Voice Actor / Seiyuu Thread

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Voice Actor / Seiyuu Thread

• This topic is empty.
    No not you who, lol

I had created a thread like this on the old forum (probably a year ago now, lol) and Prime made a comment about who could replace Petrea Burchard

Obviously no one is as good as the originals, but lets face it, most of them are in there 50’s, 60,s hell Sherry Lynn is in her 70’s now (I know right Sasami, 70 years old)

So if you had to pick another voice actor (doesn’t necessarily have to be an anime voice actor but does have to be a voice actor of some kind) Who would you replace and why?

Since Petrea Burchard was mentioned in the OVA3 thread, lol For me I’d say either

Jean Smart or Mimi Woods

Jean Smart because she has Ryoko’s voice almost down pat normally, its a little more raspy, but with even a little conditioning, she’d be perfect

and Mimi Woods because she is actually an anime voice actor, and has the Ryoko attitude 150%, her voice is pretty close too, I think she’d be a great fit

Viewing 125 reply threads
  • Replies
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Dagon123 wrote:

No not you who, lol

:kermit: YAY! I’m not considered expendable!!!

I’ll have to give some consideration for Ryoko–we all know full well NO ONE could possibly replace Petrea–but let me see…I gotta’ listen to Jean Smart… to google!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=</YOUTUBE&gt;

*no idea what this show is, but anyways…

HOLY JUMPING CABBITS, if you start listening around 1:15 (don’t watch, just listen) especially 1:30 wow, Dagon, I completely agree with you on that one. I’ve heard Petrea just speaking normally a bit, & Jean here is speaking normally, they do sound very similar…just a tiny bit of brushing up on the character & getting accustomed to the role…she could definitely pull it off imo. (Sure wish you were in charge of casting for oav3, Dagon… 1) we’d still prob have Petrea, 2) if it just wasn’t meant-to-be, you could at least put in the effort to get a good replacement)

p.s. wow that is a real shock when you think about how much time has actually passed from when Tenchi lines were recorded to the present…Sherry Lynn is 70? Oh my where does the time go???

p.p.s. no one could replace you Petrea!!!

When she said “Maybe you are now, but you weren’t back then, twelve years ago,” in that raspy voice? Pitch aside, that totally came off like how an angry Ryoko might sound.

Also, Sherry Lynn…Wikipedia is frickin’ incompetent, because her entry on that site actually has her at 29. It’s as if whoever did the editing there was confusing her with another Sherry Lynn. I’d correct her birthdate on there right now, except I don’t know what it is.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Sherry Lynn is 70? Oh my where does the time go???

I have a hard time buying that. Mid-to-late 50’s, sure.

If that’s what seventy looks like… *low whistle* 😆
      Anonymous

Nobuyuki wrote:

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Sherry Lynn is 70? Oh my where does the time go???

I have a hard time buying that. Mid-to-late 50’s, sure.

According to Wikipedia,from 2009 up until recently, her birthdate was September 25, 1941, it has since changed to 1981

I’ve yet to see any date otherwise

but thats not the point of this thread so, speaking of Sasami

If I couldn’t find someone right away, I would do anything I could to get bubblebibbit, who is the person who does Sasami in TLF’s Tenchi Abridged, Near-Perfect Sasami.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Darn wikipedia, about as useful as a screendoor on a submarine sometimes…

Sherry Lynn being around late 50’s I can see, that’s about where alot of the rest of the cast is at (Petrea, Matt) though I don’t know anything about her, so I can’t really comment on that one…

What I can point out–not to be nit-picky–but as for VA’s for TLF:

Bubblebibbit is the voice of Washu in Tenchi abridged (I think she does a good job at it) :washu: I’m certain that’s the only main character she does. Sasami is…let me check…

Hmm, now they have it listed as one Toku Tensi, trying to remember who it was in their earlier days (they both sound almost dead on)… RenaKitty? I can’t remember, though I’ve definitely kept track of Raz, Bullidom, Bubblebibbit, & [attempted] to keep track of Ryoko’s VA changes.

Actually, come to think of it, maybe Sasami’s VA just had a username change somewhere down the line, that happens occassionally, but at any rate, not Bubblebibbit

EDIT: & since it already got up, I’d feel pretty good about using TLF’s VA’s for Mihoshi & Kiyone as replacements as well (which currently is also Toku Tensi)

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Julia Fletcher, who voiced Nagi (Tenchi Universe)and Mid from the “Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals” anime could probably pull off a good Yugi voice. (Yugi was voiced by Debi Derryberry.)
      I’m thinking Vic Mignogna – aka Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist, Yoshimori from Kekkaishi, and Ikkaku Madarame from Bleach, among others – could make a pretty good child Tenchi or Yosho. And if I wasn’t so addicted to Chuck Huber‘s Android 17 voice from Dragon Ball, I would probably be politicking for him to be Kagato right now.

Yeah, I guess I was feeling a little link heavy here.

Sorry for double posting, but it’s been enough days I figure it’s worth it.

I mentioned child Tenchi or Yosho. Now I’m thinking of current Tenchi. I had two ideas run through my mind. One was Aaron Dismuke, I was thinking he could fill that role (his voice is no longer an Alphonse, in fact it’s actually closer to the Abridged Tenchi voice these days, which would be pretty cool to see in the real deal – and, yeah, shamelessly, I’m kind of a mark for FMA). But then I had another thought. Mark Gatha, the voice of Domon Kasshu and Mega Man X. He would make a perfect Tenchi, and he’s not even in his forties. I’d like to think that if I had the money to get him back into voice acting, I’d throw it at him for this. But then again, I think he’s an orthopedic surgeon now. That does a lot more for paying the bills than typical voice acting does. I don’t think there’s any way I could get him onto this without breaking the bank of the project unless I had a super rich budget.

So, while I’m thinking about who could be Tenchi, among others, let’s bring us a cast from me, please, consisting completely of folks whose last work was seen in 2010 or ’09 at the earliest. [Some may be keeps from the original. They’ll have asterisks.]

