War on Geminar! Dub cast

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime War on Geminar! Dub cast

• This topic is empty.
  • Replies
      The one for Aura is a toughie I agree.Though I would perfer Colleen Clickenbeard myself.Though when I do get it I real be watching the Japanese language version subbed,so it don’t matter,I just like Colleen

Clinkenbeard’s work is all. :D

btw:I noticed you didn’t list Vic Mignona,which I was glad of because not a fan of his.

Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

btw:I noticed you didn’t list Vic Mignona,which I was glad of because not a fan of his.

Not a fan of Vic either, he’s a good voice actor, but having seen how he acts in con and real life situations yea isawitplz

Well since I haven’t been to any Cons,I can’t speak to that,however from my expierence when I was a member of the Christian Anime Alliance I do think his fans can get to be over obnoxious as in Vic’s God’s Gift to voice acting.

Anywho,it will be interesting to see when Funi does make the announcement how right you are in your

predictions.

So does anyone know if Funi has announced the dub cast yet?
      Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

So does anyone know if Funi has announced the dub cast yet?

Considering they JUST announced the show, year and a half at the least, so more then likely fall 2013-spring 2014 (and no it’s not because it takes a long time to dub, it’s because FUNimation lets them sit and gestitate way too long for no good reason, lol)

Gestitate?Is that even a word? 😆

But I get your point.Keep the fans busy trying to figure out whose going to be in it and then WHAM! just before people loose interest come out with the announcement.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Well since I haven’t been to any Cons,I can’t speak to that,however from my expierence when I was a member of the Christian Anime Alliance I do think his fans can get to be over obnoxious as in Vic’s God’s Gift to voice acting.

He IS God’s gift to voice acting!!! uh, err, ahem…sorry bout that :D

Well, Kenshi’s not blonde…therefore Vic can’t do his voice 😆 (I joke, but seriously, look at his anime roles sometime…blondes!!!)

fans can do that with a series, or a person, or a character (case in point: overzealous bronies)

For Kenshi…how about Joel McDonald? (Minato Sahashi in Sekirei and Jacuzzi Splot in Baccano!). Definitely has that youthful/inexperienced young protagonist sound to his voice imo.

Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

Gestitate?Is that even a word? 😆

But I get your point.Keep the fans busy trying to figure out whose going to be in it and then WHAM! just before people loose interest come out with the announcement.

I meant “gestate” my bad blushingmadplz (how did I miss that misspelling? lol)

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

He IS God’s gift to voice acting!!! uh, err, ahem…sorry bout that :D

Well, Kenshi’s not blonde…therefore Vic can’t do his voice 😆 (I joke, but seriously, look at his anime roles sometime…blondes!!!)

fans can do that with a series, or a person, or a character (case in point: overzealous bronies)

The thing here Mitsuki Lover (even though I’m quoting who), is, don’t ever let the fans bother you from liking or disliking something, (although it does absolutely suck when they are overzealous) base your opinion on the subject itself.

But my reasons for disliking Vic Mignogna are because he “literally” thinks he’s the best, “even better then Steven Blum” (HA) and I’m the type of person who loves humility in a person of great skill or popularity, and the minute I see, hear, or experience you calling yourself “The best in the world”, as well as him being really shallow and pushing his beliefs onto others, yea……. But like I said, he’s a fantastic voice actor and I respect that, he’s definitely in the upper echelon of the best voice actors the R1 market has ever seen, his ego is just too big for his little alchemist body, lol

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

For Kenshi…how about Joel McDonald? (Minato Sahashi in Sekirei and Jacuzzi Splot in Baccano!). Definitely has that youthful/inexperienced young protagonist sound to his voice imo.

Based on this clip right here

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2CuBbgjoX0[/BBvideo]

I would totally go on that who! I think if he acted a little bit more “goofy” (Sorry he’s related to Tenchi “Matt Miller” Misaki and Nobuyuki “Jay Hopper” Misaki, there’s gotta be an aloof element to his voice to pass for me, xD lol)

All in all it’s up to Funi to decide on who will be in the cast instead of the fans.Overall it won’t matter to me as I shall be watching the sub as soon as I can manage to get it.

