Writing Journal: "July is all for Washuu"

Forums Fan Stuff Fanfiction Writing Journal: "July is all for Washuu"

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    Day 1: Realized that it is day 5.

Day 5: Concluded that trying to write the later half of a 40,000+ word long work of Tenchi Muyo S-I fanfiction in a month is not going to happen without help, criticism, and accountability from somebody. Decided to consult with fellow Tenchiforum-goers.

Hello, friends. It is For Washuu, talking about “For Washuu”. (no, not myself. The fanfiction.)

While chatting with some of you on mumble, I brought up the idea of finishing the half-completed fic listed above, and resolved to do so. I have 16 chapters written and the rest mostly described in notes in a folder.

YOU, however, are the special part: I need feedback! I will be making daily updates, even if that’s just as much as to say “did nothing today”, but it’s all moot if I just end up spewing useless crap for a month. (Kind of like when I first started writing this fic. I really don’t want to keep doing that.)

So… it’s half past 2 in the morning. Nuts. This post is probably not going to make a whole lot of sense in the morning, but at least I’ll have gotten you to laugh, right?

Day 5: Rambled on in a request for help, criticism, and accountability in writing “For Washuu”. Realized it had become day 6 by the time the post was ready to post. Posted anyways.

>mfw Yazuha pulling at my hair because “stupid post”

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Replies
      For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Day 6 1/2: Thought over the fundamental issues of the story. Talked to fellow forum-goers on Mumble.

Excerpt from my chattings:

Quote:

So, the message (of sorts) eventually shows itself to be a commentary on (and subtle condemnation of) escapism. But the story doesn’t start that way!

The hook is supposed to be that there is an MC who is relatably tired of the world/wants an escape like the Tenchi series. Boy gets his wish, but it’s played straight.

Now deconstruct that.

Setting: He is there in the Tenchi-verse, but he’s not (apparently) special. But he’s happy! He gets to spend time with really fun and active people that he already appreciates (the Masaki household).

Conflict: He’s not the only slider, and the other person (Shayne) is realizing that, due to the nature of “real life” humans in this world, he has *some* power to interact with the Jurai trees and artifacts. When the MC finds this out, it puts into perspective just how much he doesn’t belong in the Tenchi world.

Climax: MC has to confront the other slider and stop him.

Resolution: MC has no choice but to take the other slider and return to what we call “reality” with him, never to see the Tenchi people again.

In principle, this could be good story that challenges the reader to think through what they wish for, but…

segaman4
      Sound intresting and creative! Can’t wait to see it! dawohki1 qt1
      For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Day 7:

Poured myself a f*** of cupping tea. Laughed at juxtaposition of obscenity and “cup”. Wondered why I was using said obscenity in the first place. Realized that I’m very tired.

Realized that it is day eight.

Day 8:

Realized that this is probably going to be a running gag, whether intentional or not.

Figured out how to use Fanfiction.net’s in-site formatting system. Decided to continue hating it anyway.

Re-read prologue and first chapter. Edited. Corrected. Messed with. Was happier about.

Updated said sections of fic.

Realized that it felt GREAT to be fixing errors that I didn’t even realize were there.

Burnt tongue on second cup of tea.

Got off-topic idea: If Tennyo Masaki was born in 1914(as listed on AstroNerdBoy’s blog section 3.1.2), then… add ~27 years, it would be 1941, right? A human would be pushing it to be any older than 27 and still look as old as Tenchi says she looks (er, 19, right?) so what if she considered the outbreak of WWII as good a time as any to break ties with her classmates, friends, and neighbors… and go kicking [donkey] all over the Pacific Theatre??

fyeah1

Just a thought.

Decided to “go to bed already.”

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Day 9:

No progress whatsoever. Thought through some of the ending sequence and logistics. Pondered the fundamental elements and tropes of the end of the story.

Forgot the above ponderances.

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Day 10:

No progress.

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Day 12:

Revised ch. 3 and 4.

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Day 13:

Wish I could get a second opinion about a matter of formatting/style.

In the “transfer” part of the story, the MC is telling his recent memories to a computer program that is communicating directly with his sub-conscious. (A lot like the Matrix, now that I think of it.) It uses the avatar of a young girl to be presentable and unsuspicious to the MC’s mind.

Originally, I had the dialogue all in quotes, with descriptions of expression in fitting places.

In my recent revision, I shifted all of the program’s “spoken” lines to being in italics – due to it being a program and… because. (not totally sure.)

Again, I like the italics, I just don’t know if it’s a good idea or not. :/

Thoughts?

Old ver.
      [spoil]1: Within His Mind

Mist. And wonder. Peace. Quiet.

But not too quiet. Like being next to a shallow waterfall as it lands on shallow rocks with a shallow, pattering noise. And all the rest of the world is so deep and distant…far out in the mist.

