we were wishy washy on it. What would the fallout be?

Well I’d been acquainted with this particular person (who’d changed their name several times over the years I might add). Helped them with things like gathering images, sold them stuff, they’d given me some of their web hosting space back in the day before photobucket came into being. So I was the “friendly” admin requests or questions were asked of. They wouldn’t go to Gonzo, didn’t like him. ANB was a toy or a pincushion to them, wouldn’t take him seriously. When we started the IPB AFC… I was directly asked a important question, which had seemed out of place to my brain, so it stuck. That question was can the admins, see what we send over the PM system? In honesty, I answered no.

Well after all the poop, here we were. I came up with the idea of getting into their PMs to get the proof. I asked ANB and Gonzo, told them right off the bat I felt dirty and disgusting for even bringing up the idea, but something had to be done. Explained it, etc. They were still unsure. I thought about it for about 2 days straight, conflicting over if it was right to do, how it would be done, what if I didn’t find anything? My gut just wouldn’t hush up, it HAD to be there…

In the end I did it of my own choice, and here’s how. I set the board to service mode, which put up a service page blocking access to the board. I reset that member’s password to something I knew, and logged back in as them. Lo and behold… there in the PMs was several messages with at least 2 other members detailing how they were going to post as each other and troll the board. B I N freaking G O.

Made screenshots of all that, logged out. Fixed up the board and posted the evidence for the other admins. Clear proof tipped it over, we perma banned them, along with the conspirators. As not to aggravate things further, we made a basic post stating they’d been banned. Which of course that led to questions, we got other people mad at us. We knew they still had supporters inside the board, but if you cut off the head of the snake…. or so the saying goes.

Now do the ends justify the means? No. I still regret having to do that. As an admin, current and former, it hurt to cross that line. I’m reminded of that each time I go to moderate something. But I do believe it was necessary.

So a couple things happened. The vulgar troll went into overdrive on ANB and Gonzo… once again ignoring me. I was the nice admin of course… He was hot under the collar about the bannings. Good for him, hope he had hemorrhoids like golf balls. I got messaged about the bannings directly. Why was this done?… playing innocent again. I responded back in a coyly written response that they knew what they’d been involved in. It’d been a long time coming. After that my hosting space with that person was wiped out without notice, not surprising, but it was a bit of an inconvenience when banners for the PWCF became broken. After that little coy reply, the troll started hammering on me as much and sometimes even more than everyone else. I was the liar and backstabber. Coincidence… I think not.

The other thing that happened, as was to be expected, was the board slowed down. A couple people I sent notes to, saying hey, it’s ok to come back now, we’ve gotten rid of them finally. We did see some folks return. It wasn’t enough though, too little too late.

So for the final death blow…

Shortly after the banning, InvisionPlus that hosted AFC and PWCF, began to have issues. This was in the form of going offline for a week, other outages. Generally they got resolved. Well about the third time it didn’t come back.

Speaking from a future perspective, what the problem was is that IP+ was owned by one guy. Back when I started on it he had paid helpers the manage things when he was off doing something else. Somewhere in all this he switched to all volunteer support people, and gave no one the power to actually do anything but be yes men. So he left to go skiing and have a vacation at a cabin in the mountains, and the whole system went to ash, you had the IP+ support board flooded with paying and free customers complaining up a storm. But the volunteer people couldn’t reach the guy, nor could they do anything about it.

Long story sort I tracked the guy down. Gave the staff the run down on everything the web had to offer. They managed to contact him, he came in about a week later (this being like a month offline already) and had to do disaster control. AFC and PWCF were offline totally. My plans at that time, to merge Kin and PWCF were stuck. So the boards came back online, but you had to go through a very annoying captcha login before even getting to the forum – and that was really iffy on if it ever would work.

We were assured the captacha was temporary, but it was permanent. I made many requests asking for the database for AFC and PWCF, which were submitted by the support staff, but never materialized.

But the damage had been done. People didn’t want to go to the AFC any more. Those that did, didn’t know when it’d be online at any given time. The captcha became impossible to get through. One of the times it did work, I went through PWCF and saved every post by hand. I went to AFC and saved some of the translation section. There weren’t too many posts really worth saving from the rest of it.

So our hands were tied, we couldn’t fix anything. We were locked out once again like had been the case with DualFans originally. Frankly us three admins of the AFC were half sick of the whole affair, and half relieved it was taken from us. We touched base a couple times after the crash but generally didn’t stay in contact too much. We were tired and wanted to get on with something else in our lives.