I actually like Steven Blum’s work.His Spike Speigel and Roger Smith are considered by some to be even better than the original Japanese versions.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

All in all it’s up to Funi to decide on who will be in the cast instead of the fans.Overall it won’t matter to me as I shall be watching the sub as soon as I can manage to get it.

I actually like Steven Blum’s work.His Spike Speigel and Roger Smith are considered by some to be even better than the original Japanese versions.

…yes indeed, Funi will pick the cast for Funimation’s project. But what’s an anime forum without fun V.O. what-if’s? 😉

& Steve Blum is da’ bomb! He’s scheduled to be at NebrasKon :washu: (I must get pics! I must!)

Caitlin Glass is an excellent suggestion for Lashara Furan (or Earth, even). I’d also throw in Stephanie Sheh for consideration

For Aura Shurifon, idk why but I’m picturing–how to word this–not necessarily significantly “deeper” voice, but more serious and/or mature sounding tone. Stephanie Young and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn come to mind.

jgzinv
      Cast is easier to pick out… just think of whomever is cheap to hire or already one of their in house actors.
      Anonymous

JGZinv wrote:

Cast is easier to pick out… just think of whomever is cheap to hire or already one of their in house actors.

That’s exactly what I did, lol (sadly)

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

For Aura Shurifon, idk why but I’m picturing–how to word this–not necessarily significantly “deeper” voice, but more serious and/or mature sounding tone. Stephanie Young and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn come to mind.

But see she is deeper then everybody else in the Japanese Dub, and to me personally, that adds to her being the older, adult figure like Mexiah and Flora (not being considered one of the “girls” but one of the “women” type thing.)

Speaking of Mary Elizabeth McGlynn did you realize she was on Star Trek:Voyager?It was the episode where

Tom Paris gets his body hijacked by an alien.She played a female alien that was hijacked by the same

alien earlier.So you couldn’t see what she actually looked like because of all of the alien prostectics.

I went over to the Funi blog today and still no announcement yet on the War on Geminar dub.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Speaking of Mary Elizabeth McGlynn did you realize she was on Star Trek:Voyager?It was the episode where

Tom Paris gets his body hijacked by an alien.She played a female alien that was hijacked by the same

alien earlier.So you couldn’t see what she actually looked like because of all of the alien prostectics.

I went over to the Funi blog today and still no announcement yet on the War on Geminar dub.

*Jumps on Netflix* Well so she is! I can see her as Aura, although I’d have to hear if her voice has changed at all since the Voyager episode as I don’t know her from anything else offhand. As for the potential dub cast, I really can’t begin to speculate as my knowledge of VA’s is limited to pretty much Tenchi and the big Toonami voices like Steve Blum and Peter Cullen. It was the Star Trek reference that brought me here :Cheeks:

Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

They won’t announce a dub cast until its up for pre-order, which…..will be in like a year, year and a half 😆

Ah,so we are thinking about 2014 then?

Ack!The Eva remake movies are coming out faster! 😆

Just my impatience talking.

Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

Ah,so we are thinking about 2014 then?

Ack!The Eva remake movies are coming out faster! 😆

Just my impatience talking.

Considering EVA 3.0 is coming out in Japanese theaters this fall, and it’s been what, 3 years since 2.0? I don’t think so, lol

But yea, late 2013, early 2014

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m82vi4uRbS1qebh76.jpg" />

Fun to do ‘what if’s’ (realistic or otherwise) but if I were a bettin’ man (which I ain’t) the more I think about it (considering Funi’s aptitude to use in-house talent) I’d wager Caitlin Glass will be among the cast (August 27th, 2012, I’m calling it people!)

Man, I’d go all for Chris Sabat, buuuut just to try to throw other names out there, umm…

Kent Williams? (Has amazing “presence” and authority to his voice, though not as deep as Sabat)

In-house does make sense since it means they don’t have to pay any extra fees.Hmmm…Is Texas a

Union or Non-Union State,I forget.That could be another reason for doing it In-house if it’s Non-Union

State.

Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

In-house does make sense since it means they don’t have to pay any extra fees.Hmmm…Is Texas a

Union or Non-Union State,I forget.That could be another reason for doing it In-house if it’s Non-Union

State.

