The Rose of Versailles

Forums Off Topic Other Anime The Rose of Versailles

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    So I got my issue of the Right Stuf 2013 catalog and the cover story was about the upcoming North American release of The Rose of Versailles. The article pretty much hit ALL of my anime nerd buttons: Historical Epic, fantastic characters, beautiful art style, landmark influence on anime, etc. In short, I really want this show! So, does anybody here have any thoughts or feelings on this show? Feel free to treat this thread as a fan thread for this series as well.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Replies
      I thought it was a hi-def rerelease of a series from the 80’s…
      WisperG

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

I thought it was a hi-def rerelease of a series from the 80’s…

It believe its been remastered, but it won’t be on Bluray if thats what you’re thinking. Rightstuf has yet to put out anything on BD actually, though I don’t believe Versailles even has a BD release in Japan yet, so that point it moot.

Anonymous
      Rose of Versailles is pretty much THE Shoujo series, the one that influenced them all. This is the first time that we’ve ever had a legit Western release for it so it’s a big thing. Having watched Sailor Moon Chuck, you can probably get into it a little easier then some.

I will say though, I’ve never seen it myself, but I’ve heard that it is very low on the actual “animation” department, so don’t go into it expecting Dragonball Z, lol

Dagon123 wrote:

Rose of Versailles is pretty much THE Shoujo series, the one that influenced them all. This is the first time that we’ve ever had a legit Western release for it so it’s a big thing. Having watched Sailor Moon Chuck, you can probably get into it a little easier then some.

I will say though, I’ve never seen it myself, but I’ve heard that it is very low on the actual “animation” department, so don’t go into it expecting Dragonball Z, lol

I’d try to make a contentious point with DBZ there, but DBZ actually had some excellently done fight sequences.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Dagon123 wrote:

Well, I just watched the first ep. on Nozomi Entertainment’s YT channel, and I definitely can see what you mean Dagon. Some of the movement can be quite stiff, and the cel count per episode is way below other shows from that era, i.e. the first Yamato season from ’74 is more fluid than this show from ’79. All that being said, however, I REALLY enjoyed the episode. The characters were extremely compelling and three dimensional, and the story was engaging. I also really like the character designs and art style for this show. It has all the trademark features of “anime” animation, but it also really captures the French Aristocratic feel of the setting. And I just LOVE Oscar! She’s the perfect combination of beauty and badassery!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-m3MlOAKm1d4/UFLZG2JsacI/AAAAAAAABSM/ej_N-mx1P_c/s1600/Rose+of+Versailles.jpg" />

I’m definitely going to eventually watch the rest of this show someday soon!

From the illustration I wonder if I ought to add it to my wants list.It looks like it could’ve been the

inspiration for Utena.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

From the illustration I wonder if I ought to add it to my wants list.It looks like it could’ve been the

inspiration for Utena.

Pretty sharp ML. It is indeed considered a, if not THE, major inspiration for Revolutionary Girl Utena.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:

Riyoko Ikeda’s The Rose of Versailles has often been quoted as an established source of inspiration for the visual style of Utena,[3] scenes involving sliding mirrors and unsupported staircases appear during character introspections in The Rose of Versailles while in Utena very similar scenes are part of the surreal landscape. Although director Ikuhara has denied this on several occasions, including the director’s commentary on the final DVD Finale of the American release. Nevertheless, similarities between the protagonists of The Rose of Versailles and Utena have been drawn by fans and reviewers alike, with Utena and Anthy often compared and contrasted with Oscar Franรงois de Jarjayes and Marie Antoinette due to their protector/princess relationship.

Almael
      Geez, ML, at your age you should know that the “Lady Oscar” movie is world famous. It’s one of the earliest great movie I can remember. The original animation was made for kids so it is on the very low quality like most of them. It is the story that spawns pretty much all lead female/heroine stories including the western part of the world, although, imho some two decades later.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Isn’t ML an anime late bloomer? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Besides, it’s not like just anyone here in the States has even heard of the show, since we’ve never had any of it until now.

WisperG

Nobuyuki wrote:

Besides, it’s not like just anyone here in the States has even heard of the show, since we’ve never had any of it until now.

People have certainly heard of it, its just that very few have actually seen it because of its lack of a US release.

Well I didn’t get into anime as early as most of you did.In fact I didn’t get into anime until the turn of the

century/millennium so there are titles from the last century/millennium that I’ve probably still not aware of yet. ๐Ÿ˜†

Almael

Nobuyuki wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Oscar_%28film%29

Well, I’m pretty sure many years ago we got this discussion back at AN and I think ML was already there. We also got the same discussion later at Alternative Worlds.

Besides, informations have been around the net since ever before people were sharing mp2s…including vast libraries. And even then it wasn’t a problem in the community to provide VHS around the world with free fan-subs. I have a bunch of those old VHS.

I can’t remember is my problem.

I wish I could remember everything on the subject that we talked about at AN and Alterntative Worlds.

Unfortunately since both are now gone I don’t know if there is anyway of going back and checking.

Almael
      Actually, both sites have been accessible again for quite a while. You just need to log in.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Not that there’s any RoV discussion at AW, anyway… :P
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.