Well AFC died there, but the old Yuku board is still online ironically. Tenchiboard from what I heard had it’s own problems with trolls taking over the place. Ayeka.net I learned later on started up as a AFC alternative, but I had no interest in being there as some of the AFC trolls relocated there after they were banned. Sanctuary always was just itself, no more no less. Kind of like being stuck in a time warp, it’s not changed a bit over the years. Seto’s Fan got hit by the spam bots, no one ever fixed it.

ANB bless him, is still dealing with that psychotic nutcase to this day. He still is stalking him around his blog and who knows where else.

As for PWCF, it died there as well. But as we were stuck by InvisionPlus and I was about to hang up my hat, Kazuki came out of the blue and was ready to make a new DualFans and a new forum for it. Within a few hours we had a new phpBB running. From there we asked who we could of the PWCF and Kin members to move there. I tried setting up sections for Tenchi and Saint Knight Story (ISM) in hopes that some of the good people would float by our board. Setup another translation section again. We never were able to get backups of any other forum, so the merge never happened. Our biggest problem was just not having many members to talk with.

So Kiyoka… or dragonami as she used to go by back in the day… eventually pestered me over IM enough to get me to register at TenchiForum… and here I be. This part of “history” you can see for yourself and pass your own judgments.

With what I’ve been through, want my suggestions for a better life?

Find your faith in God. Study the Word. Treat others as you would have done unto you.

I know I’m not perfect, can’t get there either, but doesn’t mean I always want to be as I am either.

Pick your friends and associates wisely, for they will mold you over time.

Build on your creative and unique skills, to the point they can be sold.

Try to relax, have fun while you’re young. The trials of adulthood will be hard and come fast enough.

Exercise, you only have this one body for the time being… least until we get nanobots.

Never stop learning, or trying to learn more, ever.

When it comes to matters of the heart and love, be honest with yourself and to others.

Inspect your emotions: love, lust, and infatuation are not the same things.

Buy Sunscreen (inside joke)

Never accept defeat, unless you can learn from it and always be friendly about it.

Don’t go to bed with anger between you and someone close to you, resolve it.

Don’t use free web or forum hosting… it always ends in tears. ~_^

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Great. This mega-post coupled with a “healthy” debate on the chat (about Kajishima-sensei being the ultimate authority on cannon Tenchi) has just about got me ready to pack up and leave before anything happens to get me cyber-crucified.
      jgzinv

For Washuu wrote:

Great. This mega-post coupled with a “healthy” debate on the chat (about Kajishima-sensei being the ultimate authority on cannon Tenchi) has just about got me ready to pack up and leave before anything happens to get me cyber-crucified.

If all you got out of my post was “OVA hate” then I’d ask you to look at the purpose of it again.

Quote:

so our successors could understand what had happened in the past, and perhaps learn and do us one better.

What I spoke of was the AFC, AIC, and DualFans mostly. Of those, AFC and AIC were predominantly OVA centric boards. Ask Kiyoka how well

TU fans got a word in edge wise back then if you don’t believe me. The same went for Dual, and it was treated as an outside thing as well.

Being OAV centric boards, OAV 3 struck many the wrong was as I mentioned. It didn’t line up with their preconceived way it should have ended.

As such it fell short, and was the source of many splits in those communities. TU didn’t even really have it’s own board, the closest thing probably being

Tenchiboard in the early days. That is the past, it happened.

So for me to leave out what caused the rift there, would be to do a great disservice in telling what happened and why.

Now as to here.

TenchiForum is not the AFC. If you want me to make a list of reasons why, I’ll do so. This place is at least ten times more open and welcoming

than AFC ever was.

Disagreeing with someone over the OAV is not trolling, it’s freedom of speech, freedom of opinion. Many people here are fans of TU, great. There’s

people here that are fans of the OAV, great. TU folk should not expect OAV folk to bow down and worship the TU, and OAV folk should not be expecting TU

fans to bow down to the OAV. They are separate things that can be liked by separate people at the same time. Know where to draw the line in a debate, consider

the other person’s feelings. Agree to disagree.

I like OAV 1 and 2, TU, Dual, Photon, etc… I’m not as big a fan when it comes to OAV 3 and GXP. They simply don’t “Do” it for me. It’s my opinion, my choice,

and my tastes. If you like OAV 3 and GXP and El Hazard, and ISM… more power to ya.

Like going into a car dealership that has two brands represented. You ask the salesman which is better, he’s going to say each have their strong suits and weaknesses.

