The Second Ryo-Jurai War

Forums Fan Stuff Fanfiction The Second Ryo-Jurai War

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    As today is the first day of 2015, and I am ever so behind on writing, I wanted to share a preview of what I had hoped to write by this point. blush1 Also, watching Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter gave me some inspiration. butts1

Quote:

Empress Jurai Ayeka knew she could no longer prevent the inevitable. When she had started her journey with the knights, Azaka had told her war would come in her lifetime, and she had prayed these past 15 years that he would be wrong. As the regal-tressed woman wrote her declaration, she thought of her beloved husband, admiral of her fleets, and the battles he would lead, their people he would have to order to their death. As she scripted the named of their eternal foe, she thought of her twins and the hardships they would face, the peaceful life they could no longer have. As she signed the document, she thought of Tenchi and his family on Earth, how they will no doubt be involved in a galactic conflict once again.

But, Ayeka had no choice now. Jurai had to stand and lead, to be the example Tsunami had wanted the nation to be, lest the Darkness fall over the entire galaxy.

Never before had her tiara key felt so heavy.

Alone, she peered into each of her children’s darkened rooms, worrying about what she had wrought for them. Her son was growing so strong under Azaka’s instruction. Her daughter was becoming so lovely with Sasami’s guidance. The monarch had been so blessed by their birth, watching both at play in the fields around the palace. Daily, she had put her responsibilities aside to spend a few hours with them, hearing of their day’s adventures, watching their bright eyes dance with excitement. How she loved listening to them go on.

However, Ayeka had seen the Darkness in the flesh, felt it tear her soul apart. While she had matured and grown far stronger through all her torment, she whispered a prayer to Tsunami, her dear sister Sasami, that these two children would be spared such horrible knowledge.

A chill shot through her as she held her arms close. Then, a firm arm wrapped around her shoulders. She smiled distantly, knowing well the embrace of her mate. For that brief moment, she ignored her worries as a monarch and pulled her man’s arms around her, feeling his protective warmth around her, watching their children sleep.

Tomorrow, the empress would declare to the galaxy that Jurai and the Galactic Union were at war with Ryua and its allies. Tomorrow, innumerable lives for years to come would be shattered by her words.

Tonight, she just wanted to be together with her family one last time, to savor this one last moment of peace, to remember why she must wage this horrible war.

See you in the future. gendo1

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Replies
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Oooooooh I have been teased thoroughly. WANT1

I’m saying YES! to all of this, but actually I’m also like NOOOOO because of the severity of what is to come, and the fact that Ryua (in pii’s continuation, Ryoko’s race) and Jurai going to war is a terrible wedge between two main characters (while cleverly being their conflict escalated on a galactic scale).

At least I can enjoy it because it’s well-written; it makes me apprehensive and admittedly excited (carnage! yaarrrgh!) merely at the thought.

evilpii
      Participant
      none

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Oooooooh I have been teased thoroughly. WANT1

One step closer. gendo1

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

I’m saying YES! to all of this, but actually I’m also like NOOOOO because of the severity of what is to come, and the fact that Ryua (in pii’s continuation, Ryoko’s race) and Jurai going to war is a terrible wedge between two main characters (while cleverly being their conflict escalated on a galactic scale).

Your perception serves you well, Who. However, as Ryoko is the rebellious sort a priori, and never mentioned her heritage in Universe ever, one thinks she has little love lost with her people as a whole. That’s not to say Jurai will welcome her with open arms either. Kiyofacepalm1

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

At least I can enjoy it because it’s well-written; it makes me apprehensive and admittedly excited (carnage! yaarrrgh!) merely at the thought.

Thanks. mmhmm1 I was a bit worried about it being very out of context, as well as written over a couple hours today when the writing bug (… a spider?) bit. I’m glad that evoked those emotions. soawesome1

Admittedly, the aim was to portray Ayeka as queen and fully realizing the consequences of a weighty decision such as war. Setting the scene when she was a wife and mother not only allowed me to allude to a future family for her, but also the worries she would have at making a decision like this one. Again, viewing Abraham Lincoln: Vamire Hunter spurred this forward. I was actively visualizing the scene were Abraham was considering the battle of Gettysburg, his son playing at the foot of his desk, as well as the scenes with him and his wife when his son fell ill from a vampire’s bite.

IIRC correctly there wouldn’t be much love lost between the people of Jurai and Ryoko in the first place considering what she done when she was a space pirate in the actual canon.