Tenchi – Kirby Morrow (child form: Todd Haberkorn)

Katsuhito/Yosho – Greg Baldwin (Katsuhito), Richard CansinoWendy Powell

Nobuyuki – Steve Kramer

Ayeka – Janyse Jaud

Sasami – Sherry Lynn*

Ryo-Ohki – Debi Derryberry*

Mihoshi –Rebecca Forstadt*

Washu – Jennifer Hale

Kagato – Scott McNeil

Tsunami – Kelly Sheridan

Zero – Willow Johnson

Dr. Clay – Greg Eagles

Tokimi – Mary Elizabeth McGlynn

D3 – David Lodge

Z – Wally Wingert

Azusa – Dan Green

Funaho – Christine Auten

Misaki – Megan Hollingshead

Kiyone Makibi – Wendee Lee*

Nagi – Julia Fletcher*

Sakuya – Stephanie Sheh

Yugi – Jessica Straus

Hotsuma – Dan Woren

Tsugaru – Brian Donovan

Matori – Kate Higgins

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Primo.Lucani.17 wrote:

Sasami – Brina Palencia

Tsunami – Sherry Lynn*

I’d switch those around. Sherry’s voice is naturally higher; she stopped voicing Kiyone in favor of Wendee Lee because it was a strain. :geek:

Nobuyuki wrote:

Primo.Lucani.17 wrote:

Sasami – Brina Palencia

Tsunami – Sherry Lynn*

I’d switch those around. Sherry’s voice is naturally higher; she stopped voicing Kiyone in favor of Wendee Lee because it was a strain. :geek:

…wow. Now I feel like an idiot who just presumed that older means deeper. 😳

And in that case, Brina doesn’t really give off the sweet regal impression of a Tsunami. I’m not sure if she could pull it off.

So, with that being said…

Sasami – Sherry Lynn*

Tsunami – Kelly Sheridan

Anonymous
      I’m glad to see someone else made a list of characters ^_^ taking a quick look through of the list, here’s my thoughts

Yes / MAYBE

Ryoko – Wendy Powell

Tenchi – Kirby Morrow

Ayeka – Janyse Jaud

Hotsuma – Dan Woren

NO

Kagato – Scott McNeil

(Ryoko) (child form: Mona Marshall)

Azusa – Dan Green

(Yosho) (child form: Vic Mignogna)

And heres why, I’ll explain the No’s first (these are my opinions on them, and why for, no need for anybody to bust a gasket, lol)

Kagato – I’ll be honest, I love Scott McNiel to death, he’s one of the few actors at Ocean who imho, far exceeds the expectations one has when you hear that Ocean has dubbed a show, lol that being said, no part of his entourage of voices fit Kagato, they just don’t, his villian one is too whiny, too “I’m a pawn, not a shepherd” and his deep voice is too Piccolo (He was the first AND ONLY Piccolo to me, I can’t not hear it) not to mention, him, like Mona and a few other VA’s, has such a signature affliction to his voice, its REALLY hard not to say “Oh look its Scott McNiel doing Kagato” not “Kagato done by Scott McNiel”

Ryoko child – No, I’m sorry, I see where you were going with it, but the nasily “I will forever be a 13 year old boy voice” fits Aeka’s visage of Ryoko more then it does anyone elses, lol not to mention, like I mentioned above and will mention multiple times throughout this post because its the sole reason most of the NO’s don’t work, lol Mona’s voice is very distinctive, and will more then likely give people flashbacks to her rendition of OVA3, which, lest we forget, had less then a standing ovation.

Azusa – honestly, not a terrible choice, Dan Green has a really commanding voice, that being said, I speak for anyone and everyone who hears this that I will half expect Azusa to look down at his millennium item and go “YU-GI-OH” afterwords, when he gets ready to DUEL Tenchi, lol

Yosho Child – “Come on Alphonse were gonna be late”, YUP lol Vic’s voice has the opposite problem of Dan Greens, if Vic trys to play an older character, he can get away with his voice not being the elephant in the room, just like if Dan Green plays a younger voice, he can hide it pretty well, but when Vic plays anything related to a young kid or Teenager, you might as well put “Fullmetal” in front of them and call it a day.

Again, not bad choices per say, but it really does take away from the group when you feel more like your watching the anime for the VA’s then the actual on-screen characters, now onto the Yes / Maybe’s

Tenchi – Tenchi’s choice, using the only frame of reference I know from being Miroku from Inuyasha, I would give a maybe, he would pass if you were to replace Masami Kikuchi, but as for replacing Matt Miller? honestly, I’d give him a C, C+ if he tried. Tenchi’s english dub voice is that of a not deep, middle toned, almost clueless teenage boy, and really replacing anyone from the old cast I seriously deem impossible to replicate, Pioneer dubbed with an almost magical ability (or that of common sense, which seems to be a goddamn superpower these days, lol) either way, I think there are better choices, but given the circumstance, if he tried really hard to make his voice “goofier” without losing the sincerity and going full comic relief character, he could pull it off

Ryoko – oo baby, Ryoko’s voice is that of well, perfection, not so much in the voice itself, but in the character, Petrea Burchard didn’t just act as Ryoko, it literally felt like every facet of Petrea came out in Ryoko, so much that it makes Ryoko feel “human”, and that is why she has been forever immortalized by so many. That being said, Wendy Powell has the voice, but again using the frame of reference I know, being that of Sister Paula from Trinity Blood, I just don’t see the fire, I don’t hear the personality, the chops are there, the tone is there, but the soul, the presentation, there’s just no fire. I’d love to throw in Jean Smart again (because I’ll be honest, I do not think there is a better choice, I’ve yet to hear it) BUT looking at FUNimation, I can suggest one I think would do better and that is also from Trinity Blood being Carrie Savage, who played Astharoshe Asran. If you’re going to get anyone to play Ryoko, get someone who can absolutely NAIL that personality (and not sound like Izzy from Digimon), if you can do that, you’ve got alot less to worry about.

