Those ’70’s Shows aka the Discotek Appreciation Thread

Forums Off Topic Other Anime Those ’70’s Shows aka the Discotek Appreciation Thread

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    Inspired by recent discussion:

mitsuki lover wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

mitsuki lover wrote:

so who did the series?Was that ADV?

Yeah, the “New Cutey Honey” OVA series, though.

We’ve never gotten the original series or the “Re: Cutie Honey” series that came along with that movie.

That’s too bad ,it would have been interesting to see the original anime series.

Well, Guess What?! :D

Quote:

North American video distributor Discotek Media announced on Saturday that it will release the original 1973-74 Cutey Honey television series in a 25-episode box set next year.

The television series was the first anime adaptation of Go Nagai’s classic manga of the same name. It centers around Honey Kisaragi, a girl who is actually an android equipped with a device that can create any object she wishes. An evil organization named Panther Claw wants to steal the device, but Honey uses the device to transform into the super heroine Cutey Honey to fight Panther Claw.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZTNAhYP2A4[/BBvideo]

But wait, that’s not all! 😮

Quote:

North American video distributor Discotek Media announced on Saturday that it will release the 92 episodes of the original 1972-74 Mazinger Z television anime series. Discotek is aiming to release the first box set at the end of 2013.

The anime was the first adaptation of Go Nagai’s 1972 super robot manga of the same name. The story follows high school boy Kōji Kabuto in his super robot Mazinger Z as he battles Dr. Hell, a mad scientist bent on world domination.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKKshSa-qWA[/BBvideo]

And heck, they still have this waiting in the wings! 😎

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VMUPOEfbiE[/BBvideo]

If TMS and Toei want to keep giving them shows, I’ll keep giving D-tek my business!

Viewing 106 reply threads
  • Replies
      Oh yeah,that is definitely cool news Nobuyuki. 🙂

I can see me adding the original ’70s Cutie Honey and Captain Harlock to my collection.

Now if someone would do something about resurrecting classic ’80s series like KOR…

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Awesome stuff you’ve found there Nobuyuki! I believe my love for 70’s anime, especially the work of one Leiji Matsumoto, is firmly on record here so I shall spare you all my gushing! :Cheeks:

Anyway, I will totally be getting some of these (after I give Funi all my money for the Tenchi sets that is!). I have heard a lot about Cutey Honey, but I have never actually seen any of it. How would you say it is? (everyone feel free to chime in, not just Nobuyuki)

DISCOTEK IS BEST PONY…ER I MEAN ANIME DISTRIBUTOR!

But yeah can’t wait for these babies to hit! 2013 is looking to be a great year for fans of Retro/Classic animu! :D

mitsuki lover wrote:

Now if someone would do something about resurrecting classic ’80s series like KOR…

People expressed interest in Nozomi Entertainment to do so, but that’s not saying much. Don’t expect Toho Company to grant distribution rights to high profile productions that aren’t Godzilla or standalone anime movies. Hell, ADV Films couldn’t even get the rights to DYRL.

Too bad Geneon is gone. IIRC, they had distribution rights for Urusei Yatsura in the motherland, and could have released box set collections here when AnimEigo’s license expired…

Yeah,it would’ve been nice to have had an official set to go along with my fansubs of KOR.

Chucklocker,I only have seen the live action movie so can’t say anything about the actual anime itself for

Cutie Honey.Though if you enjoyed the campiness of the tv Batman you ought to check out the Cutie Honey live action movie.

WisperG

SilverWhisper wrote:

mitsuki lover wrote:

People expressed interest in Nozomi Entertainment to do so, but that’s not saying much. Don’t expect Toho Company to grant distribution rights to high profile productions that aren’t Godzilla or standalone anime movies. Hell, ADV Films couldn’t even get the rights to DYRL.

Too bad Geneon is gone. IIRC, they had distribution rights for Urusei Yatsura in the motherland, and could have released box set collections here when AnimEigo’s license expired…

To my knowledge, ADVs release of Macross had nothing to do with Toei, they sublicensed that and Robotech straight from thte bungholes at Harmony Gold. But lets not get into the whole Macross/HG fiasco.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

Yeah,it would’ve been nice to have had an official set to go along with my fansubs of KOR.

You’re just late to the game… I got mine in the nick of time. 😆

As for on-topicality, I have the ADV “New Cutey Honey” re-issue as well as the L-A movie, and I’ve seen “Re: Cutey Honey”… I’d agree with the campy fun description.

But I’m also willing to defer to the experts. 😉

^I was going to say it’s been out of print for a long time, but I noticed the forum dates from 2006…

The AnimEigo set is crap anyway. I don’t care how significant it is to the anime community. It seems for all of AE’s earlier releases that everything looks so faded, maybe from a filtering process they did to add the subtitles. I’ve seen taped broadcasts with better quality than the DVDs. Also, since they command outrageous prices, you might as well go all the way.

The only problem with my fansub set for KOR is that in the days when I was new to DVDs and didn’t know

nada about cleaning them I ended up scratching the second and third discs.Not too bad,and I was able to fix both with the Skip Dr. I later got last Christmas,but still one episode at the end of vol.3 has a problem now with looping back to the beginning.

*SIGH*If only I could go back and stop myself from being such an idiot! :(

As far as the series itself goes,I really rather enjoy it a lot. :D

Now as far as Go Nagai goes,I’ve only seen Devil Lady and the Live Action Cutie Honey.

mitsuki lover wrote:

As far as the series itself goes,I really rather enjoy it a lot. :D

Who doesn’t?