In such a place a person doesn’t bother to think much. One would much rather just be, and be without worrying about petty logic and complex thought.

But he’d still hear if someone said “Hello, there.”

“What? Oh, hello.”

“What’s your name?”

“Me? My… my name’s Elliot.”

“How are you doing?”

“Oh, I guess I’m doing well enough. The scenery here kind of puts me out of it, but I’m fine. And you?”

The misty figure tilted her head (though that might not have been noticed).

“I-” It stopped for a second and formed an answer.

“I’m fine.”

A minute passed.

‘Such a peaceful silence.’ the boy thought to himself. ‘No, not silence. Silence is madness. Stillness- a peaceful stillness. Not silence.’

The silver haze came closer to him and, if he had paid attention, he would have guessed that it sat down next to him. But he wasn’t paying attention to that. He wasn’t really paying attention to anything.

“So, what have you been up to lately?” The mist asked.

“I’m not really sure. It’s not something I’m too worried about.”

“Could you tell me, please? I don’t get to talk to people often.”

Compassion. For once the boy actually looked at the being next to him. He could tell that it was a girl from its voice, and after a minute of staring into the mist around her, he could make out that it was young. Maybe six or seven years old.

He thought for a minute that something looked familiar to him, but the mist shifted and the thought was lost.

“Uh, well, I guess I could.”

Somehow he could tell that the girl had a big smile on under that mist, and he smiled back.

“Let me think for a minute, first.” he said as he lay back in the… grass? It wasn’t grass. It wasn’t rock, like the noise of the waterfall made it sound, either. It just… was.

The misty figure descended by him. It didn’t seem to recline, it just hovered next to the boy, waiting for him to start.

“Actually, there’s a LOT that could use explaining…” he mumbled, trailing off.

The mist shifted, waiting for him to begin, but the boy looked hesitant.

“You seem understanding. Do you mind if I ramble for a minute?”

The girl shook her head in approval, but quickly realized that the boy couldn’t see her clearly.

“Go ahead. I’ll listen.” It spoke.

“Well, okay.”

The boy closed his eyes and began.

“This past school year… Yeah, I’ll start there. This year has been my senior year of high school, and it has probably been the most disturbing and painful school-year to date. It’s not really anyone’s fault but mine. You see, I’ve grown tired of the world,” He waved his hand around at nothing in particular. “This reality, if you will.”

‘Oh, the irony,’ The girl thought to herself.

“I’ve come to understand that there is nothing in the reality I inhabit that is not corrupt, and that nearly all the people around me haven’t the slightest clue as to how the world works. They simply don’t understand the workings of life.” He paused.

“Then again… maybe I’m just talking about my peers.” Another pause.

‘Well, if the Wall Street Journal is any example, the rest of the world is just like them.’ he thought to himself with a sense of annoyance.

“Anyways, I’ve grown tired of the world, and one thing that didn’t help this at all was my latest obsession with a certain anime: Tenchi Muyo. An amusement of sorts. I had long since stopped reading fantasy novels by the time I started watching Tenchi Muyo, mainly for the same reason that the anime has become my ruin. Novels, especially fantasy novels, are nearly impossible for me to put up with because they portray a world or reality that reflects how the world was meant to be, and should be. I hate reading about that because no matter how much I may want such a reality (like Tenchi Muyo), it will never exist. So I’d read more fantasy or watch more of the videos until it affected me nearly like a drug.”

He glanced over at the clouded face of the girl. Was it getting his drift? He was pretty sure it had a blank stare, but, again, he was only guessing.

“Aww, never mind. Let me back up to a few days ago, at-” he thought for a minute “the concert.”

“Okay,” The girl in the mist agreed. “What happened there?”

“I had spent the whole day volunteering in setting up and tearing down a show at a local concert hall that I hang around, so I was totally spent when I got home. You see, I had gotten up at seven o’clock to arrive early, and ended up getting home at half past one. That is to say, AFTER midnight.

“Pretty much the whole next morning as I made my way to school I was both half-asleep from staying up so late, and terribly depressed and grumpy from my day-dreams of a better world to live in. Again, it was -no, it IS- my fetish, and it nags at me the worst when I’m fatigued like I was then. Sleepiness wasn’t new, but on that day I felt an aching hunger, as if something was continuously imploding in my stomach, pulling on my insides.

“At school I pretty much slept with my eyes open for the first two periods, unable to handle both the over-bearing aching and my nearly surreal mental state. By the time third period ended, however, the drowsiness and hunger were totally gone, replaced by ubiquitous pain, an uncanny alertness, and a burning energy from inside. It seemed like everywhere that I could, I ached, and yet… it all felt so real. And I felt so… powerful…”

The mist shifted uneasily.