Aeka – Despite the fact that I am vehemently a Ryoko fan, that does not mean I won’t suffer like everyone else if Aeka (or anyone of the girls for that matter) fails to make the right entrance and impression, that being said, I think Aeka’s is more doable then the last 2 I mentioned. It looks like Ms. Janyse has a wide range, thats good, but Aeka has a very nobilic voice (Not Australian, despite what GXP episode 17 says ^_-), if Janyse could get a little more dignified, prissy even, in her voice I think she could nail it.

Hotsuma – oo another actor who I absolutely love, have been a Dan Woren fan for years, literally, the perfect maniachal bad guy. As Hotsuma, he could totally pull it off, however, we will more then likely never see Hotsuma re-dubbed, that being said, I think Dan Woren as Kagato (I’ll have to look back I think I may have used him as Kagato before) would be the perfect replacement for Tristan MacAvery, Put Dan Woren’s performance from Armitage as DanClaude on top of Kagato attacking the Tenchi cast, oh man, shivers, oh yea, he’s Kagato, lol

I know its a long post, but there was no other way to get it across, lol

For Washuu
      Participant
      none

Primo.Lucani.17 wrote:

Sasami – Brina Palencia

Tsunami – Sherry Lynn

Now, hold on just a cotton-pickin’ minute. If you’re going to let Sherry Lynn come back as Tsunami, then you ought to have her voice Sasami. (Even if she does voice something like five thousand other young female characters out there.)

Yeah… if you’re going to have her come back at all, she should voice Sasami, or not even be there.

For Washuu wrote:

Primo.Lucani.17 wrote:

Sasami – Brina Palencia

Tsunami – Sherry Lynn

Now, hold on just a cotton-pickin’ minute. If you’re going to let Sherry Lynn come back as Tsunami, then you ought to have her voice Sasami. (Even if she does voice something like five thousand other young female characters out there.)

Yeah… if you’re going to have her come back at all, she should voice Sasami, or not even be there.

Hold on a minute indeed, dude, I already got called on this one:

Primo.Lucani.17 wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

Primo.Lucani.17 wrote:

Sasami – Brina Palencia

Tsunami – Sherry Lynn*

…wow. Now I feel like an idiot who just presumed that older means deeper. 😳

And in that case, Brina doesn’t really give off the sweet regal impression of a Tsunami. I’m not sure if she could pull it off.

So, with that being said…

Sasami – Sherry Lynn*

Tsunami – Kelly Sheridan

So, yeah. It’s cleared up already. I should probably go back and edit the original post, though…

Dagon123 wrote:

Ryoko child – No, I’m sorry, I see where you were going with it, but the nasily “I will forever be a 13 year old boy voice” fits Aeka’s visage of Ryoko more then it does anyone elses, lol not to mention, like I mentioned above and will mention multiple times throughout this post because its the sole reason most of the NO’s don’t work, lol Mona’s voice is very distinctive, and will more then likely give people flashbacks to her rendition of OVA3, which, lest we forget, had less then a standing ovation.

Well, considering Ayeka’s visage of Ryoko is pretty much responsible for half the child version Universe “flashback” scenes, the influence in that direction wasn’t entirely blindfolded. Although, this is probably a pointless hire anyway even without the OVA 3-based backlash, considering what Envy has shown me Wendy Powell (my choice for current Ryoko) is capable of, not to mention she’s experienced voicing children too…

Dagon123 wrote:

Tenchi – Tenchi’s choice, using the only frame of reference I know from being Miroku from Inuyasha, I would give a maybe, he would pass if you were to replace Masami Kikuchi, but as for replacing Matt Miller? honestly, I’d give him a C, C+ if he tried. Tenchi’s english dub voice is that of a not deep, middle toned, almost clueless teenage boy, and really replacing anyone from the old cast I seriously deem impossible to replicate, Pioneer dubbed with an almost magical ability (or that of common sense, which seems to be a goddamn superpower these days, lol) either way, I think there are better choices, but given the circumstance, if he tried really hard to make his voice “goofier” without losing the sincerity and going full comic relief character, he could pull it off

The following video will bring you closer to being sold on both Kirby and my choice of Kelly Sheridan for Tsunami:

Dagon123 wrote:

Ryoko – oo baby, Ryoko’s voice is that of well, perfection, not so much in the voice itself, but in the character, Petrea Burchard didn’t just act as Ryoko, it literally felt like every facet of Petrea came out in Ryoko, so much that it makes Ryoko feel “human”, and that is why she has been forever immortalized by so many. That being said, Wendy Powell has the voice, but again using the frame of reference I know, being that of Sister Paula from Trinity Blood, I just don’t see the fire, I don’t hear the personality, the chops are there, the tone is there, but the soul, the presentation, there’s just no fire. I’d love to throw in Jean Smart again (because I’ll be honest, I do not think there is a better choice, I’ve yet to hear it) BUT looking at FUNimation, I can suggest one I think would do better and that is also from Trinity Blood being Carrie Savage, who played Astharoshe Asran. If you’re going to get anyone to play Ryoko, get someone who can absolutely NAIL that personality (and not sound like Izzy from Digimon), if you can do that, you’ve got alot less to worry about.

Back to Wendy for just a second, or maybe I should be saying for a longer stay this time. Ironically, it was the exact opposite issue of it for me. The frame of reference I first became familiar with Wendy through was actually Envy, which is not exactly a Ryoko-like voice in terms of the seductive tone. It’s distant enough from Ryoko that she wouldn’t repeat the same voice, but close enough that I noticed some of what it would take to successfully play a Ryoko in the bass and emotion she often displayed in the appropriate scenes. If I’m gathering this correctly, if she can combine our two references and give us something like a Sister Paula (which I would venture to say is closer to her real voice) with the same energy that she used for Envy, then she should be fine.