This Ford comes with a 4 year warranty and this Honda comes with a GPS, iPod dock, and 24 in spinner rims. They are both cars, they are still different. We pick what suits us for different reasons.

I was not present for the conversation, so I don’t know what all was said. Going by the generic statement you gave there, I’d have to agree. Kasjishima probably is the main authority on the OVA. It’s “his” series, he’s the one releasing the doujinshi and novels on that subject. So I’d hope he has some concept of where it’s going. If you think differently, then start a thread if you want to talk about it. Doesn’t mean either of us are required to change our opinions that we came in the door with. Just means we should try to respect the other person as a person, and get along reasonably without shoving one’s opinion down the other’s neck forcibly.

So again… This is not the AFC. It’s not even Tenchiboard. It’s not DualFans either.

The purpose of the above post was so that people would understand what happened, see what stupidity happened in the past, avoid it, and move forward.

Kiyami
      Participant
      none
      All of the names you mentioned are very familiar in my mind. I was a long time lurker, and as some people here know I never really stick to one name…. I was on AIC as LittleMihoshi I think, and Tenchiboard I was probably MihoshiCasey or Minsam depending on the year. I joined Tenchiboard in 2002-3. I also gave out muffins and chilled in the Mihoshi and Kiyone boards. When I ventured to AFC briefly, I was either one of those names but I became less active. For whatever reason, I dropped off the face of the Tenchi forums verse from 2005-2007 and re-emerged as Kiyami most places, and I’d say I’m 10x more active on forums than I’ve ever been. I was on Ayeka.net before deleting my account and moving here as my current name. (If anybody cares, that’s my muffin-filled history). I remember/was aware of most of the drama that OVA 3 brought, but I never got involved with it.

I miss a lot of the people who used to be active on Tenchi forums… such as Punistation and a friend of mine from high school. Need to find them, bring them back.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

For Washuu wrote:

As long as I am here, I will not allow that to happen. To anyone, on this forum…EVER.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/yosho_sword.jpg" />

I appreciate these long posts, & it’s a treat to even have folks like Z-man on the forum that have been around Tenchi fandom for a long time & are well-versed in history, but I’m sure JGZinv’s purpose behind these posts wasn’t to scare anybody, it’s for people who were curious. Don’t let it freak you out ForWashuu (or anybody else reading this) that’s all in the past. This forum was created as a clean slate, & as JGZinv mentioned, the purpose of learning history is to avoid repeating it, & in certain cases of Tenchi fandom history, that’s exactly what the people behind creating TenchiForum, & the rest of us, intend to do.

I hope if anybody has any sort of problem, be it with another member(s) or anything else that they would pm me and/or the admins to work things out before packing up and walking out the door, it would pain me to see anyone leave under such circumstances

Atonashi
      Participant
      Hi, I’m Atonashi aka Atonashi80, described by JGZinv as the crazy guy with a big ego. I’ve only been lurking here and there after AFC faded, but when peeps write you into history as a bad guy, you have to sign up and say something for yourself.

– JGZinv made me look like a big jerk who disturbed his business plans. The way I saw it JGZinv wanted to leverage AFC to start his own import business and he had a problem with me because I was sharing with other fans without looking for personal gain. I was posting the doujins I had because I wanted to share them with the rest of the peeps, and JGZinv tried to shut me down so he could set up shop. Obviously I’m the bad guy then. I had many problems with the Morrises but even they didn’t think I shouldn’t be allowed to share just because JGZinv didn’t like it.

The reason JGZinv’s business failed wasn’t because of me, it was because he was trying to set up as a middle man for something peeps could do on their own. The prices from Japanese auctions were steep enough already, why would peeps pay a cut to one more middle man? Also not that many peeps were interested in these doujins to begin with. I eventually stopped scanning because of too little interest and peeps just using those threads to say negative things about Kajishima. Why should I take apart my doujins and spend time scanning and sharing if that’s the case.

– Because I had problems with the Morrises and JGZinv, they retaliated by accusing me that I was the troll who had started attacking Astro around that time. Partially I brought it on myself because at first I used public logins from Bugmenot to post at ezboard after they screwed everyone with the big wipeout disaster and I swore I wouldn’t be a member there. Because of me others learned about these logins as well and started using them to troll the board, and I had to get my own ez account after all to avoid trouble. I hated the damn ez and tried to get the AFC mods to move the board somewhere other than a company that was openly screwing peeps over. JGZinv actually thought so too but because he had a problem with me because of his business plan he didn’t want to side with me. The Morrises never did anything about the move and treated everyone who wanted to move like impetuous children, especially me because I was very vocal about it. It even got to the point where Mary Morris refused to post my scans to her Oni-hime collection because obviously it makes sense to not work together on anything at all if you have a problem with someone over something completely unrelated.