Quote:

Now as far as Go Nagai goes,I’ve only seen Devil Lady and the Live Action Cutie Honey.

Well then, I’d recommend Mujigen Hunter Fandora. It’s another 80s anime, and that’s all I’ve been talking about, but honestly… Apart from Gundam and Star Blazers, I’m fairly unfamiliar with 70s anime. Urusei Yatsura actually came out in 1978, but everyone considers it an 80s series despite finishing ten years later at the height of the 1980s Japanese bubble economy. It’s best to forget about Always, My Darling.

I thought Rumiko Takahashi was still in college in 1978.She’d only have been 21 back then.
      ^Yes, and that’s probably how Shogakukan discovered her because she was publishing doujinshi since 1975.
      Oh…That would make her 17 or 18 in 1975(depending on what month she was born).

She’s not that much older than me.

I came across a Captain Harlock site yesterday.
      WisperG
      More announcements! Discotek has licensed GTO and Thermae Romae.

Personally I couldn’t get into GTO. It just wasn’t my cup of tea I guess. But I know it has lots of fans, so good for them.

As for TR, it appears to be about bathhouses and time travel. Which sounds hilariously awesome 😆

I’ll be sure to give it a watch once its out.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      And then Right Stuf has to go back farther. 😮

Hmm… Utena, Rose of Versailles, Princess Knight… I’m sensing a theme. 😉

and what might that be pray tell? 😆

From what I read at the Animenation Blog yesterday it will be the edited Enlgish language dub with

the Spanish dub.The main reason for this is that they say that the lip synching on the original Japanese

unedited version wasn’t too good.

mitsuki lover wrote:

From what I read at the Animenation Blog yesterday it will be the edited Enlgish language dub with

the Spanish dub.The main reason for this is that they say that the lip synching on the original Japanese

Come again?

bkev
      These guys won my heart with Fist of the North Star. They’ve only won more of it through Harlock and the GE movies. And let’s not forget Mazinger Z!
      Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

Considering they would have to get the spanish dub, the japanese dub was part of the deal, and it’s essentially the Progenitor of modern Shoujo (and is treated as such), unless Right Stuff comes out and says so, I’m calling bull on that one.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      ^OK. 😉

Quote:

Also known as “Choppy and the Princess,” the Princess Knight television series will be released via Right Stuf’s Nozomi Entertainment as two limited-edition DVD sets. This will be the first time the series will be available to North American audiences on licensed DVD. The DVD sets will feature its original English-language dub, as well as a Spanish-language audio option.

Due to the availability of materials, these DVD releases will utilize the edited and cut, broadcast video footage from Princess Knight’s television syndication during the 1960s and 1970s. (Japanese audio will not be included on these sets because it cannot be synched to the video.)

I saw the trailer at Animenation’s Blog.If I remember correctly John’s sentiments were similiar to Dagon’s.

In fact he went so far as to say he wouldn’t even think of buying it if it was just the cut English dub version that aired on American tv.

Anonymous

Nobuyuki wrote:

^OK. 😉

I thought he was referring to Rose of Versaille not Princess Knight

No,it was Princess Knight,or at least I think we were talking about Princess Knight.That was at least

what the item I was referring to on the Animenation Blog was about.In any case,now where were we?

I’m totally confused as to what we were talking about now.

WisperG
      Discotek starts the year off on a high note. They’ve aquired Gunbuster 2: Diebuster and will release it on May 21st with an MSRP of $30.

More info:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=554884977873934&set=a.196378827057886.55668.147168055312297&type=1

Cover art:

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/a96785815b44f6b7fe4e785a5a86c7051357592681_full.jpg" />

Nobuyuki
      Participant

WisperG wrote:

$30.

Much better than the Bandai Visual asking price, but I’d rather have the original Gunbuster out again. isawitplz

Oh well, come what May… 😉

Agreed,it be better to have the original out so if any of us who were interested in Gunbuster could then get in from the start.
      I must a God or simply jinxed it again, because a day after I said:

Quote:

Considering how series come and go, Urusei Yatsura is one of the few which has basically been immortalized by Japan. Albeit, it’s more about Lum’s marketability, which is directed more to girls than the series shōnen roots. As for the United States, well it’s old. From the decreasing familiarity and ultimately popularity of InuYasha today, it’s like how many people talked about Urusei Yatsura when InuYasha was big (circa 2003). Funny, Ranma actually did reasonably well in the U. S. along InuYasha despite being a total flop in Japan.

…well, whad’ya know?

Is that just the series or are they also re-releasing the movies and ovas for each title as well?
      Likely not, because Toho scrapped the Beautiful Dreamer release.
      Discotek continues to be one of my favorite companies! ALso seems like theres some new smilies since last I was here, NICE! bth_MIHOSHI212121 bth_kiyonespritegif.

Also…I’m joined to way to many forums, I feel bad I haven’t posted on here since October…. so ahh hey everbody, how yea been!?

Is that the original?In any case:EPIC!!!!! :washu: :washu: :washu: :washu:
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Mo’ Go Nagai! 🙂

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTVj-4uiOt4[/BBvideo]

Quote:

Discotek Media announced on Tuesday that it licensed the Devilman television anime series, Cardcaptor Sakura: The Movie, the Jin-Roh film, and Mamoru Oshii’s Dallos original video anime series. It also confirmed its license for the Lily C.A.T. original video anime project.

Discotek will release its previously announced Blue Submarine No. 6 title on September 14 with English dub and subtitles. The company adds that its release will have “video quality upgraded from the previous US DVDs.” The Great Teacher Onizuka complete collection will follow on September 24 with English dub and subtitles.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/999975_659761567386274_75047605_n.jpg" />https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1012830_659761294052968_148833778_n.jpg" />

I take it that’s the first Cardcaptor Sakura movie.

