Wanderers vs.

• This topic is empty.
    So rightstuf has their rebadge of El Hazard Wanderers dvd box on sale today. I’m wondering if it is worth it?

Think I’ve only seen both OVAs (magnificent), but not wanderers or alternative.

What say ye?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Replies
      Anonymous
      Anything to support El-Hazard (especially if it’s under 20 bucks)

I have not seen it myself, but from what I’ve been told it’s like the Tenchi Universe of El-Hazard so.

Nil Admirari
      none
      Wanderers is pretty good, not as perfectly condensed as the first EH OVA but follows a very similar plot path. Some characterizations have changed pretty dramatically, though I know you’ll probably appreciate Alielle’s severely reduced libido compared to her original.

I’d recommend Wanderers over Alternative World, easily.

jgzinv
      Yeah there’s only three reviews of wanderers out there. One of them pretty much compared Ifurita to Mihoshi which makes me somewhat sad as she was a favorite. I’d like to find the OVA but cheapest is about $60 on ebay.

Aielle can go mate with a bugrom. :p

I’m pretty much going overboard on rightstuf, stocking up my anime club.

Almael
      Well, Wanderers is the TV version and the art/style/character designs are closer to tenchi than the OVA. I guess the best comparison is the difference between classic Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon Crystal only with a bit more changes than Crystal. Of all El-Hazard shows I like Wanderers best for the greater depth and relationship. The others don’t compare…

But I amid the mature Ifurita isn’t so bad in her own way. In Wanderers she a bit too much of an airhead.

Nil Admirari
      none

Almael wrote:

Well, Wanderers is the TV version and the art/style/character designs are closer to tenchi than the OVA. I guess the best comparison is the difference between classic Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon Crystal only with a bit more changes than Crystal. Of all El-Hazard shows I like Wanderers best for the greater depth and relationship. The others don’t compare…

But I amid the mature Ifurita isn’t so bad in her own way. In Wanderers she a bit too much of an airhead.

I’m a fan of the comparison between The Wanderers and Tenchi Universe – alternate take on the original story with more time allotted for exploring characters and goofing off. It does feel exactly like Tenchi Universe in many of the best ways. I do feel that OVA1 of El Hazard is much like OVA1 of Tenchi Muyo – the perfect distillation of the story with tight pacing and phenomenal direction, but then again both had OVA budgets to work with as well.

SnowQueen

JGZinv wrote:

Aielle can go mate with a bugrom. :p

sadface1

Anyway I still haven’t seen Wanders and I haven’t seen Alternative World for so long…I really need to dive back into the world of El-Hazard instead of watching anime that’s only half ass good at best.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      In my opinion, Wanderers can’t hold a candle to the original OVA. That being said, I think Wanderers is a fine show, and easily worth a watch (and yes, a buy) on its own merits. I’ll join the chorus of those who compare it with Tenchi Universe. The basic setup is the same as the first OVA, but it’s more stretched out, more goofy in the beginning and middle sections, and lacks the jumping animation and soaring musical score that comes with an OVA budget. The one thing that definitely holds up just as well as the original, though, is the dub. Every one of the actors returns and reprises their roles, and having played them for longer when the show was dubbed they are even more comfortable in their roles. The changes in the plot and characters are a mixed bag, and will really depend on your taste. A goofier Ifurita removes the tension of the star-crossed romance between her and Makoto, but it adds a pretty fun foil for Jinnai and his hijinks. Likewise, Rune Venus’ transformation from majestic sovereign to cutesy love interest is pretty cliche, but it does lead to an interesting friendship/rivalry between her and Nanami. Axing Fatora entirely was a stroke of genius, lol.

Final verdict, if you can get it for a reasonable price The Wanderers is well worth any good El Hazard fan’s time, and should at the very least provide a solid 26 episodes of entertainment for a burgeoning Anime Club’s library.

Almael
      Well, I think the most commonality is the orchestrated goofing. As to basing comparison based on characters I’m not so much into this because character design mostly gets reused by all kinds of shows. The same goes for combinations thereof, hence , there’s a formula people often use. you will see a lot of similarities in any number of shows of the same genre. It’s not necessary a sure thing to based on is what I want to say.

I do think there is a major difference between El Harzard (Wanderers) and Tenchi in general. Tenchi is simplier unless you count in GPX and War on Geminar. In El Harzard there’s always danger looming over the world or local. There are the bugrom, other human nations plotting, the god-eye, monsters of old, etc. In Tenchi you got the “villain of the day” and once he’s taken care of it’s peace all around. In El Harzard getting rid of an enemy doesn’t remove the general danger it’s only one bad guy gone. Well, El Harzard doesn’t have the complicated family tree issues, though.

Well,yeah there’s that and the fact that the whole Tenchi family tree is a way of screwing with the fans to give them one big headache.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.