My point is I never had a problem with Astro, only with JGZinv and the Morrises. I spoke with Astro many times and there was never any trouble between us. It was really stupid to think I was attacking Astro when he was the only mod I never had any problems with. The irony is I actually recommended to Astro that he make JGZinv and FullGonzo mods later when he was left running the board alone. At one point Astro told me that he was fed up and thinking of shutting down the board, and I told him why don’t you get some more mods then to help out, you don’t have to do it alone when there are many good peeps around. I don’t know if he ever told them about my suggestion or not and he might have selected them even without me saying anything, but it’s a fact that I suggested them to him, you can ask him. Unlike JGZinv I don’t hold it against peeps if I have a particular disagreement with them like with the doujin business thing, so I had no problem suggesting him because I’d seen he had good ideas and energy to contribute.

– I don’t know why JGZinv tiptoed around naming the main source of AFC trouble when everyone knows it was Jibril aka Rolf. I had several unpleasant experiences with him too, including when he spammed my inbox for several weeks with “you’re a homo” messages when I sided with Nik against him. I remember I had to turn to FullGonzo to get that to stop. He also tried to fool me with his “I’m a girl” game but fortunately peeps like Astro clued me in about that. The guy obviously liked to get his kicks from spinning lies and tweaking others. JGZinv may think I have a big ego because I’m a little rough around the edges, but the kind of shit Jibril pulled at AFC was something else. I never understood why the mods let it go on for so long and this whole thing with breaking into his inbox before they could ban him seems pretty out there to me. I think many peeps on this board know pretty well how Jibril operates without me going on about it.

– I don’t agree with the storyline about the AFC mods as the victims of misbehaving members and trolls. I think if you’re a mod and you let your board deteriotate like that, then you’re simply not a very good mod. It’s ridiculous that it took forever to do anything about Jibril for example. Everyone knew he was gutting the board but because of mod indecision nothing was done for the longest time. The mods always wanted to do the bare minimum and avoid any effort. It was obvious ez sucked but those who suggested moving and even listed alternatives were ignored or rebuked. Especially my good friends the Morrises acted like they were some kind of parents with all the answers and the members were stupid kids. My mouth dropped open when I found out that peeps were paying to keep the ez board ad free instead of using the same money to get proper hosting. If there was money for that, there was no need to go with the free Invisionplus hosting that later backfired.

The mods always had the option to engage with all the peeps on the board and get ideas and help, but they preferred to remain floating above. It’s like when Astro told me he was fed up and wanted to close the board he never went to the members and asked for help, it was by purely accident that we got to talking about it. With this way of doing things of course you burn out and start thinking of your members as a nuisance instead of a resource. I recognize there was a lot to deal with sometimes and I wasn’t the most congenial member myself but there were definitely things the mods could have done to improve the situation but didn’t. I thought JGZinv was someone who could have breathed fresh air into the board, but he wasn’t into Tenchi as much as Dual and the old mod culture must have gotten in the way too.

That was quite an introduction I know, but what can you do under the circumstances.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Thank you so much for this JGZinv. Being very new to fandom myself, I had been vaguely aware that there was a dark past to all this. Being a historian, I was curious to understand how this forum came to be. This account is an excellently written and compiled historical narrative. I want to thank you for your dedication and your commitment to your fellow fans. Everything I read only caused me to love and respect what this forum is all the more, and I am proud to be a member of it. As you said yourself, it is important that we remember the past so that we can avoid its mistakes. You are a selfless and talented individual and a testament to this forum, and I can only hope that I can be as positive a member of the forum as you.
      For Washuu
      Participant
      none

JGZinv wrote:

For Washuu wrote:

If all you got out of my post was “OVA hate” then I’d ask you to look at the purpose of it again.

Oh, no, no, no! I didn’t mean “OVA hate” by any means! :O I just mean that the whole history of Tenchi forums being so convoluted and painful has lessened my faith in the future of me being online as a Tenchi fan regardless of OVA, TU, STM, or other preferences. I mean, why continue if the historical model of 12+ years repeatedly points toward flamewars, trolls and hacking?

