Using Tenchi Muyo in the Classroom

Forums Fan Stuff Tenchi Projects Using Tenchi Muyo in the Classroom

• This topic is empty.
    So I’m an 8th Grade English Teacher and my class is about to read Tom Sawyer. If you have read Tom Sawyer, you know that he is an adventure craving boy who follows his own path and doesn’t let the rules dictate his life. I was trying to figure out a good way to introduce the novel and suddenly, it hit me.

“I’m a Pioneer.”

Seriously, the lyrics are a PERFECT character analysis for a character like Tom or Huck Finn. I printed out the lyrics and had the class do a close reading of the song and played this simple Youtube video I made for it which had the lyrics on the screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoEZ4ecHq2M

It worked great. The kids responded well to it and created a thoughtful response to the idea of BEING a “pioneer.” Now when we read the story, they are bringing back the text to the song and are calling the characters “pioneers.”

Just a short Tenchi related story to share.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Replies
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

drillmaster wrote:

So I’m an 8th Grade English Teacher and my class is about to read Tom Sawyer. If you have read Tom Sawyer, you know that he is an adventure craving boy who follows his own path and doesn’t let the rules dictate his life. I was trying to figure out a good way to introduce the novel and suddenly, it hit me.

“I’m a Pioneer.”

Seriously, the lyrics are a PERFECT character analysis for a character like Tom or Huck Finn. I printed out the lyrics and had the class do a close reading of the song and played this simple Youtube video I made for it which had the lyrics on the screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoEZ4ecHq2M

It worked great. The kids responded well to it and created a thoughtful response to the idea of BEING a “pioneer.” Now when we read the story, they are bringing back the text to the song and are calling the characters “pioneers.”

Just a short Tenchi related story to share.

soawesome1 This may be the most heartwarming real-life Tenchi-related story I’ve ever heard. Ever. I LOVE that song–inspirational, one of my favorite songs period, Tenchi/anime-related or otherwise–and hearing you used it as a learning tool that the kids seemed to respond to positively…I’m almost speechless. Just goes to show Tenchi was, and is, more than just something some folks chat about on the internet now and again. It was, and is (and as evidenced by your account, can be), special.

Thank you for sharing!

(BTW Mods: can we keep this under “Tenchi Projects”? Not exactly in the same vein as other posts here, but it’s literally a Tenchi project!)

drillmaster
      Wow, thank you wwwwhhhhoooo! blush1

It really is great that the kids found a way to connect to it. The class is great and always full of discussion. I was afraid the “90’s Pop” aspect might be too much for a few of them, but they all got into it a lot.

In fact, I was actually observed during that lesson by both the school’s Vice Principal AND our supervisor. Both were amazed at the class itself during that time and really enjoyed the song and everything that followed. But the best thing is that all of the 8th Grade English teachers are doing similar things, which means the other teachers are using “I’m a Pioneer!” to introduce the novel as well, so it is literally being shown to the entire 8th grade.

Who knows, maybe somebody will recognize it or have a desire to look up the show?

NinjaboyMMGN
      THIS!. WOW! Amazing, it is truly great to see or I guess read in this situation about something like this happening it’s awesome! soawesome1
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.