Devilman sounds interesting.Already having Devil Lady it might be interesting to get the original.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      YES!YES!YES!

And the Cardcaptor movie in 2014.So far the ones I am most interested in now are:

Cutie Honey

Cardcaptor Sakura The Movie

Captain Harlock

Devilman

Blue Submarine no.6

add that to my current want list and I would think I have just about enough to finish off my collection. 😎

Though I will not considered my collection ‘officially’ finished until I get the fourth Eva reboot movie.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      EEP!

Quote:

He played by the rules. His mother did nothing wrong. Chirin is confused and angry, and betrayed by his faith in nature. He refuses to accept that he has no choice but to be wolf bait. He will become a wolf, even if it means learning at the knee of the one who killed his mother.

https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/q71/942441_664716513557446_1588901209_n.jpg" />

That one sounds a bit weird.

As far as it goes:Cutie Honey and Cardcaptor Sakura and Captain Herlock are definite need to get.

The others I would get if I can or have room enough.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      If you haven’t gotten it yet, now’s the time. badass1

Quote:

North American anime distributor Discotek Media announced on Wednesday that it will release Hayao Miyazaki’s first feature film, Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, on DVD and Blu-ray Disc. Discotek noted that it will ship the DVD first, “probably in August.” The company will then ship the Blu-ray Disc by the end of 2014 or in early 2015. Both releases will include both English dubs, the original intro, and the Japanese audio track with English subtitles.

Got the Manga version of the movie.I agree it is worth getting,especially since Disney supposedly ripped off certain sequences for their The Great Mouse Detective.Should I STILL be surprised at Disney for ripping off

anime like that?

Any way enjoying the sheer soawesome1 of 1973 Cutie Honey.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

since Disney supposedly ripped off certain sequences for their The Great Mouse Detective.

Suuurrre they did. woooo1

Anyway, more good old cartoons coming our way:

Quote:

North American distributor Discotek Media announced on Wednesday that it will release Isao Takahata’s directorial debut film Hols, Prince of the Sun (Little Norse Prince Valiant) in December. The company will reveal details at a later date.

The company also revealed that it will release the 1984 Sherlock Hound television anime series in a complete collection on September 30 on DVD with the English dub and the Japanese audio with English subtitles.

Toei Animation released Hols, Prince of the Sun in 1968. Hayao Miyazaki served as concept artist and scene designer. MGM released the film in English-dubbed form, which is currently streaming on Netflix and Hulu.

Academy Award-winning director Hayao Miyazaki (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Spirited Away, Ponyo) and director Kyosuke Mikuriya (Lupin III: Part II, Ulysses 31) oversaw Sherlock Hound, which re-imagines Sir Authur Conan Doyle’s brilliant detective and the rest of England as canine characters. Geneon Entertainment previously released the series on DVD in 2002, and TMS previously streamed the series in English on YouTube.

Discotek Media also noted that it will release Cardcaptor Sakura: The Movie film on DVD on September 30 with both the Japanese and English audio tracks. The company will release the film on Blu-ray Disc later this year.

Discotek will also release the complete Megaman television series on DVD on September 30.

The company also revealed the following releases for August 26:

* Fatal Fury OVA (which includes Fatal Fury: Legend of the Hungry Wolf and Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle) on DVD (includes English dub and Japanese audio track with new English subtitles)

* Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture (includes new widescreen anamorphic transfer, English dub, and Japanese audio track with new English subtitles)

* Cybersix complete series (includes commentary by Cathy Weseluck and Brady Hartel)

Lastly, the company revealed that it will reissue the Lupin the 3rd: Complete First Series Collection on May 27. The new edition will contain episodes 1-23 and the regular pilot film.

WisperG
      Dat Megaman box art! The nostalgia is strong with this one soawesome1

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t31.0-8/1399564_827045987324497_9177803855873928739_o.jpg" />

What can I say about Cardcaptor Sakura:The Movie but: iloveit1 iloveit1 iloveit1 iloveit1 iloveit1

Ah! My growing list of wanna have anime getting to point I shall need a TARDIS! 😆

Gaff
      Participant
      Nice to see that Discotek are re-releasing Cagliostro. The Optimum UK release has the original opening credits, but I’ve actually never seen the Manga dub and I’m sure there were rumblings of a commentary track, so I’ll likely end up buying it again.

Also something of a reminder that I still need to pick up their release of Bye Bye Liberty Crisis. It’s one of the more interesting tv specials and I really liked the cast that Manga UK used for their Lupin dubs.

So far the only Discotek licensed series I have are the 1973 Cutie Honey and Diebuster.Both great fun. iloveit1
      Now can add Dragon Half to the Discotek pile.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Here’s some news for the “SQUEE”ish among you:

Quote:

North American distributor Discotek Media announced on Monday that it will release the Chi’s Sweet Home television anime and its sequel, Chi’s New Address. According to the company, both are “coming soon.”