Of course Aeka would probably at this time have gotten past her jealousy of Ryoko’s relationship

with Aeka,along with the fact that Sasami would be acting as mediator between the two.Plus

Aeka being the stubborn person she is would probably force at least her closest advisors to

accept Ryoko,war or no war with her people.

I wonder how much influence Tenchi will have in Aeka’s actions and decision making process during this war.

evilpii
      Participant
      none

evilpii wrote:

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Your perception serves you well, Who. However, as Ryoko is the rebellious sort a priori, and never mentioned her heritage in Universe ever, one thinks she has little love lost with her people as a whole. That’s not to say Jurai will welcome her with open arms either. Kiyofacepalm1

mitsuki lover wrote:

IIRC correctly there wouldn’t be much love lost between the people of Jurai and Ryoko in the first place considering what she done when she was a space pirate in the actual canon.

I assume this is the line to which you are referring. Where I was going with this was that Ryoko, the way I’m playing her, is a woman without a country. She rejects her own race and heritage, even weds a Juraian prince. However, due to her piratical days as well as the heritage she rejects, part of Jurai won’t immediately take her either. Earth really is her home and refuge.

However, in said canon (that damned word), Ryoko has been an active participant in many events which have benefited the crown: the defeat of Kagato’s coup d’etat (Universe), facing Kain in 1970 (TMiL1), as well as the nonsense I have written. Notably, in Universe episode 24, Azaka and Kamidake, who arguably represent Jurai’s honor and nobility, respect and commend Ryoko. I reference also Hexagram of Love, where Azusa names Ryoko a friend of the crown, provided she leaves her past behind her.

Ryoko’s allegiances are not simple, and I believe they are an avenue to be explored in more depth. I have plans for such speculation in Homecomings Chapters 4 and 5.

mitsuki lover wrote:

Of course Aeka would probably at this time have gotten past her jealousy of Ryoko’s relationship

with Aeka,along with the fact that Sasami would be acting as mediator between the two.

I think you mean “Ryoko’s relationship with Tenchi“, but you’re mostly right. However, I doubt Sasami would have anything to do with it. I would think that two grown women who have demonstrated a strong friendship, however strained by romantic nonsense, could sort their affairs without some outside mediator. I reference TMiL2, one of my great inspirations for writing Homecomings in the first place. A reason I split them up into two stories was to give them time to reflect and mature a bit before they saw one another again. Chapter 4 of Homecomings, both of them, has been planned for some time to have Ryoko and Ayeka discussing that very issue with one another. Naturally, there is that scene between Tenchi and Ayeka to rewrite as well.

mitsuki lover wrote:

Plus

Aeka being the stubborn person she is would probably force at least her closest advisors to

accept Ryoko,war or no war with her people.

Oh, of that I am certain. However, I do have an ulterior method to force the Juraian brass to tolerate Ryoko, using everything I’ve been building up for her. That will be a point in Homecomings: Masaki Chapter 5, whenever I get there.

mitsuki lover wrote:

I wonder how much influence Tenchi will have in Aeka’s actions and decision making process during this war.

A point I do hope to make in Homecomings: Jurai is that part of Ayeka’s heart will always love Tenchi, much like in TMiL2. However, while his counsel might carry significant weight, she must make decisions for the benefit of her people, not herself. In wartime, she will likely have to send her friends, even family, into harm’s way. I could imagine her agonizing over a decision to send Tenchi, Ryoko, or even one of their children on a dangerous errand. I believe there is quite a bit of drama to be had here.

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      As a note, I have decided to release this segment on FanFiction.net under the title “On the Eve of War”. To my surprise, Literary Eagle left a happy review, and even pointed out that the story fits well for Mother’s Day! mmhmm1 I had not planned that. blush1
      evilpii
      Participant
      none

Quote:

A dense forest stood bare against the cold winter temperatures while flakes of snow began to fall from the gray clouds above. The branches swayed with an icy breeze around a small clearing, its floor already dusted with a layer of frozen precipitation. From the treeline walked two people, each fifteen years of age.

The first was a young man with short, spiked cyan hair. His brown eyes, feline in shape, scanned across the clearing, evaluating the area. His ears also had a slightly elfin point at their crown. He folded his arms, thinking to himself about the coming exchange.

Next to him, a young woman stepped forward, her auburn hair cascading down to her shoulders. Her round eyes were similarly colored to her companion, but she glanced up to him. She patted her hand on his shoulder, a warm smile on her face.

He grinned to himself and walked across the expanse, opposite the lady. The two eyed one another, each circling the center of the clearing. He cracked his knuckles. She stretched her arms. He popped his neck. She raised her knees. Still, they exchanged narrowed gazes, each carefully watching the other.

