The Mihoshi Special

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime The Mihoshi Special

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    This is just a general discussion on the Mihoshi Special, which I guess for some people was the first introduction to Kiyone as well as Pretty Sammy. For others it was just an opportunity to see a different version of Kiyone’s character and a nifty special episode which if canon would be part of the OVA.

Basically, as you all know, the story consists of Ayeka questioning Mihoshi’s existence in the Galaxy Police, and Mihoshi telling the story of her greatest case ever alongside her brilliant teal-haired partner, the Ultra Energy Matter case. Essentially then she could have made a lot of it up, or it being Mihoshi actual events might have become skewed, but she uses the pre-OVA3 Masaki household to tell her story, casting the roles pretty accurately.

A lot of moments in the Special remind me more of Universe than OVA, but perhaps because I’m biased because I saw Universe prior. I also felt this version of Kiyone was a lot colder, harder for me to relate to whereas I can relate perfectly to her in Universe. It also reminded me of the films, with a lot of random moments/dialogue that I felt was unnecessary, and what exactly were those hardships?

But it was fun, despite that banana peel incident and Kiyone kind of being left in space to die. Then we get this little, awesome moment during the ending credits where we get to see the original Evil Kiyone.

And this is all I will bore you with at this time, so I pass the mic and a plate of muffins.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Replies
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      I first saw the Mihoshi Special a few months ago when I had my Tenchi reawakening. I watched it after I had wathced OVA 3 and Tokyo, so for me it was a real pleasant surprise. I agree with Mittens in that to me it felt more akin to an episode of Universe than to the OVA. The MIhoshi special is actually my favorite representation of Mihoshi because I felt that it showed off her character in a way that wasnt purely slapstick and comedic relief. It was very funny throughout, even straying into absurdity towards the end, but it was solidly entertaining. All in all, I think it was a wonderful little one-off story. In a perfect world I think we should have seen similar specials for all the main cast, Now that would be someting.
      Kiyoka
      Ha.. when you think about it, Kiyone in the MS never really smiled! She was so serious! In the MS I guess Kiyone disliked Mihoshi alot more considering she is not shown to be “friends”, just forced to work together.

There is a game where I “think” it takes place years after the story Mihoshi tells in the MS. Although trusting Puni’s words is debatable.

I don’t know about you lot, but Kiyone’s iconic line to me was where she screams she’ll kill Mihoshi. I really loved that part haha. You have to wonder how she SURVIVED that?! Seriously, nothing would make me laugh so much or be overjoyed than to see Kiyone in OAV 4 find Mihoshi on Earth after that incident XD

Huh.. gives me an idea for a fanfic. She’s bound to harbour hatred for Mihoshi after that. A stranger comes along to find a lonely hard seething with hatred and slowly dying. He offers her the chance to go to Earth where she is. But secretly he uses the hatred in her heart to turn her into his own puppet. A puppet that will I dunno, kill Tenchi? Who is this man? I don’t know, I just made this up!

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      When dealing with a story or recounting of events from Mihoshi’s standpoint, you can bet there may be some absurdity along the way. I love the Mihoshi Special, even though when I first stumbled upon it, I wasn’t exactly sure which canon, if any, it belonged to (though I suspected not Universe, seeing as how through the framing device of the Masaki household before the flashback, Kiyone was nowhere to be found).

Now that others have mentioned it, I totally get a Universe vibe from MS as well (admittedly, probably mostly because of Kiyone). I think it’s the fact that we see the main cast on crazy space-detective escapades portrayed in a ‘just-for-fun’ style that really brings out these feelings, not at all unlike the Time and Space Adventures episodes in Universe, at least for me (and I guess seeing Ryoko portrayed as actually being a child at one point, as she is in Universe and not in OAV…& it’s been a while since I’ve watched MS, but isn’t Kiyone’s ship Yagami also in there somewhere?).

Not to detract from Kiyone’s appearance and her partner for which the special is named, just throwing in my perspective, I really enjoyed MS also for–can you guess?–Ryoko. Returning yet again to the ‘Universe vibe’, we get to see Ryoko (even though only in Mihoshi’s version of past events) as a space pirate! & as such doing things you’d expect a space pirate to be up to on a regular basis…you know, plundering cargo from space ships, looting, & generally on-the-lam from the law? That sorta thing.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/Ryoko_Scouter_cropped.jpg" />

Eat your heart out, Akira Toriyama 8-)

In my humble opinion, we didn’t get to see enough of Ryoko’s criminal, bad girl side even in Universe, so seeing her portrayed as such in Mihoshi’s story (not of Ryoko, mind you, of some other space pirate, wink wink) was awesome.

I also liked seeing Washu portrayed as her mother, something Universe obviously didn’t have, but unlike oav, we get a little bit of insight into their family relationship as one that would be considered a bit more ‘normal’ due to the fact that Ryoko seems to have been a child at one point and grown up, as suggested by the photographs found by Mihoshi (you know, instead of Washu combining mass & ‘growing’ Ryoko in a tube, or whatever she did in oav).

okay, I mentioned Washu, so Washu fans, that’s your cue! *passes the mic ;)

evilpii
      Participant
      none

Kiyoka wrote:

Huh.. gives me an idea for a fanfic. She’s bound to harbour hatred for Mihoshi after that. A stranger comes along to find a lonely hard seething with hatred and slowly dying. He offers her the chance to go to Earth where she is. But secretly he uses the hatred in her heart to turn her into his own puppet. A puppet that will I dunno, kill Tenchi? Who is this man? I don’t know, I just made this up!

Like this friend? ^-^v

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/KiyoneAfterMS_zps5de5ef1c.jpg" />

(Source: Punistation’s scans, before it became defunct. ^^; )

Kiyoka

evilpii wrote:

Kiyoka wrote:

Like this friend? ^-^v

http://evilpii.kicks-ass.org/kiyone.jpg" />

(Source: Punistation’s scans, before it became defunct. ^^; )

OMG classic scan XD! Gave me a chuckle ^^

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.