Kanata Konami’s original Chi’s Sweet Home manga centers around a kitten who gets lost after walking out into the real world for the first time. A boy named Yōhei Yamada discovers her, but the Yamada family’s apartment building prohibits pets. After failing to find a new home, the Yamadas decide to defy the rules and raise Chi themselves. Most of Chi’s coming-of-age stories revolve around the Yamadas or the cats, dogs, and the occasional rabbit that live in the neighborhood.

http://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/10177996_838641776164918_8200308372110137816_n.jpg" />

iloveit1
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

What can I say about Cardcaptor Sakura:The Movie but: iloveit1 iloveit1 iloveit1 iloveit1 iloveit1

Ah! My growing list of wanna have anime getting to point I shall need a TARDIS! 😆

Might have to divert some TARDIS funds to NISA for the rest of it ;) :

Quote:

NIS America announced on Wednesday that it will release the Cardcaptor Sakura anime series in a Blu-ray Premium Edition and DVD Standard Edition in North America. Both editions will include a bonus monaural English-dubbed track, and will ship on August 5.

The Premium Edition, which will retail for US$249.99, will include all 70 episodes on nine Blu-ray Discs, a 76-page hardcover art book, clean openings and endings, and a collectable slip case. The Standard edition will ship in three 4-DVD volumes for US$59.99 each.

August?

According to my current schedule I’ll be ordering part 3 of Madoka in August.CCS will have to wait until next year then as I plan on getting Vividreadas my Christmas gift to myself and it’s just as expensive DVDwise.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Aww yeah! badass1

Quote:

Shin Mazinger Z Impact (Shin Mazinger Shōgeki! Z-Hen) is an alternate retelling of Go Nagai’s classic 1970s super robot story Mazinger Z. Despite this, the production staff took great care to emphasize that their work is a separate work from Mazinger Z and not a remake per se. The television series ran in Japan in 2009 with director Yasuhiro Imagawa (Giant Robo, G-Gundam).

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-55YJpaDys[/BBvideo]

Oh yeah, I guess they have Zombie-Loan, too.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Apparently it’s a great day for Discotek:

Quote:

The 35-episode series follows fighter pilot Kei Katsuragi and his friend Orson who go on a mission to escort the deployment of a new space-time oscillation bomb inside enemy territory. However, a mistake causes the bomb to explode, scrambling time, space and different dimensions. Now in a completely alien and unfamiliar environment, Kei meets the Emarn, a group of technologically advanced gypsy traders, and begins his search for a way to restore time and space.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YByEqzHIFl8[/BBvideo]

And Itazura na Kiss makes four.

Now if they could only get Devil Lady I’d be happy.I got all but volumes 1 and 3 of ADV’s version.

The finale has one of the most awesome fights in all anime.

Though why is it that Jun keeps reminding me of Katsumi from Silent Mobius?

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Dude! Suh-weet! iloveit1

Quote:

North American anime distributor Discotek Media announced on Friday that it will release the Magic Knight Rayearth television anime, the Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas original video anime, the Descendants of Darkness television anime, the IGPX television series, and the Lupin III: Bank of Liberty (Lupin III: From Russia With Love) television special next year.

I already got me the Anime Works version of season of Magic Knight Rayearth along with the season 2 manga.

Now if only Discotek could get the rights to KOR soawesome1 .

Yes,we need the return of Ayukawa Madoka! mmhmm1

Almael
      Hmm, wait since when is IGPX old (e.g. 70’s) classic? not that I don’t want it.

And btw. about Orguss 2. It’s not a big show it would be nice to bundle it all together.

The only IGPX I know of is the one that aired on the Toon Network a couple years back and that was

a modern show.So unless there was a completely different series…

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Almael wrote:

Hmm, wait since when is IGPX old (e.g. 70’s) classic? not that I don’t want it.

We’ve pretty much moved past that part of the thread title, therefore- “Discotek Appreciation”. ;)

mitsuki lover wrote:

The only IGPX I know of is the one that aired on the Toon Network a couple years back and that was

a modern show.

The same.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/247181_968283766534051_7844758732659073662_n.jpg?oh=e0af04f599c92f3e5b0c7a180e7bdbb4&oe=561533D6" />

Thought as much.

Really when are they going to get on the ball and get Kimagure Orange Road ? Personally I would love to see them announce a 30th anniversary release for 2017.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Oh my stars and garters!

Quote:

Discotek announced on Sunday that it has licensed five new titles for North American distribution: Lupin III: Daisuke Jigen’s Gravestone (Lupin the IIIrd: Jigen Daisuke no Bohyō), Yowamushi Pedal, Iria – Zeiram the Animation, Little Mermaid (Andersen Dōwa – Ningyo Hime), and Go Nagai World (CB Chara Go Nagai World).

Discotek also announced that Lupin III: Daisuke Jigen’s Gravestone will feature the company’s first original English dub. The company will release the title on Blu-ray and DVD with the dub and English subtitles.

Discotek mentioned that it has five more titles it has licensed and will likely reveal them in January.

tenchiahhhhhh

More Lupin always a good thing. soawesome1
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Nobuyuki wrote:

Discotek mentioned that it has five more titles it has licensed and will likely reveal them in January.

More like a baker’s dozen:

Quote:

North American anime distributor Discotek Media announced on Wednesday that it will release the Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club television anime, Robot Carnival original video anime, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust movie, Arpeggio of Blue Steel television series, Night on the Galactic Railroad movie, Seha Girls (Sega Hard Girls) television anime, Strike the Blood television anime, Galilei Donna television anime, Recently, my sister is unusual. television series, Earl and Fairy television anime, Shining Tears X Wind television anime, Night Warriors (Darkstalkers) original video anime, Street Fighter II: The Movie, and USA Network’s Street Fighter II television series.

badass1

Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust is a definite must.

mitsuki lover wrote:

Thought as much.

Really when are they going to get on the ball and get Kimagure Orange Road ? Personally I would love to see them announce a 30th anniversary release for 2017.

I’d like to see VIZ rescue KOR and Urusei Yatsura’s licenses, and renew Maison Ikkoku. Since their cash cow Naruto is coming to end, they should return to what they did best.