“Anyway, as the day progressed, the aching and intense energy became overwhelming, and I had no trouble checking out of school on the convincingly real excuse of a fever.

“As I got in my ’96 Ford Ranger -gosh,I love that truck- my seemingly never-ceasing mental jukebox suddenly stopped what it had been playing and jumped to a different song all together.”

The girl in the mist suddenly could hear a song float by her like the waving tail-end of a kite.

…I am the fever that burns your skin

…The addiction, the ancient sin

“I found it ironic that-“

“Hold on a minute,” The misty girl cut him off. “What music?”

“Hmm? Oh, you mean my ‘Mental Jukebox’?” He asked, embarrassed.

“Yes, what’s that supposed to be?”

“Umm, how do I say this?” he started and then thought for a bit.

“People crack jokes that I live and breathe music. In truth, it IS always in my head, and I don’t always have control over what song is playing, especially since I have so much music to listen to. Because I know most of it by heart (and head, obviously), you could ask me at pretty much any time of the day what’s playing in my head and I’d have an answer for you.”

He paused again and looked down. “Usually it reflects my mood, so sometimes it just makes things worse.”

“How sad.” the girl thought aloud, and the mist shimmered and shook for the slightest moment. “As you were saying-“

“Uh, yea. Right.” The boy cut in. “So, as I was saying, I found it ironic that my obsession would be so decimating to me as to bring to mind a song about drunkenness.”

“Think about that moment for me, okay?” the girl asked.

The boy nodded, and the song returned. The girl could make out a high tenor voice roughly wailing along with an 80’s-sounding track.

…I am the reputation that makes you loose face

…I am the fear that presents no case

It could see in the boy’s mind as he tried to make his mind ‘play’ a different song while driving home on that day. He had been so frustrated, trying for once to counter his sadness and despair.

“I kept trying to distract myself, to switch what song I was thinking of, but whenever I would…”

Another song floated through the mist. The same singer, the girl concluded.

…I’m standing on the sword of the dragon

…He can’t pull it from beneath my feat

“It didn’t really help the situation much. Every song I ended up hearing in my head was some sort of song of fantasy.”

Again, the song changed.

…Where will you be when the moon turns to blood?

…When the sun won’t shine, and the stars fall from above?

“What did you do then?” The misty figure asked.

The boy shook his head. “I started running through all the songs I had in my head, wondering just why the only ones coming up were songs of fantasy.” The boy looked up with annoyance. “Really, fantasy! Of all things…” He continued to glare at nothing in particular.

“What was so bad with that?” asked the mist.

“All of those songs reflect those realities I can’t have, that’s why.”

The boy suddenly seemed to get a thought, but again the mist shifted and the expression of thought passed from the boy’s face.

‘Let’s keep you non-lucid right now, okay?’ Thought the girl in the mist.

“Uh, well, either way. I fumbled around in my head, trying to find the song I was looking for. It wasn’t the safest thing to be doing, distracting myself that much, but then again I don’t know why it was so distracting. Come to think of it, I was distracting myself so much that I almost missed a turn and I had to brake hard and swing the wheel around quick.” An extremely annoyed expression crossed the boy’s face as he added “I hit the horn by accident, which almost made me run off the road, because I always jump back when I do that. I HATE it when-“

The boy’s reiteration abruptly stopped and he put a hand to his head. Back in the lab, the genius also had an annoyed expression plastered on her face as she practically threw her fingers across her translucent keyboard. She swore at the screen.

“Can’t you just stop thinking long enough to finish?!?” She scolded. Her fingers stopped on a key and she waited for the boy’s memories to start telling themselves again.

On the screen, the boy relaxed. Reluctantly, the scientist did as well.

…Close the hatches and lower the sails

…The storm is whipping great balls of hail

“I had almost reached the gravel road to my house when that happened, and from that point on, I seemed to grow more and more agitated and broody.”

“Broody? You?” The misty girl giggled. “Really, now. What do you mean by that?” The boy considered for a minute before replying.

“I’m not really sure. Something just didn’t feel right. Heck, nothing felt right, from then up till-“

“So, what happened next?” the mist cut him off.

…Tempest is raging, pulling us down

…Time to learn to swim, boy, or time to drown.

“Right about then I hit the gravel. Nothing new to me, just another part of my route home: ‘Out of the city to Ellis Boulevard, a paved road, down that until the pavement turns to gravel, and then a mile past Ramelsburg Hill with all the trees.’ Thanks, mom. Every day of the week.” The boy remembered something and chucked. “Everyone else in my family gets so annoyed that we live west of town, because it means that the sun is in our eyes both going into town in the morning and coming home in the evening. I don’t care-I like it. I’ve always liked the sight of the rising sun and the feel of the sun shining through my windshield, and I often look up toward it.”