The thing is Mitsuki Lover, they rarely, rarely, RARELY, use anyone who isn’t a freelancer or in-house (Believe it or not their are a plethora of good acting talent out there, but the way FUNimation conducts dubbing you wouldn’t know it)

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Fun to do ‘what if’s’ (realistic or otherwise) but if I were a bettin’ man (which I ain’t) the more I think about it (considering Funi’s aptitude to use in-house talent) I’d wager Caitlin Glass will be among the cast (August 27th, 2012, I’m calling it people!)

Man, I’d go all for Chris Sabat, buuuut just to try to throw other names out there, umm…

I’ve got all my money on Sabat, he was the one before anybody else that I said “He’s gonna be Babalun” So we’ll see if our bets pay off in time badassplz

Thorn

Quote:

Is Texas a

To answer your question, Texas is a non-union state. However, if you pay close attention to dubbing, you’ll find that even outside of Funi, different VAs tend to work in the same circle; granted, not as consistently as Funimation VAs. I don’t think that Funi’s strict use of in-house talent is necessarily union-related so much as it is that that’s the way they prefer it.

I asked simply because I wasn’t sure,then again I live in Washington which is a pretty big Union State.
      Thorn
      I understand. It’s not something that most people keep track of.
      Yeah,most people don’t think of such things.Then again the whole field is pretty small when you compare it to the rest of acting.
      Honeslty i’m not that picky when it comes to dubs, but I will admit the lack of variety in Funimation dubs does get to me at times, its like they use the same 6 or so VA’s over & over for the lead roles in the anime they acquire. Overall I just want a nice variety of voices like we had in the old Tenchi shows, heck even Funi’s dub of GXP had some fun voices in there. But yeah as long as they give it a solid dub, and at least attempt some variety in the cast i’ll be satisfied.
      Thorn
      ^ That’s exactly why I’m nervous about the pending Black Lagoon dub should Funimation not be able to get the original cast back.

Thorn wrote:

^ That’s exactly why I’m nervous about the pending Black Lagoon dub should Funimation not be able to get the original cast back.

I can agree on this whole-heartedly, If they don’t at least get Revy’s origional VA back, I will raise cain to no end on the Funi Forums.

I mean I could understand not being able to get afew, reuniting a whole cast is hard. But they have NO excuse not to get Revy back, and Tabitha St. Germain should be able to play Roberta again since they wrapped up the voice work on Season 3 of MLP:FIM MONTHS ago.

So yeah at the very least Revy & Roberta should come back, if not, we can always get our pitchforks & torchs out and raid Funimation. 😆

I kid of course…..

Or do I!? :Cheeks:

Thorn
      Unfortunately, Maryke Hendrikse (Revy) is also doing Johnny Test, hopefully there won’t be conflict between the two recordings.
      Ahh I see, well that is abit of a pickle, still VA’s have been known to work on multiple series, so yes hopefully her schedule will be free enough to add Black Lagoon: Roberta’s Blood Trail to the list. *Crosses Fingers*

Anyhwo getting back on topic, I personally think Kenshi should be voiced by either Eric Vale,Vic Mignogna, Tony Oliver, or Todd Haberkorn. I think anyone of them could be a decent English VA for ol Kenshi overall.

As for the gals, can’t say, as long as they put Colleen Clinkenbeard in there somewhere, I love her Erza in Fairy Tail, she’s a good voice for “Tough” gals.

Anonymous

Soundmonkey44 wrote:

But they have NO excuse not to get Revy back, and Tabitha St. Germain should be able to play Roberta again since they wrapped up the voice work on Season 3 of MLP:FIM MONTHS ago.

That never stopped them from only getting Johnny Bosch back for Badlands Rumble and Screwing over the voice actors of Wolfwood (Jeff Nimoy), Millie (Lia Sargent) and Meryl (Dorothy Elias Fahn) (which each voice actor promptly and thoroughly described afterwards).

and just recently they re-casted everyone for Shana so, the way I see, there is NEVER a guarentee, no matter how big or popular the show is, I can only pray FUNimation can get their heads out of there stuck up asses long enough to realize Black Lagoon is important enough for them to actually pay voice actors decent pay and keep consistent dub continuity.

Dagon123 wrote:

Soundmonkey44 wrote:

But they have NO excuse not to get Revy back, and Tabitha St. Germain should be able to play Roberta again since they wrapped up the voice work on Season 3 of MLP:FIM MONTHS ago.