I don’t see VIZ doing that any time soon.
      ^Nor do I see Nozomi acquiring or even being able to afford the rights to such high-profile series without a convincing commitment to sell many physical copies…

If anything, revenue would be stream-based like Marimite.

If only someone would do us the favor.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      More good stuff. mmhmm1

Quote:

Discotek Media announced that it has licensed the Library Wars, Sonic X, and Giant Gorg television anime, the Lupin III vs. Detective Conan television special, Lupin III vs. Detective Conan The Movie, and the 5 Centimeters per Second film. 5 Centimeters per Second is slated for June 2, and the release dates on the other titles will be announced at a later time.

plus:

Quote:

the Dororo television anime series. It will also reissue the Samurai Pizza Cats anime series on standard-definition Blu-ray Disc, and it confirmed its previously announced Blu-ray Disc release of the Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo anime series.

I’m all in for the Lupin The Third Vs. Detective Conan movie and special.That sounds like fun.

iloveit1 soawesome1

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I’m all in for the Lupin The Third Vs. Detective Conan movie

Saw the first movie and loved Lupin since the first series even the pilot

Well it is Lupin and Lupin being Lupin it has to be at least semi-good.Plus Detective Conan

being my #7 favorite anime and Ran/Rachel being my favorite character…

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      North American anime distributor Discotek Media announced at its panel at Otakon on Sunday that it will release the classic 1976 robot anime series Gaiking (Daikū Maryū Gaiking) and the Wicked City (Yōjū Toshi) anime film on home video.

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmTNkeDUvg[/BBvideo]

ANN wrote:

Far off in outer space, the planet Zela is doomed by an approaching black hole, which forces the diabolical Great Emperor to set his sights on a suitable world to colonize for his people…Earth! But before the invasion can begin, the Emperor and his four generals scheme to eliminate the troublesome human race by raiding our planet with giant robot monsters!

As one of only a handful of Earthlings with psychic powers, Sanshiro Tsuwabuki is destined to pilot Gaiking, a giant robot that might be Earth’s only hope against the monstrous steel hordes of the Great Emperor. Recruited to join an elite team of pilots who control an incredible arsenal of high-tech weapons and mecha, including a massive carrier known as the Space Dragon, Tsuwabuki and Gaiking must square off against a giant robot tarantula, Zelan mind control, deadly hallucinations, nuclear war and more evil, mechanical monstrosities! The battle for the fate of two worlds begins!

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jDSbHomlrs[/BBvideo]

Quote:

For centuries, a secret peace treaty has existed between Earth and The Black World, a parallel dimension populated by shape-changers who possess awesome supernatural powers. Now that pact is up for renewal and a militant faction from the Black World will do everything in its power to stop the treaty from being signed. The fate of the world rests on the shoulders of a pair of special agents, one a human, the other a shape-changer from the dark dimension.

Almael
      Already, got some Gaiking on tape but was about time for the new media.

Wicked City: I was waiting for this.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      stuff

Quote:

North American home video distributor Discotek Media announced on Thursday that it will release the Hana Yori Dango television anime and movie, 07-Ghost television anime, Beelzebub television anime, Kyousougiga anime, Getter Robo: Armageddon video anime, Z/X Ignition television anime, and Karate Master (Karate Baka Ichidai) television anime. It also announced that it will release Space Adventure Cobra – The Movie and The Venus Wars anime film on Blu-ray Disc (after releasing them on DVD), and it confirmed the release schedules of other titles.

October 23rd

Lupin III vs. Detective Conan special and movie

October 27th

Arpeggio of Blue Steel

November

Library War (November 4th)

Night on the Galactic Railroad

Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas

December

Yowamushi Pedal

January

Wicked City

Lupin III vs. Detective Conan can’t wait. Need my Ran fix.

Speaking of Lupin, just saw episode 1 of Cat’s Eye yesterday and the Kisugi sisters would certainly have made Lupin or even better Fujiko proud.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      unf tenchiahhhhhh

North American distributor Discotek Media announced on Friday that it has licensed the Lupin the Third Series 2 (Lupin III: Part II) TV anime series. The company plans to release the series in four DVD sets starting in 2016. The company will include “any English dubs that already exist” and the Japanese language with English subtitles.

Discotek added that episodes 80-155 will have improved English subtitles and episodes 145 and 155 will also have the Streamline English dub.

Ok so sounds like they’re not going to go all Funi on us and hire new VAs then. This should be good news for those who liked the original dub.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Yum.

Quote:

Discotek Media announced that it plans to release the Cromartie High School with Japanese and English dubs in April or May.

The 2003-2004 anime adapts Eiji Nonaka’s manga of the same name. ADV Films previously released the anime on DVD with English subtitles and a dub, and ADV Manga released part of the manga in North America.

The comedy anime is a series of 12-minute episodes following Takashi Kamiyama, who is the only non-delinquent enrolled in a school full of delinquents.

Good.

Quote:

North American anime distributor Section23 Films announced on Thursday that the Maiden Japan label will release the Gunbuster (Top o Nerae! Gunbuster) anime. Maiden Japan will release the series as one movie on DVD and Blu-ray on May 17, and the release will feature the Japanese commentary track along with cast and crew interviews.

The release recompiles the six episodes of Hideaki Anno’s 1988 Gunbuster original video anime (OVA) series. US Renditions and Manga Entertainment released the series on videotape, and Bandai Visual USA released the series on DVD in 2007.