And thank you, poster, for putting in your two cents. I’m always looking for more sides to the coin in accounts like this.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

For Washuu wrote:

I just mean that the whole history of Tenchi forums being so convoluted and painful has lessened my faith in the future of me being online as a Tenchi fan regardless of OVA, TU, STM, or other preferences. I mean, why continue if the historical model of 12+ years repeatedly points toward flamewars, trolls and hacking?

Because your love of the show and its characters outweigh all the negatives? As Z-Man attests, I’m still around. ;)

P.S.- Good to see you atonashi, even under these circumstances.

Anonymous

atonashi wrote:

– JGZinv made me look like a big jerk who disturbed his business plans. The way I saw it JGZinv wanted to leverage AFC to start his own import business and he had a problem with me because I was sharing with other fans without looking for personal gain. I was posting the doujins I had because I wanted to share them with the rest of the peeps, and JGZinv tried to shut me down so he could set up shop. Obviously I’m the bad guy then. I had many problems with the Morrises but even they didn’t think I shouldn’t be allowed to share just because JGZinv didn’t like it.

The reason JGZinv’s business failed wasn’t because of me, it was because he was trying to set up as a middle man for something peeps could do on their own. The prices from Japanese auctions were steep enough already, why would peeps pay a cut to one more middle man? Also not that many peeps were interested in these doujins to begin with. I eventually stopped scanning because of too little interest and peeps just using those threads to say negative things about Kajishima. Why should I take apart my doujins and spend time scanning and sharing if that’s the case.

Its called common courtesy, if someone goes deep to get things that people asked for (without even being paid no less. no man starting a business would do that) and you show up and undercut him in a way that puts him out most of what he paid, yea of course its going to make you look bad in his eyes, and judging by your response, I wouldn’t say its far off that you told him to essentially “Sit and Spin”, but then wouldn’t someone NOT looking for personal gain in some way have abided by his wishes? The only reason I personally went through JG is because I didn’t want to do the work myself of finding the people who go through sellers in Japan. JG made what? a whopping 20-30 bucks off of a 800 dollar transaction with materials long out of print? I don’t think he was out to shark me.

atonashi wrote:

– I don’t know why JGZinv tiptoed around naming the main source of AFC trouble when everyone knows it was Jibril aka Rolf.

And there are members here who aren’t from old fandom, and If it were up to me, I would erase that name from it as much as the OP has, so I’d appreciate it, and if everyone here, would not ever use that name again.

atonashi wrote:

— I don’t agree with the storyline about the AFC mods as the victims of misbehaving members and trolls. I think if you’re a mod and you let your board deteriotate like that, then you’re simply not a very good mod. It’s ridiculous that it took forever to do anything about Jibril for example. Everyone knew he was gutting the board but because of mod indecision nothing was done for the longest time. The mods always wanted to do the bare minimum and avoid any effort…

I recognize there was a lot to deal with sometimes and I wasn’t the most congenial member myself but there were definitely things the mods could have done to improve the situation but didn’t. I thought JGZinv was someone who could have breathed fresh air into the board, but he wasn’t into Tenchi as much as Dual and the old mod culture must have gotten in the way too.

I 100% agree with you, that if you are a mod, and things are out of control, and the board deteriorates because of it, its your fault, there is no doubt about it.

BUT, they paid the ultimate price for it, their negligence lost them their board, and big chunks of it are gone, but standing over them now and saying “Its your fault, you could have done better” is really asinine, especially considering the circumstances. They weren’t dealing with simple trolls who may have just joined up on one of the chan sites, ANB earned himself a personal stalker, and they had trolls who effectively have gone beyond the call of duty to ruin some’s lives. I know, because I was apart of that history, and this site stands because of it.

ForWashuu wrote:

I mean, why continue if the historical model of 12+ years repeatedly points toward flamewars, trolls and hacking?

Have you seen a flame war here? the mod staff has even go so far as to protect fans of Noike, and if you sincerely believe we would fall into such childish ventures, I am a tad offended, lol

As I stated in both “about us”, and other places, we don’t sink into many of the sins that the other Tenchi sites partook in, which ultimately killed them. We strive all the time to be better and better

Kiyoka
      Sure brings back memories…

I became a fan in November 2003. Before that I did watch it on Toonami and Ryoko was my sort of favourite. But I can’t remember much from then lol

I remember the exact moment when I become curious on Tenchi. It was on the site linked below I browsed through one day at college. I started my fandom there. I emailed the owner various Tenchi questions to which he happily replied to every one of them. I tried emailing him weeks ago but no reply sadly.

http://tmau.fateback.com/

I do remember being a post on the AIC forums. What a lovely place from what little I remember. It was back then I made my own Evil Kiyone up. Thats when a guy named Flipmonkey asked if he could draw her (the first drawing done of her ever was by this guy!), he even did 2 others and one with Kiyone’s kid I made up. Sadly he disapeared of the net, leaving his deviantart page still up..