‘Even if mom does say I’ll go blind from doing that.’ The boy added silently.

“Interesting.”

“It is!” the boy agreed. “Especially on that day.” He added almost proudly.

“Oh? How so?”

“Well, it was only just nearing noon, so the sun should have been directly above me, and yet… behind the hill, there was-“

…Oars have broke, your time to kneel

…This storm is screaming with the vengeance to KILL

“I gunned the gutless engine in my truck to get up Ramelsburg hill, like I usually do when I get to that spot in the rout home, and I looked up, and…”

The girl was becoming a little impatient. “And? And what?”

“Well, I saw the hill, and the road, and the forest on the left, and… a light shining over from the other side of the hill? It was like an oncoming car at night, but brighter, even brighter than that. It was as if the sun was directly behind the hill! And it was the middle of the day!”

The boy turned to the mist for a second. “How the heck is that supposed to happen when it’s not dark? How could that happen??”

“I don’t know.” The mist replied blankly. “Some odd things…happen, you know.”

“But it had been bright as day one minute-“

The boy stopped altogether, his thoughts ceased.

The redhead back in the lab held her finger on one key as it glowed red, her fierce glare leveled at the screen and the boy on it. Slowly, she turned where she sat. Her finger never left the key it was on as her gaze shifted to the boy on the table. The genius’s eyes narrowed as she made a very rare gut decision and lifted her finger. She spun back and continued watching.

…Faith is plunged into the sea beneath

…The waves beat the ship with iron fists to sink[/spoil]

Recent update

[spoil]1: Within His Mind

Mist… and wonder…

Peace…quiet…

But not too quiet.

Like being next to a shallow waterfall as it lands on a shallow rock with a shallow, pattering noise.

…and all the rest of the world is so deep and distant, far out in the mist.

In such a place a person doesn’t bother to think much. One would much rather just be, and be without worrying about petty logic and complex thought.

But he’d still hear if someone said hello, there.

“What? Oh, hello.”

What’s your name?

“Me? My… my name’s Elliot.”

How are you doing?

“Oh, I guess I’m doing well enough. The scenery here kind of puts me out of it, but I’m fine. And you?”

The misty figure tilted her head, though that might not have been noticed.

I-

It stopped for a second and formed an answer.

I’m fine.

A minute passed.

‘Such a peaceful silence.’ the boy thought to himself. ‘No, not silence. Silence is madness. Stillness; a peaceful stillness. Not silence.’

The silver haze came closer to him and -had he paid attention- he would have guessed that it sat down next to him. But he wasn’t paying attention to that.

He wasn’t really paying attention to anything.

So, what have you been up to lately?

“I’m not really sure. It’s not something I’m too worried about.”

Could you tell me, please? I don’t get to talk to people often here.

Compassion. For once the boy actually looked at the being next to him. He could tell that it was a girl from its voice, and after a minute of staring into the mist around her, he could make out that it was a young girl. Maybe six or seven years old. He thought for a minute that something looked familiar to him, but the mist shifted the thought and it was lost.

“Uh, well, I guess I could.”

Somehow he could tell that the girl had a big smile on under all that mist, and he smiled back.

“Let me think for a minute, first,” he said as he laid back in the… grass? It wasn’t grass. It wasn’t rock either, like the noise of the waterfall made it sound. It just… was.

The misty figure descended by him. She didn’t seem to recline, she just hovered next to the boy, waiting for him to start.

“Actually, there’s a lot that could use explaining…” he trailed off.

The mist shifted, waiting for him to begin, but the boy looked hesitant.

“You seem understanding. Do you mind if I ramble for a minute?”

The girl shook her head in approval, but quickly realized that the boy couldn’t see her clearly.

Go ahead. I’ll listen.

“Well, okay.”

The boy closed his eyes and began.

“This past school year… Yeah, I’ll start there. This year has been my senior year of high school, and it’s probably been the most disturbing and painful school-year to date. It’s not really anyone’s fault but mine. You see, I’ve grown tired of the world,” He waved his hand around at nothing in particular. “This reality, if you will.”

Oh, the irony‘ the girl thought to herself.

“I’ve come to understand that there is nothing in the reality I inhabit that is not corrupt, and that nearly all the people around me haven’t the slightest clue as to how the world works. They simply don’t understand the workings of life.” He paused.

“Then again… maybe I’m just talking about my peers.” Another pause.

“Anyways, I’ve grown tired of the world, and one thing that didn’t help this at all was my latest obsession with a certain anime: Tenchi Muyo. An amusement of sorts. I had long since stopped reading fantasy novels by the time I started watching Tenchi, mainly for the same reason that the anime has become my ruin now. Novels -especially fantasy novels- are nearly impossible for me to put up with because they portray a world or reality that reflects how the world was meant to be, and should be. Good is good, bad is bad, and… and the good guys win, right? And ‘happily ever after’ and all that stuff, right?”