Dagon123 wrote:

Aeka – Despite the fact that I am vehemently a Ryoko fan, that does not mean I won’t suffer like everyone else if Aeka (or anyone of the girls for that matter) fails to make the right entrance and impression, that being said, I think Aeka’s is more doable then the last 2 I mentioned. It looks like Ms. Janyse has a wide range, thats good, but Aeka has a very nobilic voice (Not Australian, despite what GXP episode 17 says ^_-), if Janyse could get a little more dignified, prissy even, in her voice I think she could nail it.

If I’m correct, she also voiced Sarah from Ed, Edd n Eddy. So I like her chances at being able to do dignified, prissy, and catty.

I’ll be getting to the others a bit later, but these are the ones I could reply about offhand at the moment.

Jabberwocky
      I know replacements are inevitable, but I prefer to remain in denial and pretend that all of the voices will remain the same :P
      Kiyoka
      (please make sticky!)

Hey guys, thought I’d make a thread about ways to get into contact with the lovely VA of Tenchi!

I will update my post with different people’s ways of getting in contact.

Primary voice actors

Petrea Burchard: http://www.facebook.com/petreaburchard

http://twitter.com/PetreaBurchard

pb@petreaburchard.com

Sherry Lynn: http://www.sherrylynnvoiceover.com/ (this is recent, she opened this up in September 2011)

Matt K. Miller: http://twitter.com/millermattk

Jennifer Darling: http://www.jenniferdarling.com/index.htm (atm it seems the only way to contact her is posting a letter)

Ellen Gerstell: http://www.facebook.com/ellen.gerstell

K.T. Vogt: http://www.fanmail.biz/10851.html

Secondary voice actors (ones who took over roles)

Wendee Lee: http://www.wendeelee.com/

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      K T! K T! K T! K T!
      I was able friend Petrea on FB awhile back.I just recently got up the nerve to ask for an autograph though..lol

Anyone know who KT’s agent was ? That might help find her. I have a Washu-loving friend that would love to get an autograph from her.

For Washuu
      Participant
      none

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:

Anyone know who KT’s agent was ? That might help find her. I have a Washu-loving friend that would love to get an autograph from her.

I second that! :D

There looks to be VERY little info on her online anywhere. I guess Funimation would have her on file..maybe shoot them an email and ask for agent contact info. It would be a pretty complicated process..but worth it.

I recently mailed some pieces to Petrea’s agency to get signed…little difficult but it will be worth it to me. I just get to cons myself.

jgzinv
      *yawn* Took me like 5 minutes guys…

Fan Mail Address:

K.T. Vogt

Aka Talent Agency

6310 San Vicente Blvd.

Suite 200

Los Angeles, CA 90048

USA

Aka Talent Agency

6310 San Vicente Blvd.

Suite 200

Los Angeles, CA 90048

USA

Phone: (323) 965-5600

Fax: (323) 965-5601

http://www.akatalent.com/

aka@akatalent.com

Unsolicited emails will not be returned.

The agents at AKA are Mike Abrams, Doug Ely and Pamela Porter .

Our assistants are David Stiewe and Leslie Sims. (there’s about 6 others as well)

JGZinv wrote:

*yawn* Took me like 5 minutes guys…

Fan Mail Address:

K.T. Vogt

Aka Talent Agency

6310 San Vicente Blvd.

Suite 200

Los Angeles, CA 90048

USA

Aka Talent Agency

6310 San Vicente Blvd.

Suite 200

Los Angeles, CA 90048

USA

Phone: (323) 965-5600

Fax: (323) 965-5601

http://www.akatalent.com/

aka@akatalent.com

Unsolicited emails will not be returned.

The agents at AKA are Mike Abrams, Doug Ely and Pamela Porter .

Our assistants are David Stiewe and Leslie Sims. (there’s about 6 others as well)

Well I’ll be darned. Good job ! That was relativity easy..I swear my friend has looked forever for info and not turned up a thing. Now to contact them…email is un-likely to work. Is the address current ? Just want to make sure..I suppose a letter sent to the fan mail section might have a shot.

Kiyami
      Participant
      none
      We just need Ellen, then.
      jgzinv
      http://www.facebook.com/ellen.gerstell

*yawn again*

She also appears to run some kind of educational facility I think in California.

Didn’t look into that much though. Also if you run a background check, you could probably

get her full address.

Kiyami
      Participant
      none
      At first I didn’t believe that was her Facebook… and then I saw this status…

“Ellen is now friends with Sherry Lynn and 4 other people.”

:plank:

Facebook… that odd place where your 10th grade art teacher is friends with someone who is friends with Sherry Lynn.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Mittens wrote:

Facebook… that odd place where your 10th grade art teacher is friends with someone who is friends with Sherry Lynn.

So how many steps to Kevin Bacon? ;)

6 aren’t there normally?

What about those of us who don’t have Facebook?

mitsuki lover wrote:

6 aren’t there normally?

I would advise getting a FB account. It’s really easy once you start and is a great way to find people and make connections you otherwise couldn’t…wow just realized I sounded like a poster-boy for the company..lol

Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

We get to live normal, happy lives. :P

Aside from being totally wishing that we could have alien space princesses crash into our houses you mean? 😆

mitsuki lover wrote:

Aside from being totally wishing that we could have alien space princesses crash into our houses you mean? 😆

Yeah that…exactly. 😆

I talked to Petrea the other day, my package from her should be coming any day now. I sent her some Ryoko prints to sign for me, can’t wait to get them displayed ! :D

Sounds cool.

One of my prize possession is an autograph pic. of Jennifer Lien who played Kes on Voyager.Too bad it’s not in

color though.(Kes was my favorite Voyager character.)So I know how you feel.

mitsuki lover wrote:

Sounds cool.

One of my prize possession is an autograph pic. of Jennifer Lien who played Kes on Voyager.Too bad it’s not in

color though.(Kes was my favorite Voyager character.)So I know how you feel.

At least it’s something though right ? My mom was a huge Star trek / Star Wars fan..I remember her taking us to some local cons when we were little to get autographs. It’s a great way to have proof you have actually met or know someone you admire. It’s as close as many of us will ever get to actually meeting our favorite characters too.