That never stopped them from only getting Johnny Bosch back for Badlands Rumble and Screwing over the voice actors of Wolfwood (Jeff Nimoy), Millie (Lia Sargent) and Meryl (Dorothy Elias Fahn) (which each voice actor promptly and thoroughly described afterwards).

and just recently they re-casted everyone for Shana so, the way I see, there is NEVER a guarentee, no matter how big or popular the show is, I can only pray FUNimation can get their heads out of there stuck up asses long enough to realize Black Lagoon is important enough for them to actually pay voice actors decent pay and keep consistent dub continuity.

Sad but true, i’ve had to deal with many an angry Shana fan on the Funi Forums. But they do get it right sometimes, they got the cast back for the EVA re-build flicks and Hellsing Ultimate, so I guess it just depends on how much money they think they’ll make on the title, or how easy it is for them…who knows.

Anonymous

Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Sad but true, i’ve had to deal with many an angry Shana fan on the Funi Forums. But they do get it right sometimes, they got the cast back for the EVA re-build flicks and Hellsing Ultimate, so I guess it just depends on how much money they think they’ll make on the title, or how easy it is for them…who knows.

They did for Hellsing Ultimate, which was surprising, but I’m sure even they know they can’t cut corners on that one. However, they did not get all the original cast back for the Eva Rebuild movies. Amanda Winn Lee (The original Rei) approached FUNimation about reprising the role, and they told her and I quote (as I’ve talked to her in person on the subject) “No, we don’t want you, this is a FUNimation dub”. And Greg Ayres, who played Kaoru, one of the most catalyst important characters in the show, was told (again, from talking to him, face to face myself, and he bitterly hates FUNimation for this and the other things they do to voice actors) that “Sorry, we want (insert the guy who plays him now) over you, but you can be Kensuke”

Now I know we didn’t exactly start off on the right foot, and I just want to say, I apologize for being overly negative, But this is something very important and near and dear to me and I’m not going to just sit by and let it slide. FUNimation has proven time and time again, that we are the last thing on their list of important things to give a flip about, and in the entertainment industry that kind of mindset should put you out of business. Stuff like that isn’t on accident, it’s just continued unprofessional bullshit from the company who should be leading by example.

Thorn

Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Ahh I see, well that is abit of a pickle, still VA’s have been known to work on multiple series, so yes hopefully her schedule will be free enough to add Black Lagoon: Roberta’s Blood Trail to the list. *Crosses Fingers*

Anyhwo getting back on topic, I personally think Kenshi should be voiced by either Eric Vale,Vic Mignogna, Tony Oliver, or Todd Haberkorn. I think anyone of them could be a decent English VA for ol Kenshi overall.

As for the gals, can’t say, as long as they put Colleen Clinkenbeard in there somewhere, I love her Erza in Fairy Tail, she’s a good voice for “Tough” gals.

I’m partial to Tony Oliver, myself after hearing his performance in Gungrave. As for Colleen, it wouldn’t really be a Funi dub without her somewhere in it, now would it?

@Dagon: No need for apologies. Although I do commend Funimation on their goal to supply fans with dubbed anime at reasonable prices, I too agree their overall business has more then its fair share of flaws, they really need both a better PR group for cons, and as said, they need to actually care about getting original casts back for older works &/or continuations. I mean sometimes it is out of their hands, but as you said, sometimes its just Funi being jerks.

And speaking as a mod at Funi Forums…they need to FIX their dang clunky as [Censored] website already, its been up over a year and its still buggy! 👿

@Thorn
      : Agreed on both counts!

I didn’t know that Funi turned down Amanda Winn Lee.I thought she turned down the change to re-do Rei for family reasons.(I enjoyed her work as Mika in Geneshaft when I was new to anime and was still watching

the dubs on tv.)

WisperG
      They’ve finally announced the full cast list at Ohayocon.