Cromartie High aired on G4’s Anime Unleashed. It has an odd ball cast to say the least including a robot that thinks ‘he’ ‘s human and a Freddie Mercury look a like. Also IIRC wasn’t there a

gorilla in there somewhere? 😆

So why are they releasing Diebuster now when they already released Gunbuster?

One would think they would’ve released the original series before Gunbuster. Also will they

be releasing the movie?

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      ANN:

Discotek Media announced that it has licensed the four-episode original video anime (OVA) 8 Man After. The company plans to release a DVD with all four episodes with English and Japanese audio.

Streamline Entertainment licensed the OVA and Image Entertainment released the OVA on DVD in 2001 with an English dub track only. Discotek’s release will be the first time the OVA has been made available in Japanese with English subtitles.

The 1993 OVA is a sequel to the 1963-1964 8 Man television series, and both are based on the manga by Kazumasa Hirai (Genma Wars) and Jiro Kuwata (Batman: The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga). Image Entertainment described the story:

A high-tech crime syndicate.​ Cybernetic mobsters jacked into a network of designer drugs,​ violence and all consuming corruption.​ A modern metropolis on the verge of total meltdown.​ The only possible outcome – total chaos!

A private investigator working a routine case involving stolen technology is mortally wounded.​ His only hope for survival comes from sacrificing his humanity to become 8man – a powerful cyborg crime-fighter enhanced with a living human brain.​ Resurrected as the ultimate high-tech vigilante,​ it is up to 8man to bring the lawless to justice and put an end to the escalating cycle of violence.​

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myDX-GdcNPQ[/BBvideo] ;)

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      :ANN:

Discotek Media announced on Friday that it has licensed the A Wind Named Amnesia anime film as well as the Pilot Candidate and Soul Hunter television anime series. Discotek Media plans to release all three anime on June 28th. The company added that its release of Pilot Candidate will include the OVA that Bandai Entertainment did not previously release in the U.S.

Discotek also announced that it will release the complete original Dino Mech Gaiking anime series on June 21, and that it is “trying for a July release” for Beelzebub Part 1 (which will contain episodes 1-30).

The company also revealed the cover for its DVD/Blu-ray Disc combo release of Lupin III: Voyage to Danger.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/l/t1.0-9/12938371_1290631780965913_856044271146907243_n.jpg?oh=5c1d35f6641f07e697611fb4a20cf4b9&oe=57B32AAA" />

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/t31.0-8/s960x960/12916796_1290629567632801_8707372181533499705_o.jpg" />

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12931205_1290562510972840_5559549370784972828_n.jpg?oh=c6c627807eb08ff696e48e7a0c61bd9b&oe=5786ABC1" />

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtl1/t31.0-8/s960x960/12671706_1290562084306216_4484888697164605153_o.jpg" />

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/s960x960/12973099_1290561357639622_7067675351464631558_o.jpg" />

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/s960x960/12970949_1290560867639671_8610573040292076673_o.jpg" />

Almael
      Took long enough for these to come out.

Hmm, the Gaiking title is kind of misleading in regards to Gaiking: Legend of Daikū-Maryū (2005/6).

Pilot Candidate aka Candidate For Goddess is the one definite for me since I have the first disc already and so need to complete it.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      North American home video distributor Discotek Media announced during its panel at the AnimeNEXT convention on Sunday that it has licensed the Demon Lord Dante television anime (formerly released by Geneon), the Jungle Emperor Leo anime film (formerly released by Media Blasters), the Black Jack The Movie anime film (formerly released by Manga Entertainment), the Star Fleet (Super Space Machine X Bomber) puppet show, and the True Tears television anime (formerly released by Bandai Visual USA).

The company also announced it will release the Golgo 13: The Professional anime film on Blu-ray Disc.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Discotek Media announced on its Facebook page on Monday that it has licensed the Gokudo and Koi Koi Seven television anime.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13728929_1362447153784375_4516388533264534949_n.jpg?oh=cc77ee838ffb701e446411611ba9beec&oe=58370EF7" />

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUt76sgT13k[/BBvideo]

Discotek will release the complete Gokudo series on September 27. Media Blasters previously released the 1999 series on DVD and VHS with an English dub. The story follows an adventurer named Gokudo who seeks all the money and beautiful girls in the world.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13731487_1362443233784767_7804451858993074964_n.jpg?oh=653247e7afa2989b3319193cf7fc651d&oe=57EF2BBF" />

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjm4ll7HIec[/BBvideo]

Koi Koi Seven will ship on DVD in September. The story in the 2005 anime (and the original 2003 manga by Hanaukyo Maid Team creator Morishige) revolves around Tetsuro, a boy who just enrolled in an otherwise all-girls high school. He finds himself caught in the nearly daily battles among the student body with helicopters, bazookas, beam sabers, and more bizarre weapons. However, Koi Koi Seven, a school faction that includes a girl with a longtime crush on him, has vowed to protect him.

The company also announced release dates for some of its previously announced titles: Tekkaman Blade II is slated for release on Blu-ray Disc on September 27, Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie is slated for release on Blu-Disc in September, the Hana Yori Dango anime series and movie are slated for release together in October, and the US Street Fighter II animated series is slated for September 27.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13769591_1362444223784668_2734615251230171513_n.jpg?oh=e2c6b052369a2ab839304c7ef472c5e4&oe=581E91C8" />

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13718516_1362440440451713_1749393942348458659_n.jpg?oh=06a5410c9414dfd0fe871d331030cc85&oe=57ED2188" />

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13709904_1362438370451920_4700589471914891203_n.jpg?oh=5b557f5e4124376bf9c7a7e685eb14b7&oe=582C7F84" />

Discotek will announce more licenses at Otakon from August 12-14.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      linky

Discotek Media announced at its Otakon panel on Saturday that it has licensed the Arcadia of My Youth and Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer anime films, the Lupin III: Island of Assassins and Lupin III: Operation Return the Treasure specials, and the Charge Man Ken television anime.

