WTF Did I Just Watch?! – Anime Edition

Forums Off Topic Other Anime WTF Did I Just Watch?! – Anime Edition

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    This should be a fun one… ;P

Anyway, as we all know, anime can get pretty freaking weird at times. Whether that weirdness comes from simple cultural differences or just plain old insane writing and art style, anime weirdness is often the most ridiculous (and often unintentionally entertaining) of any media. This thread is devoted to the worst (or best?) examples of outrageously absurd anime craziness. The good, the bad, and the ugly; this is the place for sharing and reveling in anime that hurt our heads and cause us to question how we got into this stuff in the first place, lol!

For my first entry I have to choose the Revolutionary Girl Utena movie: Adolescence of Utena. Holy crap this movie… where to even begin? There’s the insane (and physically impossible) architecture of the castle where everybody lives (which also happens to sit on top of a humongous monster truck apparently). There’s the incomprehensible plot, complete with incest, roofies, and people that inexplicably turn into cars at the end. Then there’s the characters, including a ghost (I think?) who’s entire motivation seems to be to bone every woman in sight to make up for being sexually abused by his pedophile father as a child, a super horny princess with a hole through her chest (which produces a magic sword in battle!), and the aforementioned people who randomly turn into cars, all of whom are at any given moment trying to kill or sleep with each other at the drop of a hat. I haven’t seen the Utena TV series, so maybe all of this actually makes perfect sense, but somehow I highly doubt it… Anyway, that’s it for me (for now), now it’s your turn to share the animes that left you scratching your head, and/or reaching for an aspirin at the end! Let the insanity begin!

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Replies
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

I haven’t seen the Utena TV series, so maybe all of this actually makes perfect sense, but somehow I highly doubt it…

O, ye of little faith… ;)

WisperG
      lol The Utena movie, anime metaphor and symbolism at its finest.

I haven’t seen anything Utena (although I own the first DVD set), but I am well aware of how wacky the movie is. It was probably not the best place to jump into that universe. But don’t let the WTF-ness of the movie stop you from checking out the TV show. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. I need to get around to watching the series myself sometime, my DVD are starting to collect dust… />.>” title=”>.>” class=”bbcode_smiley” /></p>
<p>I wish I had something more significant to contribute to this thread, but off the top of my head the only things that truly made me go “WTF did I just watch?” were Episode 6 of Tenchi OVA 3 and End of Evangelion.  </p>
<p>That episode of OVA 3 did it to me not only because of the info-dump and crazy plot-twists, but because of that jarring and completely uncalled for time-skip between eps.5 & 6. The gang hadn’t even met Z yet at the end of ep.5, but then ep.6 starts us off right-smack in the middle of their climactic battle. I seriously thought I’d accidentally skipped over an episode the first time I watched it.</p>
<p>As for EoE… most of us here have seen it, right? Does any more really need to be said about it? lol</t></div>

</div>
    </div>
    </div>
</div></li>
<li>
<div id=

Nobuyuki
      Participant

WisperG wrote:

That episode of OVA 3 did it to me not only because of the info-dump and crazy plot-twists, but because of that jarring and completely uncalled for time-skip between eps.5 & 6. The gang hadn’t even met Z yet at the end of ep.5, but then ep.6 starts us off right-smack in the middle of their climactic battle. I seriously thought I’d accidentally skipped over an episode the first time I watched it.

Why does almost everyone skip the scene after the ED credits? smh

WisperG

Nobuyuki wrote:

WisperG wrote:

That episode of OVA 3 did it to me not only because of the info-dump and crazy plot-twists, but because of that jarring and completely uncalled for time-skip between eps.5 & 6. The gang hadn’t even met Z yet at the end of ep.5, but then ep.6 starts us off right-smack in the middle of their climactic battle. I seriously thought I’d accidentally skipped over an episode the first time I watched it.

At the end of which episode? If you mean ep.5 I could have sworn I went back and checked for an extra scene just in case, but I don’t recall if there actually was anything. Then again, its been almost 2 years since I’ve seen OVA 3, so I may be forgetting something.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

WisperG wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

WisperG wrote:

At the end of which episode? If you mean ep.5 I could have sworn I went back and checked for an extra scene just in case, but I don’t recall if there actually was anything. Then again, its been almost 2 years since I’ve seen OVA 3, so I may be forgetting something.