Looks like Dagon nailed Cherami Leigh as Wahanly and J Michael Tatum as Ulyte. Good job! :D

via FUNimation.com

Quote:

MAIN CAST

CHARACTER ACTOR

AURA Lydia Mackay

CHIAIA Morgan Garrett

KENSHI Jason Liebrecht

LASHARA Jād Saxton

LITHIA Caitlin Glass

MARIA Tia Ballard

WAHANLY Cherami Leigh

ULYTE J. Michael Tatum

BABALUN R Bruce Elliott

SUPPORTING CAST

CHARACTER ACTOR

ALAN Joel McDonald

ANGELA Leah Clark

BWOOLE Allison Sumrall

CERES Josh Grelle

CLIFF Jerry Jewell

CORDYLINE Stephanie Young

DAGMYER Duncan Brannan

DOLL Monica Rial

EMERA Shelley Calene-Black

FLORA Colleen Clinkenbeard

GAIA John Swasey

GRYNO Ryan Reynolds

HANNAH Karen Bright

HAZUKI Andrea Freyberg

JOZZY Trina Nishimura

KING SHURIFON John Swasey

KORO Kristi Kang

LAN Brina Palencia

LAPIS Alexis Tipton

MEXIAH Jamie Marchi

MORGA Emily Neves

NANA Pam Dougherty

NEIL Ian Sinclair

NEIZAI Martha Harms

POPE Jerry Russell

UNCLE Jeremy Inman

VANESSA Brittney Karbowski

WREDA Michelle Rojas

YELISS Lindsay Seidel

YUKINE Kristi Kang

STAFF

ADR Director & Line Producer Joel McDonald

ADR Engineer Kevin Leasure

Head Writer John Burgmeier

Script Writer Jamie Marchi

Sweet. Got the first clip up on a separate thread.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Good for you. hurrplz
      Anonymous

WisperG wrote:

They’ve finally announced the full cast list at Ohayocon.

Looks like Dagon nailed Cherami Leigh as Wahanly and J Michael Tatum as Ulyte. Good job! :D

via FUNimation.com

Yea when I heard the trailer at the con, I was like “Yep Ulyte sounds exactly how I expected” Wahanly as well, Lashara sounds good, Chiaia was pretty good as well, looks like an overall great cast for the show.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      From the clip I can only say that I am VERY pleased and excited for this dub! Some rather big names and some brand new faces, both of which make me happy! I can’t wait to hear how the other cast members sound, especially Lithia, Yukine, and Flora! All in all, props to FUNimation for getting a group worthy of the material!
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      And the critic sounds off… 😉
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

Yeah I saw that… Overall I think the review was a bit overly harsh, especially regarding the animation and artwork. I obviously can’t sound off on the dub quality, having only seen two minutes of it, but what I saw didn’t merit merely a C+ rating. I can see where he’s coming from on the story front, as the plot progression did suffer from “Kajishima-itis”, a.k.a. switching between spurts of rapid plot development and interminable slice of life atmosphere, but I found the world building fascinating rather than confusing, and the “fluff” entertaining rather than boring. Oh well, the only real measure that matters on ANN isn’t the official review anyway, and the user ratings graph is looking pretty green to me! :D

EDIT: I also agree wholeheartedly with the fanservice aspect of the review. It was pretty poorly executed throughout, but it was better and less frequent than GXP’s IMO.

chucklocker wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

Yeah I saw that… Overall I think the review was a bit overly harsh, especially regarding the animation and artwork. I obviously can’t sound off on the dub quality, having only seen two minutes of it, but what I saw didn’t merit merely a C+ rating. I can see where he’s coming from on the story front, as the plot progression did suffer from “Kajishima-itis”, a.k.a. switching between spurts of rapid plot development and interminable slice of life atmosphere, but I found the world building fascinating rather than confusing, and the “fluff” entertaining rather than boring. Oh well, the only real measure that matters on ANN isn’t the official review anyway, and the user ratings graph is looking pretty green to me! :D

EDIT: I also agree wholeheartedly with the fanservice aspect of the review. It was pretty poorly executed throughout, but it was better and less frequent than GXP’s IMO.

I agree on all part, including that the rating should be a tad bit higher than a C+. Which would make me want to have THE critic chime in on this- THE NOSTALGIA CRITIC.

jgzinv
      I just hope that it doesn’t hurt our chances too much considering I got it right from Funi that WoG is a test release.

My opinion on it I’ve stated before… but a c- is low even by my standards.