Discotek also announced that it will release 5 Centimeters Per Second and Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture on Blu-ray Disc. The company previously released 5 Centimeters Per Second on DVD in 2015, and released Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture on DVD in 2014.

Discotek will release the Arcadia of My Youth film on DVD and Blu-ray Disc( ). The 1982 film is an alternate retelling of Leiji Matsumoto’s Space Pirate Captain Harlock television series. Tomoharu Katsumata (Mazinger Z, Devilman) directed the film off a screenplay by Yooichi Onaka. Celebrity Home Entertainment first released an edited version of the film on VHS with an English dub under the title Vengeance of the Space Pirate. AnimEigo later released the film with English subtitles on VHS in 2000 and on DVD in 2003.

Discotek will release Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer on DVD and Blu-ray Disc. The 1984 film is the second film based on Rumiko Takahashi’s Urusei Yatsura manga. Mamoru Oshii wrote and directed the film. Central Park Media released the film on VHS in 1993 and later on DVD in 2004.

Discotek will release Lupin III: Island of Assassins in a Blu-ray Disc/DVD combo pack. The special first debuted on NTV in 1997. FUNimation Entertainment released it on DVD in 2005. Toshiyasu Shinohara served as chief director and Hiroyuki Yano (Soreike! Anpanman films) directed the special.

Discotek will release Lupin III: Operation Return the Treasure on DVD. The 2003 special has never been licensed in the United States. Jun Kawagoe (Cyborg 009 The Cyborg Soldier, Mazinkaiser SKL) directed the special off a script by Hiroshi Kashiwabara (Lupin III: Voyage to Danger, Lupin the 3rd: Bye Bye, Lady Liberty).

Discotek will release Charge Man Ken on DVD, and will also stream the series. Knack Productions produced the series of 65 five-minute episodes in 1973. The story focuses on 10-year-old Ken, who transforms into a superhero to protect earth from invaders called Juralians. The show gained popularity after Line Communications released the series on DVD in Japan in 2007.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      ANN:

Discotek Media announced on Wednesday that it has licensed the Eat-Man, Eat-Man `98, Cosmo Warrior Zero, Gun Frontier and The Galaxy Railways: A Letter from the Abandoned Planet anime.

In addition, Discotek announced that it will release School Days on Blu-ray Disc on December 6 and the Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road sequel anime on DVD in January. Discotek released School Days on DVD in 2014. The company announced in 2014 that it had licensed both the first and the second anime series for Yowamushi Pedal, and released the first series in January 2016.

The original Eat-Man anime series from 1997 is slated for release on DVD on December 6. Like Akihito Yoshitomi’s Eat-Man manga, the 12-episode anime series follows Bolt Crank, a man who can eat anything and reproduce it in his right hand.

Discotek plans to release Eat-Man `98 on DVD in January. Bandai Entertainment previously released the 12-episode series on DVD in 2005 with an English dub, but Discotek’s release will be Japanese-only with English subtitles.

Discotek plans to release Cosmo Warrior Zero on DVD on December 20. The release will include both Japanese and English dub tracks.

Discotek will release the The Galaxy Railways: A Letter from the Abandoned Planet OVA on DVD in January, with a Blu-ray Disc release to follow. Crunchyroll recently added the anime streaming, and the series is also streaming on Viewster. The four-episode OVA bridges the story of The Galaxy Railways and Ginga Tetsudo Monogatari: Eien e no Bunkiten television anime, although it was released after the latter had already aired. The OVA debuted in December 2006.

Discotek’s upcoming release calendar is as follows:

November 8th

Sonic X Seasons 1 and 2 DVD

Shining Tears X Wind DVD

Strike the Blood DVD/BD combo

Karate Master DVD

07-Ghost DVD

December 6th

Lupin Return the Treasure DVD

Sonic X Season 3 DVD

School Days BD

Eat-Man original series DVD

Black Jack The Movie BD

Jungle Emperor Leo BD

December 20th

Cosmo Warrior Zero DVD

Gun Frontier DVD

Star Fleet DVD

Lupin the 3rd 2nd Series first collection 1-40 DVD

Black Jack The Movie DVD

Jungle Emperor Leo DVD

Almael
      Star Fleet aka X-Bomber

For a second I thought it was the novel series a few years ago.

Almael
      It appears Captain Future is now being released again. iloveit1

http://www.fandompost.com/2016/08/30/ab-productions-sets-captain-future-dvdbd-anime-box-set/

I wonder if we will ever get a complete english release.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%AD%E3%83%A3%E3%83%97%E3%83%86%E3%83%B3%E3%83%95%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%81%E3%83%A3%E3%83%BC-Blu-ray-BOX-VOL-1-%E5%88%9D%E5%9B%9E%E7%94%9F%E7%94%A3%E9%99%90%E5%AE%9A/dp/B01CTXVYKK

First box sells for 32,000 yen and preorder of both boxes and the OST for 58,220. WANT1

Even being one of the most influential/greatest scifi novel/show that’s quite a lot you got to fork. wth2

And it doesn’t seem to come with any art books, too. Kiyofacepalm1

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      iloveit1:

Discotek Media announced on Monday that it has licensed the Lupin III: Part IV anime and plans to release it on home video in 2017 with both English and Japanese audio tracks.