I believe Nobuyuki is referring to THIS. Honestly, I was never too fond of the placement of this scene for the very reason demonstrated above. It’s too easy to skip over and cause massive confusion. I understand the appeal of post-credit scenes when done correctly, i.e. the various Marvel movies, but notice that those examples never contain plot advancement that is absolutely critical to know before the outset of the next installment.

Anyway, back to topic. EoE is certainly not without it’s share of mindfuckery, but I’ve always walked away from my viewings of it feeling like, at least subconsciously, I understood what was going on and its meaning. I’ve even come to the point where I even feel an unexplainable empowerment after it’s over, as opposed to the deep rage/confusion/disappointment I felt immediately after my first viewing. There is still one part, however, that never fails to leave me utterly confused and arriving at a different conclusion each time. Yes, I’m talking about the sandbox scene. Seriously, wtf… At first it seems to be a relatively shallow and obvious metaphor, but upon closer analysis it opens a pandora’s box of infinite and conflicting symbolism/metaphors that just defies all attempts at neatly labeling it.

WisperG

chucklocker wrote:

I believe Nobuyuki is referring to THIS. Honestly, I was never too fond of the placement of this scene for the very reason demonstrated above. It’s too easy to skip over and cause massive confusion. I understand the appeal of post-credit scenes when done correctly, i.e. the various Marvel movies, but notice that those examples never contain plot advancement that is absolutely critical to know before the outset of the next installment.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!? I have no recollection of that extra scene. I must’ve skipped it after all. I’ll chalk that up to some of FUNi’s old DVDs having inadequate chapter-skip points. Instead of having another one at the end of the credits so you can skip straight to the preview (or in this case, an extra scene), sometimes they would just skip straight to the start of the next episode. Fortunately, I haven’t encountered this problem on their newer releases.

Quote:

Anyway, back to topic. EoE is certainly not without it’s share of mindfuckery, but I’ve always walked away from my viewings of it feeling like, at least subconsciously, I understood what was going on and its meaning. I’ve even come to the point where I even feel an unexplainable empowerment after it’s over, as opposed to the deep rage/confusion/disappointment I felt immediately after my first viewing. There is still one part, however, that never fails to leave me utterly confused and arriving at a different conclusion each time. Yes, I’m talking about the sandbox scene. Seriously, wtf… At first it seems to be a relatively shallow and obvious metaphor, but upon closer analysis it opens a pandora’s box of infinite and conflicting symbolism/metaphors that just defies all attempts at neatly labeling it.

I feel the same way. I understood parts of it, but it was just that immediately following my initial viewing I was mulling it over and trying to wrap my head around certain aspects of it. That sandbox scene was the biggest “What does it mean!?” contender for me too. That part confused the crap outta me, even after browsing theory’s on EvaGeeks. I don’t quite have that same “WTF” reaction to anything in EoE anymore, but I did that one time, so I opted to mention it anyways.

Also, that last sentence of yours would probably be an apt description of the Utena movie as well. I’ve read several wildly different theories on it, and its not easy to pin down one particular meaning for… well, almost anything in that movie.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

WisperG wrote:

Also, that last sentence of yours would probably be an apt description of the Utena movie as well. I’ve read several wildly different theories on it, and its not easy to pin down one particular meaning for… well, almost anything in that movie.

Gender roles and the sexual revolution. That’s the metaphor I walked/crawled drooling across the floor away with. Don’t ask for more specifics or reasonings, because that’s all I got, lol.

The cover to EOE always turned me off as in what the heck?This is why I have never bothered to buy or watch it.

As far as Utena goes,the first arch which is The Student Council Saga also includes an episode involving

body swapping.

Now speaking of sex one of the lead female characters in Devil Lady is actually male and there’s even an episode where they show her passport and it says she’s male but there is also an episode where she’s shown

fully nude and well…it has to do with an important plot point.

chucklocker wrote:

THAT scene? I knew of it… but I always thought it was the beginning of episode 6.