I posted pics of mine in the ” show off your anime collection thread if anyone wants to see them ! :D

Not been to a con ever in my life.I have a friend in Georgia that goes to Dragoncon all the time.She’s a cosplayer.

mitsuki lover wrote:

Not been to a con ever in my life.I have a friend in Georgia that goes to Dragoncon all the time.She’s a cosplayer.

Other then when I was pretty young I haven’t been to any myself…just no real time or money to so. It’s a shame becasue they look like a lot of fun .

Yeah,though I think some of the people that go there might be a bit scary.I mean the fans and not the celebs.

mitsuki lover wrote:

Yeah,though I think some of the people that go there might be a bit scary.I mean the fans and not the celebs.

From some images I’ve seen..I would have to agree. 😯

Two words:Man Faye…. :ghost:

And please let us not go there…The very thought of anyone over 200 pounds dressing up as a female anime character

scares me.

For Washuu
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

The very thought of anyone over 200 pounds dressing up as a female anime character scares me.

Unless the character is Aun’s older sister from “Photon”. That would almost be fitting.

Actually, well… I guess…

Naw. Forget it.

No sumo “girls”, please. >_<

Kiyami
      Participant
      none
      Let us not forget Sailor Bubba either…

http://wikimoon.org/images/sailorbubba.jpg" />

I enjoy conventions, there’s always going to be some strange/creepy/smelly/all of the above people there, but they’re outnumbered easily enough and there’s a lot of fun to be had.
      Kiyami
      Participant
      none
      I would recommend going to a smaller convention first, then if you enjoy that experience, move on to one of the bigger. Find friends to go with, that way you can split hotel costs and whathaveyou… and you would have people to hang out with at the con when you want to. No matter where you are, not necessarily conventions but it seems to draw in a bit more, you’ll have some… different characters so just like anywhere else, use common sense. Half of the people cosplaying do it just to have fun. If you don’t like their cosplay/physical appearance then you don’t have to pay attention to it. Live and let live, and so forth. If the person in front of you in a queue or at a panel smells, you can move. If someone is seriously creeping on you, avoid them or even talk to the event staff. That is what they’re there for.

Go to a UK convention. They’re much smaller, everyone at the con is usually 18+ and the people are very chill and friendly.

For Washuu
      Participant
      none

Mittens wrote:

Let us not forget Sailor Bubba either…

http://wikimoon.org/images/sailorbubba.jpg" />

:Ryokoface: :ghost:

jgzinv
      Meh not as disturbing as having man-faye within 10ft of you, or a troop of fat, unshaven guys only in their whitie tighties

with yatta in sharpie across the back, running around Anime Expo…..

For Washuu
      Participant
      none

Little Washu wrote:

JGZinv wrote:

Meh not as disturbing as having man-faye within 10ft of you, or a troop of fat, unshaven guys only in their whitie tighties

with yatta in sharpie across the back, running around Anime Expo…..

:Uhwaht: :Ryokoface: …… :arnold:

…………………………….WORD.

jgzinv
      Yeah AX was being promoted as a family friendly con then and quite a few people were irate about that in the “talk to the staff” panel…
      crazypackersfan
      Participant
      I was able to get Petrea Burchard to do a short video for a panel that I’m doing at a convention in Pittsburgh… it would be sweeter to actually get her out here somewhere in the east.

crazypackersfan wrote:

I was able to get Petrea Burchard to do a short video for a panel that I’m doing at a convention in Pittsburgh… it would be sweeter to actually get her out here somewhere in the east.

That sounds cool..any chance of seeing it after the panel ?

crazypackersfan
      Participant

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:

That sounds cool..any chance of seeing it after the panel ?

Sure… it’s not very much, it lasts about 20 seconds.

jgzinv
      Ohio or Acen would be good… or TN…
      I just wish more people lived out here in the Spokane area.(I don’t drive btw.)
      crazypackersfan
      Participant
      By the way, I forgot to post the little video that Petrea Burchard did for my panel. Here it is:

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      OHhhh, man! Thanks for posting the video. I seriously could not stop laughing!
      Even without sound that was interesting.I noticed she did a lot of gesturing.
      hey Inv think you can work your magic and find Michal Scott?

Kagato is still my favorite villan!!!

After General Grevious of course…………

what a monster…

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Michal Scott?

You mean Michael Scott Ryan?

Kiyoka
      I would love to get in contact with Kagato’s VA. He did KAIN too, my favourite villain. I haven;t found a way yet :(
      Have you checked ANN?Usually they have the VAs/Seiyuus official websites listed in their filmography.
      Lighthawk93
      We should try and see if we can get the main cast to do some of the podcasts with us. That would definatley be awsome.
      Kiyoka

Lighthawk93 wrote:

We should try and see if we can get the main cast to do some of the podcasts with us. That would definatley be awsome.

I dunno if they would agree to that. But hey, just remember if you get Sherry Lynn in I’ll be such a fangirl chinaaruplz

Lighthawk93
      Maybey, but it is worth a shot. It would be interesting to hear thrir stories, would it not? They might even to able to answer certain questions that we still don”t have the answers to.
      For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Come to think of it, what the heck has K. T. Vogt been up to for the last half a decade??
      Anonymous

For Washuu wrote:

Come to think of it, what the heck has K. T. Vogt been up to for the last half a decade??

Probably working on a multitude of things, that was always the beauty of Tenchi’s dub cast (and many Pioneer works) was the voice actors often times weren’t ONLY voice actors.

Just an example (although not a Pioneer Dub) Zan (who played Aisha Clan Clan in Outlaw Star) Now works in the tourism department for the government of Australia. Can you imagine going to Australia and hearing or watching a video and her greeting you? omgtearsplz

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Lighthawk93 wrote:

Maybey, but it is worth a shot. It would be interesting to hear thrir stories, would it not? They might even to able to answer certain questions that we still don”t have the answers to.