Richard Epcar, the voice of Daisuke Jigen from Lupin III: Part II, returned to direct the English dub along with Ellyn Stern. Tony Oliver (Arsene Lupin III), Lex Lang (Goemon Ishikawa), and Michelle Ruff (Fujiko Mine) also returned from Part II. Doug Erholtz is replacing Jake Martin as Zenigata.

The Phuuz crew rides again! :D

Yes!Yes!Yes! More Lupin. soawesome1
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Any news on Kyousougiga dvd or blu ray being released? Last I read it was said to be released by 2016, but nothing else after.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

Any news on Kyousougiga dvd or blu ray being released?

Finishing up pre-production. [4:00]

WisperG

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Any news on Kyousougiga dvd or blu ray being released? Last I read it was said to be released by 2016, but nothing else after.

Well, the last they said about it was “Coming Soon” back in August when they showed off the final cover art.

Seeing as how they’ve already announced their release slate through December though, it won’t be this year anymore, but probably early next year.

Meaning some time before April?
      WisperG

mitsuki lover wrote:

Meaning some time before April?

Maybe? That’s a safe bet, but there’s no way to know until they actually announce a date. I’m just guessing here.

Well if it’s not on the list before then..
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      :Sauce:

Discotek Media announced on Friday that it has licensed Crusher Joe: The Movie and Crusher Joe: The OVA’s. The company plans to release the film in early 2017 on DVD. The company said it also plans to release the film on Blu-ray Disc “at some point in the future.” Discotek Media didn’t provide any information on the release of the OVA series, but said it would be a separate release from the film.

Both anime adapt Haruka Takachiho and Fujihiko Hosono’s manga. AnimEigo previously released both anime on DVD in 2003, and it describes the story:

Quote:

The galaxy is a strange and dangerous place, and there are times when even the United Space Force can’t help. That’s where the Crushers come in – skilled troubleshooters who will deal with any problem, large or small, for a fee (large only!) And there is no better Crusher than Crusher Joe!

IIRC weren’t The Dirty Pair spun off of Crusher Joe ?
      WisperG

mitsuki lover wrote:

IIRC weren’t The Dirty Pair spun off of Crusher Joe ?

Technically, yes. Both series are from the same author and are set in the same universe.

Thought so. Though it seems to me that Dirty Pair is more well known. I don’t think too many even seasoned otakus are aware of Crusher Joe. Then again from what I have read the Dark Horse comic book version of Dirty Pair

probably did a lot to popularize them.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Discotek Media announced on Facebook on Tuesday that it has licensed the Captain Harlock Endless Orbit SSX (Arcadia of My Youth: Endless Orbit SSX) television anime and plans to release it on DVD in North America this year.

The 22-episode anime premiered in 1982 as a sequel to the Arcadia of My Youth film that debuted earlier the same year. Harlock and his friends, now declared outlaws by the Illumidas-occupied Earth government, search for a paradise where all humanity can be free. Along the voyage, they discover that the Illumidas has occupied other planets in addition to Earth and must battle to put an end to their tyranny, and avoid being captured by the various people trying to hunt them down for reward money offered by the Earth government.

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzFO78ghMNw[/BBvideo]

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Waited for Kyousougiga, comes in a dvd/blu-ray, cost $60. wth2

Do prices go down or sales happen for discotek?

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Do prices go down or sales happen for discotek?

Sometimes.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Yay! BSRFTW

Quote:

Discotek Media announced on Friday that it has licensed the Psybuster (Cybuster) and Dancouga (Dancougar – Super Beast Machine God) anime. Both series will ship on DVD on July 25, alongside Discotek’s DVD releases of Midnight Eye Goku and Captain Harlock Endless Orbit SSX. The Psybuster DVD will have an English dub in addition to the Japanese language track.

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHf18Zh9_I[/BBvideo]

In 2040, the continuous pollution and the mysterious series of earthquakes left the city of Tokyo in ruins. A young man named Ken Ando is in training to become a member of DC, an army-like organization designed to investigate and protect the collapsing environment. Ken, with the support from his sister, Sayuri, gives his best to become a part of the elite group. But he receives the devastating news of being cut from the team because of his poor performances in the evaluation sessions.

When an ominous monster suddenly appears from the sky with a blinding flash and starts mowing down DC’s working robots with mysterious invisible forces. Ken, eager to show what he is truly made of, engages in a battle with the monster. Little does he realize his own fate and the fate of Earth itself may be linked to the mysterious Mech from another world.

[BBvideo]http://youtu.be/Iqi9oQ13kw0[/BBvideo]

Deep in outer space, the emperor Muge plots his next conquest – an out-of-the-way planet known as Earth. Mustering all the forces of his own personal Empire of Death, the Emperor is by far the most formidable foe humans have ever faced. And now he’s even more fearsome thanks to the defection of Shapiro Keats, a power-hungry Earthling reborn as an Empire informer.

Army after army crumbles in the face of an onslaught of the Empire’s seemingly indestructible robots. But now there’s a team that just might be able to stop them: an ace pilot named Shinobu, Sara (Shapiro’s one-time girlfriend) , and Ryo, a very unlikely young hero. Together, they’re in command of a new secret weapon developed in a laboratory hidden deep in a lake in Japan. Enter Dancougar, the Super Beast Machine God – and the battle’s just beginning!

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Discotek Media announced at its Otakon panel on Sunday that it has licensed Cyborg 009, Project ARMS, NieA_7, Tomorrow’s Joe (Ashita no Joe), Bananya, and Lupin III: The Legend of the Gold of Babylon.

iloveit1

Viewing 106 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.