Anonymous

ANN-Carl wrote:

Overall (dub) : C+

Story : C

Animation : C+

Art : C+

Music : C+

+ Can be funny; mostly painless when being light and fluffy; Kenshi’s pretty great.

Messy and ill-written when indulging in world building or complex plotting; harem component is pretty awful.

I know I said a little on this earlier but I think the C’s across the board were a bit harsh, but some things he noted like the fanservice and the all over the place characters and plot were definitely warranted of the rating. The Art though deserves at least a B. It may not be outstanding (though the overworld and larger structure shots are fantastic), but it’s certainly not something you see in every anime now a days. The dub obviously is harder to maintain since we don’t have entire episodes to judge by, but the cast so far I think at least SOUNDS better then a C+

Lighthawk93
      I agree with the voices being great for the dub( only the characters in the clip), though I have to say Kenshi’s voice sounds a little deep for his age. That’s just my opinion, feel free to voice your own.

Lighthawk93 wrote:

I agree with the voices being great for the dub( only the characters in the clip), though I have to say Kenshi’s voice sounds a little deep for his age. That’s just my opinion, feel free to voice your own.

Are we talking deep like in Photon’s case?

Really hoping this release shows up on Funi’s May or June solicits. *Knock on wood*

Also, voice cast sounds decent from the previews they’ve put up, hope the overall dub turns out well.

Lighthawk93

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

Lighthawk93 wrote:

Are we talking deep like in Photon’s case?

I would not know because I have not seen Photon.

Are there any other reviews besides ANN’s out there?

From my expierence reading anime reviews just because on reviewer may thrash a certain title doesn’t mean

another will.It’s only one person’s view after all.Personally I be more interested in what they would say about it at Anime Academy and The Anime Review as those are two of the review sites that I go go

these days.I never read reviews at ANN.

JGZinv wrote:

I just hope that it doesn’t hurt our chances too much considering I got it right from Funi that WoG is a test release.

My opinion on it I’ve stated before… but a c- is low even by my standards.

I know this is a little old, but I’m just curious… what would WoG be a test release for? They have almost all of Tenchi. Maybe it’s for the type of release or something? :?

Anonymous

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

I know this is a little old, but I’m just curious… what would WoG be a test release for? They have almost all of Tenchi. Maybe it’s for the type of release or something? :?

At Ohayocon, JG Talked to the rep who is pretty much THE con rep for FUNimation, and it was implied that War on Geminar was like a “test” release for things that weren’t main cast Tenchi, IE “If it does good, we might look into Dual, Photon, Pretty Sammy etc” “If it does mediocre or bombs, you can pretty much axe that idea entirely”

Hmmm. Then I might have to get this release soon after all if it means a chance of us getting Pretty Sammy, or even better, Magical Project S. They could use the Sasami: Magical Girls Club cast for all I care. I just want that show dubbed!
      Anonymous

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Hmmm. Then I might have to get this release soon after all if it means a chance of us getting Pretty Sammy, or even better, Magical Project S. They could use the Sasami: Magical Girls Club cast for all I care. I just want that show dubbed!

I can almost guarantee you that Magical Project S is never going to see a dub, and if it does, it will be a completely different cast than the original. Sadly magical girl outside of Japan now a days isn’t too hot (or requires Madoka level twists/tone to get over) so the odds are slim to none.

Still, never say never. Even if FUNimation doesn’t pick that show up (and I’d be surprised if they did, seeing as the sales for Sasami: MGC weren’t that good from what I hear), I suppose it’s possible a company like Sentai could, and if they decided to do a dub, they could do it with Bang Zoom, and get Sherry Lynn back (who returned for their Rozen Maiden dub). Is it likely? Maybe not, but still, you never know.

What I don’t get is why Pioneer never dubbed the show in the first place, seeing as Tenchi was pretty much their “trademark” show (like Dragon Ball Z to FUNimation, Evangelion to ADV Films, and Slayers to Central Park Media). Even if the Pretty Sammy OVA wasn’t a hit, leaving a part of their big property undubbed seemed a little strange (even if it does make business sense). Imagine if one of the aforementioned companies released a part of their trademark properties undubbed :?