Have to agree with you there. All of their stories would be fascinating to listen to. Were it not for the fact that Petrea literally just did an interview for an anime website only months ago (http://tenchiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=257” class=”bbcode_url”>http://tenchiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=257) I would probably go about inviting her to do an official TenchiForum interview

not to say that can’t happen/be attempted at some point in the future, but I figured wait a bit since she just did this interview, and right around the same time she’s really been getting back into Tenchi fandom and getting in touch with fans (she’s been getting con guest requests left and right, and recently attended PMX convention) so she’s been busy.

As far as the rest of the cast, I’m not really acquainted with any of them, so idk what they’ve really been up to* but who knows! TenchiForum today is more than I would have imagined a couple years ago, so…we’ll see 😉

*I guess on the note of Tenchi cast members doing other stuff other than voice over, I do know Matt K. Miller has been doing live-performance theatre as of late, and Petrea has really taken to writing (short stories, blogging) and is currently working on a novel.

Lighthawk93
      it would be worth the wait, would it not?
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I know it’s been a while for this thread, but I juuust watched Gran Torino again, and if no one has suggested previously… the kid that played Thao, ‘Bee Vang’ I thought he’d make an excellent Tenchi (before he gets too much older)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3057402/” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3057402/

Thorn
      I honestly have not a clue who could replace who and really do a great job. I imagine the same could be said of all of us. That said, here’s a list of who I’d like to see in these roles.

Kagato- Chuck Huber

Ryoko- Jean Smart

Yosho- J. Michael Tatum

Young Ryoko- Brina Palencia/Leah Clark

Sasami: Brina Palencia

Kiyone: Monica Rial

Ayeka: Colleen Clinkenbeard

and not a clue for the rest of the cast.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

I know it’s been a while for this thread, but I juuust watched Gran Torino again, and if no one has suggested previously… the kid that played Thao, ‘Bee Vang’ I thought he’d make an excellent Tenchi (before he gets too much older)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3057402/” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3057402/

I didn’t think of looking outside of professionally established voice actors, LOL.

Thorn
      ^ Then again, Petrea Burchard wasn’t a professionally established VA. :Tenchismile:
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

SilverWhisper wrote:

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

I didn’t think of looking outside of professionally established voice actors, LOL.

Thorn wrote:

^ Then again, Petrea Burchard wasn’t a professionally established VA. :Tenchismile:

Both very valid points, but now that I read your post Silver (& subsequently re-read mine) I’m slapping myself right now, I seem to have mixed this thread up with a similar thread in which we discussed possibilities for hypothetically if ever there were an attempt at a live-action Tenchi Muyo! movie, who would be cast as whom…so, whoops, I mean I think he’d be good Tenchi as a live-action actor, not V.A. per say

tongueblush

Thorn wrote:

She wasn’t an established actor either.

Thorn
      That she wasn’t, but she did at least have a few film & stage credits prior to Tenchi.
      My one and only pick would be Michelle Ruff as Aeka.
      Thorn
      And I can’t believe no one’s said this yet, but, no one could possibly replace Wwhhhoooo! :Cheeks:
      I didn’t know we were trying to.
      For Washuu
      Participant
      none

Thorn wrote:

And I can’t believe no one’s said this yet, but, no one could possibly replace Wwhhhoooo! :Cheeks:

(the sound of the internet face-palming)

Thorn
      ^ Ooh, an internet facepalm…my biggest internet achievement! I mean…aside from the large post counts acquired in short amounts of time.
      Where’s the Picard gif when you need it? 😆
      Thorn
      I already posted it in another thread, but here it is!

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/picard-facepalm.jpg" />

I wonder if there’s one of him as Locutus doing it.I’d love to see a Locutus palm face. 😆

“We are the Borg…resistance is futile…you’re post will be palm faced!”

Kiyoka

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

*I guess on the note of Tenchi cast members doing other stuff other than voice over, I do know Matt K. Miller has been doing live-performance theatre as of late, and Petrea has really taken to writing (short stories, blogging) and is currently working on a novel.

I showed Petrea some of my writting :Cheeks:

Lighthawk93
      Lucky!
      And what did she think?
      jgzinv
      Found some old seiyuu pics from 96.. copy em while they’re… well they ain’t hot or fresh so um…

just be careful then… and take pepto.

http://seiyuu.com/okamoto/anime/ax96/TenchiSeiyuu/tenchi.htm

Very nice Zinv where did you find them?
      Kiyoka

Quote:

And what did she think?

Oh gosh lemme find the email!

Quote:

I’m not an editor or a critic, but it looks to me like you’ve got a flair for good imagery in your work. I think your idea of choosing a theme and running with it is a great exercise. It helps you flex your writing muscles.

I wish you a lot of luck and fun with your writing.

She like :Cheeks:

jgzinv
      At the link…. :Cheeks:
      Lighthawk93
      ^High five to you
      🙄
      Ballsmagee01
      guess who got to show Petrea their artwork and amv’s :Cheeks:
      But if everyone keeps showing Petrea our stuff she’ll think we’re her unofficial fan club! 😆
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

But if everyone keeps showing Petrea our stuff she’ll think we’re her unofficial fan club! 😆

And the problem with this is? :Cheeks:

But seriously, I like to think that we here value all of the amazing VA’s equally. After all, without any one of their awesome work the final product would not have been as good. Ms. Burchard’s performance is obviously one of the more beloved ones, but I know for a fact that there has been contact, or at least attempted contact, with most of the other VA’s. I think that it reflects extremely well on us as a community that so many of our members have been moved enough to share their appreciation with the VA’s themselves.

Keep it up :sign: ! You guys rock!

Chuck you know I was joking. 😆

Actually this should be the Unofficial Yokoyama Chisa Fan Club really! 😆 😆 😆

Seriously though,yeah Tenchi is one of those anime that has an amazing cast on both sides of the

Pacific Pond.