The boy sighed and shook his head. “I hate reading about that because no matter how much I may wish for such a reality -such as Tenchi Muyo- it will never exist. So I’d read more fantasy or watch more of the videos until it affected me nearly like a drug.”

He glanced over at the clouded face of the girl. Was she getting his drift? He was pretty sure she had a blank stare, but, again, he was only guessing.

“Aww, never mind. Let me back up to a few days ago, at…” he thought for a minute “at the concert.”

Okay. What happened there?

“I had spent the day volunteering in setting up and tearing down a concert at a local concert hall that I hang around, so I was totally spent when I got home. You see, I had gotten up at seven o’clock to arrive early, and ended up getting home at half past one. That is to say, one o’clock after midnight.

“Pretty much the whole next morning as I made my way to school I was both half-asleep from staying up so late, and terribly depressed and grumpy from my usual wishes for a better world to live in. Again, it was -no, it is- my fetish, and it nags at me the worst when I’m fatigued like I was then. Sleepiness wasn’t new, but on that day I felt an aching hunger, as if something was continuously imploding in my stomach, pulling on my insides.

“At school I pretty much slept with my eyes open for the first two periods, unable to handle both the over-bearing aching and my nearly surreal mental state. By the time third period ended, however, the drowsiness and hunger were totally gone, replaced by ubiquitous pain, an uncanny alertness, and a burning energy from inside. It seemed like everywhere that I could, I ached, and yet… it all felt so real. And I felt very… powerful.”

The mist shifted uneasily.

“Anyway, as the day progressed, the aching and intense energy became overwhelming, and I had no trouble checking out of school on the convincingly real excuse of a fever. When I got in my ’96 Ford Ranger -gosh, I love that truck- all of a sudden my seemingly never-ending mental jukebox stopped what it had been playing and jumped to a different song all together.”

The girl in the mist suddenly could hear a song float by her like the waving tail-end of a kite.

I am the fever that burns your skin

The addiction, the ancient sin

“I found it ironic that-“

Hold on a minute – What music?

“Hmm? Oh, you mean my ‘Mental Jukebox’?” He asked, embarrassed.

Yes, what’s that supposed to be?

“Umm, how do I say this?” He thought for a bit.

“People crack jokes that I live and breathe music. In truth, it is always in my head, and I don’t always have control over what song is playing – especially since I have so much music to listen to. Since I know most of it by heart (and head, obviously), you could ask me at any time of the day or night what’s playing in my head and I’d have an answer for you.”

He paused again and looked down. “Usually it reflects my mood, so sometimes it just makes things worse.”

How sad.

The mist shimmered and shook for the slightest moment.

As you were saying?

“Uh, yeah. Right.” The boy started. “So, as I was saying, I found it ironic that my obsession would be so decimating to me that it brings to mind a song about drunkenness.”

Think about that moment for me, okay?

The boy nodded, and the song returned. The girl could make out a high, gritty tenor voice wailing along to an 80’s sounding track.

I am the reputation that makes you loose face

I am the fear that presents no case

She could see in the boy’s mind as he tried to make his mind ‘play’ a different song as he drove home on that day. He had been so frustrated, trying for once to counter his sadness and despair.

“I kept trying to distract myself – to switch what song I was thinking of, but whenever I would…”

Another song floated through the mist. The same singer, the girl concluded.

I’m standing on the sword of the dragon

He can’t pull it from beneath my feat

“It didn’t really help the situation much. Every song I ended up hearing in my head was some sort of song of fantasy.”

And again the song changed.

Where will you be when the moon turns to blood?

When the sun won’t shine, and the stars fall from above?

The mist brooded. What did you do then?

The boy shook his head. “I started running through all the songs I had in my head, wondering just why the only ones coming up were songs of fantasy.” The boy raised his head in annoyance. “Really, fantasy! Of all things.” He glared at nothing in particular.

What was so bad with that?

“All of those songs reflect those realities I can’t have, that’s why.”

The boy suddenly seemed to get a thought, but the mist shifted once again and the expression of thought passed from the boy’s face.

Let’s keep you non-lucid right now, okay?‘ Thought the girl in the mist. She waited.

“Uh… well… either way.” Elliot shook his head in confusion. “I fumbled around in my head, trying to find the song I was looking for. It wasn’t the safest thing to be doing, distracting myself that much, but then again I don’t know why it was so distracting. Come to think of it, I was distracting myself so much that I almost missed a turn and I had to brake hard and swing the wheel around quick.” An extremely annoyed expression crossed the boy’s face. “I almost ran off the road when I hit the horn by accident, because I always jump back when I do that. I HATE it when-“

The boy’s reiteration suddenly stopped and he put a hand to his head, wincing. Back in the lab, the genius also had an annoyed expression on her face. Throwing her fingers across her translucent keyboard, she swore at the screen.