Anonymous

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

What I don’t get is why Pioneer never dubbed the show in the first place, seeing as Tenchi was pretty much their “trademark” show (like Dragon Ball Z to FUNimation, Evangelion to ADV Films, and Slayers to Central Park Media). Even if the Pretty Sammy OVA wasn’t a hit, leaving a part of their big property undubbed seemed a little strange (even if it does make business sense). Imagine if one of the aforementioned companies released a part of their trademark properties undubbed :?

They didn’t dub it because even though it was CONNECTED to Tenchi, it was too far removed from the main cast to warrant a dub (IE Not worth the money to dub). It also didn’t have broad demographic appeal, look at the box covers for the VHS and DVD releases. Aside from Sasami, most Tenchi fans wouldn’t even know who they were, hell I imagine most people who watched Toonami didn’t even know it existed (A lot of people in Tenchi fandom still don’t know the PS OVA exists, let alone MPS), and while Magical Girl seemed like it had a foothold because of Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura, those were really the stand-out exceptions, how many other Magical Girl shows did you see on North American TV aside from those? Not many, if any. It is strange that Pioneer of all people wouldn’t dub a show, but keep in mind also that Pioneer never budgeted dubs, meaning they would sink a lot of money into a single dub, so if they knew they couldn’t make a return, they probably weren’t willing to take a chance on it.

Like I said, I understand the business sense, it’s just strange the way things worked out. Magical Girl shows are a hit or miss here. About the only hits are, like you said, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, but also Madoka Magica, Tokyo Mew Mew (it got good ratings on 4KidsTV, but Tom Wayland told me the 2nd half wasn’t dubbed because the show was too short for merchandising), Winx Club (not an anime, but still definitely a Magical Girl show), and perhaps a couple others, but those are the biggies. I guess it also didn’t help Magical Project S is a kid’s show, and was even marketed as 3+ here (despite being subtitled. The subs were even lightly censored), where Tenchi is in an older male demographic. I guess it was difficult to make Magical Project S work in that regard. It’s a shame really.

I’m still curious why FUNi decided to license Sasami: Magical Girl’s Club. I’m happy they did, but it seemed like a pretty obscure little kids’ show, easily the most obscure part of the Tenchi franchise. I guess since they handle the Tenchi property now, they sort of kinda… “got” it…? I know that’s a horrible reason, but it’s the only thing I can think of.

spokethewind

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Hmmm. Then I might have to get this release soon after all if it means a chance of us getting Pretty Sammy, or even better, Magical Project S.

Isn’t Pretty Sammy the 3 episode trial that eventually paved the way to Magical Project S and Magical Girls Club? Because Pretty Sammy has been dubbed by the original cast. The only thing that hasn’t been dubbed is MPS and that simply will never happen, at least by a company. I think we’re lucky that MGC was dubbed… however horrible it is. Which is why the Japanese versions are just fine by me. 😆

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Not even all the way through as of this writing, but I just had to get on here and say Jason Liebrecht is dead-on as Kenshi Masaki (which proves that if they actually try, FUNi can do a good job at casting roles…even for Tenchi series!)

The rest of the characters seem cast well enough as well. Yukine Mare is a personal favorite, and Kristi Bingham (or rather, Kang now?) did an excellent job (I would have probably guessed Caitlin Glass just hearing her at first, as well as considering her portrayal of similar characters such as Yakumo in School Rumble in the past, but Kristi nailed it).

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Yukine Mare

W00t! More Yukine love! She was my favorite of the girls… chuplz I think they did an admirable job with her casting, although I think she may be just a bit too whispery. I totally agree with Kenshi, but I think the best casting was by far Wahanly! Props to J. Michael Tatum as well for an excellent Ulyte.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

chucklocker wrote:

although I think she may be just a bit too whispery.

Ah’ loikes ‘er whisssspury crosseyedclap2plz

tenchi82fan
      Here are some ironic casting, but the voices of Lashara and Maria, are the same actresses that voices Happy (Tia Ballard) and Charles / Carla (Jed Sexton) from Fairy Tail. Hmm I never watch the Fairy Tail dub the same way again.
      Anonymous
      Wasn’t sure where to post this, but Tia Ballard, voice of Maria Nanadan from WoG will be at Ohayocon this year (Jan 2014)

http://www.ohayocon.org/TiaBallardbio.htm

Viewing 62 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.