I remember when AIC was to close. I was devestated. I distinctivly remember their so called reason “Due to a change in policy”. A sad day, especially watching the days go by until it closed.

I then joined Tenchiboard, but don’t remember much at all about it. I was also a member of AFC, but again don’t remember much. I do know from feeling I had fun, but as JG said it was dominated by OAV.

My memory is hazy, but I drifted to Ayeka/net and finally here.

In that time I’ve been writting. Crappy DBZ fanfics, and then RPG’s on Ayeka.net. Now I have become a better writter. I am deeply pasionate about Tenchi and pour my love into writting a section into TU. My biggest regret is not being around when Tenchi was at its peak in popularity on forums. I kind of wish I was writting this well back then and my fic was in that time too. At least I have some people to apprechiate it now. So grateful to still talk about Tenchi today.

I kind of made my Evil Kiyone as a way of having a personal connection with the series also.. hehe

Arigato. Sayonara for now

jgzinv
      For those who are thankful for the post, you are most welcome.

Atonashi, as I mentioned in the OP, you (ie anyone) was welcome to come at me by PM, and you elected not to.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but you exposed yourself on that one.

I kept the names out both as a means to try and keep people from pointing fingers, particularly the new generation.

It was also done by request… trust me, if I can remember 12 years of stuff, I could have named names.

As to ANB and the Morris’s, I was one of the “inside” admin people, not an outside one, I’ve got a different perspective

on what people thought of certain actions behind closed doors. You’re also mixing the Morris’s and Me together. I didn’t come on scene

as a admin until they left. It was a direct hand over, so wasn’t like I co-conspired with anyone cause I wasn’t “in power” by then.

The Morris’s did not consult or in any way include me in any admin/mod discussions prior to ANB bringing me on board.

I’m also totally unaware of you suggesting me to ANB for mod/admin. Not saying it didn’t happen, just never heard of it.

I also advocated working together, to resolve the scans issue, never did I say to quit totally. Remember I came to you. What I

wanted was coexistence. There was no way I could put the genie back in the bottle anyway. I have always tried to uphold the

highest level possible of honor in my business dealings. My references and customers will each and every one speak to that.

I tossed expensive doujins in the trash, the Kamidake Onsens, because they contained graphic hentai and my sister was coming for

visitation. Didn’t want her exposed to it. This is the kind of person I am. I destroyed profit because it would otherwise have potentially

impacted someone I cared for.

Yes, people can go hop on google and search for japanese auction broker. Guess what – one of them, shoppingmalljapan, that I use,

I suggested to come to the site since the owner is a Tenchi fan. He’s got a banner in his signature promoting his service. Oh well.

The reason I get the orders, is people don’t have to spend their time managing it, they don’t have to know where to look for the auctions,

or the search tricks to find things, they generally don’t use multiple brokers like I do. I also will ship anywhere on the planet. Many brokers

will not. I rebox, inspect, repackage, and stand by the customer if there’s every any damage and fight for them, not the broker. I’ll also order

things in advance if the client is trustworthy enough, and hold them until they have the money ready. That’s a heck of a risk, which others will not take.

The reason the money was not used to fund an actual new board and hosting – was because the money left with the older members.

The knowledgeable ones such as Watotsu, the Morris’s, and so forth, were donating to keep it ad free. When they left the funding stopped.

The premium had already expired by the time we got control of the AFC, with the Yuku change we figured jumping ship to a new board was best.

We had no way of anticipating at that time what would happen with Invision Plus, because they had been rock stable up to that point.

I will leave it at this, in the spirit of the forum, we’re both entitled to our opinions. Other people that have posted here are also entitled to theirs.

I didn’t paint a glowing review of you cause that’s how I saw it, you’ve said your piece as well. Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle.

If you want to continue this “back & forth” further, you can go at me over PM or E-mail if you wish. jgzinv@gmail.com

I’m not going to drag old wounds out on the board further and disrupt things here.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • The topic ‘The History Of Tenchiverse Forums’ is closed to new replies.