“Can’t you just stop thinking long enough to finish?” the redhead scolded. Her fingers stopped on a key and she waited for the boy’s memories to start unspooling again.

On the screen, the boy relaxed. Reluctantly, the scientist did as well.

Close the hatches and lower the sails

This storm is whipping great balls of hail

“I had almost reached the gravel road to my house when that happened, and from that point on, I seemed to grow more and more agitated and broody.”

Broody? You?

The misty girl giggled.

Really, now. What do you mean by that?

The boy considered for a minute before replying.

“I’m not really sure. Something just didn’t feel right. Heck, nothing felt right, from then up till-“

The mist cut him off.

So, what happened next?

Tempest is raging, pulling us down

Time to learn to swim, boy, or time to drown.

“Right about then I hit the gravel. Nothing new to me, just another part of my route home: ‘Out of the city to Ellis Boulevard, a paved road, down that until the pavement turns to gravel, and then a mile past Ramelsburg Hill with all the trees.’ Thanks, mom. Every day of the week.” The boy remembered something and chucked. “Everyone else in my family gets so annoyed that we live west of town, because it means that the sun is in our eyes both going into town in the morning and coming home in the evening. I don’t care – I like it. I’ve always liked the sight of the rising sun and the feel of the sun shining through my windshield, and I often look up toward it.”

‘Even if mom does say I’ll go blind from doing that.’ The boy added silently.

Interesting.

“It is!” the boy agreed. “Especially on that day.” He added almost proudly.

Oh? How so?

“Well, it was only just nearing noon at that time, so the sun should have been directly above me, and yet… behind the hill, there was…”

Oars have broke, your time to kneel

This storm is screaming with the vengeance to KILL

“I gunned the gutless engine in my truck to get up Ramelsburg hill, like I usually do when I get to that spot in the rout home, and I looked up, and…”

The girl was becoming a little impatient.

And? And what?

“Well, I saw the hill, and the road, and the forest on the left, and maybe… a light shining over from the other side of the hill? It was like an oncoming car at night, but brighter, even brighter than that. It was as if the sun was directly behind the hill! And it was the middle of the day!”

The boy turned to the mist for a second. “How the heck is that supposed to happen when it’s not dark? How could that happen?”

I don’t know.

The mist replied glibly.

Some odd things…happen, you know.

“But it had been bright as day one minute-“

The boy stopped altogether, his memory suspended.

The redhead back in the lab held her finger on one key as it glowed red, her fierce glare leveled at the screen and the boy on it. Slowly she turned where she sat. Her finger never left the key it was on as her gaze shifted to the boy on the table. The genius’s eyes narrowed as she made a very rare gut decision and lifted her finger. She spun back and continued watching.

Faith is plunged into the sea beneath

The waves beat the ship with iron fists to sink

[/spoil]

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Day 14:

Revised up through chapter seven, “Realizations”.

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Day 16:

Hit Control-R instead of something else. Swore.

Revised chapter eight, “Moving In”.

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Day 18:

Revised chapter nine, “Oddities”. Realized just how much I don’t catch on the first round of revising, and make it a standard to read through and revise each of the current chapters twice before updating them.

Scowl at how little progress I’ve made.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      *Just gets around to noticing this thread only now (sorry, but I am in Spain after all)*

Anyway, I really like this concept of a “month of work” dedicated to your story! I hope it turns out to be a worthwhile endeavor! I can’t commit to big segments for the next two weeks or so, but I’d be happy to look at any smaller snippets you’d care to share. Best of luck to you, FW, and keep up the good work!

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Day A1:

Reflects upon the past week.

Coughs.

Hello. Sorry to have been out like I have, it’s just been… well… busy. In short, I left my job (on good terms) so that a friend of mine could fill in that spot, and then left for a two- to four-week vacation back home to Iowa. Dad is willing to pay me $10 an hour to work around the farm, and… well, that’s cool.

So I drove home, and immediately left for AnimeIowa and did That AnimeIowa Thing. (sans glomps and tribbles). Upon getting home (again) I was asked if I could help my brother move to the U.P. or Wisconsin or something, and I agreed.

Now I’m at OshKosh Air Show.

Yeah. That… that’s about it. I left Kansas exactly a week ago, and this is now. No gaps.

Again, sorry to you and even more so to the story and Washuu. She has been waiting, you know.

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Day A16:

Finished revising the rest of the chapters posted on ff.net.

