writers block

Forums Fan Stuff Fanfiction writers block

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    does anyone have cure for writers block involving these topics time travel, side story and mmo building and explanations. im at a roadblock on these topics. im writing a story centered around a hell cat and an angel like character who are betrothed at birth and over time fall in love thru their many trials. i know the climax and i know how it ends. for the side story its supposed to describe how we have cat and dog looking aliens on earth i know again how it ends and the climax along with the beginning but im having trouble connecting the dots. the mmo part is describing mechanics like the movements and attack system. the game has 2 functions the story which is centered around the one im working on and an online function which is more relaxed and community driven and gives players the chance to explore more of the game that they couldnt. the aim of the game is to break the current bar on fantasy scifi games. you could say i want it to be a james cameron in the movie verse. all of my friends say that my story feels more like a game script compared to a comic or a novel. im also at a block with its prequel that follows an elf and his adventures along with witnessing the creation of man unlike what scientist and religions say in this tale an elf makes humans. wow thats a mouthful
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Replies
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Ummm yeah that’s a lot from the get go, I’ll admit, speaking for myself I would find it more doable to offer advice if I have a piece of writing to go off of; I’m sure in your head many details, plots and characters are concrete, but for us reading only your one post about it, it’s difficult to see your vision for what it is and offer advice accordingly because again, speaking only for myself, I don’t have a pre-written notepad in my pocket for “workaround for plot hole involving elves” etc. Like you said, “I know the climax and I know how it ends” but we don’t; we don’t have to know all the spoilers per say, but we (at least, I do) gotta have something to work with.

I’ll say this right off the bat, though: video games are becoming more and more immersive and story-driven, utilizing complex narratives with fleshed-out characters. In short, among other things, the line between mediums like movies and games are blurring, perhaps one day becoming non-existent, leaving us with a “cinema” which delivers not a movie or show or video game, but “media” all interactive and assertive of viewer/user immersion…but, for the present, my point is if you’ve heard comments such as “this would be a good video game” or even if you haven’t, don’t write off such possibilities: if you’ve got a good story, be open to different mediums as other possibilities as you try to find the best fit for your vision. In very short, I foresee a time when video games (for lack of better term for whatever form they may take in the future) will be treated with the same dignity as any feature-length film, and seen as a viable option for telling a story. It may even open up other possible workarounds to writer’s block or other hurtles with seemingly no way to write yourself out of.

ookamilord
      Participant
      thanks if you like i can give a copy of it but im a little afraid someone will try to take it and run with it lol had that happen once with a story for a class project and instead of our group getting the 1st prize for the local creative writers award our group was kicked out because the opposing group said that we copied from then when it was the other way around lol but if you need something to work with il be glad to let others read it. i will say this much language arts is not my strong suit and their might be a little grammatical errors. i have a type of dyslexia and most of it was written at 3-5 am blush1
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

ookamilord wrote:

thanks if you like i can give a copy of it but im a little afraid someone will try to take it and run with it lol had that happen once with a story for a class project and instead of our group getting the 1st prize for the local creative writers award our group was kicked out because the opposing group said that we copied from then when it was the other way around lol but if you need something to work with il be glad to let others read it. i will say this much language arts is not my strong suit and their might be a little grammatical errors. i have a type of dyslexia and most of it was written at 3-5 am blush1

Wanting to protect your original ideas is a legitimate concern, and if you post anything, anywhere on the internet, it’s more or less “out there” and I can most definitely sympathize with said concerns. If you don’t want to post anything I understand, some of us could try to give our input regardless, but if you want to really progress I’d highly recommend sharing your work with someone you can confide in (in person if possible) to act as an editor.

Yosho24
      ^ I’d trust nil when it comes to things like this haha
      ookamilord
      Participant
      i did at one point in time have person like that but she move back to york lol and her bf loves to take her phone i can i think some people who dont know will work. so do you want me to start a new post or do you want me to add it to this one.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

ookamilord wrote:

i did at one point in time have person like that but she move back to york lol and her bf loves to take her phone i can i think some people who dont know will work. so do you want me to start a new post or do you want me to add it to this one.

Should you so choose, you can start a new topic, and if you’d like you could put it under “chit chat” instead of fanfiction. If it’s alright with you, I’d like to keep this topic here under the “fanfiction” section so others down the road can possibly use it to voice their own questions/advice regarding writer’s block in general.

If you’d rather not post just yet you can look into finding a “sparring partner” (is that what we’re calling it? okay then) whom you can bounce ideas off of and share some of your material with via chat or pm before posting for all to see; there’s also the “upload attachment” option beneath “submit” when typing a post which will make your file (ex. Word document) visible only to members of the forum (not saying it’s not still “out there” potentially, but it’s slightly more discreet). I’m always up for reading people’s work, but I’m not volunteering myself as the best choice for the time being because I have a lot on my plate now and some others’ work “backlogged” waiting to be read as it is, but I can put you on my list if you’d like. There’s lots of other writers and like-minded people of that sort to be found around the forum, however, and meeting some of these awesome people is mostly just a matter of time; I wouldn’t be surprised if you found a “writing buddy” (yeah, “sparring partner” sounds cooler, right?) or two shortly, it happens fairly often.

ookamilord
      Participant
      sure i can start a new post and leave this one here for others to use. im a really easy going person most of the time. i think it would be nice to have other look at it lol. i know there are going to be lots of people grammar checking me on fragments and stuff. i trust a forum or something like deviant art more than facebook on this stuff. this is for the general masses if there is anything i can help with just pm im more that happy to help in any way. moving to a town that you use to live in and finding all of the people you hanged out with are out of town or out of state kinda makes life boring. i can use mumble after i get my headset from amazon my pals cat ate it when i was visiting him last. i wasnt to made it was only 13 dollars and a koss at that i still have the warranty but i cant find it so to save me time until i can find the papers im getting a new one. but yea this post can be used for all and ill set my microsft word to time stamp or whatever that thing is that auto puts on the date and page number. at times like these i wish i had a big thumbs up emote. thanks for the assist
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.