A smirk crossed her lips before she slid toward him, her fist swinging up toward his face. The young man raised an arm to block her, but the brunette followed with a flurry of fists and knife-handed strikes. He blocked and dodged until her foot swung up fast from the ground. He kicked away from her, but the edge of her instep grazed his shoulder.

The cyan-haired teen raised a brow at her, but she coyly smiled back and slid into a defensive stance, her weight back. Cautiously, he approached her, his eyes focused on her face. However, he could also see her hands and lead foot. Her fingers were straight and abutting one another, ready for him.

His fist flew at her, and she side-stepped, blocking and immediately retaliating with a punch of her own. Yet, he glided away, crouching to sweep her foot. His heel nicked hers, but she rolled aside and gathered herself. He tucked his shoulder and gained rotary momentum to kick his sole at her chest. She leaned away and rose a punch toward his chops, forcing him to spin away.

The two regained their feet, and the young man mildly glared at his lady opponent. While she smirked to herself, he extended his hand at his side. Filaments of emerald light gathered around his palm, causing her pause. A wave of white passed over him, shifting his street clothes to a brown and black. Resembling oriental gi and hakama, this costume clung tightly to his hands and feet. A loop encircled each shoulder while black marks clawed along each of his cheeks. The greenish lights at his hand merged into a single orb, which he clenched in his hand. The illumination bent and bowed at his grip, becoming an arced blade of energy.

Surprised, she blinked at him before his feet left the ground and propelled him at her, sword drawn to strike. The young woman braced herself, raising a hand at his weapon. A small white hemisphere appeared over her palm and clashed against the emerald edge. He slashed at her several times, but she slid away, using the barrier to guard her retreat.

Ultimately, she neared the treeline under his advance. She glanced to either side, realizing her situation and gritted her teeth, frustrated. She leapt upward, her feet just missing the humming heat of his weapon. In the air, she hovered just over the trees, annoyance clear in her face.

Her arm crossed her chest, gathering filaments of white light to her palm. A ruby wave passed over her, replacing her garments to red plate atop a bodysuit of blue. Boots rose along her shins, and gauntlets along her forearms, modern in design. A patch of gold wrapped along her right shoulder as green, leaflike decorations extended along her neck and onto her cheeks. Below her neck, a clear crystal was embedded into the breastplate. Like her male adversary, she closed her hand around the orb of white in her hand, forging a broadsword to her use.

She darted behind him, landing on her feet with her free hand extended to aid her balance. The young man spun and flew at her, his emerald katana swinging at her. Her broadsword met his in a burst of red and blue sparks. Her feet dug into the snow-covered ground as she held fast, grinding her edge against his.

However, he stepped forward, pushing against her guard until her balance snapped. Quickly, she pulled her weapon close and slipped away, letting his blade swipe through her former location. She slashed at him, but he quickly blocked and thrust his weapon at her. The white and green swords struck repetitively, showering the two in sparks while the falling snows around them melted at the heat.

The young woman fell back, unable to break his guard and chose a new tactic. She kicked into the air and threw her white blade at her opponent. Easily, he knocked it away, but saw more brilliant power gathering into her hands. He rolled aside when a blast of pure ivory flew at his former location. He too leapt into the air and tossed his own small bolt of green back at her. She reformed her sword and sliced through it, but he soon followed it with a storm of sword strikes. She blocked and dodged, but became overwhelmed with his swift weapon.

The young woman glided away, letting her sword fade as her hands gathered. Her opponent held ready, confident to handle her coming attack, but then a tiny gleam of crimson appeared between her hands. There, a scarlet gem materialized, surprising her foe. The item hovered over her right hand as a flare of silver forged a crystalline sword, the gem encrusted into the hilt. Its blade had a diamond-shaped profile, beautiful and deadly.

She took the weapon in both hands and flew at her counterpart. His emerald blade met hers, but was immediately shattered by the hardened silver edge. The second strike came fast, but his hand raised at her. A crack etched itself into the air between him and her weapon, reality itself breaking. Blinding white light opened the crack into a shield, which takes the brunt of the lady’s strike. However, even then, the sword cut into the barrier, but was unable to penetrate.

In that moment, the two exchanged gazes again, sweat beading on both of their brows. The snows fell into her auburn hair the same as his cyan locks. Together, smiles crossed their lips, this sparring match now completed.

— “Escalation“, circa 2014, 16 years after the advent of the dark goddess on Earth, a year before Empress Ayeka’s declaration of war

This segment was discussed previously in the fan-made characters thread.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.