Here’s the next one I’ll be putting up:
      [spoil]15: Break Out of the Trance

Static. Stasis. Equilibrium.

Static. Stasis. Equilibrium.

Static-

“Tsunami.”

Well, so much for stasis.

‘What is it, Shayne Andrews?’

“Do you think we could talk for a minute? Out of this static-TV-globe-thingy? With, you know, WORDS?”

‘Is it truly difficult for you to communicate in thought, Shayne Andrews?’

“Heck if I know. I just think it’s weird to ‘talk’ like that after growing up talking. You know, with my mouth.”

“I see.” sighed the goddess as she manifest them both in her chamber of trees. One of the trees shimmered, bringing forth a tea-table set for two. Tsunami sat.

“Uhm… when… how did that get there?” inquired the boy. No reply was given. “Okay. Nevermind, I guess.”

He sat opposite of the goddess and examined his cup.

“You’ve caused quite the stir in the palace,” began Tsunami after a sip of tea. “The trees still murmur about it now.”

The teen simply stared into his cup as the goddess poured him tea. “Sounds like I’ve been in here a while.”

The figure opposite of him smiled, knowing how different one’s perception is from within time.

“You don’t need to be concerned about that. We are within myself; here time does not run out.”

A moment of silence passed over the waters before the goddess spoke again.

“You said you wanted to talk.”

Finally the scowling teen took a sip of the tea and found his voice again.

“Yeah. You mind telling me what happened back there? In the palace I mean.”

“What can you tell me?” the goddess rebutted.

“That’s my point – I don’t remember all of what happened, and I don’t like what I’ve seen in your… static.” He waved at nothing in particular. “Whatever that is.”

“It is all the trees and all the time of Jurai,” Tsunami explained. “What you saw is what happened and no more.”

“So, let me get this straight. I went to the palace with Mikumo, saw Lady Seto, recognized her… and bolted?”

“You ran, yes. That is what the trees saw.”

Again Shayne scowled and mumbled. “Yay. I’m a coward.” He took another drink of the strange brew. “So I ran, right? And I fell? Into… a tree?” He smirked at his last words.

“You found me, or rather I met you, in the hall of Jurai’s royal trees.” she conceded before pouring more tea for herself. ” The Lady had become quite angry and you were helpless to escape her – even though you could do her no good.”

She raised her cup to drink again.

“The Devil Princess was angry. And so you imprisoned me.”

The goddess looked over the rim of her cup. “How so?”

“Well, I’m stuck here, aren’t I?” the teen barked.

Tsunami did not answer, but finished off her tea in one pull.

“…I seriously fell into a freaking tree??” The teen hissed through a grimace.

Tsunami’s cup clinked onto its plate and she opened her eyes again, forcing Shayne back into the static.

Who’s in charge of this program here?

Break out of the trance

Again Shayne stood trapped in an endless scene of static. With a tea-cup.

“Seriously?” he raged. Looking down at his tea, the boy paused and soon found himself becoming more patient. He took a sip and thought aloud.

“I fell into a tree. Wow.”

Another sip.

“But… That doesn’t change the fact that I’m here. Now.”

I can’t get anywhere advancing to the rear

Break out of the trance

“But falling into that tree somehow led me here. To Tsunami. To this… place, I guess. Could a tree lead me out? Couldn’t it? But… what tree is there…” he trailed off, again pulling at his tea.

He pondered, and, thinking back to his conversation with the goddess, one thing she said stuck out to him: “It is all the trees and all the time of Jurai,” Tsunami had explained to him.

“Hey, yeah! ‘What you saw is what happened,’ she said… so, this static can actually be everything that’s going on right now? Really?”

We all know you haven’t lost your mind

But if you close your eyes, it’s the same as being blind

Shayne finished off his tea and slipped the cup onto his pinky before trekking ‘over to’ one edge of the static.

“Still wish I knew how that happens.”

He reached out his hand and arbitrarily poked at one static ‘flake’, steadying it. He ‘pushed’ at it, forwarding carefully through all of the years’ sights of the tree he had touched upon until it stopped.

“So it comes to the end, which is… now? I guess.”

We’re under the stupor of the ritual we keep

He looked for a second before letting his train of thought wander. “So… what next? What I’m seeing is what’s happening now, okay. So I know what’s going on. Maybe if I could fit through it, it would work the same way that got me stuck in here.”

He stopped, realizing he could be on to something. Staring at the view he had chosen, Shayne reached his other hand out, the teacup falling from it, and tried to toy around with the bit of static he was keeping stable.

“There’s got to be a way. I can do this.” he muttered to himself.

He soon found a sort of grip on the view for each hand, and he found it had some give to it. Forcing himself to be patient, he began to pull the image toward him, enlarging it as it approached, arcing toward him. The view became quite clear – looking out of a Jurian’s tree and through a shallow woods. Beyond lay a road, passing and turning away to the right into the outskirts of the capitol.