But what about the ending for EoE, where Shinji’s still doing THAT to Asuka? Just… why? And I’ve seen some of Terry Gilliam’s works, but they don’t mindfuck like THAT does. Seriously- he HAD the power (technically speaking), and yet…

Anonymous
      I’m going to throw in Betterman simply because I had absolutely no idea what was going on until the last 4 or so episodes and even then It’s not because it was hard to follow, it’s simply because things happened with what seemed no real reason to. Maybe when the re-release happens I’ll give it another watch but it still just boggles my mind how that show just threw things in and I somehow missed every time it may or may not have explained it, lol.

Oh and Brain Powerd (yes that’s not a misspelling), you want to talk about the real Eva-clone in the room that looked like one, It had all the NERV-like pseudo political goings on, but was far too top heavy in some ways like Gundam Wing and things, again, just seemed to pop into existence for the sake of it. So if you want 2 mech shows that are semi enjoyable to watch but you won’t ever really understand, go with those 2.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I recently finished RahXephon, and, without any spoilers…I mean I loved it, but by the end, well…”wtf did I just watch?”
      shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      I LOVE me some RahXephon. ^^ The ending does get pretty crazy. Evangelion tops it on “WTF did I just watch” endings, particularly the last 2 episodes of the show, but RahXephon is excellent and in my opinion stands very well on its own.
      "For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

shadowsfall0 wrote:

I LOVE me some RahXephon. ^^ The ending does get pretty crazy. Evangelion tops it on “WTF did I just watch” endings, particularly the last 2 episodes of the show, but RahXephon is excellent and in my opinion stands very well on its own.

Well said. Is it Eva-esque? Yes, but considering when it was made, it’s hardly surprising, and is actually a compliment in my opinion (Eva kinda spawned a certain mech sub-genre). But even so, it does stand well enough on its own two feet and was a very enjoyable experience, particularly for a film studies guy like me! I suspect there are too many tidbits to have all been ingested upon one viewing, which gives me reason to go back to it someday; and the cinematography? FORGETABOUTIT! It’s gorgeous.

Funny thing is that Betterman and Rahxephon are two of my top twenty five favorite series. kiyonesmile1

The thing about Betterman is you realize at the end that it really in a way comes back to the beginning

and Keita’s dream in episode 1.

As far as Rahxephon goes: can anyone watch that one episode the one where Ayato battles Asahina’s dolem not knowing until the end that he’s really fighting her and ends up killing her,and at the end realizes what he’s done too late when he reads her last words:Ayato,I love youwithout a tear?

Yeah Rahxephon as the entire Neon Genesis Evangelion vipe but with more likeable characters.

I think we really care more for what happens to Asahina than say Asuka in the end.

btw:afaig with Betterman who can’t but like a show where the main heroine has funky rainbow hair! iloveit1

I should’ve mentioned it before, but Mirai Nikki/The Future Diary should have a place on here. Why? Well why have ME spoil it for you???
      jgzinv
      Yeah I’ve seen it… Chuck saw a small sample in the AMVs at the last Ohayocon.

Yuno definitely ranks up there in the most deranged and obsessed anime characters of all time.

Another couple classics should be in here….

Serial Experiments Lain

Boogiepop Phantom

Paranoia Agent

Seriously… that was the order they aired on TV, and I’ve always felt they

somewhat dealt with similar issues, so they were sort of a pseudo-series.

All 3 may make you “WTF” in the first 2 episodes at least once.

Guilty Crown.. the last half… is entirely a depressing WTF.

JGZinv wrote:

Another couple classics should be in here….

Serial Experiments Lain

Boogiepop Phantom

Paranoia Agent

Seriously… that was the order they aired on TV, and I’ve always felt they

somewhat dealt with similar issues, so they were sort of a pseudo-series.

All 3 may make you “WTF” in the first 2 episodes at least once.

Guilty Crown.. the last half… is entirely a depressing WTF.

I’m 2/4 on those there (Boogiepop Phantom and Paranoia Agent).

I’ve seen all three.The one that really confuses me is the ending to Paranoia Agent.

As far as Boogiepop Phantom goes,you really have to either read the novel,Boogiepop And Others

or the manga Boogiepop Doesn’t Laugh or watch the live action prequel movie,Boogiepop And Others

to really get what’s going on.Boogiepop Phantom basically takes place right after the events of the original

novel.I think it’s a matter of a month or so but it’s really not too soon afterwards.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.