Anonymous
      RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

So over the weekend while at Ohayocon waiting in line for the “Religion in Anime” panel, I inadvertently stumbled across a fandubbed movie (everyone in line had to go to another room because the line was getting to large for the hallway, so a big chunk of us were told to go to a room with this playing in it).

http://www.daizex.com/misc_stuff/fanboysoze_1.jpg" />

Now aside from the fact it is VERY, VERY good, the person who played Tetsuo (He wasn’t “Tetsuo” by name in the movie, but yea you know what I mean) There were multiple times throughout where I just said to myself “Wow, that sounds JUST like Matt Miller”

Ummm….I suppose you meant to show a picture but all I see is the word image.
      Through BehindTheVoiceActors, I recently sent a friend request to Ellen Gerstell (the original Mihoshi), and to my surprise, she accepted! I guess it is possible to get in touch with her.

https://www.facebook.com/ellen.gerstell?ref=ts&fref=ts

I also sent one to Sherry Lynn, but she has yet to respond. (EDIT: She did accept!)

The second Mihoshi, Rebecca Forstadt, is also really easy to get in contact with if you do it through her website. I did a pretty lengthy interview with her for my senior project (though more about the business of acting, not much about anime) http://www.rebeccaforstadt.com

Wendee Lee’s pretty easy to get in touch with. She actually does respond to her fanmail through her website: http://www.wendeelee.com/

Other than that, I’m also Facebook friends with Petrea Burchard, who’s really awesome to her fans.

I’d LOVE to get in contact with Jennifer Darling and Kate T Vogt, both of which seemed to have disappeared off the face of the planet.

I was unaware that Wendee Lee was in the Tenchi dub.Then again I am more into the subs these days.

That said I really think Ms.Lee is one of the best American VAs around.Before getting into the subs I enjoyed her work in such shows as Dual,Cowboy Bebop and Megas XLR where she played Future Girl.

One of the last anime I watched dubbed was Fushigi Yugi where she played Yui. 😎

There’s also an interview with her on volume 2 of Magic Knights Rayearth(the old Anime Works version).

She played Umi in that one and talks about the expierence.Though the problem I had was the audio was

too low or something.

I wonder if they ever did the same sort of thing for Tenchi.It would be nice to hear her views of whichever character she played on Tenchi as well.

Wendee Lee was Kiyone in Tenchi in Tokyo and the latter two movies. She was also Tenchi’s mother (so…er…Kiyone again!) in OVA3.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

charliepanayi wrote:

She was also Tenchi’s mother (so…er…Kiyone again!) in OVA3.

Not to mention Kagato-chan. 😉

Waaiit a minute… did Kiyone even have a speaking part on OVA 3? :?

:later: Oh, there it is. 😳 (not much to talk about though, just some grunting and gasping)

Yeah,I was going to guess Kiyone. bth_kiyonespritegif.

It’s the type of character she would play.Though I think Mihoshi would also be another good guess

since she also played Rushuna in Grenadier.

On a side note, I saw Wreck-It Ralph today and Debi Derryberry was in the list of Additional Voices during the credits.
      devilbecka
      There is no way in hell im i going through matt millers thrash! :Cheeks: as much as i would like too
      Does anyone here know any way of contacting Jack Fletcher (Tenchi voice director from 1994-1997)? I’m having trouble crediting some Tenchi Universe voice actors on BehindTheVoiceActors (such as Amarube, Sagami, Tessei, Tetta, a few others). The credits are no help at all since they just give a generic list of the main voice actors (Julia DeMita, Michael Sorich, Michael Scott Ryan, John DeMita, and others were never credited, despite being key cast members). I sent Debi Derryberry an email about Amarube, since there’s a good sporting chance she might know (since she voiced his partner Yura), but she had no clue (though she believed it might have been Sherry Lynn, which of course isn’t right). Voice directors are ALWAYS the ones to talk to when confirming roles.

Anyway, if anyone has ANY info at all, that would be AWESOME.

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Bah. I still can’t find anything for K. T. Vogt other than she’s now in the Oregon Shakespeare Festival troupe as someone doing something.

I’m really going to have to track her down when I’ve got my anime is needing voices.

According to ANN she was also in the following anime:

1.Dragon Slayer

2.Final Fantasy:Legend of the Crystals

3.Psycho Diver

4.Princess Mononoke

5.Pet Shop of Horrors

Unfortunately it didn’t list any non-anime roles she may have had.She’s listed as Kate T. Vogt there.Also

unfortunately no link to any official page either. 😡

Anonymous
      Just figured I would post this here but, PeanutButterGamer, the big youtuber would be one of my first choices for Doctor Sanada (or any Kirk Thorton role for that matter) if an abridged series ever came up.
      soawesome1

Looking at Yokoyama Chisa I suddenly thought of Shinguji Sakura from Sakura Wars and not Sasami for some reason.

😆

And how old was Ryoohki’s seiyuu in that photo? She looks like she’s just a kid.

Anonymous
      We had talked about this awhile ago but, because Jay Hopper is MIA and Bob Pappenbrook is no longer with us, Katsuhito and Nobuyuki will have to get redubbed, and my first thought was a great Funimation replacement would be the narrator for Space Dandy

R. Bruce Elliot

Soul
      Participant
      Hmm, R. Bruce Elliot is a good pick, if say Ai: Tenchi Muyo was dubbed at FUNimation’s in-house studio itself, but given the number of LA based actors in the series, I’d assume they’d have an LA studio once again dub the show with said classic characters.
      Do we know if they’re actually going to try to get the same VAs? Just saying there are a lot of ‘IFs’ here before we even think of the dubbing.
      Soul
      Participant
      Oh of course not, we don’t even know if FUNimation will get Ai, it’s just assumed.

The biggest issue is the fact the seiyuus for Ai haven’t been announced yet, and going by what FUNimation did with Ghost in the Shell: ARISE in which, the Japanese cast is complete different from the previous casts and that’s FUNimation’s defense for the reason it has a different English cast than the previous ones as well, i.e. “The Japanese cast is different too!”