The routine is comforting

Don’t want to face the unknown

And so we give up our shot at the freedom we’re shown?

Shayne twisted his grip on the image-gate around him, turning his hands backwards. He slowly let the image shrink behind him, passing him fully out of the static place of Tsunami and into the tree. He looked back at the image as is shrank as much as he let it, until he felt it stop pulling, and Shayne noted how it remained as large as he had left it.

“Looks like getting back won’t be a problem,” He rolled his eyes. “IF I ever would want to go back.”

He was, truly and completely, in a Juraian’s tree. Yes, the boy was clueless as to whose is was, but he was there nonetheless.

Go and take what you’ve been taken for!

You can’t miss it: there’s only one real door

“Okay, okay. I can see this tree’s… space. And outside. Cool.”

Break out of the trance

“Let’s go, Shaynester.”

Break out of the trance

He wasn’t even sure how, but as he tried to step out of the tree… he stepped out. He walked from the dim, grainy, pool-like atmosphere of the tree’s interior into the sunlight filtering through the leave above, and he smiled.

Break out of the trance

Then he looked back at the tree. The very solid, unopen, inaccessable safety of the tree he had just left.

Wait… what trance?[/spoil]

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Day A20:

Gave a once-over on the completed half of the next chapter, as follows.

[spoil]16: The Weasel

“Okay, let me get this straight.”

Elliot was once again in The Lab talking to its resident genius scientist. He sat on the floor of that same section of the lab they had been in when the topic of Seina had first arisen.

“I designed and built an Ohki-type spaceship capable of merging with a Juraian core, and then…”

“Gave it away to Captain Seina Yamada of the Galaxy Police. Yes.”

“Really.” She deadpanned, tilting down on her hover-pillow.

“Yup!”

There was a moment of quiet as the scientist tried to justify in her head what ‘she’ had done. Well, according to a human teen slider, that is.

Washuu exhaled in consternation. “Maybe I just need to get out more.”

“Hah!” the boy snorted. “What makes you think you’d be any different out there around people after twenty thousand ye-“

“Time,” she interjected.

“Oh, yes. Sorry.” He had forgotten that they were potentially going to be in a bit of a time crunch. “Back to work…”

Washuu sat, facing the teen. “What details can you tell me?”

“Oh, goodness.” Elliot bit his lip and reclined on the floor. “Nothing. Nothing much. You made it. It had a form like young Ryo-Ohki, but was named Fuku-Ohki. Um… the core unit was affected by the emotional support of the crew? Or something like that. And Tarant tried to clone her.” That caught the scientist’s attention.

“Mm? What’s that?”

The boy looked at her. “Tarant Shank. He kidnapped her -I mean the Fuku unit- and unsuccessfully tried to clone her to make more ships.”

“The same Shank that captains the Didalos?”

The boy didn’t recognize the name, so Washuu pulled up an image of the ship on a consol screen.

“Oh…”

The redhead turned back to her notes. “‘Oh,’ you say? I thought I had noticed some correlations.”

“With what?”

“With your appearance,” She replied. “And, of course, the missing time-space that is now cleared up… almost…”

Washuu continued to type as she trailed off.

Now you see me, now you don’t

And look for me – now you won’t

Elliot was about to ask when the scientist cut him off. “Hang on. Just a second, there, cutie.”

He closed his mouth, suppressing a blush at the off-hand flirt.

Again a moment of typing passed before Washuu paused.

“You saw that ship when you were in transfer to this world, correct?”

Fear crawled across the younger one’s face as he looked at the sight again. He shook his head.

“y- yeah. What is it? I don’t remember it from the videos at all.”

“The flagship of Tarant Shank’s pirate rabble, if they can be called that. He’s led them into pulling off some vicius and downright surprising stunts, but what he was doing trying manifesting in your reality…”

Even the redhead now fell silent as she gave the image of the ship a rival’s stare.

“It’s alright, Washu.”

She looked to the boy. He remained sitting, staring at his clentched hands.

“I do remember Tarant, and I remember that he was- is, evil. I remember that he’s daring, yes, but I also know that I’m here.” Elliot smiled. “And that’s where I want to be. If Tarant had some weird plan in mind, I think it failed.”

The scientist frowned. “Or it’s on its way. What if he’s the reason behind this hole in all space-time connected Seina Yamada? You said yourself they were harsh rivals.”

The boy laughed. Maybe just a chuckling laugh, but it still caught Washu off-guard.

“Well, we’ll just have to face him down if that’s so, huh?” He grinned up at the agless redhead, eyes gleaming with mischief and adventure.[/spoil]

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.