So…Ai’s seiyuu cast is what I’m curious about the most at the moment.

Yes,I agree that it would be important to know who the Japanese cast in the original version first before we go all out to speculate about the North American cast.It would be fun to have Orikasa Ai back as Ryoko again. soawesome1 soawesome1

Though they might do a Sailor Moon and have an all new cast with the exception of one or two.

As regards to Funi as I noted in the 20th Anniversary thread:we don’t even know if they would get the license,

it’s all speculation based on the fact that they have the rights to the rest of the franchise.

That said Orikasa Ai and Petrea Burchard are probably the two that we all hope get a chance to return.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      [BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8[/BBvideo]

ANN wrote:

Chisa Yokoyama, the 44-year-old lead voice actress in Sakura Wars and other anime, reported on her blog on Monday that she gave birth to her first child. She did not specify on her blog whether the baby is a boy or a girl, but Yokoyama’s friend Ai Orikasa congratulated her on Twitter for her baby girl.

Yokoyama said her water broke the night before and she was in labor until morning. At noon, the doctors told her that the baby’s heartbeat was fading, and they had to perform Caesarean section. The baby was born healthy, and Yokoyama posted a photo [go to ANN- N.].

Yokoyama announced her pregnancy in April, saying that she was worried because her pregnancy last year ended in a miscarriage.

Yokoyama married Chaka, the bassist of the rock band Tripolysm, in 2009. She is best known for voicing the lead character Sakura Shinguji in the Sakura Wars game and anime franchise. She also voiced Sasami in the Tenchi Muyo! franchise, Yuna Kagurazaka in Galaxy Fraulein Yuna, and more recently, Biscuit Krueger in the ongoing Hunter × Hunter anime.

Wait,she’s 44! that’s really getting up there to be a first time mother.Though a hearty congrats to our beloved

Sakura and Sasami for her little bundle of joy. iloveit1

Sorry to hear that the first one resulted in a miscarriage,but glad to see her new daughter is doing well.

I always love Sakura’s relationship with Iris in Sakura Wars,it’s very sweet and tender.I always imagine that’s the way that Yokoyama Chisa would be in real life as a mother.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Ryoko: jean smart,Wendy Powell,Mini Woods

Ayeka: Janyse Jaud, Colleen Clinkenbeard,Michelle Ruff,

Tenchi: Kirby Morrow

Mihoshi: Rebecca Forshtadt,Ellen Gerstell

Washu: Jennifer Hale

Sasami: Brina Palencia

The majority of what people have chosen to replace the original cast, I did not like Ai Orikasa in OVA 3 or GXP. She would be perfect doing the voice for a child Ryoko, but not adult.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      There is something I may have come up with for selecting voice talents. The obvious experienced and well known VA’s would be chosen first, but previous experience and/or time in vocational occupation/class are also valid criteria. Petrea Buchard mentioned in a podcast that she took a Shakespeare class and felt that it help her with voice work. Steve Downes the voice of master chief in the halo series is a radio host in Chicago. While the best voice talents are highly sought for, failing those, a search for voices outside of anime, games, and animated movies would have to be strongly considered. A look in other pools of voices could yield unexpected finds in talents.

Though this is just my opinion.

Anonymous

Ukinojo92 wrote:

There is something I may have come up with for selecting voice talents. The obvious experienced and well known VA’s would be chosen first, but previous experience and/or time in vocational occupation/class are also valid criteria. Petrea Buchard mentioned in a podcast that she took a Shakespeare class and felt that it help her with voice work. Steve Downes the voice of master chief in the halo series is a radio host in Chicago. While the best voice talents are highly sought for, failing those, a search for voices outside of anime, games, and animated movies would have to be strongly considered. A look in other pools of voices could yield unexpected finds in talents.

Though this is just my opinion.

I have ALWAYS said that the quality of current English Dubbed anime would be 10x better if it adopted the mindset that Disney and Pioneer had where they would look for talent outside of the pool of already established talent.

While this does present certain problems for continuity later on in shows that continue, ultimately, the biggest hurdle to this great idea is the almighty dollar, companies want to spend as little as they can on a show, which clashes with looking for stage actors especially, who actually get paid for the majority of their work outside of anime, lol.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Quote:

Dagon123 wrote:

I have ALWAYS said that the quality of current English Dubbed anime would be 10x better if it adopted the mindset that Disney and Pioneer had where they would look for talent outside of the pool of already established talent.

While this does present certain problems for continuity later on in shows that continue, ultimately, the biggest hurdle to this great idea is the almighty dollar, companies want to spend as little as they can on a show, which clashes with looking for stage actors especially, who actually get paid for the majority of their work outside of anime, lol.

In the case of Ai, it might come down to how committed the company, or people working on the show are. There are two cases that I know of, of commitment to a project. The director of Metal Gear Solid spent his own money to bring back the voice actors for the remake of the first game. Also the people for Hellsing brought back almost all the voices back for Hellsing Ultimate which is awesome. Whoever gets Tenchi Muyo, will have to live up to the bar if they want to make money, 20 years of still being remembered, Negishi directing Ai, loyal fans, and the funded and success of Tenchi Muyo Ai by the city of Takahashi. If they get too cheap and half-@$$ the voice work for the dub, they might as well be asking to be flipped off.

Sometimes though you simply can’t get the same actors back because of retirement or other reasons.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Quote:

mitsuki lover wrote

Sometimes though you simply can’t get the same actors back because of retirement or other reasons.

In my earlier post, I was talking about assurance to quality of animes voices in great projects.

Oh..ok.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      What would do this thread some good if there was nominations or a site for people outside of animation that could be added in the pool. I have no idea of any person of anime outside of animation dubbing, so anyone please add nominations of persons that have a great voice or vocational skill it would give a nice boost to dubbing in general.
      I don’t know if I understood what you’re getting at,but the one name I can think of off the bat is

James Earl Jones.

Viewing 125 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.